ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Hardly a do-or-die weekend series with the Hokies this weekend,but certainly a chance to move towards getting one of those top 8 seeds to host a Super should we get that far.
Tech ranked about 5 spots ahead of the Cards in RPI,so the opportunity is certainly right in front of the Cards to move into that position of being a Top 8 seed.
Let's go Cards!

It will certainly be interesting how well the Cards perform at Virginia Tech. They haven't played their best on the road, especially the lineup. The pitching actually has been better on the road but for some reason, hitting and running the bases not so much.

Cards also have performed better against the better competition, despite them being swept by FSU. The focus and determination has been more prevalent against the stronger teams.

VT has not been considered one of those strong programs in the recent past and they're very similar to Wake Forest. Taking on a conference juggernaut like Louisville and showing the Cards they have arrived will be motivation enough but at the same time, that comes with added pressure knowing Louisville is capable of bringing them back down to reality.

Cards need to win game one with Poland on the mound. If they don't, VT will smell the sweep and gain confidence.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
I think we can safely rule out a UofL sweep here. Va Tech is 23-4 at home. A series win may be a big ask, as well. We'll see. Game 1 should tell us a lot. I know national seeding is on the line, a bump in RPI, as well. I just hope the Cards don't play with that kind of pressure on their shoulders. It might be the opposite. Va Tech hasn't played in the post season since 2013. They might be the ones feeling the pressure to maintain a high seed.

Reactions: Guardman
Great at bat by Payton. Never hurts to work this guy's count.
Let's see if Poland gets the big outside corner.

Don't get Usher batting clean-up. Seems Rushing should be and Usher batting 2nd. But I've been perplexed by McDonnell all season.

2-0 fastballs are not what is gonna beat these guys. JP has to get ahead or it'll be a long day.....

Looks like another home plate umpire who guesses balls and strikes. That called strike against Bianco was horrible.

Usher starting to make these plays look routine.
I agree about the strike on Bianco,but it was close and I think you need to battle that pitch. Jmo

Poland doesn't appear to have his good stuff today. His fastball is very hitable. But he's a warrior.

Another close pitch with 2 strikes that Zing looks at. To me,it's the difference between being a good offensive team and a better one. That's 3 backward Ks.

Looks like another home plate umpire who guesses balls and strikes. That called strike against Bianco was horrible.
Really hard to overcome the glaring bias I just saw on that strike by Poland that was called a strike just last inning against Cam.

It's gonna take monumental grit to get this done today. Cards up against what seems like the whole friggin league this weekend.

Cards are the worst replay team in baseball. Those last two calls at first were the same thing, yet they overturned the call that hurts the Cards.

It's at the point now that every bang bang play on the bases are going to go against Louisville. It's unreal how bad UofL sports is treated in the ACC. I would be thrilled to leave the conference for the Big 10 or the SEC, even though I'm sure we would get the same treatment.

What Mac was alluding to in that interview was his belief that both plays were ties,which go to the Cards.

It looks like our guys are expecting off speed stuff with 2 strikes and they're not getting it. Mostly outside located fastballs. Five backward Ks.

I hate to keep harping on it,but if our guys can have good at bats early in the game,our chances go up late.
They don't have to necessarily chase them off,just run up that pitch count so we can get into the Pen. Happened again today. Green was really good but he hit that count because of those early at bats by the Cards.

Rushing on fire.
Think it’s because they usually use the local teams radio crew as the announcers. It is what it is, you can definitely tell Jody is a bit of a homer on our broadcasts and I don’t mind it. Doesn’t bother me as long as we’re winning I guess lol
I'm sure Jody has had his moments,but it's more of a theme with these guys. That's what irritates me so much...the theme. Oh well,like I said,I'll just keep muting.

Think it’s because they usually use the local teams radio crew as the announcers. It is what it is, you can definitely tell Jody is a bit of a homer on our broadcasts and I don’t mind it. Doesn’t bother me as long as we’re winning I guess lol
No, I know how it works. Some crews are better than others. And I can handle homers. It’s the passive aggressive BS they try to pass off when acting like they are impartial. Phonies.

I wonder if McDonnell will go back to the old lineup when Knap is back? I've had several lineups I would like to see but going into post season play, this is the lineup I would like to see.

1. Knap
2. Payton
3. Usher
4. Rushing
5. Metzinger
6. Humphrey
7. Masterman
8. Beard
9. Bianco

Cards are the worst replay team in baseball. Those last two calls at first were the same thing, yet they overturned the call that hurts the Cards.

It's at the point now that every bang bang play on the bases are going to go against Louisville. It's unreal how bad UofL sports is treated in the ACC. I would be thrilled to leave the conference for the Big 10 or the SEC, even though I'm sure we would get the same treatment.
Damn, do you watch the replays. They made the right calls. That’s what video replay is for as long as it doesn’t take forever.

I wonder if McDonnell will go back to the old lineup when Knap is back? I've had several lineups I would like to see but going into post season play, this is the lineup I would like to see.

1. Knap
2. Payton
3. Usher
4. Rushing
5. Metzinger
6. Humphrey
7. Masterman
8. Beard
9. Bianco
Weren’t you the guy adamant about Usher in the leadoff? Now you want him in the three hole where he will see more off speed and breaking balls which is his kryptonite. I’ll stick with Coach Mac’s lineup.

Reactions: CardX
Tate looks like a new man.
We aren’t losing much from our pitching staff after this year so to see them really come on like they have lately with all the experience they’ve gotten is really exciting. Props to Tate as well, there are plenty of guys that would mail it in after being moved from the Friday night guy to the pen but seems like all he’s done is get better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT