ADVERTISEMENT

10/17 scrimmage

Anyone that was there have a report?

Adel's 35 Points Paces Red Team in Intrasquad Scrimmage
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Deng Adel scored a game-high 35 points, including 22 in the second half, and the University of Louisville men's basketball Red Team earned a 97-81 victory over the White Team on Saturday evening in an intrasquad scrimmage in the KFC Yum! Center.

Adel connected on 12-of-18 field goal attempts, while going 9-of-10 from the free throw line. The freshman, one of the Red Team's four double-digit scorers, also grabbed nine rebounds and had six assists.

"It's going to be exciting because we can shoot," head coach Rick Pitino said after the game. "We can shoot free throws, which is a welcome sign, and I think we've got a lot of potential, because our young guys are going to grow, get better and better."

David Levitch added 19 points, Donovan Mitchell scored 18, and Mangok Mathiang had 15 points and three blocks in the victory.

Collectively, the Red Team shot 32-for-65 from the field and translated 23 White Team turnovers into 32 points. The team recorded more than a fourth of its points from the free throw line, hitting 25 of 33 attempts (75.8 percent), and scored 17 second-chance points.

Damion Lee, who had the contest's only double-double, paced the White Team with 33 points on 10-of-20 shooting. In addition to his 13 rebounds, he also collected five steals in 37 minutes of play. Trey Lewis contributed 14 points, and Quentin Snider had 13 points and four assists.

Chinanu Onuaku grabbed 12 rebounds, helping the White Team post a 42-39 advantage on the boards.

The Cardinals return to the KFC Yum! Center for their first of two scrimmages, playing Bellarmine on Nov. 1 at 1:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast on WAVE3 in Louisville.

HEAD COACH RICK PITINO'S POSTGAME COMMENTS

The second team is very strong because they scored 97 points. That's a good thing. They got the line 33 times. Generally, Mangok (Mathiang) and (David) Levitch are your best players in practice because they make other guys better. Mangok by far is our best frontcourt player. You may say why aren't you starting him? I want him to come off the bench because we are going to need him to finish the game. He's by far our best frontcourt player and I don't want him getting into foul trouble. We will have a tough time winning if he's not on the court offensively and defensively at the end of the game. So it's really, really important for us to keep him minutes wise. At the end, he will probably play the most minutes. But, referees will have a tendency – they are going to call it really tight this year. Every little touch is a foul because they want more scoring in the game.

I was very impressed with
Damion Lee. I just told him in the locker room, it's not the 33 points, it's the 13 rebounds and the five steals.

Jaylen Johnson has been playing terrific in practice. Tonight, he wanted to play like a small forward and he made himself look bad. Our starting power forward had 13 turnovers. One team did not turn the ball over as much, and the other team turned it over, but they gave up 97 points in the game. You can look at it two ways – a real good offense, or, defense is not that good. So, we are going to work on that obviously, and we are going to watch the film and decide on that.

This, by far, is the best freshman class I've had here at Louisville. They are all really, really talented. And probably as good as Deng is, Ray Spalding has the most upside of all of them. He's not there, yet, but has great upside. Very talented class. I was very impressed with the job
Damion Lee and Deng Adel did tonight. Very impressed with some of the things that Anas (Mahmoud) did for a while, but he's hurt. That's what he did not play much. We had to play him tonight because of numbers, but he has a bad, bad thigh bruise. It's going to be exciting because we can shoot. We can shoot free throws, which is a welcome sign. And I think we've got a lot of potential, because our young guys are going to grow, get better and better. I know you are going to get into the locker room and talk to the most important guys, the guys that are doing the work.

Reactions: Louisvillian
One of two ways to look at this. Either this team has a lot of offensive talent, or they stink on defense. I'm going to assume the truth is somewhere in the middle right now. We'll see when they square off against another D1 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT