ADVERTISEMENT

49er's Radio Guy suspended over Lamar comments but I think it's wrong

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
i am curious to get peoples reactions over this story. i consider myself very open minded and very liberal on social issues but i think him being suspended is just a bit too much. if you are black, or non-white, are you offended by his comments? i appreciate all feedback and if i am looking at this wrong, please feel free to correct me. i am a human who can learn and adapt.

he said- "He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

not to state the obvious, but lamar is a black man. he has dark skin. if you asked a first grader to describe lamar they'd reply he's black, brown, or dark skinned. and the ravens jerseys are dark. it seems we are too hung up on race that we cannot state the obvious anymore. was there something really offensive said? he said lamar's skin is dark. he didn't comment on anything that color affected his ability, he commented on the basic skin tone compared to the color of the football and uniforms. i found it 1000x more offensive when a white guy says he should play back or receiver, that to me is racially offensive.

dude's point is 100% valid and i wish lamar would say, uh, people my skin is dark. but i am a white person saying this. from any black person, or non-white person, am i out of line to think this is overblown?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...radio-analyst-tim-ryan-lamar-jackson-comments

Totally inappropriate. His skin has nothing to do with it. He’s a football player wearing a uniform. Need to purge this type of sports commentary.
but his skin color is absolutely 100% a contributing reason he is good at the rpo. if he was a white player wearing a white uniform the defense could see the ball better. wettle of the rams even said they couldn't ever see where the ball was. that's my issue here, his skin color and the color of the ball and the color of the uniforms helps. when we talk about boise state, the color of their field and the color of their uniforms helps them but that isn't racist. but lamar's skin color directly helps his ability to hide the ball, maybe only helps 1%, maybe 5%, but that slight difference or advantage in a micro split second world of nfl football can make the difference between a tackle for loss and a 20 yard gain. he is so elusive that split seconds and micro fractions of seconds can mean the difference of success or not. . his skin color doesn't make him any faster smarter or better, but it does help hide the ball. that's not racist imho. but if you feel it is and you feel it's not right, then i'll refrain from bringing it up again and tyr to learn from this. but to me i hate white people more than any other group of people but it's one time i think the situation is overblown.

Last edited:
It was idiotic to even bring up.

He deserves a suspension. Maybe even to lose his job.

Do whites have an advantage in beisbol while wearing white uniforms ?

See how ludicrous that sounds.

Stick to non ethnicity in your comments and there wont ever be a problem.

Reactions: gocds
Do whites have an advantage in beisbol while wearing white uniforms ?

Stick to non ethnicity in your comments and there wont ever be a problem.

i was actually going to bring up the point that i thought white baseball players have an advantage in that players are always talking about picking up the ball from a pitchers hand.

secondly, i can talk about whatever ethnicity i want, we all came from africa and we are all black technically, it's simple sunshine that darkens our skin. 150,000 years ago kids got sick of their in laws and moved north out of africa. as they did there was less sunshine and their skins gradually whitened so they could absorb more sun. people who stayed home needed darker skin to block the sun. so i am just as black as you in my heritage and came from the exact same place as your ancestors did.

i came here asking for opinions and comments and was admitting my opinion could be wrong and was willing to learn from that. instead sounds like you just want me to shut up and not learn. that makes you the problem here not me.

but truth is, while you can say dude maybe should not have said it, there is truth in what he said, that skin color if it matches the ball color and jersey color tone can help hide where the ball is. and when you deal in hundredths of a second in reaction times every second counts

Reactions: SpotHogCard
i was actually going to bring up the point that i thought white baseball players have an advantage in that players are always talking about picking up the ball from a pitchers hand.

secondly, i can talk about whatever ethnicity i want, we all came from africa and we are all black technically, it's simple sunshine that darkens our skin. 150,000 years ago kids got sick of their in laws and moved north out of africa. as they did there was less sunshine and their skins gradually whitened so they could absorb more sun. people who stayed home needed darker skin to block the sun. so i am just as black as you in my heritage and came from the exact same place as your ancestors did.

i came here asking for opinions and comments and was admitting my opinion could be wrong and was willing to learn from that. instead sounds like you just want me to shut up and not learn. that makes you the problem here not me.

but truth is, while you can say dude maybe should not have said it, there is truth in what he said, that skin color if it matches the ball color and jersey color tone can help hide where the ball is. and when you deal in hundredths of a second in reaction times every second counts

Calm yourself.
I was talking about Tim Ryan.

Tim Ryan needs to do his job without talking about people's skin colour.

Lamar is not the first black player to play football. End of story. Dude should be reprimanded at a minimum.

Reactions: SiouxfallsEric13
Calm yourself.
I was talking about Tim Ryan.

Tim Ryan needs to do his job without talking about people's skin colour.
my bad!!! sorry dude. but here's a curoius stat i just found about cy young award winners. since 2007, 13 years and 26 winners, the only three non white winners were cc sabathia, felix hernandez and david price, all before 2012. so you'd have to look in ratios of pitchers ethnicities, but if we were starting a conversation i'd say that white pitchers, holding a off white baseball that has been rubbed with mud and thus more closely matches their tanned summer skin, have a definite advantage in pitching over anyone with much darker tones. here are the winners
2007 AL
C.C. Sabathia (1 | ASG
2007 NL Jake Peavy (1 | ASG) San Diego (4) R 19-6 2.54 223.1 240 0
2008 AL
Cliff Lee (1 | ASG)
2008 NL Tim Lincecum (1 | ASG) San Francisco (2) R 18-5 2.62 227.0 265 0
2009 AL
Zack Greinke (1 | ASG)
2009 NL Tim Lincecum (2 | ASG) San Francisco (3) R 15-7 2.48 225.1 261 0
2010 AL Felix Hernandez (1) Seattle (2) R 13-12 2.27 249.2 232 0
2010 NL Roy Halladay (2 | ASG) Philadelphia (7) R 21-10 2.44 250.2 219 0
2011 AL Justin Verlander (1 | MVP | ASG) Detroit (4) R 24-5 2.40 251.0 250 0
2011 NL Clayton Kershaw (1 | ASG) Los Angeles (10) L 21-5 2.28 233.1 248 0
2012 AL David Price (1 | ASG) Tampa Bay (1) L 20-5 2.56 211.0 205 0
2012 NL R.A. Dickey (1 | ASG) New York (5) R 20-6 2.74 233.2 230 0
2013 AL Max Scherzer (1 | ASG) Detroit (5) R 21-3 2.90 214.1 240 0
2013 NL Clayton Kershaw (2 | ASG) Los Angeles (11) L 16-9 1.83 236.0 232 0
2014 AL Corey Kluber (1) Cleveland (4) R 18-9 2.45 235.2 269 0
2014 NL Clayton Kershaw (3 | ASG) Los Angeles (12) L 21-3 1.77 198.1 239 0
2015 AL Dallas Keuchel (1 | ASG) Houston (3) L 20-8 2.48 232.0 216 0
2015 NL Jake Arrieta (1) Chicago (5) R 22-6 1.77 229.0 236 0
2016 AL Rick Porcello (1) Boston (7) R 22-4 3.15 223.0 189 0
2016 NL Max Scherzer (2 | ASG) Washington (2) R 20-7 2.96 228.1 284 0
2017 AL Corey Kluber (2 | ASG) Cleveland (5) R 18-4 2.25 203.2 265 0
2017 NL Max Scherzer (3 | ASG) Washington (3) R 16-6 2.51 200.2 268 0
2018 AL Blake Snell (1 | ASG) Tampa Bay (2) L 21-5 1.89 180.2 221 0
2018 NL Jacob deGrom (1 | ASG) New York (6) R 10-9 1.70 217.0 269 0
2019 AL Justin Verlander (2 | ASG) Houston (4) R 21-6 2.58 223.0 300 0
2019 NL Jacob deGrom (2 | ASG)

Skin color should never be brought up. It should be a non-issue. Furthermore, LJ wears white wrist bands, and has a huge white "8" on his jersey. The colors black and purple on the Ravens jersey's look nothing like a brown football, or darker skin. It was a poor excuse. I don't think you are in the business of professional football and are a devout racist. I just think he screwed up. Dude should have known better.

Lastly, my son is 15 now. He sees different cultures and races. But, it's only been recent. If I'd have asked him what Lamar looks like when he was a third grader, he likely would have said "fast."
lamarjackson_niners-e1575287646654.jpg

Reactions: SiouxfallsEric13
Glassman, You said you don't think what was said was offensive at all. That's your opinion on the matter and you are entitled to have it. But just because you don't find the comment offensive doesn't mean others can't or won't find it offensive.

Maybe you don't understand why that is, but you don't have the same life experiences others may have, or the same point of view they are looking at it with.

Kerry, an honest question and to satisfy a mind that thinks of all possibilities....

what if black commentator, or let's say even michael vick because he's lamar's constant comparison, what if michael vick, and not a white guy, had said the exact same comment, would it be racist, or is it just because a white guy said it makes it racist? would we agree with vick comments or disagree with him? would we call him correct or just stupid but we wouldn't call him a racist would we?

that's my defining line on race, outside of the "word", i've felt if a person of the same race would say the same thing is it racism or just a thinking mind trapped in a body that did ntoochoose it's color of skin, place of birth, or mother? i look for the reason behind the words and i think dude was right but i agree, it would have best been said "Lamar is just utterly fantastic at using his god given gifts and abilities to hide the football and keep defenses on it's heels. we never knew where the ball was"

but as i said before, i brought this topic up to learn and i have. i've traveled the world and one thing i have seen for sure is in every single country i;ve visited, one group hates another and usually identifies their skin color to justify the hate. that's why i love the genome project, eventually everyone will realize we are all black and come from the same places. everyone just wants to be loved, not fear for the basic needs, and to feel like our time here means something. and to also say, screw uk, go cards. just kidding cat fans, i know too many of you but it's funny to say. peace and love

Glassman, You said you don't think what was said was offensive at all. That's your opinion on the matter and you are entitled to have it. But just because you don't find the comment offensive doesn't mean others can't or won't find it offensive.

Maybe you don't understand why that is, but you don't have the same life experiences others may have, or the same point of view they are looking at it with.
it's exactly why i posted to learn why i didn't think it was wrong. btu i am also asking why exactly is it offensive, is it simply because it's perceived that dude is marginalizing lamar''s talents? if so, then i get it but i did not see it that way at first. as i replied to kerry above, what if michael vick had said the exact same thing instead? racist, stupid, or correct?

and please feel free to rip me, but in doing so, i bet there are quite of few people who would read the article and not think it was racist and maybe this post educates us all. most importantly, let's talk about it instead of hiding it.

on a side note, i am 50 and i grew up a racist without knowing it. the n word was in songs we sang, comments we made, and part of our daily lexicon. i grew up in louisville in j-town then moved from place to place with a single mom. i never had any concept of feelings for other people, or walking in their shoes as they say. when i was 21 visiting my girlfriend at syracuse, mtv was on and i made a comment about the music using the word and almost got the beaten up but luckily her liberal friends just shamed me. that was the very first time anyone had ever said anything to me about being a racist. my brother certainly was and stayed that way until he died. luckily, i woke to a deeper sense of meaning. and while it took years for me to understand, i did lsd for about six months and in that time back in the spring of '93, i woke. i don;t know how else to put it but i woke. karma kicked in. self awareness kicked in. my place kicked in. and the shame of my past life kicked in. and that's a tough one to swallow at the same time you feel enlightened. and no matter how much i learn, i still live and will always live with the things i did and said, not knowing the harm they were inflicting.

if you talked to my friends they'd tell you i wished i grew up black. because while i am white, i grew up the fattest kid in my class and was taunted, teased and made fun of by friends, classmates, and perfect strangers all because of my skin, not color, but how big it was. i was beat down every day of my life without saying a word. just based on how fat i was. it's no reason i work for myself and people are mean if you don't fit their mold. and thus i was mean back to people i should not have been and i wish i i could apologize to them all. i figure if there is a heaven, i;ve got a lot of answering to do but hopefully i get some credit for understanding who i am and trying to make changes daily.

i cannot know whas it's like to be black or any other color, but i do know what it like to be laughed at, made fun,of, ridiculed, and berated only because of how you look. and i would feel guilty if i ever made anyone else for any reason feel the same. but i am trying to keep learning all the time and i truly believe having this conversation helps.

Reactions: leon_lou
but his skin color is absolutely 100% a contributing reason he is good at the rpo. if he was a white player wearing a white uniform the defense could see the ball better. wettle of the rams even said they couldn't ever see where the ball was. that's my issue here, his skin color and the color of the ball and the color of the uniforms helps. when we talk about boise state, the color of their field and the color of their uniforms helps them but that isn't racist. but lamar's skin color directly helps his ability to hide the ball, maybe only helps 1%, maybe 5%, but that slight difference or advantage in a micro split second world of nfl football can make the difference between a tackle for loss and a 20 yard gain. he is so elusive that split seconds and micro fractions of seconds can mean the difference of success or not. . his skin color doesn't make him any faster smarter or better, but it does help hide the ball. that's not racist imho. but if you feel it is and you feel it's not right, then i'll refrain from bringing it up again and tyr to learn from this. but to me i hate white people more than any other group of people but it's one time i think the situation is overblown.
Seems to me the running back is just as much a part of the deception. His arms are around it too. What about when the Ravens play on the road in white jerseys? Is the RPO less effective? Dumb comment, but the suspension is just as dumb. We are way hypersensitive in this culture, and unfortunately it prevents a lot of honest conversations we need to be having.

Lamar is not the first black player to play football..
but how many have run the RPO in this league so the comment is based upon info that is new and not disproven yet?
vick and who else? no one else in the nfl has ever had to deal with the RPO this much if at all. and no other qb in nfl history has done the rpo except kap. vick never did it. this is entirely new. in fact, i think kap is the only guy to do it more than maybe once a game. sure dak does, and maybe russell, but more than once, never so no reason to think about. but lamar is doing is every series. basically, he;s the first to hide the ball like that up against himself making it more difficult to see.

Seems to me the running back is just as much a part of the deception. His arms are around it too. What about when the Ravens play on the road in white jerseys? Is the RPO less effective? Dumb comment, but the suspension is just as dumb. We are way hypersensitive in this culture, and unfortunately it prevents a lot of honest conversations we need to be having.
i looked into jersey colors, they lost to KC in white but won versus seattle.

and please feel free to rip me, but in doing so, i bet there are quite of few people who would read the article and not think it was racist and maybe this post educates us all. most importantly, let's talk about it instead of hiding it.

on a side note, i am 50 and i grew up a racist without knowing it. the n word was in songs we sang, comments we made, and part of our daily lexicon. i grew up in louisville in j-town then moved from place to place with a single mom. i never had any concept of feelings for other people, or walking in their shoes as they say. when i was 21 visiting my girlfriend at syracuse, mtv was on and i made a comment about the music using the word and almost got the beaten up but luckily her liberal friends just shamed me. that was the very first time anyone had ever said anything to me about being a racist. my brother certainly was and stayed that way until he died. luckily, i woke to a deeper sense of meaning. and while it took years for me to understand, i did lsd for about six months and in that time back in the spring of '93, i woke. i don;t know how else to put it but i woke. karma kicked in. self awareness kicked in. my place kicked in. and the shame of my past life kicked in. and that's a tough one to swallow at the same time you feel enlightened. and no matter how much i learn, i still live and will always live with the things i did and said, not knowing the harm they were inflicting.

if you talked to my friends they'd tell you i wished i grew up black. because while i am white, i grew up the fattest kid in my class and was taunted, teased and made fun of by friends, classmates, and perfect strangers all because of my skin, not color, but how big it was. i was beat down every day of my life without saying a word. just based on how fat i was. it's no reason i work for myself and people are mean if you don't fit their mold. and thus i was mean back to people i should not have been and i wish i i could apologize to them all. i figure if there is a heaven, i;ve got a lot of answering to do but hopefully i get some credit for understanding who i am and trying to make changes daily.

i cannot know whas it's like to be black or any other color, but i do know what it like to be laughed at, made fun,of, ridiculed, and berated only because of how you look. and i would feel guilty if i ever made anyone else for any reason feel the same. but i am trying to keep learning all the time and i truly believe having this conversation helps.
I learned the hard way that sometimes the best thing to do is laugh along. It takes the edge off and some of the people who mocked and attacked me became friends. Childhood teasing rarely comes from hate. It’s usually an attempt at humor. Thanks for your story.

I didn’t listen, but it depends on the context. Was he hinting that he was only good at RPO because his skin is dark? Because if his intent was to diminish his skill by saying being black gave him an advantage, yeah fire his butt.

Now if he was saying that it’s difficult for a tackler to identify where the ball is because of his skin, ok maybe you have a case if he’s talking about it from just an in game scenario.

But I’m thinking it was more the first thing, it was trying to diminish his ability at QB.

Reactions: nccardfan
Maybe we should all be purple with pink polka dots. What would be said then? Perhaps that the polka dots were larger or smaller? The comment was ridiculous from the get go and a reprimand of some sort is/was in order.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I didn’t listen, but it depends on the context. Was he hinting that he was only good at RPO because his skin is dark? Because if his intent was to diminish his skill by saying being black gave him an advantage, yeah fire his butt.

Now if he was saying that it’s difficult for a tackler to identify where the ball is because of his skin, ok maybe you have a case if he’s talking about it from just an in game scenario.

But I’m thinking it was more the first thing, it was trying to diminish his ability at QB.
i had read it as the latter as he was just stating a fact and thus my post.

an honest question for everyone to reply, had Ray Lewis, a hall of fame defender, made the comments would there be an issue because he was in his so called lane? basically, do the comments hold some validity and we are mad at who the messenger was?

what if Ray Lewis said this- "One of the many reasons the Ravens have been so successful in the RPO is the ability of Lamar to hide the ball. When you combine their dark jerseys, the color of the football and Lamar's skin tone, they have destroyed the Dolphins, Patirots, Rams and Texans by astronomical numbers we've never seen before and games were closer in their lighter jerseys."

numbers don't lie.
miami purple 59-10
arizona white 23-17
kc white 28-33
cleveland purple 25-40 turnovers killed 3 drives
pittsburh white 23-20
cincy purpkle 23-17
seattle white 30-16
NE black 37-20
cincy white 49-13
houston purple 41-7
rams purple 45-6
niners black 20-17 in the pouring rain

Last edited:
i had read it as the latter as he was just stating a fact and thus my post.
Glass man, welcome to 2020. You’re not “socially liberal” enough for some it seems ;)

The guy who made the comment is an idiot. LJ gets more out of it because he runs the option better than ANYBODY ever has, and nobody in the NFL has ever seen anything like it. (Except the few who played against LJ in college).

It has nothing to do with color.

As far as pitchers go, maybe it’s simply a numbers problem, but in order to stay on topic, maybe it’s a “voter” problem

Bob Gibson
Vida Blue
Ferguson Jenkins
Juan Marichal
Dwight Golden
Dave Stewart

and many others never had a problem with a white ball.

Reactions: gocds and FlavRunit
I'd argue that if an advantage were there, you'd see a lot of compression arm sleeves the color of a football or black...it would only take one defender going to the coach and complaining of poor football contrast as the reason he didn't make a play and then their QB would have that sleeve on post haste. I've never heard D player make this comment...some QB's are really good at concealing the ball, it's a skill...with the RPO now popularized by modern play calling, the hand off is a skill that needs to be analyzed and practiced. Lamar has been doing that hand off/keep for years now, grew up doing it and has a huge advantage in the RPO because of that specific skill (along with many other skills that we already are aware of).

The commentator was intellectually lazy with his statement, racially insensitive bordering racist...in my opinion.

i am curious to get peoples reactions over this story. i consider myself very open minded and very liberal on social issues but i think him being suspended is just a bit too much. if you are black, or non-white, are you offended by his comments? i appreciate all feedback and if i am looking at this wrong, please feel free to correct me. i am a human who can learn and adapt.

he said- "He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

not to state the obvious, but lamar is a black man. he has dark skin. if you asked a first grader to describe lamar they'd reply he's black, brown, or dark skinned. and the ravens jerseys are dark. it seems we are too hung up on race that we cannot state the obvious anymore. was there something really offensive said? he said lamar's skin is dark. he didn't comment on anything that color affected his ability, he commented on the basic skin tone compared to the color of the football and uniforms. i found it 1000x more offensive when a white guy says he should play back or receiver, that to me is racially offensive.

dude's point is 100% valid and i wish lamar would say, uh, people my skin is dark. but i am a white person saying this. from any black person, or non-white person, am i out of line to think this is overblown?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...radio-analyst-tim-ryan-lamar-jackson-comments
Being AA and having been exposed in my professional career to racism. I personally think he should have been fired. However i will not further discuss this issue . Due to how i know AA are perceived in this country. Especially successful ones.

I love Lamar Jackson and everything he stands for. He is the NFL league MVP IMO.

Still, I have a hard time seeing the football versus his hands when he tucks the ball in the stomach of his RB only to pull it back out and break ankles with his incredible moves. I understand what Ryan was trying to say, but his words are looked at as toxic in today's USA. People are way too sensitive about just the observation he made. I don't believe his intent was to insult anyone. He was just making an observation and the over sensitive on the social media platforms lost their minds as usual. People can't even make observatory comments any longer without fear of personal attacks? Also I think it was just a knee jerk response to suspend him based on the blow back from the social media warriors. People need to lighten up some. Relax. We all live on this rock together. Might as well accept that.

I love Lamar Jackson and everything he stands for. He is the NFL league MVP IMO.

Still, I have a hard time seeing the football versus his hands when he tucks the ball in the stomach of his RB only to pull it back out and break ankles with his incredible moves. I understand what Ryan was trying to say, but his words are looked at as toxic in today's USA. People are way too sensitive about just the observation he made. I don't believe his intent was to insult anyone. He was just making an observation and the over sensitive on the social media platforms lost their minds as usual. People can't even make observatory comments any longer without fear of personal attacks? Also I think it was just a knee jerk response to suspend him based on the blow back from the social media warriors. People need to lighten up some. Relax. We all live on this rock together. Might as well accept that.
Yeah and Howard Cosell WAS referring to his grandkids when he said looked at that little monkey go. I agree people are too sensitive but that’s what happens when respect disappears.

Gage me this if let's say Micheal Irvin because he played with Emmit Smith said something negative about Christian, McCaffrey being a White running back would say then White people not call for him to be suspended or fired?

I feel sorry for you saying that you hate White People. I am Black American and I don't follow the narrative that all White people are evil or that all my problems are caused by them. Second if the guy would have Sayed the black uniforms I might not be so salty but the ball is in Lamar's hand. How much of his Black skin is hiding the ball if it is in his hand?

Reactions: glassmanJ

Me personally I think he said it as an excuse to why the 49ers lost. Because how could a guy from U of L thatany felt couldn't play QB in the league, best the volted 49ers defense.

Reactions: Guardman
Last post on this thread, promise. What was wrong with the guy just saying Lamar Jackson is the most deceptive QB I have seen in hiding the ball from his opponents.

Yeah and Howard Cosell WAS referring to his grandkids when he said looked at that little monkey go. I agree people are too sensitive but that’s what happens when respect disappears.
Dude the two situations aren't even remotely the same. Cosell said what he said and meant what he said and he paid the price. Ryan wasn't attempting to be racist with his observation. Not in my opinion. I feel that people with racial bias in their hearts are the people who see more than what's actually there. Yes, Ryan probably could have said what he said in a different way without mentioning the color of Lamar's skin and I'm sure he wishes he had now. Still, this has been taken to a way over the top level. Lamar has pretty good size hands too. Is it racist for me to say that? Gash I hope not. That's not MY intent. His skin tone and the size of his hands along with how he holds the ball when placing it in the gut of a RB makes it very difficult to tell where the football actually is in real time. When he pulls it out of the gut of the RB to take off with the ball, his incredible Barry Sanders like moves breaks ankles. It's awesome to watch and I freaking love it! This is my last response on this incident. Ryan has been suspended and as far as I'm concerned, it's now a nothing burger. I'll just enjoy watching the most dynamic and entertaining football player in the NFL. :D

I would bet that Lamar gas no problem with it and probably laughed.

Kerry, an honest question and to satisfy a mind that thinks of all possibilities....

what if black commentator, or let's say even michael vick because he's lamar's constant comparison, what if michael vick, and not a white guy, had said the exact same comment, would it be racist, or is it just because a white guy said it makes it racist? would we agree with vick comments or disagree with him? would we call him correct or just stupid but we wouldn't call him a racist would we?

that's my defining line on race, outside of the "word", i've felt if a person of the same race would say the same thing is it racism or just a thinking mind trapped in a body that did ntoochoose it's color of skin, place of birth, or mother? i look for the reason behind the words and i think dude was right but i agree, it would have best been said "Lamar is just utterly fantastic at using his god given gifts and abilities to hide the football and keep defenses on it's heels. we never knew where the ball was"

but as i said before, i brought this topic up to learn and i have. i've traveled the world and one thing i have seen for sure is in every single country i;ve visited, one group hates another and usually identifies their skin color to justify the hate. that's why i love the genome project, eventually everyone will realize we are all black and come from the same places. everyone just wants to be loved, not fear for the basic needs, and to feel like our time here means something. and to also say, screw uk, go cards. just kidding cat fans, i know too many of you but it's funny to say. peace and love

Good question Glass

First of all racism is power.
When one race subjugates another race or ethnicity. Or decides in the interest of another race over another through economics.

It was a bigoted statement, even if joking. It was unnecessary. Ive never thought about camaflouge and the ball. Even though the game is about deception.

People of the same ethnicities will say bigoted things about other races, Blacks, jews, Whites, however thats more of a "family thing"

I have white Facebook friends who call each other the "C" word or even the "N" word. Thats between them. As long as theyre not insulting anyone else, not a biggie.

So if Vick had said that about Lamar, it would have got a pass.

Remember when Isaiah and Rodman said "if Larry Bird were Black he'd be just another ball player?
Very controversial. Isaiah paid a price for that dis.

Ryan may or not be racist, but to point out Lamar's skin colour as if he is an alien, is besmirching all the hard work he has put into being a top notch QB.

You represent an organization, be professional. Those comments will upset fans. Its why he is suspended.

Lamar may laugh it off, however many people wont.
The history of stigmatizating of people with different colour skin is far reaching.

Remember when Isaiah and Rodman said "if Larry Bird were Black he'd be just another ball player?
I remember that. Being a Bird fan, it bothered me more than anything else because it was so stupid and obviously wrong. Bird’s stats were way better than either of them and was single-handedly responsible for the resurgence of the Celtics. His matchups with Dr J and Magic were some of the most compelling stuff the NBA had to offer. It doesn’t bother me so much now because I don’t think they said it seriously or with any great thought or analysis.

Reactions: glassmanJ

This is where I got to in my thinking as well. I think he was minimizing Lamar at QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT