ADVERTISEMENT

A Smith has hit the portal….

uncle_D

Two-Star Poster
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
I’m sure the young lady from Syracuse is the reason for this. I thought AS lost confidence late in the season.

uncle D, I believe you are right. Jeff now has the magic number of 15 on scholarship. All those speculating on new additions will have to wait until someone else leaves

I like adding players but I hate it when we lose a player I get familiar with them and they are like part of the family.

I fear Sam is setting himself up for failure by focusing on UL transfers; he needs to establish his own independence.

If he wins, the perception will be that it was with Jeff’s players; and if he loses, the perception will be that he could not win with Jeff’s players. Not a great way to start a HC career.

It's a shame to see her go. She could have competed for a lot of minutes in 2022-23.

Why would she look for opportunities elsewhere?

-- Maybe she felt she could be a contributor on the court but was not getting that same feedback from the coaches.
-- These players want to fulfill what they see their potential is.
-- Wherever she ends up, it'll be her fourth school in her time as a college student-athlete (UCLA, Gulf Coast St., UofL, ???). That's pretty high, obviously, but something the portal has brought...a bigger chance for student-athletes to test the waters.

As far as my thoughts go, I'll just thank her for her contributions as a Card and I suppose I'll best remember how she tied her career-high 13 points on 6-11 shooting with two rebounds, one block and two steals in the win vs. No. 14 Kentucky in the 2021-22 season.

The portal has been kind to UofL WBB (Engstler, Hall) and it's here to stay.

NIL and the portal have changed the collegiate game.

Accept it and take the good with the bad.

--sonja--

Reactions: mwatson61
I agree with you on Sam getting the Louisville players in the portal. MSU has a good women’s basketball program and they are expecting big things. Sam needs to get some top high school recruits instead of mainly portal players. I really think you should only be getting a couple of players a year from the portal and the bulk of your team should be high school players. Most of the players that are in the portal are because they want more playing time, only a few starters end up in the portal and that is when they have a coaching change.
There are rare instances where good players who start and they end up in the portal like at sUcK. Also like Oregon both of those schools lost about 3 or 4 starters each, obviously something else is going on there. I wish A Smith the best of luck and like you Sonja I thought she was going to get more playing time next season.

I think Sam should take a few UofL players to get the culture started. Those guys know the expectations and could really help out a first year coach.
I was wondering all along why A. Smith returned in the first place. Her minutes diminished down the stretch and I don’t see those minutes returning this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT