ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Ligget pitching today. Trouble with the breaking ball already.

XAVIER 1-0 Bases loaded

Going to be a long, long, year. Our "Ace" is getting pounded, looking sloppy defensively, and we've got seniors making t-ball mistakes on the basepaths. Hopefully the younger guys who are highly touted step up and gain valuable experience this season. I'm not overly impressed with almost any of the upperclassmen who returned from last year aside from a few guys (I think EKJ can be a really good). Fingers crossed that I'm wrong, but I don't think we've got the thump in our lineup to hang around teams with our pitching being what it is

Going to be a long, long, year. Our "Ace" is getting pounded, looking sloppy defensively, and we've got seniors making t-ball mistakes on the basepaths. Hopefully the younger guys who are highly touted step up and gain valuable experience this season. I'm not overly impressed with almost any of the upperclassmen who returned from last year aside from a few guys (I think EKJ can be a really good). Fingers crossed that I'm wrong, but I don't think we've got the thump in our lineup to hang around teams with our pitching being what it is
We're 3 games in... Baseball is a long season.

We're 3 games in... Baseball is a long season.
And? Unless some of our freshman pitchers are capable out of the pen, we simply don't have the pitching in any capacity to be a good team. We've been fortunate to have some really good teams so we know what they do and do not look like; it's obvious when pitchers have "it" and when they don't.

Back to back K's looking on flat, low 90s fastballs with a RISP from your 3 and 4 hitters. Not ideal

Leaving ducks on the pond is a killer. Bottom 4 with bases loaded and you come up empty. I will say…that has been a trend over the last few seasons…early in the season. And - it cost them games.

Mccoy is not a 3 hole hitter. But certainly more concerned with pitching thus far than hitting. Pitching is supposed to be ahead early and it seems clear we don't have it. Seems like a serious lack of development amongst the staff over the past few seasons.

Moore was safe at second. Let’s see what the call is.
Edit. Meh, different angle looks like he was probably out. Oh well.

They have a problem with their approach at the plate. They are constantly guessing and guessing wrong. Synder is awful.

Reactions: rh62531
Mccoy is not a 3 hole hitter. But certainly more concerned with pitching thus far than hitting. Pitching is supposed to be ahead early and it seems clear we don't have it. Seems like a serious lack of development amongst the staff over the past few seasons.
If this game ends up the way it looks,it's time to shake it up and sit a few guys,pitchers too and let the youngsters play against some of the weaker competition coming up.

If this game ends up the way it looks,it's time to shake it up and sit a few guys,pitchers too and let the youngsters play against some of the weaker competition coming up.
They won't do that. They will need to get these veteran players their confidence back. We are off to a slow start but will have this 18 game home stretch to get things going. If we start to lose 2 out of 3 in some of these series then I'll start to panick.

I blame Kenny Payne!!!!

They won't do that. They will need to get these veteran players their confidence back. We are off to a slow start but will have this 18 game home stretch to get things going. If we start to lose 2 out of 3 in some of these series then I'll start to panick.
They've had ample opportunity imo to get what's left of their confidence back.
I mean this goes back into last season. We'll undoubtedly feast on some of the weaker teams coming up but it at least is questionable whether it helps the vets

Btw, this frigging home plate umpire is blind in one eye and cannot see out of the other.
Good Lord he's 👎

Problem today - Xavier is 0-3. Not a good look. Even though they did play in the tourney last year - fact is they were 0-3 coming into this game. Looks like a sweep is needed this weekend or then many questions are going to come up.

Reactions: earsky
Problem today - Xavier is 0-3. Not a good look. Even though they did play in the tourney last year - fact is they were 0-3 coming into this game. Looks like a sweep is needed this weekend or then many questions are going to come up.
I've already got some buddy 😅
The body language of a few easy to read.

It is early we will see but there aren’t any major league players in the upper class. Last year wasn’t much different. This may be a talent issue. I said it another thread I think Dan has been too loyal to his assistants. The decline has been steady.

15 hits and 9 walks is not a good sign for Cards pitching.
Being 3 for 15 with runners on base, and 0 for 7 with two outs!!!
Bases loaded twice without scoring.
Team needs a major shakeup.

