ADVERTISEMENT

ACC vs SEC matchups today

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
Did not take long for some intriguing matchups between ACC and SEC Baseball teams in Regionals. Most amazing statistic is WF going 27 consecutive innings without scoring a run in NCAA tournament games …… the VCU pitcher was very good, but even their reliever handcuffed the Deacons. Duke, GT and WF combined for 1 run in 27 innings, that is hard to explain.

Reactions: earsky
Six walkoff wins yesterday. Buckle up and yeah I feel sick we aren’t part of something we all came to see as second nature. It’s time for our guys to step it up!

Did not take long for some intriguing matchups between ACC and SEC Baseball teams in Regionals. Most amazing statistic is WF going 27 consecutive innings without scoring a run in NCAA tournament games …… the VCU pitcher was very good, but even their reliever handcuffed the Deacons. Duke, GT and WF combined for 1 run in 27 innings, that is hard to explain.
Strange things happen in these regionals if you can get there. The cream likely rising to the top after this crazy weekend.

UNC was dead going into the bottom of the 9th down 8-5, but scored 6 runs to advance. I see some parallel in UNC and LSU, as Wofford played the Tigers even until the bottom of the ninth before the real winners stepped up when it counted the most.

Coastal Carolina humiliated Vandy, while UNC Wilmington did the same to GT ........... little consolation for UL, but it does serve as evidence that parity in college baseball has definitely arrived.

Long Island U, WMU, Penn, Wofford, Army, Evansville, JMU, Nicholls, VCU, High Point, GCU each gave formidable performances against more resourced opponents; displaying some impressive array of talent. There were many kids that I saw on several of these games who could have certainly helped UL this last season, and are worthy of consideration as we dive into the Portal.

Reactions: rh62531
And I’m not trying to hijack your post @2330859 by putting our Program in the conversation,but oh how I long for the days.🙁
This was always such a fun time of the year.

Reactions: 2330859 and Deeva
I am fine with your most appropriate response to my OP, as everything that I post has some connection to UL. I too yearn for our return to those times, not so long ago, where we were not only relevant within the ACC, we were considered a traditional candidate for getting to Omaha.

ACC and $ec set to put 9 teams in the Supers.
The breakdown if you’re keeping score at home: ACC has 5 teams in the winner’s bracket,$ec 4
ACC 3 teams alive in the loser’s bracket,$ec 4

Last edited:
Hosting and having the bottom of the 9th inning at bat advantage is signifiant and explains why seeding is so critical in terms of advancing. There are a lot of teams that clearly earned that advantage, and deserve playing at home. However, at some point the system needs to be questioned as some conference teams simply qualify by virtue of the reputation of the conference.

For example, I cannot help but wonder what would happen if Coastal Carolina was the host school instead of Clemson?

Playing at home is certainly an advantage. Hitting last, IMO, means nothing. Each team has the same amount of outs.

The ACC is a legit baseball conference. That is why having a winning record in the conference should matter.

I don’t think home field really matters that much in baseball. Crowds don’t influence umps like in the bigger sports. Plus baseball has this unbelievable stupid rule that give the visiting team the home status in some games. Last at bat matters.

Reactions: 2330859
ACC with 4 so far moving on to Supers.
Virginia, FL St,Clemson and NC St.
LSU battles back to take nightcap from NC and force showdown in a must-see-TV elimination game tonight at 6.

UNC pitching in the early & middle innings was pathetic; one reliever threw 9 pitches before being yanked ......... 8 of the 9 were balls leading to 2 consecutive walks. The real irony is that despite playing so poorly, they had a chance to tie it up before striking out with bases loaded in the top of the 9th.

Yeah they had bases loaded a couple of times, never came through but LSU has some dudes pitching. All mid nineties with nasty stuff.

The ACC is a legit baseball conference. That is why having a winning record in the conference should matter.

I don’t think home field really matters that much in baseball. Crowds don’t influence umps like in the bigger sports. Plus baseball has this unbelievable stupid rule that give the visiting team the home status in some games. Last at bat matters.
Exactly, and the very definition of "walk-off" is sufficient evidence of the value in batting last. Sometimes its overlooked, but not having to go out and pitch in the ninth inning can save your pitching rotation ......... in a three-game series it can mean the home team might only defend for 24 innings, while the opponent has at least 27 innings.

I agree about the crowds having little influence on the umpires, particularly with the replay used so effectively, but I believe the host school does enjoy a significant advantage in college baseball over the visiting team, based on their having to sleep in a Hotel room over a long weekend.

It just depends how disciplined that teams are, the tendencies is to go out at night on the road as well something they may not do at home. It is always better to play at home just not sure it is a huge advantage. Arkansas has one of the best venues in the game and they went out. Louisville has lost its share of home tournament games.

Kind of figured the LSU and UNC game would be good and it didn’t disappoint. Really good pitching on both sides. So stupid UNC was the visitors.

Reactions: 2330859 and Bardman
My inclination was to chastise UNC hitting for so many missed opportunities early on with base runners in position to score; but in truth, the LSU pitching staff was just that effective at avoiding anything that was subject to leaving the yard. In fact, most of the walks the Tigers surrendered appeared to be a result of avoiding anything they Tarheels could crush.

Aside from WF and Duke, the ACC has performed exceptionally well. I believe WF coaching staff and fans would agree the Deacons performance was as disappointing as anything they ever imagined.

Reactions: Bardman
Good pitching always negates good hitting. Always has always will. If wood bats were a thing the game tying hit would have ended being a shattered bat. But that is college baseball.

It is amazing how few mistakes were made on the mound. Good pitch placement throughout. The 3-2 fastball to the LSU batter that had 27 HR was a thing of beauty. The worst result was going to be a walk. That was a pitcher that knew how to pitch.

I like hitting but when pitchers know how to locate their pitches it is pretty awesome.

Like I said the ACC is a legit conference. Louisville with a winning record in that kind of league record having awful metrics is puzzling.

Playing at home is certainly an advantage. Hitting last, IMO, means nothing. Each team has the same amount of outs.
Although I would point out that the host is not always the home team. They rotate every game. Crazy as it sounds LSU was the home team last night in the Chapel Hill Regional.

Aside from WF and Duke, the ACC has performed exceptionally well. I believe WF coaching staff and fans would agree the Deacons performance was as disappointing as anything they ever imagined.
I think Wake was guilty of peaking too soon, winning I think their first 16 games before cooling off. On the other hand, had we won the first two games of the season against tournament teams Indiana St and UConn, we might have been in the conversation on Selection Day.🤷

ACC continues to show out in the Supers! Oh, and….Go Beavers!

Reactions: Deeva
Well, the $EC will is filling up the MCWS. TAM ousts the Ducks. UT handles the Aces. I assume uk finished OSU. UGA may punch their ticket today. UF, who should not have even been in the tournament, dumps Clemson (not a good look for Clemson). BTW, I watched about 3 mins of the uk game last night. I know this…they look like we did about 6 years ago. Hungry players, excitement from the coaches, excitement from the bench. They spent their money well.

Reactions: nccardfan
Yep, UK plays exactly how Louisville used to play. Their pitching is really good. Offensively they are good enough.

Clemson didn’t have enough pitching.

SEC is just loaded with high end arms. Then offensively they are really good. Florida should have never been in the tournament but they have a lot of good players. Talent was never their issue.

Yep, UK plays exactly how Louisville used to play. Their pitching is really good. Offensively they are good enough.

Clemson didn’t have enough pitching.

SEC is just loaded with high end arms. Then offensively they are really good. Florida should have never been in the tournament but they have a lot of good players. Talent was never their issue.
ISn't that how Miss State won it 2-3 years ago? They got in when they shouldn't have (won the SEC tournament I think?) and then won the whole thing.

ISn't that how Miss State won it 2-3 years ago? They got in when they shouldn't have (won the SEC tournament I think?) and then won the whole thing.
Not really. MSU finished 2nd overall in SEC West with a 20-10 conference record which was actually tied with Tennessee who finished 1st in SEC East. Their overall record was 50-18. Beat ND in Super Regionals. Beat Texas 2 out of 3 and Virginia 2 out 3 to win championship in Omaha.

If I remember right, Ole Miss got in by winning $EC tournament. They’re pitching staff really sparked that whole run.

Advantage pitching

If I remember right, Ole Miss got in by winning $EC tournament. They’re pitching staff really sparked that whole run.

Advantage pitching
Ok that's what happened. I remember them both winning in the last few years.

Baseball tournaments are fun because it's all about who is hot at the right time. Dan was the best at getting our guys laser focused come tournament time.

College World Series is becoming regional. Not sure that is good for the sport.

I am still trying to figure out how Louisville in ACC, that was loaded, had terrible metrics. I won’t say they needed to be in but how weren’t they close to making it in?

Reactions: Bardman

I am still trying to figure out how Louisville in ACC, that was loaded, had terrible metrics. I won’t say they needed to be in but how weren’t they close to making it in?
Overall our strength of schedule was solid at #31

Quad 1 games we were 7-16
Quad 2 games we were 5-4
Quad 3 games we were 6-2
Quad 4 games we were 14-2

We played 17 combined Q2 and Q3 games and 16 total Q4 games.
Our problem was that we just were flat awful in Q1 games and not super dominant in the Q2.

Just say we were 10-13 in Q1, it probably makes a difference.
And it wasn't conference bias because UNC, FSU, Clemson, and UVA are all listed as top 10 RPI teams.

The ACC is top heavy. You just can't get dominated like we did against the better teams, you don't have to even be over .500 but you can't just be 12-20 against Q1 and Q2 combined.

Dan will get this figured out! Baseball is such a funny game. Best Teams have about a 70% winning percentage. You're going to lose games to teams, that are not better than you. " New grass on the field today boys, put me in coach, I'm ready to play."

Those weekend series where we were taking only 1 of 3 the difference. Just get 2 of those and win against UConn and Ind St(both tournament teams) and it's a different narrative.

Even so, there is not one team in the CWS located north of the Mason Dixon line. Best baseball continues to be played in the south, Louisville included. Virginia, UNC, NC St Tennessee and of course UK have very similar weather conditions as us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT