ADVERTISEMENT

3-2 win over WF

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
WVB lose the first 2 sets by close scores, only to rebound with 2 overwhelming set wins, and dominating in the 15-6 tie breaker.

Match was not televised, and was played at WF, so nothing to report beyond that, but just seeing the scoring it would suggest that UL is capable of crushing an opponent in front of a hostile environment when faced with losing a conference match.

Gutsy come back, but arrived uninspired.

I couldn’t find it anywhere so all I could do was to keep getting the score updates. I have to admit once we were down 2-0 I didn’t have much hope I just thought we came in flat. Very impressed that we came back to win 3 straight sets to win the match especially on the road.

If you look at the scores across the country, you see an emerging pattern with Women’s Volleyball, one where matches that were predictably finishing 3-0, are increasingly finishing into 3-1, and even a few 3-2 finishes.

The traditional schools like Nebraska, Stanford, UL, Wisconsin, Texas, etc continue to dominate in this sport, but they are beginning to experience challenges within their own respective conferences.

A disturbing trend I see is that a lot of local Louisville girls are going to some of the top programs away from home. I think we have played 4 or 5 schools so far this year that have a player from Louisville. One of the top players in the city this year from Sacred Heart had committed to Wisconsin.

Reactions: shutterbug
A disturbing trend I see is that a lot of local Louisville girls are going to some of the top programs away from home. I think we have played 4 or 5 schools so far this year that have a player from Louisville. One of the top players in the city this year from Sacred Heart had committed to Wisconsin.
Can we really get all of them at UL every year Kozmas? Home many roster spots do we have open? Each Year to be filled? Louisville Metro is a Mecca for Women's H.S. Volleyball. It is producing I've heard Double Digit Division One players almost every year. Keep in mind most of these ladies stay at least 4 years, wherever they commit. This is opening only 4-5 slots on a UL Roster per year, barring Transfers. My point going to be tough to keep all the Local Ladies at home on the UL Team. This just part of having a great Culture for Ladies Volleyball in this area.

Right now we only have 2 players on our roster from Louisville and one is a senior ( Anna DeBeer) and the other is a junior ( Elena Scott). We have Louisville natives on Washington State, Pittsburgh, Texas and now Wisconsin rosters just to name a few. How can we produce so many good players in our city and so few players from our city on the team?

Right now we only have 2 players on our roster from Louisville and one is a senior ( Anna DeBeer) and the other is a junior ( Elena Scott). We have Louisville natives on Washington State, Pittsburgh, Texas and now Wisconsin rosters just to name a few. How can we produce so many good players in our city and so few players from our city on the team?
For the reasons I explained. When you get to UL's level, who are recruiting on a National Level. This for about I believe it is about 12 Roster spots. Players are staying on Teams 4-5 years. You may only have 2-3 spots open any given year. I trust the UL Coach on bringing in the right players. And if she recruits a Local Girl, I feel strongly in a lot of cases, she gets the Girls she wants. You said it is a" disturbing trend." Your words not mine. I gave you some of the reasons why. I would NOT call anything going on with our Ladies Volleyball Team. That I would describe as a "disturbing trend". You want to dispute that? Have at it!

Keep in mind…sometimes kids want to go away for school. Can’t fault them. Maybe the position they play is locked up by someone (at UofL) at the time recruiting is going on. Maybe there is a player from another state, same position, who the coaches just like more. So many different reasons.

Reactions: Mayoman and cocoa
Keep in mind…sometimes kids want to go away for school. Can’t fault them. Maybe the position they play is locked up by someone (at UofL) at the time recruiting is going on. Maybe there is a player from another state, same position, who the coaches just like more. So many different reasons.
Certainly not a "Disturbing Trend" in the words of another poster. Also, for the VERY TOP players. NIL money may start to come into play too?? Just saying, something to watch.

So let me get this straight some of the top programs have the same situation we have. They have a 12 player roster and most of them are at their schools for 4 years like our players. If that is the reason for us then how are they able to get the best players out of Louisville and we aren’t if we are all using the same criteria.

Reactions: 2330859
Losing local talent is never a good thing. Kids and their parents will always have the freedom to select their college choice, and my contribution to this exchange is not intended to interfere with whatever they decide; but as a fan of UL, I join Koz when it comes to encouraging all local talent to stay home.

Our coaches know the kids, and they know their respective programs; I believe they would only be pursuing those local athletes who fit the roster requirements.

Reactions: Mayoman
Losing local talent is never a good thing. Kids and their parents will always have the freedom to select their college choice, and my contribution to this exchange is not intended to interfere with whatever they decide; but as a fan of UL, I join Koz when it comes to encouraging all local talent to stay home.

Our coaches know the kids, and they know their respective programs; I believe they would only be pursuing those local athletes who fit the roster requirements.
Exactly 2330859! Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder! What one Coach views as his Top Recruit, another may pass on, for the various several reasons already mentioned. This happens in All Sports, at all levels, and is not a" Disturbing Trend, "at UL. Going back my earlier post. I believe Coach Bushbaum Kelly gets most of the Girls SHE WANTS in the UL area, THAT want to come to UL. Read that statement closely! This is what I, and others are trying to point out to Kosmas. That there is NO " Disturbing Trend " at UL. When Coach arrived on campus, UL Volleyball was moving in the opposite direction of where it is now. Which is now at the Top of Womens College Volleyball. The prior regime is no longer coaching, because they were not meeting those lofty expectations. So, to be perfectly honest your " disturbing trend " comment, shows a total lack of understanding of what a winning program looks like, and operates. She has obviously upgraded the Roster! And I feel certain is she sees a Young Lady in the Louisville that can play Championship Level Volleyball, and is needed for a roster spot, and wants to stay home play for her Hometown School, That Young Lady will be on our Team, if it's the right fit for all parties.

We only have 2 players from Louisville on our roster one junior and one senior. The teams we have played against that have Louisville players on their rosters are really good. Monk from Pittsburgh who is a freshmen from Louisville was torching us. It is hard to believe that these local kids weren’t good enough to play for Louisville. However they were good enough to play for Texas, Wisconsin, Pittsburgh, etc.
I can understand that an athlete wants to go to a certain school because of her major or she just wants to get away from home. We used to have 5 players on our team from Louisville but that doesn’t seem to be the trend anymore. Like I have said before if these local athletes want to go away to college they should plan on having a career at the cities their colleges are in. That is where you will have your network coming home won’t do you any good.

We only have 2 players from Louisville on our roster one junior and one senior. The teams we have played against that have Louisville players on their rosters are really good. Monk from Pittsburgh who is a freshmen from Louisville was torching us. It is hard to believe that these local kids weren’t good enough to play for Louisville. However they were good enough to play for Texas, Wisconsin, Pittsburgh, etc.
I can understand that an athlete wants to go to a certain school because of her major or she just wants to get away from home. We used to have 5 players on our team from Louisville but that doesn’t seem to be the trend anymore. Like I have said before if these local athletes want to go away to college they should plan on having a career at the cities their colleges are in. That is where you will have your network coming home won’t do you any good.
To be honest I don't care if we have Zero girls from Louisville Metro and make the Final Four! I am done with you Dude! If you think Bushbaum Kelly has a Disturbing Trend in Recruiting You're not very smart! When we go back where we were, before she was hired! And cannot make the Final Four, or Elite Eight, when we missed on a player from Louisville who beats us in a Regional Final!! Post it on the Board and it will be worthwhile topic! I am out your kinda difficult to reason with!!

Oh I am so broken that you are done with me “ bud”. There is no problem being concerned that some of the top VB talent the country is going elsewhere instead of staying home. 2 of the best players on our team are from Louisville.

Cocoa: I am not sure Koz was directing his comments about recruiting local kids on to Coach Kelly, Perhaps I am the one missing the point here, but I did not interpret his posts as having anything to do with Kelly pursuing of overlooking these local girls.

I will agree with your point about “not caring if we get to the Final Four without any locals on the roster”; as far as I can see right now Coach Kelly is the MVP of UL WVB.

You and Koz are too valuable to this site to fall out over a difference of opinion, particularly if either one has misinterpreted the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT