ADVERTISEMENT

UofL vs. Vandy

Friedas_Boss

Five-Star Poster
Sep 17, 2003
Battle for the Barrel, Omaha style.

It is annoying how much we get paired against y'all. For years, it was proximity, now it's just dumb luck but man we seem to play y'all a good bit! I love playing you guys in the regular season because it makes sense and we should absolutely do it year in and year out. In the postseason it sucks because, quite frankly, the Cards are very good.

I am guessing we will go with Drake Fellows to open things up. He was 10-0 prior to the Super Regional opener against Duke. Fellows is a great competitor, but I think y'all have the pitching edge if he starts. We will not start Rocker against y'all. We might start Mason Hickman?

Our offense is pretty solid, best I've seen at VU so far.

This game against y'all feels like a coin flip and that we will end up facing each other again for the right to play in the Championship series.

Best of luck, fellas!

We might start Mason Hickman?
Yes,we remember him well and that game. He was outstanding. I'm half expecting it to be Hickman. Our guys will have to lay off that low diving pitch that he executed well.

Lol,do all your pitchers play to that particular strength? Rocker had Duke chasing one after another of those sinker/sliders out of the zone low.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
Yes,we remember him well and that game. He was outstanding. I'm half expecting it to be Hickman. Our guys will have to lay off that low diving pitch that he executed well.

Lol,do all your pitchers play to that particular strength? Rocker had Duke chasing one after another of those sinker/sliders out of the zone low.
Vandy’s Pitchers:
Hickman 8-0, 2.23 era, 116 K’s
Raby 10-1, 2.82 era, 77 K’s
Rocker 10-5, 3.50 era, 97 K’s
Fellows 12-1, 4.15 era, 120 K’s

It looks like Vandy will go with Fellows. Hopefully, Louisville's bats stay hot. Interesting stats- UofL has 674 total strike outs to Vandy's 543. UofL has 243 BB's to Vandy's 359. UofL's team ERA: 3.56. Vandy's 3.83.

Last edited:
That tells me like they are more patient and make the pitcher throw strikes. That tells me the Cards are not quite as patient. We all know Vandy is outstanding especially offensively. If the Cards play good, solid baseball they can win. Too many Ks, errors - defensively or on the bases - could be the kiss of death.

That tells me like they are more patient and make the pitcher throw strikes. That tells me the Cards are not quite as patient. We all know Vandy is outstanding especially offensively. If the Cards play good, solid baseball they can win. Too many Ks, errors - defensively or on the bases - could be the kiss of death.
Having Detmers starting against them should bring about some confidence then.

That tells me the Cards are not quite as patient.
It really is a battle of wills.I can tell you that their guy will try to get ahead in the count and make our hitters chase pitches out of the zone if he gets ahead. There are 2 approaches. Sit on that 1st if it's in there and avoid him getting ahead or show strict discipline if he gets ahead,taking those borderline pitches. Of course,Detmers thinking the same from this side.

A battle of will and approach.

I do think that getting on par with what they do as a team, taking pitches that are balls,is paramount to a victory for the Cardinals.

Last edited:

My bad. Those were pitching stats, not hitting stats. UofL pitching, statistically, is better than Vandy’s.

My bad. Those were pitching stats, not hitting stats. UofL pitching, statistically, is better than Vandy’s.
Ahhh. Well, in that case it appears our pitching is stronger even though the Win-Lose records are pretty gaudy for Vandy. I still believe what I said about our hitters though. Patience is key. Bat heads down. Swing into the pitches and drive the ball.

I’ll take Louisville and Michigan to upset Vandy and Texas Tech and Arkansas and Mississippi St to take care of business against FSU and Auburn.

There were opportunities for sure.
I keep going back to the Fitz at bat with the bases loaded. I know he's been pretty good in that situation,but I seem to remember him squeezing in that spot too,not so long ago. Just can't remember which game. Would've loved to see it...oh well,onward to the next one.

I keep going back to the Fitz at bat with the bases loaded. I know he's been pretty good in that situation,but I seem to remember him squeezing in that spot too,not so long ago. Just can't remember which game. Would've loved to see it...oh well,onward to the next one.
The general rule is not to squeeze with the bases loaded because you got a force out at every base. Also with bases loaded, you’re playing for 1 run when a single hit could break the game open. There’s also a chance the batter misses and the runner is hung out to dry at home plate. It also sends a message that you don’t think you can score against Vandy conventionally. Now if it is late and tied, you could try it but an opponent like Vandy and Corbin would have been looking for it.

The general rule is not to squeeze with the bases loaded because you got a force out at every base. Also with bases loaded, you’re playing for 1 run when a single hit could break the game open. There’s also a chance the batter misses and the runner is hung out to dry at home plate. It also sends a message that you don’t think you can score against Vandy conventionally. Now if it is late and tied, you could try it but an opponent like Vandy and Corbin would have been looking for it.
Ok,so you gave me all the reasons not to squeeze there,but I'm thinking that you just squeeze without the suicide. Fitz,being probably the best bunter on the team,can keep it out of the middle(which is the only bad place to lay that bunt). It takes away any chance of a double play and you've got a righty-righty matchup.
Also,since it's generally thought that you don't squeeze with the bases loaded,why would the other coach be expecting it?
Btw,I'm not questioning CM here. I'm guessing it crossed his mind because I've seen him do it before. I wouldn't be surprised to see it down the road
I agree with there being a chance to break the game open,but a successful squeeze there in a low scoring game gets our guys going too.

Ok,so you gave me all the reasons not to squeeze there,but I'm thinking that you just squeeze without the suicide. Fitz,being probably the best bunter on the team,can keep it out of the middle(which is the only bad place to lay that bunt). It takes away any chance of a double play and you've got a righty-righty matchup.
Also,since it's generally thought that you don't squeeze with the bases loaded,why would the other coach be expecting it?
Btw,I'm not questioning CM here. I'm guessing it crossed his mind because I've seen him do it before. I wouldn't be surprised to see it down the road
I agree with there being a chance to break the game open,but a successful squeeze there in a low scoring game gets our guys going too.
You answered it yourself. Fitz is, if not the best is probably a good hunter. Campbell is up there as well. You say you saw McDonnell do it before. If you know that Corbett does do, plus small ball is part of Dans DNA. That’s why you don’t take it for granted. You also don’t ask your 3-4 hitters to bunt either. Fitz showed today that he could just as easily hit a ball out of the stadium. That gets your guys fired up as well. Again no wrong or right, it’s about percentages and knowing your players.

You say you saw McDonnell do it before. If you know that Corbett does do,
Yes,he knows that Fitz is one of the best bunters,I'll give you that. He also knows,like you said,you don't bunt your 3 or 4 guy,thus the element of surprise was there. I'm curious about where there corners were on that fateful at bat.

Good time for a safety squeeze then with Campbell. Dan lets him hit and he drops in a single for a 5-2 lead.
Different situation,but good try.
Look,alls I'm saying is I'll bet it crossed CM's mind. That's all.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT