ADVERTISEMENT

What Do You Think Of The Proposed NCAA Rule Changes?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Some of those include:

*The rules committee has suggested that the shot clock be lessened from 35 seconds to 30 seconds.

*Also, the amount of timeouts could go from five to four along with a few additional timeout-related changes geared toward speeding up the pace of play.

*Committee proposes rules with goal of reducing physicality in the sport.

*Per Adam Rowe of 247Sports, it has already been determined that men's college basketball will experiment with allowing six fouls per player rather than five during the 2016 postseason.

*Hanging on rim technical reduced to 1 shot; elimination of 5-second closely guarded; allow pregame warmup dunking.

Yay or nay? What do you guys think?

I love the direction they're heading with the rules changes. I think they need to implement a defensive 3 in the key rule, but maybe we'll get there in a couple years.

Reactions: Cue Card
My fav rule change is that the 10 sec clock will Not be reset if the team trying to get the ball across midcourt calls timeout. Re-setting the clock penalized the defense for......playing great defense.... imo

Reactions: pervisl
My fav rule change is that the 10 sec clock will Not be reset if the team trying to get the ball across midcourt calls timeout. Re-setting the clock penalized the defense for......playing great defense.... imo

Yeah I would like that one too, especially for CRP's pressing style. Puts more pressure on them to get the ball across which could cause them more turnovers. I like the 30 second shot clock as well.

the pre-game dunking has always been something i didn't understand how or why they would call a tech. Glad to see they may change it.
I believe the pregame dunking ban came about because of several instances where the rims were damaged causing a delay of the start of the game. It seems like that was many years ago.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I believe the pregame dunking ban came about because of several instances where the rims were damaged causing a delay of the start of the game. It seems like that was many years ago.
Yeah, I believe that was before the breakaway rims.

I'm in agreement with Cardiotonic. I like all the rule changes sans the defensive 5 second rule. If a team is playing that well defensively, then they deserve to be rewarded for it.

Like J, I too would like to see a defensive 3 second rule. Right now a dominate big man can just camp out in the lane and not move. It's an unfair advantage for the defense.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Don't like ditching the 5 second closely guarded. I'm in for reducing physicality but that really kills guys who are good defensively.

Some of those include:

*The rules committee has suggested that the shot clock be lessened from 35 seconds to 30 seconds.

*Also, the amount of timeouts could go from five to four along with a few additional timeout-related changes geared toward speeding up the pace of play.

*Committee proposes rules with goal of reducing physicality in the sport.

*Per Adam Rowe of 247Sports, it has already been determined that men's college basketball will experiment with allowing six fouls per player rather than five during the 2016 postseason.

*Hanging on rim technical reduced to 1 shot; elimination of 5-second closely guarded; allow pregame warmup dunking.

Yay or nay? What do you guys think?
Shortening the shot clock means more rushed shots. It may play into our favor given CRP's style of defense.

OTOH It's five fewer seconds that Shaqquan Aaron, et al will have to play defense per possession.

If they are shortening the shot clock and removing the timeout reset of the 10 second violation clock, I don't mind seeing the 5 second closely guarded penalty go away. It isn't called all that frequently and it allows the refs to more closely watch the action during sped up play versus also having to worry about counting over and over.

If they are shortening the shot clock and removing the timeout reset of the 10 second violation clock, I don't mind seeing the 5 second closely guarded penalty go away. It isn't called all that frequently and it allows the refs to more closely watch the action during sped up play versus also having to worry about counting over and over.
Very good point.

Good point. For everything a ref has to watch for, the defensive 5 seconds is probably the lowest priority. It's a hazy rule to begin with, so I'm pretty indifferent to see it go.

Something that really stands out to me is the reduction of timeouts, but more specifically the combination of called timeouts and TV timeouts within 30 seconds of the break. This means less commercials and less advertising dollars. I'm very pleasantly surprised by the initiative shown here by the NCAA.

Something that really stands out to me is the reduction of timeouts, but more specifically the combination of called timeouts and TV timeouts within 30 seconds of the break. This means less commercials and less advertising dollars. I'm very pleasantly surprised by the initiative shown here by the NCAA.

Yeah, I mean how many times do fans miss the start of their game because the game prior runs over 15-30 minutes? It's ridiculous. Since the TV stations seem incapable of making start times staggerred hopefully a reduction in time-outs and shot clock drop will increase game flow and speed up the game.

Yeah, I mean how many times do fans miss the start of their game because the game prior runs over 15-30 minutes? It's ridiculous. Since the TV stations seem incapable of making start times staggerred hopefully a reduction in time-outs and shot clock drop will increase game flow and speed up the game.
I agree, but it's not as bad as it once was especially when a game is on ESPN. If the game in front goes too long, they'll start the game on one of their other networks (ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN news) so you don't miss any game action. It's still a pain in reference to recordings though. You can't really plan ahead because you don't know if you'll catch all of the broadcast with the channel shuffles.

Here's what Pitino thinks about the shortened shot clock:

Pitino said proposed NCAA rule changes, primarily the 30-second shot clock and changes to the backcourt violation, only will help his team.

“It's only going to make good defensive teams better,” he said. “Let's take Virginia — if you only have 30 seconds instead of 35 to get a shot against their defense, it's totally going to help their defense. Same way with us. We're a pressing team. Only 8 seconds to get across halfcourt and having less time on the clock to run their offense will only make our defense stronger. Offensively it's never bothered us. We play with a 28-second shot clock in practice. So that's only going to help us. It'll help the game, make it more exciting. Even if it's only three or four more possessions per game, at least perception-wise it'll calm Jay Bilas down and get him to like college basketball again.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT