ADVERTISEMENT

Zion a no show

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
Am I the only one that finds it odd that Zion Williamson is missing in all the big games.

And that could be a huge mistake. For both Zion and Duke.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: zipp
And that could be a huge mistake. For both Zion and Duke.

I don’t know why just because the kid is so talented we have to try and find something negative about him. He’s just a kid who loves basketball and wants to be out there to help his team. Now someone else may want to do something different but not Zion.

I don’t know why just because the kid is so talented we have to try and find something negative about him. He’s just a kid who loves basketball and wants to be out there to help his team. Now someone else may want to do something different but not Zion.

One, because if Zion has another injury it could cost him and his family dearly, And, two, the potential impact on the thought process of future recruits “being used” by Duke could be very negative. I’m still not convinced that Zion will ever play again for Duke. It could just be a ruse to force opponents to continue to prepare for Zion in the Duke lineup. Just some thoughts outside the box. Apparently one and done is coming to an end (by 2022) and then there will be no Zion’s in college basketball as they will go directly to the NBA from H.S.

It reminds me of Clowney from South Carolina and all these other players who don't play in their Bowl games. I don't blame them for protecting themselves but Zion is overkill. It obvious like all one & dones they're are just using the college they go to as a stage.
I also wonder if Zion has an agent who is consulting with him. My other question is if he is not tough enough for the rigors of college basketball is he tough enough for the NBA?

If/when the NBA changes their rule and the guys can turn pro when they want, these type of issues will be a thing of the past.

He is a gamer. I really like watching him get after it and it will be interesting to see how good he ends up being in the league.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Zion's insurance policy is between 4 to 8 million. Chump change ( yeah i know 7 figures isnt chump change everyone else) in comparison to what he could earn in salaries and endorsements.

I would think differently if he was playing in some of the big games. It just seems he is missing all the BIG games.

One, because if Zion has another injury it could cost him and his family dearly, And, two, the potential impact on the thought process of future recruits “being used” by Duke could be very negative. I’m still not convinced that Zion will ever play again for Duke. It could just be a ruse to force opponents to continue to prepare for Zion in the Duke lineup. Just some thoughts outside the box. Apparently one and done is coming to an end (by 2022) and then there will be no Zion’s in college basketball as they will go directly to the NBA from H.S.

Spot on gocds, I think we will kids starting to do this in basketball like in football. Ball out during the regular season and get your name and brand out. At any sign of injury or if your think your team doesn't have a chance at chip just shut it down and get ready for draft night. We have seen kids go all out and play their selves into lottery picks during the tourney. But we also saw Ben Simmons not even make the tournaments and become a lottery pic.

BirdieKing, I agree with you I hope Duke or any of the other ACC teams win the title. I would love to see all four FF teams be from the ACC.

100% agree with gocards. 99% of the Top 100 kids have no dream besides the NBA. Everyone knows that although many deny it.

If Zion were my kid, he wouldn't have played in as many games as he did. His stock isn't/wasn't going any higher. He can pay his way BACK to Duke someday if he still wants that degree...

Reactions: gocds
I would think differently if he was playing in some of the big games. It just seems he is missing all the BIG games.
They still got a double bye in ACC tournament and some experts still have them as a No. 1 seed. They didn’t lose anything except a rivalry game to UNC which is important but can be all wiped away if he plays and Duke wins the ACC championship.

Several more reasons why they need to let kids go pro if they want. Does away with all this crap.

Agreed, 0 or 3, however, I do think 0 or 2 fits better in basketball, but would not argue against 0 or 3 too much!

Honestly, if I were Zion, I would be missing in every game until the 2019 NBA preseason. The only thing he needs to be preparing for is workouts for NBA teams. He’s very likely to go as one of the top 3 picks and will sign a $35 million rookie contact with around $20 million guaranteed.

If he had not already injured his knee, he would of course be playing. Leading his team to the NCAA title would be the focus. But right now nothing should be more important to him than focusing on his rehab and being 100% healthy when he works out for NBA teams.

Honestly, if I were Zion, I would be missing in every game until the 2019 NBA preseason. The only thing he needs to be preparing for is workouts for NBA teams. He’s very likely to go as one of the top 3 picks and will sign a $35 million rookie contact with around $20 million guaranteed.

If he had not already injured his knee, he would of course be playing. Leading his team to the NCAA title would be the focus. But right now nothing should be more important to him than focusing on his rehab and being 100% healthy when he works out for NBA teams.
He’s covered by insurance. He could get hurt just as easy walking out his front door or working out for a tryout. Plus he still has one of the best medical staff programs there at Duke. You can’t be afraid now that you had a freak accident.

Am I the only one that finds it odd that Zion Williamson is missing in all the big games.

No offense but this is a very uninformed post. He was injured in the first UNC game and hasn't played since. I don't follow Duke's schedule but I do know he played in both the UVA games, the Gonzaga game, the UK game, the UofL game, and every game BEFORE the UNC game. Those are just the games I can think of off the top of my head.

Reactions: Art79
He’s covered by insurance. He could get hurt just as easy walking out his front door or working out for a tryout. Plus he still has one of the best medical staff programs there at Duke. You can’t be afraid now that you had a freak accident.

If he is 100% healthy (both physically and mentally), then I’d agree with what you are saying. The insurance helps (though the payoff is not anywhere near the guaranteed portion of an NBA rookie contract). But I’m actually recovering from a knee injury, and the rehabilitation is not trivial. Getting full range of motion back and performing at a high level without any pain or doubt is taking me quite a long time (5 months so far, and I’m just now geting back to where I was before surgery but after the knee injury), and all I’m trying to do is run distance races.

Only Zion really knows how that knee feels, and if he’s never been through anything like that before, the longest recovery time will be regaining the confidence in the stability of the knee. Sometimes that takes a few months after he has finished rehab, even if the knee is completely healed and he is pain-free.

Last edited:
Reactions: nccardfan

I can't say anything bad about the kid personally. By all accounts he is a good dude and a great teammate. Some NBA team will be very lucky to have him. But I don't believe for one second that his family walked away from the $200k cash/house for his parents/job for his parents that were offered to him to go to Kansas. He switched to Duke for a better offer. This is my opinion, that I believe will be later supported when more facts come to light.

I dont know either way, but looking back to last year and knowing this kid is going to be worth several hundred million in a year would lend me to think, who cares what any college is offering. I'm not a big fan of Duke, I do cheer for them when they play sUcK, but don't think CMK has to be shady. Honestly, hate to say it, same with chunky down the street.

I dont know either way, but looking back to last year and knowing this kid is going to be worth several hundred million in a year would lend me to think, who cares what any college is offering. I'm not a big fan of Duke, I do cheer for them when they play sUcK, but don't think CMK has to be shady. Honestly, hate to say it, same with chunky down the street.

When I was 17 years old, $1,000 would have felt like winning the lottery. If his parents were being offered housing and jobs that they apparently were willing to up and move for, my inference is that $200k is life-changing money for them, and right in front of them. And they walked away from it for Zion to play at Duke. And this was in the era where cheating was rampant and assumed part of the game. Again, all my opinion.

Just happy he didn’t get injured. Hope he can do the rest of the season without injury.

Just happy he didn’t get injured. Hope he can do the rest of the season without injury.

Shit you can say that for every player in every sport... Just like the commercial, everyone has a future whether it’s sports or something else. You almost sound like you wish he get hurt so you can say “I told you so”

Chunky down the street - good one; love it.

As for Zion, he's a rare talent who seems to really enjoy playing. Only he and his parents can make the right decision for him.

Maybe that’s the best decision to consider professionally but as a fan I’m glad he decided to play. What he did in the ACC tournament was amazing and so fun to watch. He has so much energy and to play almost every minute at the level in 3 straight games after sitting out 5 or 6? Also his post game interview, “I was just in high school a year ago” is eye opening. Glad I got to see him play in college and makes me wonder what Lebron might have been. I like the kid.

It would have been interesting to see the kid against Virginia, but he pretty well blew up this thread, didn't he?

He's rolling the dice every time he steps on the court.

Would you go mountain climbing with a million-dollar lottery ticket in your pocket? Makes about the same sense...

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Zion blowing out that shoe will reap him about twice the shoe contract he would have got before it happened. And, Nike will never let him sign with another company. He'll get 2-4 times what any player has ever received for an initial shoe deal. Playing college basketball just made him a ton of money more than he would have made any other way.

He's rolling the dice every time he steps on the court.

Would you go mountain climbing with a million-dollar lottery ticket in your pocket? Makes about the same sense...
Hell million dollar lottery ticket? That’s chump change compared to what he’ll earn...

Gotta put these stakes in the context of the common man.

Even if Zion had a serious injury, someone would give him a good contract. But it's a serious risk in terms of his career potential...

Gotta put these stakes in the context of the common man.

Even if Zion had a serious injury, someone would give him a good contract. But it's a serious risk in terms of his career potential...

Its a risk for any potential first or second rounder. Zion isn’t the only one with a contract at risk. So you complete what you committed to do.

He loves to play basketball and is obviously, a competitor. Understand the financial comparisons, but its a treat to watch a kid like this play. He is a generational type of talent. Next time someone with crazy talent comes around, the rule will be changed and they're off to the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT