ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Recruiting.

SchmidtyNole

5000+
Feb 19, 2007
Congrats on a Top 30 recruiting class Cards fans. Looking at the rankings there are 6 ACC teams in the Top 30 in Rivals recruiting Team Rankings. And all six of those teams are the teams you would assume would be the cream of the crop in Football in the ACC. Here are the teams with their rankings:

#5 FSU
#11 Miami
#22 Clemson
#28 Louisville
#29 North Carolina
#30 Virginia Tech

Those six schools are the teams that are most likely to be the kind of schools to always be ranked year after year after year rather than just being a flash in the pan. Plus, all of those schools have coaches that can develop their players. The future is bright for the ACC especially after a year like 2016 when we were the best conference.

Interesting factoid....Clemson achieved that #22 ranking with only 14 recruits!o_O How does that even happen?

Hats off to them......their staff must be super evaluater's of talent.

Clemson is still loaded....but UofL must beat them in 2017
They lost tremendous talent this year. There's plenty more to be sure, but the guys they lost will not be easily replaced. A repeat does not seem likely- too much would have to go right.

They lost tremendous talent this year. There's plenty more to be sure, but the guys they lost will not be easily replaced. A repeat does not seem likely- too much would have to go right.
It is a lot to replace.

But we were able to do it with classes in the 30's. Pretty sure they will too.

The key for us is getting them before all that talent gets EXPERIENCE to go with it. ;)

It's a start. The more success on the field, the better the success will be in the recruiting battles. Got to crawl before we walk. Got to walk before we run. We're up right walking fast. Next step is running. :D

Wierd that the NC didn't seem to have a major impact on Clemson recruiting. We though the ACC would give us a huge jump, but not so much. Maybe it's just tradition, and flagship status. If so, it may take decades of success really be able to compete for recruits with the top programs.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Wierd that the NC didn't seem to have a major impact on Clemson recruiting. We though the ACC would give us a huge jump, but not so much. Maybe it's just tradition, and flagship status. If so, it may take decades of success really be able to compete for recruits with the top programs.
NC's usually help with the following class because you have a whole year to recruit on it. The guys already know their top schools and where they want to go by the time the game is played. 14 guys shows me that Dabo and co were all in on the national championship this year and slept on the job a little in the recruiting department. A small class is generally at least 18. 14 is not a full class.

NC's usually help with the following class because you have a whole year to recruit on it. The guys already know their top schools and where they want to go by the time the game is played. 14 guys shows me that Dabo and co were all in on the national championship this year and slept on the job a little in the recruiting department. A small class is generally at least 18. 14 is not a full class.

If you look at average player rankings in the classes only Alabama, Ohio State and Stanford are higher than Clemson's class this year. Clemson's class is average of 4*. They are bringing in the #1 QB in the country and 9 of ESPN's top 300. This class was set for a long time except for the La. RB that was a replacement for a decommit.

If you only have 85 scholarships and you don't red shirt anyone you could still only sign about 21 per year without running kids off and pulling schollies. If you red shirt then you will not have but about 17 a year to give.

Wierd that the NC didn't seem to have a major impact on Clemson recruiting. We though the ACC would give us a huge jump, but not so much. Maybe it's just tradition, and flagship status...
No "maybe" about it... History shows that one season's event, no matter how significant, has minimal effects on recruiting. It's about WHO you are and HOW LONG you've been who you are. Takes time and hard work to get there...

Like Cousin, I tend to focus more on star rankings too because class size is a one-year bias that should even out over time. (Everyone uses all of their scholarships eventually.) But a ranking or a number can be misleading with an imprecise measurement like a star rating. It's why I think you should apply statistics when ranking and comparing teams on this basis...
ACC%20recruiting%202017_zpswk1xas0j.jpg

These are the average star ratings for the ACC classes arranged highest to lowest. The vertical bars on the right connect the schools that are not different from each other statistically. I didn't crunch the numbers again for these populations of data, but in the past, a difference of about 0.3 or less between two classes was not statistically significant.

While it means that the classes for Clemson and FSU are statistically better than the next group of schools (Miami, UNC, and U of L), this analysis makes no claim on how much a fractional star difference of 0.4, 0.5, or 0.6 means in terms of talent or ability. I've always maintained that some of the rating is based on maturity--some four-star high schools seniors are no better than three-star college sophomores. And some of the difference is real and hard to overcome.

As Schmidty points out, however, it's good that more ACC schools are improving on the recruiting trail. That will also help FSU and Clemson maintain the respect that they deserve...

Like Cousin, I tend to focus more on star rankings too because class size is a one-year bias that should even out over time. (Everyone uses all of their scholarships eventually.) But a ranking or a number can be misleading with an imprecise measurement like a star rating. It's why I think you should apply statistics when ranking and comparing teams on this basis...
ACC%20recruiting%202017_zpswk1xas0j.jpg

These are the average star ratings for the ACC classes arranged highest to lowest. The vertical bars on the right connect the schools that are not different from each other statistically. I didn't crunch the numbers again for these populations of data, but in the past, a difference of about 0.3 or less between two classes was not statistically significant.

While it means that the classes for Clemson and FSU are statistically better than the next group of schools (Miami, UNC, and U of L), this analysis makes no claim on how much a fractional star difference of 0.4, 0.5, or 0.6 means in terms of talent or ability. I've always maintained that some of the rating is based on maturity--some four-star high schools seniors are no better than three-star college sophomores. And some of the difference is real and hard to overcome.

As Schmidty points out, however, it's good that more ACC schools are improving on the recruiting trail. That will also help FSU and Clemson maintain the respect that they deserve...
Respect for FSU and Clemson is the least of my concerns.

Reactions: Don Pitinos Cards

That's all the scholarships they had.

Thinking when you post is not prohibited...
Zipp - my meaning is that those programs have respect and I don't worry about them not having respect any time soon. They will be more than fine on the recruiting trail given their tradition, reputation and geography.

Zipp - my meaning is that those programs have respect and I don't worry about them not having respect any time soon. They will be more than fine on the recruiting trail given their tradition, reputation and geography.
Here's the way I look it... Clemson and FSU fans are happiest when they play in a competitive league with a competitive schedule. The way that happens is for teams like U of L to be competitive. Otherwise, the stature of teams like Clemson and FSU is called into question.

And that cuts both ways: we look better when they do.

No one's worried about FSU being good because in the end, they will (and can) do what they have to do. Even if that means finding a new conference. I hope you recognize how much of a disaster it would be for us if that happened. THAT is precisely why it should concern you how well FSU looks IN THE ACC...

In other news Spring Enrollee CJ Avery sighting on campus today. Good to see D1 athletes who have free tutoring get up for 8AM classes in below freezing temperatures.

Here's the way I look it... Clemson and FSU fans are happiest when they play in a competitive league with a competitive schedule. The way that happens is for teams like U of L to be competitive. Otherwise, the stature of teams like Clemson and FSU is called into question.

And that cuts both ways: we look better when they do.

No one's worried about FSU being good because in the end, they will (and can) do what they have to do. Even if that means finding a new conference. I hope you recognize how much of a disaster it would be for us if that happened. THAT is precisely why it should concern you how well FSU looks IN THE ACC...
Very good point and you are exactly right. It benefits everybody when the ACC is as competitive as possible. Not to mention it will help every school when we negogiate our next TV Contract. We already have Basketball cornered. Football we were clearly the best league this year by every metric. And Baseball we probably share the distinction of best league with the SEC. Olympic Sports are really good too. Plus the ACC has the highest overall market in terms of number of households in its footprint. All that means the ACC should be able to command top dollar in the next TV Contract including the ACC Network. Plus, nobody is going anywhere at least until the year 2036. :)

Reactions: Mayoman and zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT