ADVERTISEMENT

UL Wake Game 2

73Card

1500+
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2006
Wake's Lowder throwing pure smoke. We can't buy a hit off this guy.

Who are these announcers? Don't know about Secretariat? Haven't they at least seen the movie?

Big Red was a monster from the beginning and was horse of the year as a 2 year old. He was the favorite and expected Derby winner. It was no surprise when he won the triple crown.

I don't think I've ever heard any sports announcer ask was Secretariat a surprise. Everyone knew he was a special horse.

Back to baseball. WF has all the confidence and the Cards have little.

Who are these announcers? Don't know about Secretariat? Haven't they at least seen the movie?

Big Red was a monster from the beginning and was horse of the year as a 2 year old. He was the favorite and expected Derby winner. It was no surprise when he won the triple crown.

I don't think I've ever heard any sports announcer ask was Secretariat a surprise. Everyone knew he was a special horse.

Back to baseball. WF has all the confidence and the Cards have little.
Not everyone follows horse racing. That said, I get it it, if you are doing play by play for UL baseball you should know that. There has been some talk, going forward just how long horse racing will remain a viable "sport". Specifically, in California. Anyway, as you said back to baseball.

Really curious regarding Jack Payton injury. Could be a huge loss. Also not sure why he remained in the game.

Not everyone follows horse racing. That said, I get it it, if you are doing play by play for UL baseball you should know that. There has been some talk, going forward just how long horse racing will remain a viable "sport". Specifically, in California. Anyway, as you said back to baseball.
Well, even people who don't normally follow horse racing, know Secretariat was a super horse. Certainly not some out of nowhere horse.

I think this WF series shows where the Cards stand in post season baseball. But McDonnell usually has the answers and he has a lot of promising talent. He just needs to fine tune the roster and should take advantage of the portal like everyone else.

Really curious regarding Jack Payton injury. Could be a huge loss. Also not sure why he remained in the game.
Desperation. Payton is by far the Cards best hitter and it's just a 3 run game. It shows the big hole in the lineup when Mac has to keep a injured hitter in the game.

Stating the obvious, Wake is a much better team. Maybe, we can get a win on Sunday but it's gonna be tough.

Reactions: Deeva
Desperation. Payton is by far the Cards best hitter and it's just a 3 run game. It shows the big hole in the lineup when Mac has to keep a injured hitter in the game.
Yea, I am just not sure about playing a guy that can't run down the baseline? Is there a player safety issue here? I don't know just throwing that out there. I did see the UL team doctor in an extended conversation with Mac. Again, I don't know enough to offer an educated opinion just found the situation odd. I don't think I have seen that before; where you keep a guy in the game who is obviously hurt to the point he can't run.

Wake is the real deal. Confident, competent, patient hitters, MLB level pitching and fielding, I’m just green with envy. That used to be UofL. Anyhoo, the second shutout loss this season. Did not see that coming when the season started. And, now, our best player is banged up.

Just got to get to the postseason and hope we get lucky. After an early flameout in the ACCT, of course.

Wake is the real deal. Confident, competent, patient hitters, MLB level pitching and fielding, I’m just green with envy. That used to be UofL. Anyhoo, the second shutout loss this season. Did not see that coming when the season started. And, now, our best player is banged up.

Just got to get to the postseason and hope we get lucky. After an early flameout in the ACCT, of course.
No doubt about the separation here. I used to get annoyed at the backward ks but now it's the other end of the spectrum. We just hack away at everything.

Every now and then a team returns a roster with mature and talented kids, some are better than others. Before folks start comparing UL’s chances to play beyond the regular season based on this series with WF; it might be worthy of considering just how good this WF team is in terms of National ranking.

it is possible to be a top 10 team and still be swept by this WF team. Some do it with pitching, while others do it with hitting; all season long this WF team has demonstrated that it not only has both, they have exceptional defensive support in key positions. I believe they have the very best pitching rotation in all of college baseball, and quite possibly one of the best closers.

Wake is legit. Good pitching always beats good hitting and it dominates average hitting. Wake is the best team I have watched. LSU is very good offensively but their pitching is average outside their Friday night guy.

It is becoming clear this Louisville team is very young at the plate. I am not a Synder fan at all. I haven’t liked their hitting approach for a while. With that said they
had the right approach today aggressive. Their pitcher missed when he wanted to miss. He pounded the strike zone. Louisville hitters outside of Knap and Payton were dominated. Forbes should never see the bench again this season he is legit.

Reactions: rh62531
I think we all expected (and the coaches too) for Beard and Humphrey to pick up where they left off after All ACC performances last season. We're not getting it, so we're trying to inject the young guys, some of whom are ready and some not.

I don't think we get to where we want to be until those 2 guys start to anchor the bottom half again, and of course McCoy starts to make pitchers throw him strikes.

Nice bounce back. Wake, while very good, was starting to feel a little too good about themselves. Good win for the team psyche, too. Let’s go beat that Hoosier ass on Tuesday.

That 3 run shot was the first real well-earned break we got this series, and the 2+2 runs that followed showed WF “is human”, as the walks, the HBPs and some uncharacteristic WF fielding errors contributed to the 5 run win.

Wished that Coach would have allowed Humphries to PH for Hawkins with bases loaded late. Did not need it, but watching Hawkins continually watching called strike 3 is both predictable and needs to learn that is unacceptable.

Reactions: Deeva and rh62531
This Card Team is still developing. But has potential for a nice run late season. I see Coach Mac trying different lineups, as a plus as we get deeper into the season. Pitching will have to improve for a deep run. But I believe this is at minimum a Top 20 Team, and will get a minimum a Top 16 Seed, and play in the second weekend of the season. Lot of baseball to be played, including mid week games against UK, IU, and Vandy. UL must view those games as important, as League games coming down the stretch! Go Cards!

Said it before, Hawkins just doesn’t (usually) get it done when the lights come on. Pinch run and enter him for defensive purposes- that’s it.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Agreed Bardman; he has had multiple opportunities to contribute at the plate and not only has he failed, watching call strike 3 is a true wasted bat.

Hawkins needs to play everyday to see if he can be a viable college baseball starter. Getting an at bat every once in awhile just isn't going to work for him.

He's probably going to end up transferring if he wants to play. This is one of the weakest outfields McDonnell has had at Louisville, yet Hawkins can't find his way in.

Common denominator to me with all the guys that are struggling,they're too aggressive early in the count. The Wake pitchers exposed each and every weakness they had and that formula included taking their aggression and using it against them.

Some of these guys have got to flip the script and start taking a few walks,or at least get it to a hitters' count.

Reactions: 2330859
Agreed Bardman; he has had multiple opportunities to contribute at the plate and not only has he failed, watching call strike 3 is a true wasted bat.
Too close to take, but I can see why he thought it was low.

CDM has emphasized the need to protect against a called strike 3; those WF hitters showed time and time again how valuable they are "at staying alive" with 2 strikes and fouling off pitches that might, or might not be out of the zone.

Reactions: earsky
CDM has emphasized the need to protect against a called strike 3; those WF hitters showed time and time again how valuable they are "at staying alive" with 2 strikes and fouling off pitches that might, or might not be out of the zone.
It's an elevated level of hitting. Stay alive while running up the pitch count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT