ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Tournament thread

Getting back to that in game interview with Mac, that was just bizarre. No fire, and the 'we just need to keep smiling" comment...I mean wtf Dan?

Completely turned over the ENTIRE Bball roster. I don't know if that's something Mac will even contemplate. Major changes have to be made. He's loyal to a fault with his guys. Not necessarily a bad personal trait but you know sometimes nice guys don't do the right thing.

Reactions: Deeva
Everything goes in cycles. This is a down cycle for this staff. They have done a poor job recruiting to their philosophy. Go through the pitching recruiting since Covid it is awful. Too many misses, bad evaluations and development.

I really wonder if they will or even want to adjust to this new world of NIL and the portal.

Reactions: Deeva and rh62531
Recruiting young guys is great if they stay. However if you lose the best young players to the portal high school recruiting is worthless.

I've seen a few fans here talking about McDonnell getting the boot and although I don't see that happening, him leaving on his own looks likely to me.

When you build a program into a powerhouse from the doghouse, you can pretty much control your destiny. Firing him would not be in Louisville baseball's best interest, but at the same time him moving on could be the change the program needs. It's a very peculiar situation.

I believe Coach Mac can only succeed with great pitching and defense and when he doesn't have that, he cannot adjust enough to win consistently.

Does anyone know of any significant names out there they think could be interested if McDonnell leaves? The programs stature should have the top coaches interested. We shouldn't have to settle.

Let’s be clear Coach Mac is Louisville baseball. He has earned the opportunity to fix it. He will be the person that ultimately decides if he stays or goes. He may leave or he may retire.

The question is does he want to continue coach in the environment? It is polar opposite to how he built it. That is a significant shift for him. He could leave for another school but the environment is still the same. Even the Vandy coach is struggling in this new world. Then the flip side UK is going to be an either the overall 1 or 2 seed with 90 percent of their roster being transfers. Who had that at the beginning of the year?

I don’t see how you coach in this environment without embracing the portal. For someone who is really committed to development that is really hard.

Does anyone know of any significant names out there they think could be interested if McDonnell leaves? The programs stature should have the top coaches interested. We shouldn't have to settle.
Just about everybody and their brother probably. If there were a change just somebody young and smart. They’re literally everywhere.

Something is just off. Players and coaches. I am afraid multiple guys (who we’d like to keep) are going to transfer. No doubt, there are several who need to transfer and hopefully will. A couple of coaches need to transfer too.

Reactions: Mayoman and Deeva
Today's game was the whole season (actually the last 2 seasons) in a nutshell. Poor pitching, no clutch hitting, horrible base running, and poor preparation and coaching.

Just piss poor. Heird is going to have to sit down with Mac and figure some things out this off-season..

Reactions: Bardman and Deeva
Today's game was the whole season (actually the last 2 seasons) in a nutshell. Poor pitching, no clutch hitting, horrible base running, and poor preparation and coaching.

Just piss poor. Heird is going to have to sit down with Mac and figure some things out this off-season..
Definitely a thorough review of the "WHY" and "HOW" did this happen and where do we go from here to fix this needs to take place. Not a pleasant task to undergo but a necessary one for sure.

Just do it NIKE said.

I’ve voiced my concerns about The Program a few times at least over the last few seasons. Most of what I feel is wrong involves what we hear about in the majors so much- a happy clubhouse vs an unhappy one. When you’re continually fueling the Big Show with players,naturally your program just evolves into a players’ first program (kinda like the bball program 75 miles to the East).

Trying to keep everyone Happy😊in an environment where players are playing to get to the next level instead of playing for National championships is a daunting task. Couple that pressure that players put on themselves with underperforming individuals that aren’t on the field and you’ve got a lot of work to do to keep the clubhouse HAPPY😁

The culture inside that clubhouse needs to change from what can I do for myself to what can I do for my team. This Sophomore class has to lead the way next year. A #3 class,they need to change the culture that I see as the biggest problem over at 3rd and Central. Mac’s hands a bit tied here because of the nature of the sport. Not sure how he can contribute to changing the major league machine over there-delicate.

Just my 2 cents

I agree with this. College baseball is even more about getting to the next level than other sports because of the minor league system. Players know it may take more than 4 years just to get called up to the majors, so if they're not performing up to par, their entire mindset isn't about the team, but their pro ball opportunities.

When Louisville was dominating, it had quite a few players who were right on schedule to make the big leagues after a season or two in the minors. There wasn't much worrying about how long it would be before they see the big leagues because they were really good.

So it was all about team at least until that junior year when the decision to enter the draft definitely conflicted with the season. A combination of MLB talent and team ball mentality was what made Coach McDonnell the success he is.

Since Covid, he just hasn't had that kind of players in abundance and we see now how that has affected the program.

So do we still have a shot at advancing if Miami beats Clemson and we beat Clemson Friday?
Am I understanding that right or wrong?

So do we still have a shot at advancing if Miami beats Clemson and we beat Clemson Friday?
Am I understanding that right or wrong?
ACCT - no. We done. 🤮 Beat Clemson and maybe they squeak into the big tourney - but doubtful.

Reactions: earsky
UM beats Clemson they advance.
Clemson beats UM…
Clemson beats UofL - Clemson advances
UofL beats Clemson,,,
I believe UM advances.

Canes knocked off Clemson to win our pool and advance to the semis. If they were to win the ACCT, that would not help our cause, because they would be a bid stealer.

Canes knocked off Clemson to win our pool and advance to the semis. If they were to win the ACCT, that would not help our cause, because they would be a bid stealer.
We have no cause. No way does Louisville belong in the tournament and no kind of crossing fingers is going to change that. I hate saying this, but it's obviously true.

Louisville shouldn’t have gotten in based of metrics. Florida gets in despite having 27 losses because their metrics are good.

I think it is safe to say their metrics don’t make any sense. Florida is 28-27. In what world did they earn their spot?

Just ridiculous.

Louisville shouldn’t have gotten in based of metrics. Florida gets in despite having 27 losses because their metrics are good.

I think it is safe to say their metrics don’t make any sense. Florida is 28-27. In what world did they earn their spot?

Just ridiculous.
Florida AD is on the selection committee.

• Wow

Just ridiculous.
We didn't earn or deserve a spot. Had we gotten in it would've just been more of the same.. Don't know how Florida got in. Probably on strength of schedule. But I could really not care less who got in cause like I said, we didn't deserve a spot.

It’s not about UL being worthy of consideration; it’s about the flawed system of selection and seeding. The influence of ESPN and their bias for SEC is clearly evident once again. The SEC is very good in all sports, but when a 28-27 record is worthy of post season tournament; it further strengthens the argument about preferential treatment to some and not others.

It’s not about UL being worthy of consideration; it’s about the flawed system of selection and seeding. The influence of ESPN and their bias for SEC is clearly evident once again. The SEC is very good in all sports, but when a 28-27 record is worthy of post season tournament; it further strengthens the argument about preferential treatment to some and not others.
Well said.

I understand your point earsky, but from my perspective when the process is tilted in favor of one conference, everyone should feel "screwed". In addition to who is selected, and who is left out .............think about the advantage of hosting.

Reactions: Bardman
I understand your point earsky, but from my perspective when the process is tilted in favor of one conference, everyone should feel "screwed". In addition to who is selected, and who is left out .............think about the advantage of hosting.
This is exactly right. It may of not impacted Louisville this year but it could in other years. Northern teams are at a distinct disadvantage building their schedules. Teams have to play regional teams in their mid week games. It ultimately impacts their SOS. It hurts their metrics and there is no way around it. Instead of bolstering their ACC play it hurts them.

Florida can play midweek games against quality competition that bolsters their SEC play.

Then the whole it matters who is on the committee, Jesus talk about a screwed up process.

I'm not saying the system isn't flawed, it is. However,in years when we've taken care of our business we've gotten a national seed and we've hosted many regionals and Supers. My point is, I'm only worried about LOUISVILLE and I can't remember a time where we got screwed out of being in the tournament or hosting.

Like @earsky said, if we would've been the last team out or one of the last 4 out I might bitch, but that's not the case so I really don't care. Best way not to get left out or be on the bubble is to take care of your own business.

Not really meaning to take this out on you,I'm just disgusted with our baseball program..

Reactions: rh62531
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT