ADVERTISEMENT

Taking a closer look at NCAA Basketball rule changes

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
The NCAA announced on Monday several rules changes designed to increase the pace of play and improve the overall product on the court.

• The shot clock has been shortened from 35 seconds to 30 seconds.

• The panel also approved the expansion of the restricted-area arc from 3 feet to 4 feet. This arc would be effective in 2015-16 for Division I and 2016-17 for Divisions II and III. Moving the arc a foot farther from the basket is part of a continued focus on reducing the number of collisions at the basket.

• Adjusting the media timeout procedures to allow a timeout called within 30 seconds of a break (at the 16:30 mark) or at any time after the scheduled media timeout becomes the media timeout.

Removing the ability for a coach to call timeout when the ball is live.

Allowing a total of only 10 seconds to advance the ball to the front court (with a few exceptions).

Reducing the amount of time allotted to replace a disqualified player from 20 to 15 seconds.

• Allowing officials to use the monitor to review a potential shot clock violation on made field goals throughout the entire game.

Making Class B technical fouls (hanging on the rim and delaying the resumption of play, for example) one-shot technical fouls. Previously, two shots were granted for these types of technical fouls.

Eliminating the five-second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball.

• Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups and at halftime.

• During the use of a video review to see if a possible flagrant foul occurred, the panel approved a rule that would allow officials to penalize players who fake fouls.

The panel also approved an experimental rule to allow players six personal fouls, instead of five, in the 2016 postseason tournaments other than the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.

Reactions: pervisl
I could think of some other tweaks they could try.

1. Reducing 10 seconds to 8 seconds to get the ball across the half court line.

2. Have the option to advance the ball to half court in the last 2 minutes of each half if you call a time out.

3. Eliminate the alternate possession rule and bring back the jump ball on a jump ball.

That's just 3 off the top of my head.

"Allowing officials to use the monitor to review a potential shot clock violation on made field goals throughout the entire game"

I get that it's important to "get it right" but the more instant replay, the longer games will get. And more delays in the action. These are not desirable outcomes for a sport that is trying to stay relevant in the shadow of big time college football.

"Allowing officials to use the monitor to review a potential shot clock violation on made field goals throughout the entire game"

I get that it's important to "get it right" but the more instant replay, the longer games will get. And more delays in the action. These are not desirable outcomes for a sport that is trying to stay relevant in the shadow of big time college football.
Thanks for the summary. Other than the elimination of the closely guarded rule all seems helpful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT