ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech

Again,a different philosophy by VA Tech with throwing a lot of fastballs with great location. Totally different than most of the year trying to hit off speed stuff.

Rather piss poor AB’s to end the game. And don’t get me started on Seng tagging up from first.
He beat the tag but slid off the bag. It was risky but he's the tying run so they played it like a sacrifice. It took a good throw which unfortunately it was.

I don't mind that too much but the continued swinging at first pitch balls drives me crazy, especially with runners on base.

He beat the tag but slid off the bag. It was risky but he's the tying run so they played it like a sacrifice. It took a good throw which unfortunately it was.

I don't mind that too much but the continued swinging at first pitch balls drives me crazy, especially with runners on base.
I’ll give Seng credit for attempting to make a play, but it was a fly ball to medium center field. Just a horrible decision to attempt to tag up and advance to second(!!) on that play.

Attempting to tag up and score from third on that fly ball - yes, all day long. Advancing from 2nd to 3rd - maybe, if the ball is hit to right center field, and you know the center fielder has a weak arm. Otherwise, save the out and let your next hitter have the opportunity to bat you into scoring position.

Surprised by the decision to PH the big freshman with 2 outs and the tying run on base.

Still, a few of our hitters are swinging at pitches that are clearly low and way outside. A “Swing and a Miss” is understandable, but when you see guys reaching out on pitches a foot off the corner of the plate, it sure suggests lack of focus. Levi has shown great improvement in his hitting over the course of the season, but he too got caught up in the ninth inning chasing a third strike, on a pitch that was not only low and outside …… it bounced into the catcher’s mitt.

Yes,I believe our guys need to take the hitting to a more advanced stage. Kudos to the Tech pitching coach for using the scouting reports to keep this offense off balance.
It's become a bit of a chess match and the next move is ours.

Surprised by the decision to PH the big freshman with 2 outs and the tying run on base.

Still, a few of our hitters are swinging at pitches that are clearly low and way outside. A “Swing and a Miss” is understandable, but when you see guys reaching out on pitches a foot off the corner of the plate, it sure suggests lack of focus. Levi has shown great improvement in his hitting over the course of the season, but he too got caught up in the ninth inning chasing a third strike, on a pitch that was not only low and outside …… it bounced into the catcher’s mitt.
Wescott came in as a result of a double whammy. When Bianco singled and got on base, we pinched ran Seng for Bianco. Wescott was actually batting for Seng.

I have always preferred to see Payton batting in front of Zing. He does not present a legitimate home run threat so pitching around Zing to get to Payton not an option today.
Next move is Tech's....
Had to think Smith might get a chance to help this team win. Today is the day.

I have always preferred to see Payton batting in front of Zing. He does not present a legitimate home run threat so pitching around Zing to get to Payton not an option today.
Next move is Tech's....
Had to think Smith might get a chance to help this team win. Today is the day.
Sort of the new theory and analytics of baseball now is to let your best hitter percentage wise to bat 1st. The stats show that your leadoff will consistently end up with the most chances/opportunities, so why not give your best hitter the chance. Baseball is changing..

What has happened to Masterman? Everyone in both dugouts knew he was going to get breaking pitches in the dirt and he still swings. Just a total waste of an at bat. Rushing showed what a good at bat is against the lefty.

Masterman has no business batting clean-up. Just don't understand McDonnell lineups.

I'm watching these VTech hitters when they square to bunt and it's easy to see why they get plunked...or nearly plunked the way they straddle home plate.
Lol,there's a couple fans starting their drinking early today.

Reactions: Steelers2012
We give up so many seeing eye singles this season it's unreal. Those drunk idiots in the stands are starting to annoy me big time.

Reactions: earsky
Don't like the whiny ass VT manager. He expects every call to go his way. I'm sure other fans have felt the same about McDonnell in the past.

This series has been a typical road performance from the hitting standpoint. Our guys minus a couple, are not having disciplined at bats. Swinging far too much at balls and taking strikes in the middle of the plate.

I believe this team is just two top end starting pitchers and two top end hitters away from being a world series contender.

Jared Poland cannot do it by himself and the lineup needs upgrading at 1B and LF. Both Masterman and Bianco have their home runs, but it's mostly been on mistake pitches. Neither work the count or go the other way with runners on. They swing for the fences.

I think Rushing and Payton are the Cards best hitters, followed by Humphrey, Metzinger and Beard.

Reactions: gocds
What happened to Christian? I didn’t see what happened.

Anyone else annoyed with the fan who is heckling all our guys?

What happened to Christian? I didn’t see what happened.

Anyone else annoyed with the fan who is heckling all our guys?
Knap injured his ankle last Tuesday and I wish someone would confront that idiot yelling at our players. Good thing I'm not there or I would get into trouble.

Knap injured his ankle last Tuesday and I wish someone would confront that idiot yelling at our players. Good thing I'm not there or I would get into trouble.
Hey, it’s what you get in college baseball. I sit on our first base side at Patterson. There are about 4-5 students? who constantly yell, talk, distract the other teams first basemen. It happens. I think our fans are better sports than most but every team has bad fans.

Reactions: gocds
Hey, it’s what you get in college baseball. I sit on our first base side at Patterson. There are about 4-5 students? who constantly yell, talk, distract the other teams first basemen. It happens. I think our fans are better sports than most but every team has bad fans.
Yeah,unfortunately it's become common. We have our share. They were so audible because they were sitting in the stands behind home.
Can't stand any of them.

Reactions: nccardfan
Yeah,unfortunately it's become common. We have our share. They were so audible because they were sitting in the stands behind home.
Can't stand any of them.
I know but you can’t let it be an excuse for why we lose…. It’s like the Cameron crazies at Duke.

Mac giving the freshmen playing time, I get it. They need the experience on the big stage. It doesn’t quite help us now, but good for them for next year. It kind of tells me Mac winning the series was not his ultimate goal. We close the regular season with 4 home games, so I guess I get his approach. Can’t say I love any of it. Va Tech seemed pretty damn arrogant from tv booth to dug out to the stands. Don’t like losing to blowhards who haven’t earned anything in almost a decade.

Reactions: Deeva and earsky
No, we lost because only a few players can hit with runners in scoring position. At least on the road that is.

Dalton Rushing is becoming the best hitter on this team.

No, we lost because only a few players can hit with runners in scoring position. At least on the road that is.

Dalton Rushing is becoming the best hitter on this team.
Why don’t you give credit to opposing pitchers and good scouting reports. VT is legit and we were a couple of plays from winning all 3. Our pitchers battled all day.

Reactions: gocds and Deeva
To clarify,the conversation about everything not between the lines has nothing to do with the Cards dropping two to these guys.
Our hitters were a bit off balance all weekend due to their pitchers throwing pitches that went contrary to what they've been seeing. Just a really good job by their pitching coach and their pitchers.
All the other stuff,including things that were going on inside the lines could stop and I'd be tickled,but they're probably not gonna. It's something trickling in from AAU ball and I think most of it is making a travesty of the game.
The veterans on this team will have to lead this team to the next level.

Why don’t you give credit to opposing pitchers and good scouting reports. VT is legit and we were a couple of plays from winning all 3. Our pitchers battled all day.
VT has a very good team and they were hungry for the series win. They wanted it more than the Cards. VT hasn't ever reached the super regional and those guys were ready to prove those days are over.

The Cards however are not only wounded, the lineup is being experimented with Knap out. I think the pitching for the most part is improving. Kuehner and Loman are looking better and better. Hopefully, Prosecky returns to form.

Cards fare much better at home with the bats. If they continue to get good pitching, they should win the series against Virginia.

It may take how we fare in the ACC tournament that determines the Cards a national seed.

Reactions: nccardfan
Va Tech seemed pretty damn arrogant from tv booth to dug out to the stands. Don’t like losing to blowhards who haven’t earned anything in almost a decade.
Could set the stage for a possible rematch with VTech in the ACC.
We get past this weekend and get to zero in on getting even.😊

Could set the stage for a possible rematch with VTech in the ACC.
We get past this weekend and get to zero in on getting even.😊
We need to secure one of the four seeded pool play brackets. Need to take care of business against Virginia and hope Miami sweeps or wins 2 out 3 against ND. VT is facing a struggling Duke team.

Anyone know what the prognosis is for Riley Phillips?

I agree Knap being out has a ripple effect in the lineup that puts others in positions they are less comfortable with. I honestly think Metzinger has played a better SS than Knap in the limited exposure. Anderson has been solid at 3B. Possible that you could see Knap leading off at DH as he comes back from injury and give Bianco a game or 2 of rest.

Anyone know what the prognosis is for Riley Phillips?

I agree Knap being out has a ripple effect in the lineup that puts others in positions they are less comfortable with. I honestly think Metzinger has played a better SS than Knap in the limited exposure. Anderson has been solid at 3B. Possible that you could see Knap leading off at DH as he comes back from injury and give Bianco a game or 2 of rest.
I think Knap will be in the lineup Friday night at ss. Just a hunch on this type ankle injury time table. I think there's a chance we could see somebody play in Bonco's spot. Hell, I think there's a few spots could be open,but I expect to see Bonco and Cam in the lineup for post season play. We might even see Knap tomorrow if he's 100.
I just think these vets will be the guys that have to lead in their last hurrahs if this team is to have a legitimate shot at any big hardware. Btw,I would consider crashing Omaha as big hardware.

Putting Knap at DH is not a long term solution because of the Rushing/Payton situation and I do agree with an assessment I heard that Bianco is probably the best 9th hole hitter in the country.

I may be mistaken, but at some point late this season, Knap was either first or second in all of college baseball in terms of scoring runs. Someone correct me on the facts. If so, it is remarkable that we have been able to remain where we are without his presence in the lineup.

I may be mistaken, but at some point late this season, Knap was either first or second in all of college baseball in terms of scoring runs. Someone correct me on the facts. If so, it is remarkable that we have been able to remain where we are without his presence in the lineup.
Yes,he was leading the country in runs scored. After a little bit of thought,I believe the move Sunday was a transition back to our regular lineup,which would be Zing at 3rd. The rest will be coming soon.

For what it’s worth, Beard (10) has made 1 more error than Knap (9). Also I believe Justin Lavey had 13 errors a couple of years ago. It’s not like Knap is a turnover machine.

Reactions: earsky
For what it’s worth, Beard (10) has made 1 more error than Knap (9). Also I believe Justin Lavey had 13 errors a couple of years ago. It’s not like Knap is a turnover machine.
It's not just about errors. He doesn't have a strong arm that's a must at shortstop. He has improved throughout the season from where he was early, but he will never play SS at the next level.

He has a much better future at 2nd base and if he was a MLB prospect, McDonnell would make that change next season. Remember when Alex Binelas was moved to 1st base from 3B?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT