ADVERTISEMENT

What’s More Likely

MDCardsFan

500+
Sep 21, 2015
Those of us who’ve seen Rich Eisen show, he does a segment called what’s more likely. I thought that I would do it with the upcoming season.

I’ll give 3 options (instead of 2)

Beating @ Notre Dame
Beating @ Clemson
Making it back and winning the ACC Championship Game and make the Playoffs.

The single most likely is winning at Clemson in no small part because we can pack a few more things on our trip than we could in the past the most important of which is a running game behind an apparently pretty good offensive line coupled with a quality defense; I think we'll be very good against the run this year and we have a veteran back seven behind it. We had golden opportunities in back-to-back years that were stunted by Cunningham going down midgame. I think we're a little more capable of overcoming that from the QB slot this year. An upright and healthy Shough would help.

It doesn't hurt us that their RB situation isn't what I'd consider Clemsonesque; I'm thinking a lower scoring game.

Last edited:
Is none of the above a choice?

JK. Beating ND is my pick. Not sold on Freeman's coaching yet.

it will be much harder to make it to the ACC Ship game this year. Just don't see it hoping I am wrong and would be greatly surprised if Cards did it.

Reactions: 2330859
^^^ There is a reason its called Death Valley .......... beating Clemson there remains an huge challenge. Give me till the Fall, as I expect some late arrivals may fill in a few critical positions of need; if that happens, I would feel more confident answering.

If we don’t make the ACC Championship game, I’ll still be pretty confident that we’ll make the playoffs because I honestly think that we’ll go 10-2 (my own opinion) and the fact that there’s more teams in the playoffs this year helps my case, though I know it’s not a guarantee.

Top most likely.

1. Beating Clemson. Almost every metric points to a Cards win. Clemson is not the same powerhouse they were during that stretch and Louisville is way overdue getting that first win.

2. Beating ND. I agree I'm not sure about Coach Freeman and the Cards have had success against the Irish the past few games.

Both of these are tough road games, so losing at the end wouldn't be surprising.

3. Making the ACC championship is going to take some good fortune like last season. Winning it will take a massive effort and the Cards only real chance to make the playoff.

All this could change once we see the teams on the field. If Brohm gets the QB he seeks with Shough, I think Louisville could do all of these things. We saw just how close we got with an obvious weak link at QB with Plummer.

I believe we'll beat Clemson this year. I'm driving up for the game and the Cards have not lost a regular season game which I've attended in 6+ seasons. I was present for the Georgia Tech and ND games in 2023 so I credit myself with those victories. lol.

If Sam Hartmann was quarterbacking ND, I'd like our chances. Sadly, he finally ran out of eligibility and South Bend is a tough road game.

Barring injuries, I believe the Cards will win at least 9 games in 2024.

If we don’t make the ACC Championship game, I’ll still be pretty confident that we’ll make the playoffs because I honestly think that we’ll go 10-2 (my own opinion) and the fact that there’s more teams in the playoffs this year helps my case, though I know it’s not a guarantee.
If we got 10-2 and don’t make the ACC title game, that puts us in a bad spot because there aren’t enough big wins on our schedule or it’ll mean we have a bad loss.

We were 10-2 going into the ACC title game and were #14. It’s not going to be the same this year the way they rank. With the new Big Ten and SEC, you’ll see them give more credit to 9-3 teams from those leagues than you usually see.

We have to get an ACC title game win with that type of record. They aren’t going to let the ACC be a multi-bid league unless it’s a FSU type of team that’s the at-large bid.

I believe we will beat ND and play Clemson very close. Than beat Clemson in the ACC championship.
Off to the playoffs we go
200.gif

Reactions: Deeva
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT