ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 WBB Roster

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
I was asked the other day by a casual UofL fan just who was on the UofL WBB roster. Without any notes, I came up with 13 of the 14 on the roster. (And, I'm embarrassed to share with you who I left off in my initial response.) So, here's the 14 -- listed by roster number. It's way too early to predict who the starters will be. I'll leave that to you Kreskin's out there.

0 -- Ramani Parker -- 6'4" -- R-So
2 -- Ahlana Smith -- 5'9" -- Sr
3 -- Alexia Mobley -- 6'2" -- Fr
5 -- Mykasa Robinson -- 5'7" -- Sr
10 -- Hailey Van Lith -- 5'7" -- So
11 -- Norika Konno -- 5'10" -- Jr
12 -- Payton Verhulst -- 6'1" -- Fr
13 -- Merissah Russell -- 5'11" -- So
14 -- Kianna Smith -- 6'0" -- R Sr
21 -- Emily Engstler -- 6'1" -- Jr
22 -- Elizabeth Dixon -- 6'5" -- Sr
23 -- Chelsie Hall -- 5'7" -- Gr
44 -- Olivia Cochran -- 6'3" -- So
45 -- Sydni Schetnan -- 6'5" -- Fr

I did read an interesting tweet the other day from someone who follows ACC WBB very closely and this person offered their Cardinals starting five. I can't say I fully agree with it, but, I think it could be a productive starting five. I had to keep in mind that this wasn't a UofL fan.

G -- Van Lith
G -- Robinson
G -- Smith, K
F -- Engstler
F -- Cochran

What do the readers think? It might be interesting to have a poll, listing the players and the five you think wll start. I have no skills at setting up such a poll, though. It's a good day if I can remember how to access the CardinalSports website.

Let the games begin.

--sonja--

So hard to tell. He may come up with an initial starting 5 he believes will provide a consistent start to games. But, he can quickly adjust to take advantage of the other team’s weaknesses. Bring in Ahlana for speed. Bring in Konno for overall floor play. Get Olivia in as the 4, Lis at the 5 and Emily as a 3 - yikes - suddenly you have big, pounding, rebounding group on the floor. HLV and Kianna start - 100% confidence there. Robinson - I’d guess she starts due to her seniority and grit. After that, I go Emily and Cochran. I think Liz gets a ton of clock.

I see the top 25 came out today. NCST is 5 and we’re 6. Can’t believe NCST is more loaded than we are.

Sonya what’s your thoughts on where we sit, knowing the polls at this point are pretty useless.

HVL
K Smith
Engstler
Cochran
Hall

If Walz goes with a bigger lineup, replace Hall with Verhultz

Kreskin aka armensmith here with my unabashed starting lineup. I go with the easier ones first.
1. This is a given. Hailey will be a starting guard.
2. I don't think anyone will disagree with me that 6'1" or more Emily will also start. Anyone who can be a leading rebounder on a team where the starting center was 6'7" has to have a great "nose for the ball". Someone in charge of accuracy/facts in the various sports publications/boards may not be telling the truth as Emily has to be at least 6'4" in order to rebound as well as she does :rolleyes: She is a real talent and can score as well.
3. Keanna was the second-leading scorer on the team last year and had a bushel of assists. How can anyone leave a smooth ball handler and a 6'0" wing off? She will start.
4. I am picking 6'5" Liz Dixon, who has the size to battle the big women of other teams, to sneak past Olivia and be the 4th starter. Liz showed great signs of improvement toward the end of last year.
5. I am hoping Mykasa will show that she can score 8 or 10 points. We know she distributes the ball well and is a tiger on defense. Because we have a seasoned and excellent guard in Chelsie Hall as an instant sub, I think that Mykasa will get the starting nod. If she shows any inclination to have improved her offense, then she would rank right behind Hailey in my list. Still, It is marvelous how far Mykasa has come since her freshman year!!

It really doesn't matter to me who starts, its who finishes that's more important to me. Jeff, like every season will use the early games to play with different rotations. I just like the fact that we appear to be loaded but so are a lot of teams due to the Covid Super Season rule and the portal. The ACC is going to be a beast this season and I can't wait!

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I really like this team they are going to be fun to watch, there are a lot of interchangeable parts. I find it hard to believe UNCST is ranked above us also but the good thing is we play them and we will able to settle it on the floor. I also like our schedule that will keep things interesting through the season.

The perennial weakness that I have observer the last decade or so, has been lack of talented size. Not so much on our offensive end, but more about our inability to defend some of our opponent Inside.

Walz has the experienced depth and size that he has never enjoyed quite like this before, and it will not matter who starts; what I expect is the combinations that he will employ when playing an opponent with a dominant inside threat. Cochran literally wore down last year and as a true Freshman it was too much pressure to expect her to rise up during the tournament. Dixon and Parker bring that level of experience and talent that will relieve Olivia of carrying so much alone.

Reactions: Sonja
The perennial weakness that I have observer the last decade or so, has been lack of talented size. Not so much on our offensive end, but more about our inability to defend some of our opponent Inside.

Walz has the experienced depth and size that he has never enjoyed quite like this before, and it will not matter who starts; what I expect is the combinations that he will employ when playing an opponent with a dominant inside threat. Cochran literally wore down last year and as a true Freshman it was too much pressure to expect her to rise up during the tournament. Dixon and Parker bring that level of experience and talent that will relieve Olivia of carrying so much alone.
You're gonna love Engstler

--sonja--

It really doesn't matter to me who starts, its who finishes that's more important to me. Jeff, like every season will use the early games to play with different rotations. I just like the fact that we appear to be loaded but so are a lot of teams due to the Covid Super Season rule and the portal. The ACC is going to be a beast this season and I can't wait!
While I realize that Jeff may rotate players around or that it is more important who plays when the game is on the line, the OP (Sonja) asked who we THINK might start. Venturing an opinion on who will start say in the first games or two is not stepping on anybody's toes. I am very uncertain as are all others who will start, but I did venture my guess above in a post and reasons why. I like Norika, Merissah, Ahlana Smith, Alexia, and Ramani, all who are talented and likely could start for many other D-1 teams. I think, however, that HVL (s), Robinson (s), Dixon (s), Englster (s), Keanna Smith (s), Cochran, Verhulst, and Chelsie will get the most playing minutes. That is eight players compared to last year when the Cards had but 7 players who played more than 15 minutes per game. My bet hedger is to say that of the ones not in my top 8 could very well have a breakout year (hopefully Ramani and/or Norika) and get a lot of minutes.:)

Last edited:
It is going to be a tough decision for JW, but just like last year he mixed and matched his line up according to the game plan.

I would expect to see Kasa, HVL, K Smith, Emily and Olivia initially.

You do realize that Dixon and Cochran shared the inside and had about equal playing time minutes for the year. Defensively, Cochran had slightly more rebounds, Dixon more blocked shots, Cochran more turn overs, and steals were equal.

I really like this team they are going to be fun to watch, there are a lot of interchangeable parts. I find it hard to believe UNCST is ranked above us also but the good thing is we play them and we will able to settle it on the floor. I also like our schedule that will keep things interesting through the season.
Unfortunately we play State only at their place.

Emily could well average a double-double this year. Jeff is really high on her as he was about Chelsie and her ability to distribute the ball to open players. I hope someone can give us a good written summary of Jeff's discussion and the questions posed to him. These old ears could not get much of it.

Coach Beth was our speaker at Central Cardinal Club this month. She is a hoot! Beth got me so excited about this UofL group, I'm having F4 dreams.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Jeff’s Media Day presser didn’t give me any major surprises. He does seem. Very happy about Chelsie Hall in that she has been much more than what he expected - obviously, this is good. Engstler can be as good as Engstler chooses to be. He’s expecting Hall, Engstler and Verhulst to the newcomers who contribute. Said Sydni isn’t red-shirting but she has a ways to go. I did not hear any mention of Ahlana Smith or Konno. I think they will get spot minutes here and there; but, unless they are really on fire they may see limited minutes. He spoke very highly of Robinson.

I do recall Coach Beth talking about Konno. CJW arranged for her to go home this summer for her to be able to play ball with Japanese Olympic team. It was a huge event for her due to home being so far and after the covid sucks travel restriction.
I’m trying to recall Smith talk. 😶‍🌫️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT