ADVERTISEMENT

5. Louisville Cardinals

Yes as fans we want to pick and choose which sports to be judged at. However to be fair if you look at the Capital One Cup which ranks all college athletics the men are ranked around 68th and the women around 70th. To be honest, don't know all the factors that go into it but it looks like we still have a ways to go at least on a national level. There's also another ranking by Niche.com and we are ranked in the 40's.

Yes as fans we want to pick and choose which sports to be judged at. However to be fair if you look at the Capital One Cup which ranks all college athletics the men are ranked around 68th and the women around 70th. To be honest, don't know all the factors that go into it but it looks like we still have a ways to go at least on a national level. There's also another ranking by Niche.com and we are ranked in the 40's.

We aren't being choosy when we are wanting the four most prevalent sports in the country to be counted while not acknowledging rifle hunting and row boating.

Reactions: zipp and Wordless65
Correct. And if you wanna completely avoid the "choosy" label, you can add soccer which along with the other four are certainly the top five collegiate sports. Oh yeah, we finished 24th in the country (RPI) last year in soccer after what was a sl. disappointing season...

Last edited:
Yeah right! Where is the new uahkay rifle stadium? :D:oops:

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

We aren't being choosy when we are wanting the four most prevalent sports in the country to be counted while not acknowledging rifle hunting and row boating.
Why not include swimming? Aren't you proud we are sending someone to the Olympics? My point is if you want to be known as a great athletic program you include them all not just the ones you think you excel at. That's what an elitist does.

Because swimming isn't near the top of the college athletics pyramid like those other 4-5 sports. The OP had that perspective; no one debates the top two...

No it's clear what the OP is doing and what you are a big proponent of. Adding football to the conversation and sometimes baseball because are trying to separate us from the kitties. I choose not to even consider them. Your line of thinking is truly little brother mentality...

I am pretty certain that UofL finished 29th overall in the latest Directors Cup.

Don't they use like 40 different sports to determine the rankings? That's why you see the Stanford's of the world always on top. They field teams in all the sports. At UK we know the only sports that matter are College basketball and Team Rifle or any other ones we happen to be good at.

Reactions: atiba
What I think you are referring to is the Learfield Sports Directors cup. As of June 16, 2016 Cards were ranked #33 with a 629 point total 192 for fall,261 for winter and 176 for spring. I could be wrong but baseball has not been included in those totals. Anyway #33 is good but i would like for us to improve.

Don't they use like 40 different sports to determine the rankings? That's why you see the Stanford's of the world always on top. They field teams in all the sports. At UK we know the only sports that matter are College basketball and Team Rifle or any other ones we happen to be good at.
Actually UK is not very good at all. They have won a grand total of 1 title in rifle while WVU has won 18 and Alaska- Fairbanks has won 10 out of the 37 total titles competed for in the sport. But keep on dreaming slappy. Lol. And btw only 33 schools even field the sport. That's including Divisions 1,2 and 3.

Last edited:
These rankings are not only quality driven (yes teams that finish high in them are good) but they are also quantity driven.

Stanford does very well every season in these rankings. It doesn't hurt that the folks in Palo Alto are competitive in many sports what really helps however, is they field 36 varsity level programs. That's almost twice as many as UofL that only fields 21. So total sports programs fielded makes for apples and oranges comparisons. That's why top sports comparisons like CBS has done here are insightful.

BTW in case anyone was wondering, the ACC teams that perform better than us all field more teams: UNC 27, Duke 26 (27 next season), UVa 25 and before anyone asks UK fields 19.
CJ

Reactions: cardsfan53 and zipp
Actually UK is not very good at all. They have won a grand total of 1 title in rifle while WVU has won 18 and Alaska- Fairbanks has won 10 out of the 37 total titles competed for in the sport. But keep on dreaming slappy. Lol. And btw only 33 schools even field the sport. That's including Divisions 1,2 and 3.
Because UL can't compete no need to put down the sport. Nothing like seeing your team compete for National titles and watching them get their names called during The National Rifle Draft. You should catch the TV broadcasts on the SEC Network. Must see TV.

Reactions: atiba
Can't vouch for these numbers, but here's a link to a site that recently compiled the college revenue and expense data by sport:

SPORT - REVENUE - EXPENSES (in millions)
Football - 3,111 - 1,912
Men's Basketball - 1,055 - 766
Women's Basketball - 341 - 461
Baseball - 236 - 280
Women's Soccer - 155 - 200
Softball - 154 - 203
Men's Soccer - 79 - 95

(The softball and women's soccer numbers are a little jumbled up in the link, but I think what I posted above is correct.)

The rest of the "non-revenue" sports fall below the above list. Soccer combined--men's and women's--would rank #5 and barely behind baseball...

Can't vouch for these numbers, but here's a link to a site that recently compiled the college revenue and expense data by sport:

SPORT - REVENUE - EXPENSES (in millions)
Football - 3,111 - 1,912
Men's Basketball - 1,055 - 766
Women's Basketball - 341 - 461
Baseball - 236 - 280
Women's Soccer - 155 - 200
Softball - 154 - 203
Men's Soccer - 79 - 95

(The softball and women's soccer numbers are a little jumbled up in the link, but I think what I posted above is correct.)

The rest of the "non-revenue" sports fall below the above list. Soccer combined--men's and women's--would rank #5 and barely behind baseball...
You have a one track mind. Money money and money. Yes I realize it's all about the money but you are losing sight that colleges are education learning institutions not companies or businesses. The intent is to educate our youth to be able to earn income to support themselves as adults not find ways to make a profit from them while they are earning an education. I guess you don't watch the Enterprise commercials. Most of the athletes who play college sports earn their living from college degrees. Why is it so important to you to separate revenue and non revenue sports when you are talking college athletics? I know you often speak for Jurich or like to think you do but are you say Tom doesn't care about non revenue sports?

The most popular sports attract the most money--football and basketball. Which is all of the data any rational thinker should want to understand that relationship (popularity and money).

The list also shows the money doesn't stop at those two sports. The next most popular sports fall next on the list. Comprenez??

If your daughter is on the rowing team, I understand your POV being a little different...

Last edited:
What you fail to understand is that I am a avid fan of U of L. I don't care what sport or activity they are participating, they're going to be No. 1 for me and I couldn't care less about any other school. So naturally I want them to be tops in everything for people like you, in my eye they are already there. But it also doesn't hurt to improve across the board. Pounding my chest about one or two sports just emphasizes your lack of security.

I'm surprised that this statement below in that article hasn't riled up the bluenecks and got them frothing all over the message boards in anger. How DARE someone call UofL a blue blood without their approval!

"Louisville basketball is a blue blood program."

Reactions: American Male
What you fail to understand is that I am a avid fan of U of L. I don't care what sport or activity they are participating, they're going to be No. 1 for me and I couldn't care less about any other school. So naturally I want them to be tops in everything for people like you, in my eye they are already there. But it also doesn't hurt to improve across the board. Pounding my chest about one or two sports just emphasizes your lack of security.
You're lost again. Your debate was how/why add one or two more sports--like baseball and women's basketball--to the top two. You were shown--proven--that adding those two in particular wasn't random or based on subjective criteria. It's based on their revenue and popularity. And swimming is well down that list.

That is, you were foot-stomped...again.

Foot stomp? Hardly. Now you want to talk about getting your azz handed to you, I am enjoying the conversation that you are losing over on the Bball board. I would join in but Hank and strongtino are doing well enough of their own.

Foot stomp? Hardly. Now you want to talk about getting your azz handed to you, I am enjoying the conversation that you are losing over on the Bball board. I would join in but Hank and strongtino are doing well enough of their own.
:D If you guys can find a stand-in for 'tino, I'll enjoying being the straight guy for the Three Stooges...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT