ADVERTISEMENT

ACC huddle and Mark Packer

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Watching the huddle and Packer again is the only media I've yet seen that talks about how Louisville's absence with voters is peculiar. Tonight he said that most voters thought since the schedule is tougher than last season, Louisville won't win 10 games.

First off, that is condescending and evidence of bias and Packer was hinting at this. Think about it, what other conference champion runner up is picked 5th the following year with an obvious superior team than the season before?

But I have come to believe that last seasons schedule is actually tougher than this season. I know its been a common belief this season is much tougher.

I wonder.

Okay, we play seven teams we played last season.

GT
BC
ND
Pitt
Va
Mia
UK

Louisville beat 5 of those teams.

This season some may be better (GT) and some may not. (UK) Regardless, I don't see how playing these same teams this season is tougher than last season. ND on the road but Miami at home.

This season we replaced NC State and Virginia Tech with SMU and Clemson.

To me, this is a push. I still believe after unimpressive first games, both VT and NC State are better than SMU. And if Clemson turns up like FSU and loses 4 or more games, this change in schedule makes last seasons tougher.

Other than the two non conference cupcakes, the only other new opponent is Stanford in place of Duke. One could say Duke would be the tougher opponent this season. Again, at least a push. (Tie)

I think most people believe the schedule is tougher because of Clemson and that's it. I originally thought that but I'm not so sure, but it is just week 2.

Sorry for the novel for those impatient types. I'm just excited about the potential of this Louisville team.

Reactions: cardrock and SoulSr
it's tougher because last miami sucked and was only .500 i think, pitt sucked and we lost and chance we could lose again. GT almost beat us last year and can easily do so this year. ND wasn;t that good last year and are top 5 this year. Uk is on their field and we haven;t proven we can beat them under any circumstance. there's 5 reasonable chances at losses. we only had a couple like that last year. and i didn;t throw in clemson.

I can understand some of the oversight because we're going to be a very difficult program to evaluate preseason given the reliance to this point on the Portal. Brohm has navigated it very well but he isn't bringing in 1st team All-Conference players from Power 5 (4) schools, so those incoming players are fairly anonymous. The highlighters that we had--Peny Boone and Tyler Barron in particular--left so maybe we got written off a little bit as a result. All they know about Shough is he's had three season ending injuries.

All of that goes by the boards by the end of September; we'll have had Ga Tech and Notre Dame so that anonymity is gone. We'll have more answers to what this football team looks like after that stretch.

Reactions: cardrock and cocoa
I can understand some of the oversight because we're going to be a very difficult program to evaluate preseason given the reliance to this point on the Portal. Brohm has navigated it very well but he isn't bringing in 1st team All-Conference players from Power 5 (4) schools, so those incoming players are fairly anonymous. The highlighters that we had--Peny Boone and Tyler Barron in particular--left so maybe we got written off a little bit as a result. All they know about Shough is he's had three season ending injuries.

All of that goes by the boards by the end of September; we'll have had Ga Tech and Notre Dame so that anonymity is gone. We'll have more answers to what this football team looks like after that stretch.
I would say, we will know what we have after the GT game Hack. We are at home and will be ranked. Team, and Fan Base should be charged up ready for a Solid opponent. If we go out and beat GT by two scores, we will have shown that early big wins over AP, and JAX, were not Flukes! The stage will then be set for a Huge Game at ND.

I am not impressed by ND's second year coach! Really feel we will be disrespected and be an 8-to-10-point dog at ND! UL will be ranked about 18 to 15! ND will be sporting that Top 5 Ranking, on name only! Cards clearly have the Coaching edge, and will Go up to ND, to take care of business! Beat ND at Home, and the Cards will be sitting in the Top 10. Right in the thick of making the Playoff!

I agree 100% that these first Four games set the stage for either a program changing season, or another building block toward UL's ultimate Goal! A collision Course with a NATTI! IMO this schedule sets up pretty nice for that Program changing Season!! Go Cards!!

Reactions: cardrock
ND is one of the most overrated teams in recent memory. I believe the only reason they were ranked so high is due to voters knowing the Irish cannot be a top 4 seed because they're not in a conference, so they need a boost.

Riley Leonard is one of the more overhyped QB's as well. I've never understood the hype for this guy. He's never put up big QB numbers and is not an NFL prospect.

I know ND recruits highly rated players but how many times has that ever lead to a sustained top 5 rating?

It is what it is with Notre Dame football. College football fans have been putting up with this for decades but Louisville fans are confident playing the Irish, having beating them multiple times.

I picked the Cards to lose in my game by game predictions, mostly because I was reluctant to predict an undefeated season. It wouldn't surprise me if ND wins the game, but it will shock me if they are anywhere near the playoff.

ND is one of the most overrated teams in recent memory. I believe the only reason they were ranked so high is due to voters knowing the Irish cannot be a top 4 seed because they're not in a conference, so they need a boost.

Riley Leonard is one of the more overhyped QB's as well. I've never understood the hype for this guy. He's never put up big QB numbers and is not an NFL prospect.

I know ND recruits highly rated players but how many times has that ever lead to a sustained top 5 rating?

It is what it is with Notre Dame football. College football fans have been putting up with this for decades but Louisville fans are confident playing the Irish, having beating them multiple times.

I picked the Cards to lose in my game by game predictions, mostly because I was reluctant to predict an undefeated season. It wouldn't surprise me if ND wins the game, but it will shock me if they are anywhere near the playoff.
I don't know that ND is the 7th best team in college football, but I was actually impressed with them Saturday night. The big crowd didn't seem to bother them much at all and they defensively were very impressive to me both at the point of attack, in coverage and in open field tackling which are the hallmarks of a Marcus Freeman defense regardless of where he has coached.

Their O line exceeded my expectations and they delivered in the clutch in the 4th quarter in all phases. To do that in a first game in a stadium with 105,000 I'm not labeling you as overrated regardless of what A&M is or is not. That 4th quarter took some cajones from the Irish.

Reactions: cocoa
I don't know that ND is the 7th best team in college football, but I was actually impressed with them Saturday night. The big crowd didn't seem to bother them much at all and they defensively were very impressive to me both at the point of attack, in coverage and in open field tackling which are the hallmarks of a Marcus Freeman defense regardless of where he has coached.

Their O line exceeded my expectations and they delivered in the clutch in the 4th quarter in all phases. To do that in a first game in a stadium with 105,000 I'm not labeling you as overrated regardless of what A&M is or is not. That 4th quarter took some cajones from the Irish.
Not going to be a Cake Walk at ND! But Cards have more than enough REAL JUICE with Jeff Brohm, to beat a Marcus Freeman coached ND Team at Home IMO!!

ND's big games the rest of the season are us, GT, and USC. FSU was on that list, but definitely not now. ND will not lose all 3 of those games. 10-2 puts ND in the playoffs especially because they are already at 5 in the current polls! Now "IF" UofL and GT beat them, the USC game is MASSIVE for ND.

100% agree! Only thing I will add (and ND's D gets some praise), but the T A&M QB looked REALLY bad. I had to go look up his stats, but I knew it wasnt good and it was even worse than I thought. 12-30 100 yds and 2 INT's. And the 2 INT's, should have been 4!

Watching the huddle and Packer again is the only media I've yet seen that talks about how Louisville's absence with voters is peculiar. Tonight he said that most voters thought since the schedule is tougher than last season, Louisville won't win 10 games.

First off, that is condescending and evidence of bias and Packer was hinting at this. Think about it, what other conference champion runner up is picked 5th the following year with an obvious superior team than the season before?

But I have come to believe that last seasons schedule is actually tougher than this season. I know its been a common belief this season is much tougher.

I wonder.

Okay, we play seven teams we played last season.

GT
BC
ND
Pitt
Va
Mia
UK

Louisville beat 5 of those teams.

This season some may be better (GT) and some may not. (UK) Regardless, I don't see how playing these same teams this season is tougher than last season. ND on the road but Miami at home.

This season we replaced NC State and Virginia Tech with SMU and Clemson.

To me, this is a push. I still believe after unimpressive first games, both VT and NC State are better than SMU. And if Clemson turns up like FSU and loses 4 or more games, this change in schedule makes last seasons tougher.

Other than the two non conference cupcakes, the only other new opponent is Stanford in place of Duke. One could say Duke would be the tougher opponent this season. Again, at least a push. (Tie)

I think most people believe the schedule is tougher because of Clemson and that's it. I originally thought that but I'm not so sure, but it is just week 2.

Sorry for the novel for those impatient types. I'm just excited about the potential of this Louisville team.
I think GT, BC, ND, and Miami are definitely better than last year. I think Pitt will be a bit better, though perhaps not enough to matter more than 1 additional win.

However, Brohm is a proven winner.

Determining which season is the tougher schedule really can't be discerned until at least half way through this season. However, average to below average teams being improved is not why people suspect this season being tougher.

It's the inclusion of Clemson and the road game at ND that has people thinking that. GT is better but how much better? Same thing with BC.

I think when it's all said and done, both seasons will be about the same. The new ACC teams like SMU and Stanford in my opinion are inferior to NC State and VT. I could end up being wrong but I doubt it.

Most importantly in my opinion is Louisville is much improved. I think voters just assumed Louisville would regress and used the schedule as its reasoning. Losing those two RB's was what was referred to the most, totally disregarding the upgrade at QB and the added talent and depth with the defense.

We will see.

Winning close games and ending the season on a 3 game skid last year plays into people’s perceptions. The portal definitely plays a role, too. It’s just one game, but this team looks pretty legit to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT