ADVERTISEMENT

Ty-Laur Johnson

I would love to see a few guys stay but they were awfully free with the turnovers so not sure how much playing time that will get them.

I don’t blame any of the players for not wanting to stay. On flip side I don’t care if any of them stay. They are part of the problem. Johnson was late all the time according to people that would know.

He is choosing to leave a place that now has a coach that has told them he will hold them accountable. A coach that has an offensive system that fits him and he is still leaving. You don’t want players like that. Johnson is young and he can change but he seems to be the kind of kid/family that wants it done his/their way.

I wonder how many top programs have a 2year record of 12 & 52?
Nice straw man argument. Not sure what you read into my post, I was just curious and wondering if anyone knew, not trying to start a narrative against our coach who I like and hope he does well.

I guess you don't have an answer to my question. Someone told me Cincy and probably LSU had every scholarship player transfer with the last coach change.

Nice straw man argument. Not sure what you read into my post, I was just curious and wondering if anyone knew, not trying to start a narrative against our coach who I like and hope he does well.

I guess you don't have an answer to my question. Someone told me Cincy and probably LSU had every scholarship player transfer with the last coach change.
UC had 6 players enter the portal immediately after the 2020-1 season. Whereupon the administration launched an investigation into HC John Brannen b4 firing him. IDK if any of them returned to UC.

Not a good look all of the players transferring. This team wasn't completely devoid of talent--the coaching sucked out loud.

One of the first indicators for a new coach is recruiting all of the current players worth keeping. So far that's a fail...

Well, they are all in the portal. Whether they will all decide to transfer is another question. So far, Clark and BHH have landed on other teams (UCLA and NC State respectively).

BHH’s physical talent will be hard to replace. His leadership these last two years was non-existent - he could become a truly great player if he develops that ability.

We do seem to have matched the loss of Clark with JMU’s Terrence Edwards - each rating service I have seen has those two players more or less equal.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Not a good look all of the players transferring. This team wasn't completely devoid of talent--the coaching sucked out loud.

One of the first indicators for a new coach is recruiting all of the current players worth keeping. So far that's a fail...
First of all - just because a player puts their name in the portal - it doesn’t mean that they are definitely transferring.

Secondly, Kelsey is no doubt evaluating each player to see whether or not they are a fit for his playing styles - both offensively and defensively. Fit is more important at this level than talent.

Lastly, those concepts should be self evident to anyone who either:

A. understands sports or

B. isn’t a shameless troll with a failed and tired agenda looking for any excuse to try and shit on the program and it’s new coach.

The only failure here is you little buddy.

For a coach who doesn't like turnovers I would say all except BHH are not going to make the cut. Also not a good look running down a coach so early. I know you hate the administration but Kelsey has nothing to do with them. You really need to grow up. This is the basketball forum, not the axe to grind against the leadership forum.

Your man crush Pitino kicked everyone off St. John’s except one player, how is this any different?

Your assumption that players who delivered 12 wins in two years are worth keeping is dubious at best.

Apparently in the team meeting he had to correct players and instruct them to look at him while he spoke. This group had issues with accountability. While coaching was clearly an issue the players were a problem as well.

The next issue does any of them fit his system? I would argue only 2 players really fit his system and they are borderline. Shooting is a priority in his system. Clark and BHH. Those are the only 2 that are shoot the ball well enough to fit.

It isn’t a failure to not want players that he has to fix their attitude, or don’t fit his system. Coaches make both these mistakes all the time. To me this actually shows he knows exactly what he is looking for and won’t compromise.

Now I have no idea if he will work but I like the fact he clearly knows what he wants.

Apparently in the team meeting he had to correct players and instruct them to look at him while he spoke. This group had issues with accountability. While coaching was clearly an issue the players were a problem as well.
Agree with everything about the system being better without them, but the thing about players not looking at him was a rumor and didn’t actually happen

The next issue does any of them fit his system? I would argue only 2 players really fit his system and they are borderline. Shooting is a priority in his system. Clark and BHH. Those are the only 2 that are shoot the ball well enough to fit.

It isn’t a failure to not want players that he has to fix their attitude, or don’t fit his system. Coaches make both these mistakes all the time. To me this actually shows he knows exactly what he is looking for and won’t compromise.

Now I have no idea if he will work but I like the fact he clearly knows what he wants.
Yeah he is off to a very good start. Bringing over 2 players from his old team almost immediately, then the big commit today from Edwards.

Your assumption that players who delivered 12 wins in two years are worth keeping is dubious at best.
I know what I saw. There were athletes on this year’s team. And several were highly rated coming in.

So is the narrative changing? The lack of talent was our problem?? We spent millions to now be discovering that…

Your man crush Pitino kicked everyone off St. John’s except one player, how is this any different?
No idea about the caliber of players at St. John’s now or then.

Supposedly we always have quality kids waiting in line to put on the jersey of an elite program…

I know what I saw. There were athletes on this year’s team. And several were highly rated coming in.

So is the narrative changing? The lack of talent was our problem?? We spent millions to now be discovering that…
No one has changed the narrative. They were poorly-terribly coached. I don’t give 2 cents on how kids were rated. I only care how they actually play. That is how you tell if a kid is talented.

We all get KP was an awful hire. They wasted millions of dollars on a guy that was lazy. We all get it.

Try to stick with the thread. What players last years team in your opinion fit PK’s offensive system? Which players will be OK being coached hard? Does Johnson fit?

Individual talent was not an issue with this year's team. How that talent was utilized was the issue. I can understand players' reluctance to undergo a sea change in coaching philosophy, but it is a great opportunity to clear the perception of themselves. Any who want to accept that challenge are welcome back in my book. I accept any who choose to leave.

The other part of this is every single player should test the portal. That is the only way to know their value $$$$. Allegedly Clark got 3x more $$$$ than what Louisville offered. Hatfield is looking for 1M. It is crazy, but it’s the best thing for the players.

Hard to envision paying close to $2M for Clark and Hatfield. It’s weird because neither will result in more ticket sales. They aren’t that big of an impact. Dickerson reportedly was paid 2M and they get bumped early. The kid from Wisconsin turned down 750k.

As a coach you better bring guys in that fit and try to avoid over paying for a players. The coaches that will kill it in the period of time will find bargains and have a high hit rate on elite guys the fit their culture. This shit can go sideways in a hurry.

...Try to stick with the thread. What players last years team in your opinion fit PK’s offensive system? Which players will be OK being coached hard? Does Johnson fit?
I don't have any problem discussing the roster. Haters as usual are trying to derail the thread.

This thread is apparently about transfers, and there's a disconnect between fanboy narratives... One POV is that we want to be recruiting high level talent nationally, what "elite" programs do. And there was talent on last year's roster that's mostly walking--or trying to--out the door.

The other narrative is that CPK can utilize that talent when there's really no evidence of that. He didn't have it at CoC, and the guys we had are all leaving. You hope or trust that's not an issue, but you don't know that.

And I'll add a third that some high level kids can be "coached hard". I don't believe in absolutes, so that's probably true, But is CPK gonna locate the few kids that can be and stack his roster with them while many other programs want these same kids as well? More faith and trust. I'm also not sure to what degree high level transfers are moving so that they can be "coached hard."

There's a reason this coach is paid $2 million a year. None of this stuff is proven to be true or anywhere close. Much like Payne, he's a pig in a poke. No chance he can be as bad a coach as Payne, but he doesn't have to win a few games a year to be considered unsuccessful. Not being able to step up his game from CoC will suffice. And as I said, the prospect of losing most or all of the players from last year is an inauspicious start...

Zipp you started this argument saying Kelsey failed by not retaining the players. When you clearly aren’t paying attention on what is going on in the portal. A transfer is no longer an indictment of a coach. It is the reality of the market.

I am not sure if recruiting will ever be the same. What has actually been proven is talent evaluators only evaluate the individual not how they fit. Alabama is a good example 9 new players. Oats is a good coach but doubt he ever had to rebuild a team. The talent evaluators didn’t have him in the Top 25. Musselman paid the price for not recruiting good fits. Talent evaluators had him in the Top 25. It can go both ways.

No one said last year team didn’t have talent. Almost everyone said it was mainly a coaching issue. That doesn’t mean the players didn’t loft or decide to not play defense. Some decided to miss class or miss shoot around or come late to practice. Most have said they didn’t fit with whatever KP wanted done on offense or defense.

They don’t have to get high end elite guys. Have you been paying any attention what is going on? None of the final 4 teams have any lottery picks. They are built with transfers many from lower level schools. So yes what PK did at Charleston is relevant.

It’s actually a great look that says, “ we aren’t going to accept mediocrity”!

Talent is one thing, but the ability to exercise that talent and make it accountable for what is required are two separate issues- so maybe Kelsey saw and heard ALL he needed as did the players to understand that their styles, views , perspectives don’t align for Louisville’s new expectations, hence they ALL decided that this isn’t the place for them and left for the portal. Oh and I guess your boy RP felt the same way at his intro presser last year at St. John’s🤔 https://theathletic.com/4332459/2023/03/21/rick-pitino-st-johns-introduction/

Zipp you started this argument saying Kelsey failed by not retaining the players. When you clearly aren’t paying attention on what is going on in the portal. A transfer is no longer an indictment of a coach...
It might be when it's 100% participation.

I just checked UNC's situation for comparison, and they have four kids considering a transfer. You can check other "elite" programs and let us know if anyone is nearly 100%.

If we are the stature of program and armed with the NIL money we supposedly are/have, there's an incentive for talented kids to be here, not hit the door like all of ours are doing...

Talent? Maybe. Attitude? Effort? Possibly. I just can’t figure out why replacing most or even all of the roster is a bad thing for a new and very different coach; especially given the last two years’ performance.

Reactions: Mayoman
I don't have any problem discussing the roster. Haters as usual are trying to derail the thread.

This thread is apparently about transfers, and there's a disconnect between fanboy narratives... One POV is that we want to be recruiting high level talent nationally, what "elite" programs do. And there was talent on last year's roster that's mostly walking--or trying to--out the door.

The other narrative is that CPK can utilize that talent when there's really no evidence of that. He didn't have it at CoC, and the guys we had are all leaving. You hope or trust that's not an issue, but you don't know that.

And I'll add a third that some high level kids can be "coached hard". I don't believe in absolutes, so that's probably true, But is CPK gonna locate the few kids that can be and stack his roster with them while many other programs want these same kids as well? More faith and trust. I'm also not sure to what degree high level transfers are moving so that they can be "coached hard."

There's a reason this coach is paid $2 million a year. None of this stuff is proven to be true or anywhere close. Much like Payne, he's a pig in a poke. No chance he can be as bad a coach as Payne, but he doesn't have to win a few games a year to be considered unsuccessful. Not being able to step up his game from CoC will suffice. And as I said, the prospect of losing most or all of the players from last year is an inauspicious start...
There’s a school up the road that would just love to have your “support”.

Talent? Maybe. Attitude? Effort? Possibly. I just can’t figure out why replacing most or even all of the roster is a bad thing for a new and very different coach; especially given the last two years’ performance.
The last two years were supposedly because the coach sucked. I asked before, has the narrative changed?…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT