ADVERTISEMENT

ACC #2 in the RPI...

If Texas A & M beats Alabama this weekend the SEC will have 2 teams in the playoffs. The SEC is really bad top to bottom and I don't think Texas A&M or Alabama will lose to anyone else in the conference. I'm rooting for Alabama to beat A&M for that reason.

Washington has zero competition so they will get in and then they will get pasted just like Oregon did when they got in. Nobody from the Big 12 will get in because nobody is worthy of getting in and nobody cares about Big 12 teams anyway.

So that is one team each from the ACC, B1G, SEC and PAC 12. I believe we still have a chance of getting in through the ACC playoff game. ACC Comminsioner John Swofford said last year that the ACC will more than likely select the 2 teams that will play in the ACC Championship game and both teams could come from the same division. He said they want the 2 highest ranked teams in the playoffs so all we have to do is take care of business and we will get our opportunity.

LINK

Underscoring the strength of football in the conference now. Can the ACC get two teams in the playoff? Could the SEC? Same answer.

Unless you're an a$$hat...

Your first problem is, the CFP committee doesn't go by this. They don't have any sort of ranking for conferences. The CFP doesn't measure the strength of conferences.

What I said is correct. If Clemson loses the CCG, the ACC isn't getting a team in the CFP. North Carolina/Virginia Tech/Miami aren't getting in with 2+ losses. Clemson isn't getting in, even with one loss, as a non-champ, not with the ACC champ having multiple losses. And of course, even if the ACC champ and/or non-champ Clemson did get it, Louisville still wouldn't get in, because Clemson would have the head-to-head.

I also find it funny that you made a post about this after the original thread was locked. Your obsession with me continues.

If Texas A & M beats Alabama this weekend the SEC will have 2 teams in the playoffs. The SEC is really bad top to bottom and I don't think Texas A&M or Alabama will lose to anyone else in the conference. I'm rooting for Alabama to beat A&M for that reason.

Washington has zero competition so they will get in and then they will get pasted just like Oregon did when they got in. Nobody from the Big 12 will get in because nobody is worthy of getting in and nobody cares about Big 12 teams anyway.

So that is one team each from the ACC, B1G, SEC and PAC 12. I believe we still have a chance of getting in through the ACC playoff game. ACC Comminsioner John Swofford said last year that the ACC will more than likely select the 2 teams that will play in the ACC Championship game and both teams could come from the same division. He said they want the 2 highest ranked teams in the playoffs so all we have to do is take care of business and we will get our opportunity.

Two things:

1) "they will get pasted just like Oregon did when they got in."

Oregon actually won their semifinal game in 2014. They beat Florida St, to the tune of 59-20.

2) John Swofford never made such a statement at all. The ACC division winners are going to the CCG, period. What you are suggesting is not even legal under NCAA rules. I have no idea why, but you completely made up that statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: tkdcoach

Considering Washington's SOS is #160

opponent RPI

OregonSt 91
@Utah 20
@Cal 56
USC 34
ASU 39
@Wash St 27

Id say there is a good chance the Huskies lose 2 games and certainly lose 1 game.

John Swofford did make that statement and I do think the winner of the ACC Chapionship game does get in.

John Swofford did make that statement and I do think the winner of the ACC Chapionship game does get in.

No, you are 100% wrong. John Swofford did not say that the ACC was going to select the teams for the championship game. This is 100% false. The participants in the CCG will be the division winners, period.

I just googled it and I was wrong in one regards and that is they will not select 2 teams from the same division. If the division ends in a 3 way tie Swofford and a committee will select what team will play in the championship game. The selection will be based on
1.) head to head outcome
2.) point spread against same teams
3.) national ranking
Since Clemson struggled against NC St. Louisville could take a step in the right direction by beat State by a larger margin.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I just googled it and I was wrong in one regards and that is they will not select 2 teams from the same division. If the division ends in a 3 way tie Swofford and a committee will select what team will play in the championship game. The selection will be based on
1.) head to head outcome
2.) point spread against same teams
3.) national ranking
Since Clemson struggled against NC St. Louisville could take a step in the right direction by beat State by a larger margin.

You still have it wrong. The selection of a team for the CCG is only the 7th tiebreaker. The three points you posted are not part of that selection process. They are tiebreakers ahead of the selection process. Here is the list of tiebreakers, in order:

1. Combined head-to-head winning percentage among the tied teams.

2. Winning percentage of the tied teams within the division.

3. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best
overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference winning percentage, and
proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be
broken first to last, using the league’s tie-breaking procedures.

4. Combined winning percentage vs. all common non-divisional opponents.

5. Combined winning percentage vs. all non-divisional opponents.

6. Winning percentage vs. common non-divisional opponents based upon their
order of finish (overall conference winning percentage) and proceeding
through other common non-divisional opponents based upon their
divisional order of finish.

7. SportsSource Analytics rankings.

8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw as administered by the
Commissioner or Commissioner’s designee.

So to even get to the point that the team is selected, you have to go through the other six tiebreakers first.

Now aside from that, it won't help you anyway. This only applies to a 3-way tie. For that to happen, Clemson, Louisville, and a third team would all have to have 2 losses each.

Reactions: tkdcoach
You obviously read the same article I read by Andrew Broadwine on Sept. 20, 2016. If you read the whole article you would see that Louisville could be in a good position to play in the championship game.

If Clemson loses a game and Louisville wins by a better point spread against their opponents and they end up higher ranked Swofford could pick Louisville to play in the championship game. The game that could hurt or help Louisville depending on the outcome is the Houston game. Houston is the highest ranked non conference game that anybody in the conference plays.

You obviously read the same article I read by Andrew Broadwine on Sept. 20, 2016. If you read the whole article you would see that Louisville could be in a good position to play in the championship game.

If Clemson loses a game and Louisville wins by a better point spread against their opponents and they end up higher ranked Swofford could pick Louisville to play in the championship game. The game that could hurt or help Louisville depending on the outcome is the Houston game. Houston is the highest ranked non conference game that anybody in the conference plays.

No, that is simply incorrect. The only way Swofford could simply pick a team for the CCG is in the event of a three-way tie AND the other six tie-breakers are administered.

It's also not at simple as Clemson losing a game. Even if Clemson loses one game, that still only a two-way tie, which means this selection scenario doesn't kick in. For this to happen, Clemson would have to lose two games, Louisville would have to lose another game, and either NC State or Florida St would have to run the table. Even then, you would still have to go through the six other tiebreakers before Swofford could choose a team.

Last edited:
Here are the last two paragraphs of the article written by Broadwine that you got your information from.

So if we finish the year and Clemson was ranked No. 2, Louisville No. 4 & Florida St. No. 6, John Swofford would decide the Atlantic Champion.

In what world does this make sense ?

I have no clue, but hopefully the Tigers will put this all to bed and take care of business because Swofford cannot decide a champion if you finish with the best record.

Here are the last two paragraphs of the article written by Broadwine that you got your information from.

So if we finish the year and Clemson was ranked No. 2, Louisville No. 4 & Florida St. No. 6, John Swofford would decide the Atlantic Champion.

In what world does this make sense ?

I have no clue, but hopefully the Tigers will put this all to bed and take care of business because Swofford cannot decide a champion if you finish with the best record.

That's not where I got my information from. If you had clicked on the link I provided, then you would have seen the article I read.

Also, I did read that article that you are quoting. The final paragraph you quoted does not confirm what you are claiming.

Here is the entire article you are quoting:

John Swofford could determine a three-way tie in the event that the ACC Atlantic finished even with Louisville, Clemson, and Florida State.
ESPN’s Heather Dinich released a story today telling how the ACC will go about breaking a three-way tie should Clemson, Louisville, and Florida State finish with one loss at the end of the season.

Before today, the ACC had always maintained that, in the event of a three-way tie, the College Football Playoff rankings would determine the division winner.

The ACC is now saying that the conference cannot wait until Tuesday to determine a division champion that would play in the Championship game on a Saturday.
So, the conference will rely on ratings rather than rankings, kind of.

The ACC has partnered with SportSource Analytics, the same company that provides statistics to the College Football Playoff selection committee members, Dinich said in her article.
This particular ranking, though — a team rating score metric — is not given to the CFP committee members, and it’s not free to the public like the former BCS standings, which was also used to break three-way ties. The highest-ranked team in the team rating score metric would win the Atlantic Division, and SportSource Analytics would permit the ACC to release the ranking of the teams in the conference in the event it is required to break a tie.

However, the ratings will only be used if the three teams are not within five spots of each other in the rankings.

So, I know what you’re asking: So what if Clemson, Florida State, and Louisville are ranked within five spots of each other?

Well, then John Swofford and a committee of some sort gets to decide.

That’s right Clemson fans, if Louisville, Florida State, and the Tigers are all 11-1 the commissioner of the ACC determines the division champion.

So, instead of letting the College Football Playoff rankings be the determining factor, John Swofford will make the decision himself, but this isn’t true all the time.

If you are confused, here is the complete list of tiebreakers from ESPN’s David Hale.
(1) Combined head-to-head win percentage.
(2) Win percentage of the teams tied within the division.
(3) Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (division and non-divisional) conference win percentage.
Given the aforementioned scenario in which Florida State, Louisville and Clemson each finish 7-1 in ACC play, with each sharing a loss to another in that group, none of those three tiebreakers would give us an answer.
(4) Combined win percentage versus all common non-divisional opponents.
There aren’t any common opponents outside of the ACC, so again, this would be a moot point.
(5) Overall win percentage versus non-divisional opponents.
(6) Win percentage versus non-divisional opponents based upon order of finish.
This is where Louisville could be hurt, as the Cardinals will have the toughest non-conference game with a trip to Houston. But if all three have the same non-conference record, too, we keep moving on to …
(7) The team with the highest ranking by SportSource Analytics (the stats service used by the playoff committee), assuming the next team is not ranked within five places of the highest-ranked team.
In this case, all three would need to be ranked within five places of each other. If only two are, then we’d go to the two-team tiebreaker and whichever team had the head-to-head victory would advance.
Is your head hurting yet?
So, let’s say all three teams end up 11-1 with their only losses to each other, and all three are ranked within five spots of each other, then we get to the ultimate tiebreaker …
The head coaches will go head-to-head in a round-robin arm-wrestling challenge!
Actually, no, never mind. It says here they’ll be chosen by a draw administered by commissioner John Swofford. That’s not as fun.

So, if we finished the year and Clemson was ranked No. 2, Louisville No. 4, and Florida State No. 6, John Swofford would decide the Atlantic champion.
In what world does this make sense?
I have no clue, but hopefully the Tigers will just put this all to bed and take care of business because Swofford cannot decide a champion if you finish with the best record

Again, the only way this scenario happens is if you have a three-way tie AND all the other tie breakers have been exhausted. The problem is, you can't have three-way tie now, unless Louisville loses another game.

No, that is simply incorrect. The only way Swofford could simply pick a team for the CCG is in the event of a three-way tie AND the other six tie-breakers are administered.

It's also not at simple as Clemson losing a game. Even if Clemson loses one game, that still only a two-way tie, which means this selection scenario doesn't kick in. For this to happen, Clemson would have to lose two games, Louisville would have to lose another game, and either NC State or Florida St would have to run the table. Even then, you would still have to go through the six other tiebreakers before Swofford could choose a team.
topdecktiger is correct in this instance.

I wish something would happen to get us in but if it doesn't I'll be pulling for you all.

Your first problem is, the CFP committee doesn't go by this. They don't have any sort of ranking for conferences. The CFP doesn't measure the strength of conferences.

What I said is correct. If Clemson loses the CCG, the ACC isn't getting a team in the CFP. North Carolina/Virginia Tech/Miami aren't getting in with 2+ losses. Clemson isn't getting in, even with one loss, as a non-champ, not with the ACC champ having multiple losses. And of course, even if the ACC champ and/or non-champ Clemson did get it, Louisville still wouldn't get in, because Clemson would have the head-to-head.

I also find it funny that you made a post about this after the original thread was locked. Your obsession with me continues...
Most of the time, your comments are stupid enough for two threads...

The CFP doesn't have a process for picking its four best teams, only to break a tie for selecting teams. And one of those tie-breakers is SOS, which correlates with the strength of your conference since a majority of games are played in-conference.

The last two years, the conference with the 2nd highest RPI got its champion in the CFP. There's your two data points which you think are sufficient to draw conclusions.

The ACC will get its champion in the CFP unless it has two losses. In that case, a one-loss team will be selected from the ACC if one exists.

Better still, if that happens to differ from the opinion of an a$$hat...

Most of the time, your comments are stupid enough for two threads...

The CFP doesn't have a process for picking its four best teams, only to break a tie for selecting teams. And one of those tie-breakers is SOS, which correlates with the strength of your conference since a majority of games are played in-conference.

The last two years, the conference with the 2nd highest RPI got its champion in the CFP. There's your two data points which you think are sufficient to draw conclusions.

The ACC will get its champion in the CFP unless it has two losses. In that case, a one-loss team will be selected from the ACC if one exists.

Better still, if that happens to differ from the opinion of an a$$hat...

You made this comment in your final post of the locked thread:

It's a stepwise process

Now, you just said:

The CFP doesn't have a process for picking its four best teams

Here is your problem. It's a catch 22 situation. If you claim that the tie breakers only come after the 4 best teams are chosen (i.e. stepwise), then strength of schedule hasn't yet been taken into consideration. That means, your point about conference RPI is moot, because SOS won't be taken into consideration unless there is a tie breaker.

On the flip side, if SOS/RPI is taken into consideration from the outset (i.e. "The CFP doesn't have a process"), then conference championships have to be taken into consideration from the outset as well. SOS and conference championships are both listed in the same category, so they are both taken into consideration at the same point, whether that is at the outset, or only as a "tiebreaker"

Now, let me address your other point. You just said the ACC will get its champion into the playoffs unless it has two losses. Well, that was exactly my point when I said if Clemson loses the CCG, then the ACC won't get a team into the playoffs. All of the Coastal teams have 2+ losses. If Clemson loses the CCG, that means a Coastal team is ACC champion. That means, the ACC champion will have two losses. You just said yourself, the ACC champ isn't getting into the playoffs with two losses. So, if you want to talk about "stupid comments," maybe you should look in the mirror first.

You made this comment in your final post of the locked thread:

It's a stepwise process

Now, you just said:

The CFP doesn't have a process for picking its four best teams

Here is your problem. It's a catch 22 situation. If you claim that the tie breakers only come after the 4 best teams are chosen (i.e. stepwise), then strength of schedule hasn't yet been taken into consideration. That means, your point about conference RPI is moot, because SOS won't be taken into consideration unless there is a tie breaker...
And most of the time, you don't understand simply because you don't wanna understand...

The FIRST STEP is to decide the four best teams. Period. NO PRESCRIBED PROCESS FOR THAT STEP. They want the CFP committee to judge the four best teams by any means they want that makes sense to them. Eye test or anything relevant.

THEN, other steps apply that involve tie-breakers, if needed, incl. conference champs and SOS.

If the committee wants to consider the relative strengths of conferences to judge the four best teams, there's nothing wrong with that. It's an undefined process at that FIRST STEP. And no one can argue that "strength" in any respect is irrelevant; hell, it's baked into their tie-breakers.

Because a criterion isn't mentioned in the FIRST STEP, that doesn't mean it's irrelevant. That is YOUR reasoning, and as usual, it's counter-intuitive. These folks are free to decide which are the four best teams at STEP ONE just about anyway they want.

I'm trying to make this simple enough for an a$$hat to understand, but I don't have much experience...

...Now, let me address your other point. You just said the ACC will get its champion into the playoffs unless it has two losses. Well, that was exactly my point when I said if Clemson loses the CCG, then the ACC won't get a team into the playoffs. All of the Coastal teams have 2+ losses. If Clemson loses the CCG, that means a Coastal team is ACC champion. That means, the ACC champion will have two losses. You just said yourself, the ACC champ isn't getting into the playoffs with two losses. So, if you want to talk about "stupid comments," maybe you should look in the mirror first.
And if Louisville wins out, they will have one loss and will get the ACC's bid in a situation where all other ACC teams have two or more losses.

The ACC's RPI would probably be even higher with remaining wins over Houston (72% probability), Florida (72%), USCjr (96%), and LPT (97%). Only the Georgia Tech game at UGA is a likely loss (37%). Four of those games involve the #1 RPI conference.

A$$hat foiled again...

Last edited:
You guys act like this runs off of some sane, logical framework and set of instructions. Pffffttttttt.. It's all about the money. Money is why the old BCS put Notre Dame in a Sugar Bowl against LSU the year after Katrina.

It's about money, ratings, and the "eye test". They don't care what the RPI says about the ACC. They want teams that will be able to be called deserving, and will draw viewers.

They want Bama and Ohio State because a part of the country loves the "long tradition" they bring. Another part of the country wants to see the "long tradition" knocked off their horse. Either way the money comes in.

Undefeated Washington gets in regardless of their SOS. They look great beating lesser opponents, and the PAC 12 has already been left out. Have to let them back in or else the west coast starts complaining of an eastern bias. Can't be losing the west coast money.

In a way, we're lucky this year. We're one of the 1 loss teams people want to see get in because of Lamar. Lamar = ratings. If they start picking 1 loss teams, he's an advantage for us because he'll mean more viewers and more money.

Let the season play out a little further before making bold predictions. If Tx A&M were successful in beating the Tide (doubt seriously), who believes either one does not lose a 2nd game before the end of the season?

My feeling is that even though Ohio St and Michigan have to play each other, they want both of these teams in the playoffs, because well, it's Mich/Ohio st. Harbaugh vs Meyer.

You guys act like this runs off of some sane, logical framework and set of instructions. Pffffttttttt.. It's all about the money. Money is why the old BCS put Notre Dame in a Sugar Bowl against LSU the year after Katrina.

It's about money, ratings, and the "eye test". They don't care what the RPI says about the ACC. They want teams that will be able to be called deserving, and will draw viewers.

They want Bama and Ohio State because a part of the country loves the "long tradition" they bring. Another part of the country wants to see the "long tradition" knocked off their horse. Either way the money comes in.

Undefeated Washington gets in regardless of their SOS. They look great beating lesser opponents, and the PAC 12 has already been left out. Have to let them back in or else the west coast starts complaining of an eastern bias. Can't be losing the west coast money.

In a way, we're lucky this year. We're one of the 1 loss teams people want to see get in because of Lamar. Lamar = ratings. If they start picking 1 loss teams, he's an advantage for us because he'll mean more viewers and more money.

Totally agree, I believe Washington is out at 1 loss. Its unfortunate for them because most of CFB America don't see much west coast games. I mean they're on at around midnight on a Saturday night. Good luck with that. But the public has seen plenty of Lamar and they love it! As long as Louisville takes care of business it will most likely come down to us and a 1 loss OSU or Mich. Hmmm, do you take the old guard or the new age?

Still there's plenty of football to be played. We haven't had a chaos Saturday yet. Last week was oh so close. Bottom line is if you don't think this thing is about money and ratings you are fooling yourself.

It's the Mohammad Ali theory: "I don't care if people love me or hate me, as long as they pay to come see me."
That's what the playoff system is all about: money!

And most of the time, you don't understand simply because you don't wanna understand...

The FIRST STEP is to decide the four best teams. Period. NO PRESCRIBED PROCESS FOR THAT STEP. They want the CFP committee to judge the four best teams by any means they want that makes sense to them. Eye test or anything relevant.

THEN, other steps apply that involve tie-breakers, if needed, incl. conference champs and SOS.

If the committee wants to consider the relative strengths of conferences to judge the four best teams, there's nothing wrong with that. It's an undefined process at that FIRST STEP. And no one can argue that "strength" in any respect is irrelevant; hell, it's baked into their tie-breakers.

Because a criterion isn't mentioned in the FIRST STEP, that doesn't mean it's irrelevant. That is YOUR reasoning, and as usual, it's counter-intuitive. These folks are free to decide which are the four best teams at STEP ONE just about anyway they want.

I'm trying to make this simple enough for an a$$hat to understand, but I don't have much experience...

And again, you missed the point. This is your basic argument in this post:

The FIRST STEP for the committee is to determine the 4 best teams, pretty much however they want, and then add the "tie breakers" later down the road. Strength of schedule/RPI can be included either in the FIRST STEP or later on.

Ok, here is what you keep missing. If SOS/RPI can be included in the first step, then so can conference championships. That is the whole thing you are missing (or more accurately, just trying to avoid). You keep trying to change your position so that conference championships don't come into play, and that's simply not accurate or realistic. If you claim that conference championship is strictly a tie-breaker, then SOS is going to be strictly a tie-breaker as well. If you try to claim that the first step is amorphous, and any metric, like SOS can be used, then so can conference championships. Again, you are just trying to isolate conference championships so that it doesn't affect the selection process, and that's not accurate.

And if Louisville wins out, they will have one loss and will get the ACC's bid in a situation where all other ACC teams have two or more losses.

The ACC's RPI would probably be even higher with remaining wins over Houston (72% probability), Florida (72%), USCjr (96%), and LPT (97%). Only the Georgia Tech game at UGA is a likely loss (37%). Four of those games involve the #1 RPI conference.

A$$hat foiled again...

No they won't. You have several problems there. You have the ACC champion with 2 losses, not in the playoffs. Then, you have Clemson as the runner up, with 2 losses, not in the playoffs. Then you have Louisville, who in this scenario would be 3rd place in the ACC and having lost to Clemson head-to-head. In that situation, they aren't jumping a conference champ with the same record. You can't make a legitimate case that a team who is 3rd in their own conference is one of the 4 best in the nation.

Now, let's look at another scenario. Let's say Clemson loses the CCG, and finishes 12-1. What happens then? You just said the ACC champ doesn't get in with 2 losses. Well, does 12-1 Clemson get in as a non-champ? No, they don't. Well, if 12-1 Clemson doesn't get in, 11- Louisville doesn't get in either. You already agreed 2-loss ACC champ is out. In that case, the ACC doesn't get a team in at all.

I think an ACC team will get into the playoffs based on the success that FSU and Clemson has had the past 3 or 4 years. It is kind of like the SEC they will have a team on the playoffs because of their past success.

Reactions: zipp
Zipp, stop calling TopDeck an asshat, please. It doesn't strengthen your argument any stronger.

The both of you are basically arguing over what the opinion of another group of people will be. You're both speculating.

We just don't know.

Reactions: JSpears5
And again, you missed the point...
I haven't missed any points. In the first step, they can use any criteria they want to pick four teams--and I don't read anywhere that those criteria have to be disclosed. It's whatever factors that committee members synthesize in their minds.

In subsequent steps and if needed, they have to be more procedural and use specific tie-breakers. Those tie-breakers may or may not be included in the aforementioned and unspecified "psycho-synthesis". In fact, I'd be surprised if committee members did NOT already factor the tie-breakers in their thinking BEFORE they actually got to tie-breakers.

In your little mind, things are absolute, black-and-white, included or precluded. That's simply not consistent with "more art than science", their declared situation up front...

I think an ACC team will get into the playoffs based on the success that FSU and Clemson has had the past 3 or 4 years. It is kind of like the SEC they will have a team on the playoffs because of their past success.
Exactly right. The best or 2nd best conference in the country will not get ZERO teams in the playoff. Not because the committee must take a team from the ACC, but because it will.

A$$hats notwithstanding...

Zipp, stop calling TopDeck an asshat, please. It doesn't strengthen your argument any stronger.

The both of you are basically arguing over what the opinion of another group of people will be. You're both speculating.

We just don't know.
GC, you may be late to dinner. This isn't a difference of opinion. This is about an interloper of unknown origin--he won't acknowledge his "tiger" allegiance, probably because no fanbase will claim him--who comes to this space and different topics with the same agenda. To throw water on U of L fans, their ambitions, their desires, etc.

And with the same argumentative, you-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about style. He drones on, and he won't take a hint.

So, you keep brow-beating him and sending him "love". I'm not a big fan of bans as you may know. My preference is to self police. And this clown is progressively alienating himself with most of the regulars here. Given a little more time, I'm optimistic that he will be taken care of.

That's until the next a$$hat comes along...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
I saw that shortly after I responded to you. He is doing the same thing in multiple threads.

He's not a Clemson fan

In the first step, they can use any criteria they want to pick four teams

In fact, I'd be surprised if committee members did NOT already factor the tie-breakers in their thinking BEFORE they actually got to tie-breakers

These two comments illustrate my point. Under that reasoning, you can't throw out conference championships. If you say in the first step, the committee can us any criteria they want, then you can't throw out conference championships. If you say that that committee members are factoring in the tie breakers before they actually get to the tie breaking process, then you can't throw out conference championships.

That's the reason for this whole argument. You keep trying to find a way to convince yourself that conference championships don't play a factor in the selection process. They certainly do, and it's obvious to anyone who is being honest.

GC, you may be late to dinner. This isn't a difference of opinion. This is about an interloper of unknown origin--he won't acknowledge his "tiger" allegiance, probably because no fanbase will claim him--who comes to this space and different topics with the same agenda. To throw water on U of L fans, their ambitions, their desires, etc.

And with the same argumentative, you-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about style. He drones on, and he won't take a hint.

So, you keep brow-beating him and sending him "love". I'm not a big fan of bans as you may know. My preference is to self police. And this clown is progressively alienating himself with most of the regulars here. Given a little more time, I'm optimistic that he will be taken care of.

That's until the next a$$hat comes along...

I put the name of Clemson's mascot in my screenname. I don't know how much more blatant I can get than that. That said, being a Clemson has nothing to do with this. My entire argument with you is that conference championships DO play a part in the selection process. It's simply dishonest to argue otherwise.

I'm also not trying to "throw cold water" on Louisville fans. I said repeatedly in the other threads that Louisville certainly CAN make the playoffs. The only thing I have said contrary is that Louisville can't make it the way you are claiming. Louisville has two paths to the playoffs:

1) Clemson loses multiple games. In that case, Louisville simply wins the conference, makes the playoffs at the ACC champ, and bingo, problem solved.

2) Other conference champs lose multiple games. For example, if the Pac 12 & Big 12 champs went 11-2, Louisville could jump over them at 11-1.

The only thing I have said "negative" is that if 4 P5 champions have 0/1 loss, Louisville won't jump them. That's certainly not an unreasonable statement, and it's consistent with what we have seen so far from the committee.

I'm also not argumentative, or "you-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about." You are describing yourself, not me. When this discussion started in another thread, I didn't even direct any comments at you. I was talking with other posters, and nobody had a problem until YOU started arguing with me and stooping to personal insults. You were the one with the "you-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about" attitude, not me. You are the one that started arguing, not me. In fact, when the previous thread was locked, you couldn't just leave well enough alone. You had to start an entirely new thread, rehashing the same argument. I'm not the only one who notices that either, as one of the previous poster's comments illustrates.

These two comments illustrate my point. Under that reasoning, you can't throw out conference championships. If you say in the first step, the committee can us any criteria they want, then you can't throw out conference championships...
I never said championships don't matter. You said they're just about ALL that matters. The first (me) is true at the first step of selecting the four teams. The second (you) is ONLY true as one of multiple tie-breakers, none of which takes precedence.

And try now to deny your fixation on conference championships. I can't wait for it.

23 colleges have Tiger mascots. Glad to see you're finally owning up to one. From what I can tell, you must be the worst of the lot at Clemson. At least I can give you a more definitive label...Clemson a$$hat.

I'm also not trying to "throw cold water" on Louisville fans. I said repeatedly in the other threads that Louisville certainly CAN make the playoffs. The only thing I have said contrary is that Louisville can't make it the way you are claiming. Louisville has two paths to the playoffs:

1) Clemson loses multiple games. In that case, Louisville simply wins the conference, makes the playoffs at the ACC champ, and bingo, problem solved.

2) Other conference champs lose multiple games. For example, if the Pac 12 & Big 12 champs went 11-2, Louisville could jump over them at 11-1.

The only thing I have said "negative" is that if 4 P5 champions have 0/1 loss, Louisville won't jump them. That's certainly not an unreasonable statement, and it's consistent with what we have seen so far from the committee.

I'm also not argumentative, or "you-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about."

You are the one that started arguing, not me. In fact, when the previous thread was locked, you couldn't just leave well enough alone. You had to start an entirely new thread, rehashing the same argument. I'm not the only one who notices that either, as one of the previous poster's comments illustrates.

We understood your position the first time you posted it. You have taken the time to challenge everyone on this board over and over anytime a poster has a different opinion than you regarding the possibility of a one loss non-conference winner (whether it be Louisville, Michigan, etc.) jumping a one loss P5 champ such as Washington. These are all opinions, there is no factual info out there to support your position that you have to win your conference to be in the playoff. A case can be made either way, but at the end of the day, it's just people sharing opinions.

To say you are not argumentative, now you are being a hypocrite. You are trying to police OUR board by having a problem with a U of L poster starting a new thread on the same topic. If you are a Clemson fan, and you want to behave this way on your own board, have at it. You want to do it here, you're gonna get clown, hypocrite and a$$hat thrown your way. This isn't about us having a problem with you sharing an opinion, this is about you being argumentative and derailing any conversation on the topic that you don't agree with. You pick which way you want to go, and we will respond accordingly.

I never said championships don't matter. You said they're just about ALL that matters. The first (me) is true at the first step of selecting the four teams. The second (you) is ONLY true as one of multiple tie-breakers, none of which takes precedence.

And try now to deny your fixation on conference championships. I can't wait for it.

23 colleges have Tiger mascots. Glad to see you're finally owning up to one. From what I can tell, you must be the worst of the lot at Clemson. At least I can give you a more definitive label...Clemson a$$hat.

No, I haven't said conference champions are ALL that matters. I said conference championships play a factor, and they do. It's listed in the CFP mission statement, and Jeff Long has said it's a factor in several interviews. You keep jumping around. First you said, conference championships only matter as tiebreakers. Then, you said the committee doesn't have a set formula, meaning that anything (INCLUDING conference champs) can be considered from the outset. Either way, conference championships are going to come into play when selecting the 4 best teams. That's the truth.

There isn't any "owing up" to do. Again, the committee does what it does. What team I follow doesn't change what the committee has said and done.

We understood your position the first time you posted it. You have taken the time to challenge everyone on this board over and over anytime a poster has a different opinion than you regarding the possibility of a one loss non-conference winner (whether it be Louisville, Michigan, etc.) jumping a one loss P5 champ such as Washington. These are all opinions, there is no factual info out there to support your position that you have to win your conference to be in the playoff. A case can be made either way, but at the end of the day, it's just people sharing opinions.

To say you are not argumentative, now you are being a hypocrite. You are trying to police OUR board by having a problem with a U of L poster starting a new thread on the same topic. If you are a Clemson fan, and you want to behave this way on your own board, have at it. You want to do it here, you're gonna get clown, hypocrite and a$$hat thrown your way. This isn't about us having a problem with you sharing an opinion, this is about you being argumentative and derailing any conversation on the topic that you don't agree with. You pick which way you want to go, and we will respond accordingly.

Right, it is all opinions. The problem is, you are only criticizing me for having an opinion, not anyone else.

As far as being argumentative, no I haven't. Nobody was arguing with me until zipp got in on the conversation. Any time I post, he makes it a point to argue with me. Again, nobody else was arguing with me. HE is the one who dragged this conversation on longer that it would have otherwise gone.

Which leads to my next point. I'm not "policing" the board. Pay attention. Zipp did not start this new thread simply to start a new topic. He started this thread with the express purpose of criticizing me. He was arguing with me in the old thread that got locked. Since he couldn't respond in that thread, he started the new thread just to criticize me. He even took one of my quotes from the old thread, and reposted it here. Well again, I'm not trying to "police" the board. I'm pointing out that I'm not the person who resurrected a topic from a locked thread to rehash an old argument. Someone who restarts an argument from a locked thread is a person who's being argumentative, not me.

No, I haven't said conference champions are ALL that matters. I said conference championships play a factor, and they do. It's listed in the CFP mission statement, and Jeff Long has said it's a factor in several interviews. You keep jumping around. First you said, conference championships only matter as tiebreakers. Then, you said the committee doesn't have a set formula, meaning that anything (INCLUDING conference champs) can be considered from the outset. Either way, conference championships are going to come into play when selecting the 4 best teams. That's the truth.

There isn't any "owing up" to do. Again, the committee does what it does. What team I follow doesn't change what the committee has said and done.

Right, it is all opinions. The problem is, you are only criticizing me for having an opinion, not anyone else.

As far as being argumentative, no I haven't. Nobody was arguing with me until zipp got in on the conversation. Any time I post, he makes it a point to argue with me. Again, nobody else was arguing with me. HE is the one who dragged this conversation on longer that it would have otherwise gone.

Which leads to my next point. I'm not "policing" the board. Pay attention. Zipp did not start this new thread simply to start a new topic. He started this thread with the express purpose of criticizing me. He was arguing with me in the old thread that got locked. Since he couldn't respond in that thread, he started the new thread just to criticize me. He even took one of my quotes from the old thread, and reposted it here. Well again, I'm not trying to "police" the board. I'm pointing out that I'm not the person who resurrected a topic from a locked thread to rehash an old argument. Someone who restarts an argument from a locked thread is a person who's being argumentative, not me.
You can try to spin this however you like, but if you want to be a hypocritical a$$hat clown, so be it.

You should know by now you either see it Zipp's way or you are a azz hat or slapd$ck or anything else else he wants to call you. It's his MO.

Not being hypocritical at all, as evidenced by that fact that you can't refute what I said.
It's already been refuted. You said above that no one was arguing with you until zipp got involved. What about the Louisville significant win thread?

https://louisville.forums.rivals.com/threads/do-the-cards-have-a-significant-win.30508/

You responded to a question about whether or not the powers that be might want Lamar in the playoff with your usual dribble about having to win the conference. That wasn't part of the conversation until YOU BROUGHT IT UP. You are being questioned because you continue to argue that point over and over, even when it's not part of the conversation until you join in. Yet here you are in this thread, so butt hurt over the fact you are being attacked, that you can't see straight and are making stuff up about what you are and are not doing on this board. Not a hypocrite? Right

Last edited:

Just to be accurate, before Oregon was "pasted" two years ago, they first "pasted" Florida State.

This is about an interloper of unknown origin--he won't acknowledge his "tiger" allegiance, probably because no fanbase will claim him--who comes to this space and different topics with the same agenda. To throw water on U of L fans, their ambitions, their desires, etc.

That is kind of weird. Are fans of other schools supposed to support Louisville fans' "ambitions" and "desires"? In the present topic, is no one supposed to have another opinion? One that doubts Louisville will make the CFP? It does seem to me rather unlikely that a non-champion will get in and things could play out where one may. However, if that does occur, it is also likely that Louisville will still be left out if the Ohio State/Michigan loser finishes with one loss as does the Alabama/TAMU loser.

Winning your conference is the easiest path. Short of that, it is a very long shot. There is always next year for you guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT