ADVERTISEMENT

49er's Radio Guy suspended over Lamar comments but I think it's wrong

alos, what i find ironic is i record every morning football show after a win to here what they say about lamar and i cannot tell you how many times i have been offended hearing a white analyst say how great decisions lamar is making, emphasizing that point, basically saying black qb's usually can;t do this. i find that 100x times more offensive but no one calls out those white guys for their veiled racism. they never say the white qb makes great decision but they do about black qb's. that's blatant racism that gets accepted everyday but i've not heard one black person complain about that.

Good question Glass

First of all racism is power.
When one race subjugates another race or ethnicity. Or decides in the interest of another race over another through economics.

It was a bigoted statement, even if joking. It was unnecessary. Ive never thought about camaflouge and the ball. Even though the game is about deception.

People of the same ethnicities will say bigoted things about other races, Blacks, jews, Whites, however thats more of a "family thing"

I have white Facebook friends who call each other the "C" word or even the "N" word. Thats between them. As long as theyre not insulting anyone else, not a biggie.

So if Vick had said that about Lamar, it would have got a pass.

Remember when Isaiah and Rodman said "if Larry Bird were Black he'd be just another ball player?
Very controversial. Isaiah paid a price for that dis.

Ryan may or not be racist, but to point out Lamar's skin colour as if he is an alien, is besmirching all the hard work he has put into being a top notch QB.

You represent an organization, be professional. Those comments will upset fans. Its why he is suspended.

Lamar may laugh it off, however many people wont.
The history of stigmatizating of people with different colour skin is far reaching.

kerry, i just want to say i appreciate you! your answers are why i started this post.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Dude the two situations aren't even remotely the same. Cosell said what he said and meant what he said and he paid the price. Ryan wasn't attempting to be racist with his observation. Not in my opinion. I feel that people with racial bias in their hearts are the people who see more than what's actually there. Yes, Ryan probably could have said what he said in a different way without mentioning the color of Lamar's skin and I'm sure he wishes he had now. Still, this has been taken to a way over the top level. Lamar has pretty good size hands too. Is it racist for me to say that? Gash I hope not. That's not MY intent. His skin tone and the size of his hands along with how he holds the ball when placing it in the gut of a RB makes it very difficult to tell where the football actually is in real time. When he pulls it out of the gut of the RB to take off with the ball, his incredible Barry Sanders like moves breaks ankles. It's awesome to watch and I freaking love it! This is my last response on this incident. Ryan has been suspended and as far as I'm concerned, it's now a nothing burger. I'll just enjoy watching the most dynamic and entertaining football player in the NFL. :D
Ok I lied about it being the last post. The scenario with Cosell is similar because Howard did believe he said it in reference to his grandkids playing the back yard. Here it is why it is also similar. They are both radio and TV broadcasters with an audience in the thousands or more. You have to realize you are going to offend a good number with a comment regarding skin color. As I said, why not say that Lamar Jackson is the best player I’ve seen in hiding the ball? The comment was definitely made as a knock against LJ. It was his inside voice that came out, not at the water cooler but in a public forum.

but how many have run the RPO in this league so the comment is based upon info that is new and not disproven yet?
vick and who else? no one else in the nfl has ever had to deal with the RPO this much if at all. and no other qb in nfl history has done the rpo except kap. vick never did it. this is entirely new. in fact, i think kap is the only guy to do it more than maybe once a game. sure dak does, and maybe russell, but more than once, never so no reason to think about. but lamar is doing is every series. basically, he;s the first to hide the ball like that up against himself making it more difficult to see.

Trubisky of the Bears was running the RPO last night. He rushed 10 times for 63 yards and a TD.

Ryan’s comment was also pretty dumb from a football strategy standpoint. At this point, it’s not even about deception. If you’re not going to have one player assigned to tackle Jackson and another to tackle Ingram, then one or the other is going to run wild.

Against other players, you could possibly get away with focusing on the running back and reacting when you see the QB keep the ball. In that case, deception WOULD be an advantage. But at this point in Jackson’s second season, only a very bad defensive coordinator would have his defense play that way. You must stop both, as each is equally likely to be running the football and each is capable of torching your defense.

Reactions: SoulSr
I feel sorry for you saying that you hate White People. I am Black American and I don't follow the narrative that all White people are evil or that all my problems are caused by them. Second if the guy would have Sayed the black uniforms I might not be so salty but the ball is in Lamar's hand. How much of his Black skin is hiding the ball if it is in his hand?
i'm just being a little over the top, but living in this country, white people are the backbone of most of the hate, bigotry, racial violence, oppression, suffrage, discrimination, alienation, intolerance, beatings, anti-gay, anti-lesbian anti-mixed marriage, pro war, pro death penalty, pro-let;s not help out anyone who isn't white, pro guns to kill innocents, pro less taxes for the rich while the poor are hungry. but heck, maybe i am biased and have looked at our current president and the all white male staff he works with and maybe i can form an opinion that i hate white people, not white card fans of course, but there are a lot to be despised.. i have more respect for anyone not white anywhere before i usually do a white person. white, liberal thinking males are not necessarily the most abundantly populated in this country, . i'm one. and don;t get me started on anyone's religion, what a farce

I'm white, and I've made the same mistake Ryan made...just lazy comments with unintended racist overtones. It doesn't make me racist (or maybe it does and I just need to realize that being racist may not be evil...just human nature that I need to be cognizant of), but it's important to get feedback regarding what other people hear when we talk, understand other perspectives, apologize for mistakes, learn, grow, and move on.

I've appreciated all the comments here, I think it's just important to have the conversation...one of the great things about sport, we're all one RED family here.

i'm just being a little over the top, but living in this country, white people are the backbone of most of the hate, bigotry, racial violence, oppression, suffrage, discrimination, alienation, intolerance, beatings, anti-gay, anti-lesbian anti-mixed marriage, pro war, pro death penalty, pro-let;s not help out anyone who isn't white, pro guns to kill innocents, pro less taxes for the rich while the poor are hungry. but heck, maybe i am biased and have looked at our current president and the all white male staff he works with and maybe i can form an opinion that i hate white people, not white card fans of course, but there are a lot to be despised.. i have more respect for anyone not white anywhere before i usually do a white person. white, liberal thinking males are not necessarily the most abundantly populated in this country, . i'm one. and don;t get me started on anyone's religion, what a farce

glass, in this post you just turned around and slammed on folks and did the same thing that this sportscaster did. You showed your biases. Think about it.

I'm white, and I've made the same mistake Ryan made...just lazy comments with unintended racist overtones. It doesn't make me racist (or maybe it does and I just need to realize that being racist may not be evil...just human nature that I need to be cognizant of), but it's important to get feedback regarding what other people hear when we talk, understand other perspectives, apologize for mistakes, learn, grow, and move on.

I've appreciated all the comments here, I think it's just important to have the conversation...one of the great things about sport, we're all one RED family here.

I appreciate your honesty.

Ive made the comments that Whites as daredevils are crazy ( jumping off mountains, free falling from space, etc.)

If i was employed as a on air personality, i cannot make such remarks. I would deserve to be suspended or fired.

Time and situation is everything.
People are vouching for Tim Ryan, so hope he gets his job back.

Just leave out a players ethnicity where its not prudent.

I think it was a thoughtless statement that he probably wishes he hadn't made. It seems to take away slightly from the hard work and skill that LJ and the RBs have put in and worked for.

I have seen guys like manning, Rodgers, Brady, ryan, brees, etc... described as being great at the play fake , fooling the d, hiding the ball, etc... (google best play fake QBs, their names will come up). They are white and wear all shades of uniforms. But they are considered great at the mess point due to skill.

I think this comment only got made because LJ is "very dark". Guess it doesn't work for lighter skinned AA like say mahomes or Wilson.

It doesn't overly bother me, but let's just give credit to someones hard work and skill without trying to diminish it in any way.

As for the baseball reference, the stats you bring up are out of context. Last year there were 7 black starters in all mlb. That gives them about a3% chance of winning a cy young. AA just aren't playing baseball. The fact that an AA ever wins a cy young with those type odds means white ball/ black skin means nothing.

But this has been a cool thread to read.

alos, what i find ironic is i record every morning football show after a win to here what they say about lamar and i cannot tell you how many times i have been offended hearing a white analyst say how great decisions lamar is making, emphasizing that point, basically saying black qb's usually can;t do this. i find that 100x times more offensive but no one calls out those white guys for their veiled racism. they never say the white qb makes great decision but they do about black qb's. that's blatant racism that gets accepted everyday but i've not heard one black person complain about that.
They point out when white QBs are making great decisions. Why is a compliment an insult? Why is every damn thing anybody says offensive? This is beyond absurd.

ADVERTISEMENT