Reactions: earsky
I don't know.

We do really damn well when we have to go out and find a new coach--and one doesn't just fall in our lap...

Yea, don’t think that is a realistic option nor is it a smart option.
He’s been mediocre the last 3 years. I’ve seen enough. The game has passed him by. He’s effectively Calipari without a championship. And he doesn’t have Cal’s contract.

Reactions: Deeva
I am not there yet. Staying at the top is really hard. Of all the sports I thought baseball would be the toughest to maintain. It takes elite arms in this league. They had them then something changed then last 3 years. No MLB arms. That is bad evaluation or poor recruiting. Williams can coach but maybe his recruiting isn’t as aggressive. Bottom line there is no way to survive this league with average arms.

Hitting is a mess. Synder isn’t good but talent isn’t great either. Again poor evaluation or recruiting. I don’t think Synder is good enough for Louisville.

Look you have to have dudes and coaches have to find them. They have made a bunch of mistakes in recruiting the last 3 years. Coached are only as good as their players.

If anything he needs to be more engaged in the portal. Baseball is the easiest game for talent to fit immediately.

Sad to see. Strange, but I think we all saw this coming last year, but I was hoping that it was just a result of unusual number of injuries.

Hate to add Card Baseball to my unwillingness to watch Card Basketball ……. That is the way I deal with unacceptable performance with disappointment.

I am not there yet. Staying at the top is really hard. Of all the sports I thought baseball would be the toughest to maintain. It takes elite arms in this league. They had them then something changed then last 3 years. No MLB arms. That is bad evaluation or poor recruiting. Williams can coach but maybe his recruiting isn’t as aggressive. Bottom line there is no way to survive this league with average arms.

Hitting is a mess. Synder isn’t good but talent isn’t great either. Again poor evaluation or recruiting. I don’t think Synder is good enough for Louisville.

Look you have to have dudes and coaches have to find them. They have made a bunch of mistakes in recruiting the last 3 years. Coached are only as good as their players.

If anything he needs to be more engaged in the portal. Baseball is the easiest game for talent to fit immediately.
That's basically where I'm at. It doesn't matter if it's early or not, we know what potential major league players look like. We also know what good teams look like, and it's pretty evident to anybody with eyes that we're not one.

Hitting is absolutely streaky, but it's wild to me how bad the arms look. We don't have guys throwing 95-100 mph walking hitters, we have guys throwing 85-90 with little to no movement on any of their pitches, which makes it even worse to me.

There's nothing more frustrating in baseball than striking out looking and we did it 4 times yesterday with RISP. If hitters aren't going to take the bat off of their shoulder and give themselves a chance, plug in somebody who will.

Reactions: rh62531 and earsky
There's nothing more frustrating in baseball than striking out looking and we did it 4 times yesterday with RISP. If hitters aren't going to take the bat off of their shoulder and give themselves a chance, plug in somebody who will.
The backwards Ks are really hard to take,getting picked off third totally unacceptable by a 4th year guy.
That was our 3 and 4 hole hitters looking at strike 3. Smdh

They are 0-3 because they went down to Clemson, which is a very difficult place to play. No disgrace there.

From experience I know pretty much what guys are thinking. The thinking part is what messes up hitters. They are guessing when they go down looking. They are guessing when they look at a 2-0 fastball right down the middle. It is that simple.

At this level the scouting isn’t good enough to know all the pitcher’s or coaches tendencies. They need to stop trying to out think the opponent. The simplest approach is to look fastball adjust to offspeed. That is easier said than done but when you look off speed good luck on a fastball. Zero luck if the guy is throwing in the 90’s.

Play the guessing game while watching you will get tied in a knot. Pro’s can play that game because their guess is at least an educated on. College kids it is 100 percent guess. The best hitters are most consistent on keeping it simple…..see ball hit ball. Pete Rose said always look fastball. Now they also studied pitchers and knew what to look for. College kids don’t get to see the same guys multiple times a year. I am pretty sure they are all taught by Dan to look fastball so why they are all guessing is interesting.

The tale of two teams yesterday. One hunting fastballs,the other guessing. This approach looks very familiar. I don't want to take anything away from their pitchers who were locating well,but...yeah

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT