ADVERTISEMENT

1st Three Games

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Syracuse, UCF, FSU. This will be the most important stretch of games in Satt’s career. If he goes 3-0, we are well positioned for success. 2-1 and we are basically continuing our slightly above average ways but would have optimism for the rest of the season. 1-2 or 0-3 would totally derail the momentum we have gotten from recruiting and would put us back on Jeff Brohm watch.

I agree I am really hoping for a good year one good enough that will help us recruit at a high caliber.

1-2 or 0-3 would totally derail the momentum we have gotten from recruiting and would put us back on Jeff Brohm watch.
Unless JB goes 1-2.

He won’t go 0-3 because he has Indiana State thrown in there.

But he starts with Penn St, and number three is, ironically, at ‘Cuse.

THAT comparison game could “make or break” the “JB to the Ville” talk.

Unless JB goes 1-2.

He won’t go 0-3 because he has Indiana State thrown in there.

But he starts with Penn St, and number three is, ironically, at ‘Cuse.

THAT comparison game could “make or break” the “JB to the Ville” talk.

To be honest if things go sideways with Satt I think JB will be the fans choice regardless of how Purdue’s season goes. He made it fairly clear over the summer that the Louisville job is something he’d want if the opportunity presented itself again.

To be honest if things go sideways with Satt I think JB will be the fans choice regardless of how Purdue’s season goes. He made it fairly clear over the summer that the Louisville job is something he’d want if the opportunity presented itself again.
If he doesn’t improve at PU and “we” still want him?

Then John L Smith was right about “us” and our awareness of the pecking order.

Jeff is clearly cut out of the same cloth as his mentor (Bobby Petrino) most effective at developing the QB position. I have little expectation that Jeff can do much more, or improve on what Satterfield has been able to accomplish thus far. If this fanbase fails to find some patience with UL FB coaching, it will be mired in mediocrity.

I am cognizant of CSS flirtation with the SC opening, but if he has success this season, his recruiting class should serve as sufficient reason to ignore most other opportunities.

Reactions: scrumm21 and gocds
Jeff is clearly cut out of the same cloth as his mentor (Bobby Petrino) most effective at developing the QB position. I have little expectation that Jeff can do much more, or improve on what Satterfield has been able to accomplish thus far. If this fanbase fails to find some patience with UL FB coaching, it will be mired in mediocrity.

I am cognizant of CSS flirtation with the SC opening, but if he has success this season, his recruiting class should serve as sufficient reason to ignore most other opportunities.
I totally agree. Jeff B is not the solution here. He was an outstanding qb here during his time but that doesn't mean he has evolved into a truly outstanding coach at this level. And just because he played here does NOT make him the ideal or perfect candidate to be our next coach. Unless, of course, he makes very significant progress over the next year or two or three as a head coach. We should expect nothing but the best possible prospect if, and when, we need the successor to our present coach.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: TPACardsFan
I totally agree. Jeff B is not the solution here. He was an outstanding qb here during his time but that doesn't mean he has evolved into a truly outstanding coach at this level. And just because he played here does NOT make him the ideal or perfect candidate to be our next coach. Unless, of course, he makes very significant progress over the next year or two or three as a head coach. We should expect nothing but the best possible prospect if, and when, we need the successor to our present coach.

GO CARDS!!!
What makes Brohm the ideal - no such thing as perfect - choice are the intangibles that he brings to this job. Louisville football has been a revolving door at the HC position for far too long. That instability has left the program in constant catch up mode - never able to take meaningful strides forward and hold onto the momentum.

I believe that with UofL embracing the NIL situation combined with Brohm’s track record for recruiting, would allow him to be more successful at UofL in the ACC than he has been at purdoo. Furthermore, short of abject failure or unparalleled success, I see him being here for the long haul. I don’t think we can say the same about Satterfield as he’s clearly shown where his interest and loyalties lie.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
What makes Brohm the ideal - no such thing as perfect - choice are the intangibles that he brings to this job. Louisville football has been a revolving door at the HC position for far too long. That instability has left the program in constant catch up mode - never able to take meaningful strides forward and hold onto the momentum.

I believe that with UofL embracing the NIL situation combined with Brohm’s track record for recruiting, would allow him to be more successful at UofL in the ACC than he has been at purdoo. Furthermore, short of abject failure or unparalleled success, I see him being here for the long haul. I don’t think we can say the same about Satterfield as he’s clearly shown where his interest and loyalties lie.
So, trying to get closer to his parents(one in failing health) and nearer to his early life shows where his loyalty is, but Brohm who was HC at Western, now Purdue, and has shown interest in several ways to Louisville, is okay?

I like Jeff, and for that matter the entire Brohm clan; but his ship sailed when he rejected the opportunity to return home. I doubt he will ever be hired as HC at UL.
233 your point of JB's rejection of an opportunity here is being completely forgotten by those folks that are, in my opinion, more loyal to a former player than the University as a whole. JB was a fine qb, as I've already mentioned, but he also rejected UofL's overtures and that, alone, would put him on the back burner as a head coaching candidate here. And anyway, we have a head coach that has had some success here and is strongly projected to have a good team coming back this year. If we do, indeed, have a really good season then JB's opportunities here will dim considerably. Unless, of course, an opportunity for CSS takes him elsewhere. And even then, if poodoo and Jeff are very mediocre at best then I would suggest that UofL look elsewhere for an up and coming young coach that is already proving himself as a potential winner.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: TPACardsFan
We all should have learned by now that anything can and will happen when it comes to football coaches here at UofL.

No one really saw Bobby Petrino coming back after the way he left but when Tom Jurich pulled that off, most of us were excited and we saw how that went. At least he brought #8 to the Ville.

Jeff Brohms decision to stay at Purdue really was probably the right thing at that time. A lot of people respected his professionalism of not kicking Purdue in the gut after they just gave him his first big coaching opportunity. Remember, no one saw that disaster year where Petrino basically stopped coaching and Brohm figured he would have the chance to come home when Petrino left for greener pastures again.

Well, the time table was rushed forward after that debacle and Brohm was in a tough position to lie to his Purdue players and be just like a Petrino. Forget what we started I have to go home just wasn't the right thing to do.

But now, a few years later, things are much different. Purdue hasn't got to that next level and the shine has dimmed a bit on the young head coach. Louisville is at a crossroads of sorts with Scott Satterfield as he hasn't got the Cards back in the top 25 in a ACC conference that has been down during his tenure.

His recruiting this year has renewed hope for the fans and whether he goes 9 and 3 or 6 and 6, he may be off to somewhere else in January. If that happens and Brohm is offered the job, there's no doubt he would accept this time and most fans would be on board not bothered that he turned us down before.

I expect the unexpected with Louisville football.

So, trying to get closer to his parents(one in failing health) and nearer to his early life shows where his loyalty is, but Brohm who was HC at Western, now Purdue, and has shown interest in several ways to Louisville, is okay?
The short answer is yes.

I was not placing a value judgment on Satterfield’s loyalties / choices - they are personal to him and, his to make. I understand and accept that. With that said, UofL needs someone who will be consistently loyal to them in order to move the program forward.

I believe Brohm is that coach.

233 your point of JB's rejection of an opportunity here is being completely forgotten by those folks that are, in my opinion, more loyal to a former player than the University as a whole. JB was a fine qb, as I've already mentioned, but he also rejected UofL's overtures and that, alone, would put him on the back burner as a head coaching candidate here. And anyway, we have a head coach that has had some success here and is strongly projected to have a good team coming back this year. If we do, indeed, have a really good season then JB's opportunities here will dim considerably. Unless, of course, an opportunity for CSS takes him elsewhere. And even then, if poodoo and Jeff are very mediocre at best then I would suggest that UofL look elsewhere for an up and coming young coach that is already proving himself as a potential winner.

GO CARDS!!!
We’ve had several “up and coming young coaches that is already proving himself as a potential winner” and, not a one of them has stayed long enough to see their second recruiting class graduate. You have to go back to Schnellenberger to find a coach who was here more than five years.

Reactions: SoulSr
We’ve had several “up and coming young coaches that is already proving himself as a potential winner” and, not a one of them has stayed long enough to see their second recruiting class graduate. You have to go back to Schnellenberger to find a coach who was here more than five years.
And I'm most certainly not denying your premise, but we have to hope that the trend that you mentioned is coming to an end. We must hang on to coaches that show great promise and help them develop a great recruiting base and that includes local (Louisville area) kids because I'm STILL not convinced that the Commonwealth, outside of Jefferson County, develops great high school football talent. Some southern Indiana and southern Ohio talent thrown in would be a huge help.

GO CARDS!!!

The irony here is any “Brohm to UL” would largely depend on two events occurring, one is Purdue failing under Brohm, and Jeff having to leave voluntarily or otherwise. Secondly, UL loses Satterfield under a scenario where he either fails, or is so successful that he follows the Schnellenberger, JL Smith and Petrino path.

If Jeff cannot compete at Purdue, there is very little indication that he would be successful here. Purdue has given Jeff everything he has asked for, and the schedule and expectations are most reasonable.

The irony here is any “Brohm to UL” would largely depend on two events occurring, one is Purdue failing under Brohm, and Jeff having to leave voluntarily or otherwise. Secondly, UL loses Satterfield under a scenario where he either fails, or is so successful that he follows the Schnellenberger, JL Smith and Petrino path.

If Jeff cannot compete at Purdue, there is very little indication that he would be successful here. Purdue has given Jeff everything he has asked for, and the schedule and expectations are most reasonable.
Have to disagree with this. First thing is he is competing at Purdue which they hadn't done in awhile before Brohm arrived. Secondly, recruiting is much better at UofL than Purdue, especially with skill positions.

If Satterfield leaves for any reason in January, there isn't a coach out there that Louisville could actually get that would have a far better resume than Brohm. If somehow someone did than by all means UofL should consider that coach.

As I see it, if Satterfield wants to stay and be a legacy coach here, I'm all for it if the wins come as the recruiting is sustained, but if he leaves I don't see how Jeff Brohm would not be the next head coach where only a NFL job could sway Brohm from being that legacy coach here at UofL. Unless of course he loses which is always a possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPGhost
As far as the first 3 games this season are concerned, I think it is very reasonable to say that the Cards must go at least 2-1 or the season could go south in a hurry. Considering that UCF and FSU are the two stronger opponents out of the 3 games, that basically means that the Syracuse opener is pretty close to a must-win. Go Cards! Let the season begin!

Must disagree RealVille; as prolific of a QB school that UL has established, I think Purdue can challenge just about any school for distinction at that position. As far as the other skill position recruiting …… up until this 2023 class, I am not sure we have ever had an advantage over Purdue In recruiting. In fairness, the comparison between Purdue and UL is difficult, as Purdue‘s length association in the Big 10 dwarfs our time in the ACC.

I will concede that right now, with respect to the 2023 class ……… Satterfield and UL are recruiting well above anything that I can recall here. This class could result in a real game changer if we can sign those verbals.

With this recent potential for additional conference realignment, Purdue is in a far more stabile position than where UL and the rest of the ACC are right now. Until this gets sorted out, Brohm would be foolish to leave Purdue for any school that does not have some assurance of Power Conference alignment.

Reactions: gocds
Jesus, Brohm talk again, UGH.

There is a chance this team is 1-2 after 3 games. There is also a high likelihood this team wins games 4-6 no matter what their record is after 3 games. So the fair-weathered need to strap in for the season and not bail due to a potential slow start and losses to 2 above average football teams. I really think we are 4-2 after 6 games no matter what happens after the first 3!! Hell, maybe we are 5-1!!!!!! Are people gonna bitch about not being undefeated!?!

Jesus, Brohm talk again, UGH.

There is a chance this team is 1-2 after 3 games. There is also a high likelihood this team wins games 4-6 no matter what their record is after 3 games. So the fair-weathered need to strap in for the season and not bail due to a potential slow start and losses to 2 above average football teams. I really think we are 4-2 after 6 games no matter what happens after the first 3!! Hell, maybe we are 5-1!!!!!! Are people gonna bitch about not being undefeated!?!
Very well said Louis III! And, yes, there are UofL fans that will bitch and moan about anything they want to complain about. I can hear it now about "why we are not undefeated" because of our "easy" schedule. I guess all fan bases have these type fans but I tire of this crappola.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: Louis III
It sure doesn't take much for a Satt Out Brohm In thread to breakout.

Suffice it to say, the first two games if won setup a real big deal home opener against Florida State. Gives me 2016 vibes all over again, right on down to a loaded highlight reel possibility in the Carrier Dome but make no mistake about it...that UCF tilt in Orlando ain't no Charlotte. I am still trying to understand what exactly Central Florida has or is returning but they have a nasty reputation at home. Job One...take care of the football. Job Two...let's stretch a lead in the 4th quarter instead of losing one. I want to see somebody from among Evans, or Cooley or Huggins-Bruce be a breakout player in Orlando

The short answer is yes.

I was not placing a value judgment on Satterfield’s loyalties / choices - they are personal to him and, his to make. I understand and accept that. With that said, UofL needs someone who will be consistently loyal to them in order to move the program forward.

I believe Brohm is that coach.
Then why didn’t he come when he had the chance? We offered him a very good deal. He just played us to get a raise out of Purdue. Hard pass.

Reactions: arizan and gocds
Then why didn’t he come when he had the chance? We offered him a very good deal. He just played us to get a raise out of Purdue. Hard pass.
I do not know the man, never met him, but I will give it a go and answer your question.

Timing is the answer. It was just bad timing.

Brohm got his first big job with Purdue, and after a huge one year improvement with the team, he was on his way of building his reputation as a exciting, aggressive young coach. Purdue fans were excited and recruiting was upgraded.

Then all of a sudden, his hometown school where he played had to fire Bobby Petrino in the middle of the season. Brohm's world got more complicated as he knew he was the man who would get the first offer.

Now a self centered, selfish coach would have dropped Purdue with little to no regard of what that would do to the team. Maybe Jeff Brohm is not that kind of coach? Maybe he believes in loyalty, especially when he has the entire Purdue fanbase begging him to stay?

I think we all know Brohm wanted to ultimately get the UofL gig, but he had to weigh everything that could come from a decision to bolt to Louisville. I think the guilt of letting so many people down just one year into being the head coach outweighed his dream of being the head man at his Alma mater.

He didn't want to start his coaching career like the coach he would be replacing. There is plenty of time to get the Louisville job but only one time to start a career with integrity.

So he decided to stay at Purdue and trust that he didn't burn any bridges with UofL. I think he's got nothing to worry about because if Satterfield decides to move on or is told to leave. Jeff Brohm would be more than ready to accept.

Syracuse, UCF, FSU. This will be the most important stretch of games in Satt’s career. If he goes 3-0, we are well positioned for success. 2-1 and we are basically continuing our slightly above average ways but would have optimism for the rest of the season. 1-2 or 0-3 would totally derail the momentum we have gotten from recruiting and would put us back on Jeff Brohm watch.
Here we go. Season hasn’t started and Brohm’s name comes up. With Satt’s recruiting of late if we go 6-6 I’ll stick with Satt. If we do less than that with one of the toughest schedules I’ll evaluate that then. I just don’t see us doing much better than 6-6 or 7-5. We shall see.

Here we go. Season hasn’t started and Brohm’s name comes up. With Satt’s recruiting of late if we go 6-6 I’ll stick with Satt. If we do less than that with one of the toughest schedules I’ll evaluate that then. I just don’t see us doing much better than 6-6 or 7-5. We shall see.

Just being realistic, if we are 1-2 or 0-3 the Brohm watch will be back. Satt has to have a good start to the season.

It's not necessarily about Satterfield failing. If he goes 9 and 3 no one can say for certain he wouldn't accept another job.

True Realville, but with this recruiting class coming in; Satterfield must know that he might be in a place that a HC a dreams about. Winning with this roster, tells me he could be pretty special with the talent he has “on deck”.

If we go 9-3, there will be a lot more talent in store for us as the season unfolds.

Nice post CardHack; I share those same questions about kids stepping up …… we may very well have some talent ready to explode (Cooley?)

Reactions: gocds
I’ve been skeptical about Satt from the moment he was hired. Always thought it was a bad fit. Regardless though it’s time for results, and as a long time season ticket holder I would love to see some more winning football and exciting in-game atmosphere.

I’m not sure what is driving the great recruiting run (is it Satt? Is it NIL? Is it Pierce Clarkson?). If the answer is NIL then I’m guessing Heird not gonna be accepting of mediocre football again this year.

Satterfield is likely buying himself at least 2 more years with this 2023 class. Getting rid of him after this year, with this class coming in, would jeopardize what is very likely to be the highest rated recruiting class in program history. It would have to be a monumental collapse to force a change after this year if this class remains reasonably in tact, much less if it improves as it appears it could.

I’ve been skeptical about Satt from the moment he was hired. Always thought it was a bad fit. Regardless though it’s time for results, and as a long time season ticket holder I would love to see some more winning football and exciting in-game atmosphere.

I’m not sure what is driving the great recruiting run (is it Satt? Is it NIL? Is it Pierce Clarkson?). If the answer is NIL then I’m guessing Heird not gonna be accepting of mediocre football again this year.
Based on the thread starter, you wanted Brohm. I don't understand the fit comment that I hear sometimes about Satt! WHY?

Have to disagree with this. First thing is he is competing at Purdue which they hadn't done in awhile before Brohm arrived. Secondly, recruiting is much better at UofL than Purdue, especially with skill positions.

If Satterfield leaves for any reason in January, there isn't a coach out there that Louisville could actually get that would have a far better resume than Brohm. If somehow someone did than by all means UofL should consider that coach.

As I see it, if Satterfield wants to stay and be a legacy coach here, I'm all for it if the wins come as the recruiting is sustained, but if he leaves I don't see how Brian Brohm would not be the next head coach where only a NFL job could sway Brohm from being that legacy coach here at UofL. Unless of course he loses which is always a possibility.
Brohm.... Wait, Brian Brohm? Was that first name a typo or is there some interest in him now?

Based on the thread starter, you wanted Brohm. I don't understand the fit comment that I hear sometimes about Satt! WHY?

I would prefer Brohm over Satt but that wasn’t the point of the thread. To your question, when I had done reading on Satt I saw that he loved a rural environment. I knew that he had been entrenched at App State and had the App St culture ingrained in him and thought it would be hard to replicate that at another school or at least in a timely manner. He had no NFL experience which I think is important. I didn’t find him particularly dynamic and didn’t think his personality would resonate with our fanbase. I thought we had our best success with coaches that had a chip on their shoulder and recruited guys that had that same motivation. I continue to hope he proves me wrong because I feel like I’m invested heavily in the program. But at this point it still just feels like an odd fit.

Football is a monster. It takes time to recover from poor roster management. This is the year they should start turning into a good program. Have to hold onto staff to keep continuity for a couple years. Recruiting has always been the key. 23 class is looking like it is going to be the best class ever. They have real momentum. They go 2-0 FSU game will be electric.

I think the Satt - USCjr stuff is overblown. Using that to judge loyalty is crazy. How about loyalty to stick by your school and the coaches. Fans have been a lot more ‘un’loyal to Satt between being unhappy with not beating UK, not having 9/10 win seasons, etc.

I think the Satt - USCjr stuff is overblown. Using that to judge loyalty is crazy. How about loyalty to stick by your school and the coaches. Fans have been a lot more ‘un’loyal to Satt between being unhappy with not beating UK, not having 9/10 win seasons, etc.
I like Satt and I believe that overall, under somewhat difficult conditions, he has done a pretty good job here. Not perfect by any means but overall a pretty fair job. We need to understand where we are in the pecking order and we are in a much better position than we were 5 to 10 (or longer) years ago. Let's be more grateful and join together to make UofL football (and all sports) better. Just my honest opinion. I want us to have a good enough season that we aren't thinking of firing a coach/staff and hiring a new coach regardless of whom that might be - that is always a very difficult situation and fraught with negatives.

GO CARDS!!!

Last edited:
I feel like the program has been so unlucky in so many games.

Most these games should be close. Hopefully they can get pressure on the QB with the front 4 or whatever without blitzing. I think if they are making big plays defensively in the opponent's backfield with at least some consistency they will have a good season. We need somebody to step up on the line and be that guy that we start to expect to make plays because he's making them.

The offense is going to be good enough. Feels like secondary has struggled for years. But maybe some of that is a lack of push up front.

Tackle guys behind the line!

It's true the Cards have had more than their share of bad luck or misfortune. I almost expect to see it on every TD. We lost at least two games in my opinion when a late TD was called back to a holding penalty that there wasn't even have a replay of.

But it's true that the Cards bad choices leads to those unlucky plays. Satterfield's play calling with a lead allowed the opponents to stay in the game. It's like the phantom holding penalty or the blown replay call is punishment.

My biggest beef with Satterfield is him being the OC. I can agree on a run first approach but he is way too predictable. Malik has saved his share of bad play calls.

If looked at individually, perhaps satterfield’s dalliance with USCjr was overblown. But the twin factors of how early in his tenure it came and, the collective weariness of the fan base at watching coach after coach use UofL to move on to what they thought were greener pastures can’t be discounted.

It was said at the time that he would need to win on the field to blunt the hard feelings created by that incident and, unfortunately he hasn’t.

I tend to agree with KnucleHank - I don’t think he’s a great fit here. More importantly, I think satterfield feels the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT