ADVERTISEMENT

2017 WSJ Valuations of NCAA Basketball Teams Economic Impact

wilkie01

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Planet Red
Data came from WSJ. The 10 most valuable basketball programs:

Big 10 (4), ACC (3), B12 (1), PAC 12 (1), and SEC (1).

Values Given in Millions of Dollars
1. Kentucky $246.6 SEC
2. Indiana $243.0 B10
3. Louisville $233.6 ACC
4. Kansas $191.2 B12
5. Duke $169.8 ACC
6. Wisconsin $160.7 B10
7. Syracuse $149.6 ACC
8. Ohio State $143.3 B10
9. Arizona $133.9 PAC 12
0. Maryland $131.9 B10

How do P5 conferences compare:

(1) Big 10 Total Valuation: $1,442,100,000 Big 10 Average: $103,007,143
(2) ACC Total Valuation: $1,140,900,000 ACC Average: $76,060,000
(3) SEC Total Valuation: $994,500,000 SEC Average: $71,035,714
(4) Big 12 Total Valuation: $655,500,000 Big 12 Average: $65,550,000
(5) PAC 12 Total Valuation: $618,600,000 PAC 12 Average: $51,550,000

I found this to be interesting. Hope you enjoy. here is how the ACC looks:

ACC Values Given in Millions of Dollars
3. Louisville $233.6
5. Duke $169.8
7. Syracuse $149.6
11. North Carolina $118.9
33. Pittsburgh $62.7
37. Clemson $58.1
38. N.C. State $57.5
42. Miami $50.8
43. Virginia $49.8
50. Florida State $46.0
62. Virginia Tech $37.9
68. Wake Forest $34.3
78. Boston College $29.7
81. Georgia Tech $27.7
105. Note Dame $14.5

Well this may or may not surprise you, but does show the weak sisters.

This data does speak volumes. Now if Petrino just get us in the Top 10 in football and our President raises our academies to The AAU level!

Last edited:
Reactions: CommodoreCard
This data does speak volumes. Now if Petrino just get us in the Top 10 in football and our President riae our academies to The AAU level!

Ky is pissed that we passed them in all around sports, they will be suicidal if we pass them in academics. Although, A) Academics are not cherished by most of your average Ky fans and B) The academic bar at Ky isn't that high to pass with nominal changes at UofL.

Reactions: gocds and wilkie01
Too many hard-to-explain teams on that list for it to be worthy of much discussion...

Tobacco Road gets far too much credit for being the hollowed ground of college basketball. We see where the stroke is
Reminds me of something I saw a couple weeks ago, on I believe ESPN. That said that Chapel Hill, NC. is the best college basketball town/city in the country. If Chapel Hill NC. is such a great basketball town. Then why are there always so many empty seats in the Dean Dome? If they aren't playing Duke or UofL or Kentucky or some other top-10 team there's always 6 to 8,000 empty seats in the Smith Center.... And as far as Duke & UNC being the best, most intense rivalry in college basketball. Or at least that's what ESPN keeps telling us. I know of 2 different people that was born & raised in North Carolina that saw the Duke, UNC rivalry up close. THEN they moved to Kentucky. They BOTH said that there is far more intensity between UK & UofL than there is between Duke & UNC.

Reactions: wilkie01
Surprised that ND is that low. But then again, all they care about is football.

Always said that Mike Brey has the easiest gig in college basketball.

The last four teams are all private schools. It's much tougher to get accurate financial numbers from private schools. Miami and Duke are the only schools in the top group which are private.

Last edited:
I think this shows that we are a power that has not reach our full potential. Our greatest days are still in the future. We will become an AAU in the future also.

Ky is pissed that we passed them in all around sports, they will be suicidal if we pass them in academics. Although, A) Academics are not cherished by most of your average Ky fans and B) The academic bar at Ky isn't that high to pass with nominal changes at UofL.
And it will take some serious proof to show me that this is not behind the getting rid of Ramsey and TJ.

To slow things down, and MAYBE derail it completely.

They certainly succeeded in slowing it down.

Now we'll see if we get rolling again.

I don't understand how they can tell in regards to apparel. If I go and buy a Notre Dame t-shirt because I'm a volleyball fan...how do they know why?

Data came from WSJ. The 10 most valuable basketball programs:

Big 10 (4), ACC (3), B12 (1), PAC 12 (1), and SEC (1).

Values Given in Millions of Dollars
1. Kentucky $246.6 SEC
2. Indiana $243.0 B10
3. Louisville $233.6
ACC
4. Kansas $191.2 B12
5. Duke $169.8
ACC
Wisconsin $160.7 B10
7. Syracuse $149.6
ACC
8. Ohio State $143.3 B10
9. Arizona $133.9 PAC 12
0. Maryland $131.9 B10

How do P5 conferences compare:

(1) Big 10 Total Valuation: $1,442,100,000 Big 10 Average: $103,007,143
(2) ACC Total Valuation: $1,140,900,000 ACC Average: $76,060,000
(3) SEC Total Valuation: $994,500,000 SEC Average: $71,035,714
(4) Big 12 Total Valuation: $655,500,000 Big 12 Average: $65,550,000
(5) PAC 12 Total Valuation: $618,600,000 PAC 12 Average: $51,550,000

I found this to be interesting. Hope you enjoy. here is how the ACC looks:

ACC Values Given in Millions of Dollars
3. Louisville $233.6
5. Duke $169.8
7. Syracuse $149.6
11. North Carolina $118.9
33. Pittsburgh $62.7
37. Clemson $58.1
38. N.C. State $57.5
42. Miami $50.8
43. Virginia $49.8
50. Florida State $46.0
62. Virginia Tech $37.9
68. Wake Forest $34.3
78. Boston College $29.7
81. Georgia Tech $27.7
105. Note Dame $14.5

Well this may or may not surprise you, but does show the weak sisters.

And we now know (as if we didn’t know already) why the ACC chose UofL over UConn or any other pretender, to be an ACC member. Our best days ARE indeed in front of us and the powers that be understand that. Thank you Tom Jurich and Dr. James Ramsey.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I’m not sure fans anywhere care about academics. That just sounds like sour grapes. UL and UK are fine schools. I do think UK is stronger right now but I think it’s been better managed the last 15 years. But UL will be fine. The big surprise is how UK has become the best medical institution in the state. And that’s not an opinion. I think of all the things UL leadership should regret is how UK made their medical complex a mission while UL focused on salaries and athletics. It will be hard for UL to catchup to UK as a medical institution now. I can remember a time when UL had as good or better medical institution.

I’m not sure fans anywhere care about academics. That just sounds like sour grapes. UL and UK are fine schools. I do think UK is stronger right now but I think it’s been better managed the last 15 years. But UL will be fine. The big surprise is how UK has become the best medical institution in the state. And that’s not an opinion. I think of all the things UL leadership should regret is how UK made their medical complex a mission while UL focused on salaries and athletics. It will be hard for UL to catchup to UK as a medical institution now. I can remember a time when UL had as good or better medical institution.

Well you are blowing smoke about something you obviously know nothing about. UofL research is light years ahead of uahkay. Uakay is attempting to “steal” UofL’s staff and have had some minimal success but those folks like living in a city that has a far better arts and music scene than does Lessington. I would invite you to go back to your own board but as you know, it’s pretty boring over there.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Excuse me if I categorize that as a slapd!ck perspective...

Great, another Ky fan telling us the Ky perspective. Who the f**k cares what you have to say. My dog Ralph knows more about UofL's medical campus than you do.

Wasn't this dude banned from here before? Now he's back wanting his attention again. Pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT