ADVERTISEMENT

Ty-Laur Johnson

It might be when it's 100% participation.

I just checked UNC's situation for comparison, and they have four kids considering a transfer. You can check other "elite" programs and let us know if anyone is nearly 100%.

If we are the stature of program and armed with the NIL money we supposedly are/have, there's an incentive for talented kids to be here, not hit the door like all of ours are doing...
Who would you like to stay? How much NIL would you be will to spend to keep them? You are a money man. Tell me would you pay 750k for Clark? Would you pay 750k-1M for BHH?

How about actually supporting your position that Kelsey failed keeping players. UNC has nothing to do with what is happening at Louisville.

It might be when it's 100% participation.

I just checked UNC's situation for comparison, and they have four kids considering a transfer. You can check other "elite" programs and let us know if anyone is nearly 100%.
This statement illustrates perfectly how utterly clueless you are. UofL and UNC are not currently analogous. It s not even apples and oranges - it’s apples and rocks.

Keep sucking…

But you don’t know that’s true—“not wanting them to.” All you know is they’re fine playing somewhere else…
You don’t know what you’re asserting is true - that they have a problem with Kelsey. All you know is that it’s an opportunity to try and weave it into your tired and failed agenda.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Who would you like to stay? How much NIL would you be will to spend to keep them? You are a money man. Tell me would you pay 750k for Clark? Would you pay 750k-1M for BHH?

How about actually supporting your position that Kelsey failed keeping players. UNC has nothing to do with what is happening at Louisville.
You’re wasting your time asking this buffoon sports questions - he’s waaaay out of his depth.

Redirect. I’ll bet my fan resume trumps yours…
Not if you include in that resume the incessant bitching and negativity towards that same program. I don’t care how many tickets you buy or donations you make. You are simply trying to buy a perch from which you can spew constant criticism, even towards a coach who hasn’t had one practice yet, let alone a game.

I don’t think the narrative has changed for me … because the head coach was horrible at his job, he assembled a roster that was doomed to failure two years in a row. This year, his roster consisted of exactly 4 players with extensive college experience (Traynor, BHH, James, and White), and he threw them out there against a high major schedule with predictably disastrous results.

So all he did was take several players with some talent and ruin their confidence while teaching them how to be losers. It will likely take all of them a while to recover from the Kenny Payne experience.

I think it’s best for most of those former players to get as far away from this trauma as possible. And for CPK, I’d much rather he go after proven players at the college level from winning programs. Those players already understand what success looks and feels like at the collegiate level, even if those players weren’t top 100 HS recruits or if they aren’t showing up on some scout’s list as future NBA prospects.

I don’t think the narrative has changed for me … because the head coach was horrible at his job, he assembled a roster that was doomed to failure two years in a row. This year, his roster consisted of exactly 4 players with extensive college experience (Traynor, BHH, James, and White), and he threw them out there against a high major schedule with predictably disastrous results.

So all he did was take several players with some talent and ruin their confidence while teaching them how to be losers. It will likely take all of them a while to recover from the Kenny Payne experience.

I think it’s best for most of those former players to get as far away from this trauma as possible. And for CPK, I’d much rather he go after proven players at the college level from winning programs. Those players already understand what success looks and feels like at the collegiate level, even if those players weren’t top 100 HS recruits or if they aren’t showing up on some scout’s list as future NBA prospects.
I don't want to rip on our players. It's not their fault they didn't receive any defensive instruction and didn't learn how to run offensive sets for 1-2 years. Some of them are no doubt talented, but they've wasted 1-2 years here with little development.

It's a shame, but I don't think this is the best place for them to learn or re-learn how to play basketball. They'd all be much better off playing for an established coach who already has their system in place where they can start learning from experienced players in that system from day one.

The last two years were supposedly because the coach sucked. I asked before, has the narrative changed?…
The narrative didn't change, the coach is gone, cause he sucked. The current coach's previously undertalented team would have cruised past KP's talented team on a mid-December weeknight at the YUM center without much trouble.

Can Kelsey compete at this level given greater resources, visibility, tradition and fan enthusiasm? Perhaps, though it's definitely not guaranteed. We can all agree that he has characteristics that are badly needed and in stark contrast to what we just survived for 2 years. You seem to want to condemn him before the 1st dribble. Most of us see traits we can, and would like to believe in. We are fans of the team, not just the a**hole that used to run it.
You certainly seem to have decided Kelsey's fate. Keep acting as if you know what can't be known, yet taking jabs at those who simply want to believe brighter days are ahead.

What IS guaranteed is that the program is where it is because of your personal heroes (friends?) And NONE of them are ever walking through that door ever again. No Jurich's, no Pitinos. That's something you really should accept. They made their own beds- Move on without them, or move along with them.

Lots of sniffin ITT. Something stinks.

Sniffing The Rock GIF

Just how bad KP was as head coach will be fully realized when this new Louisville team with all new players and a new coach, win more games by February than KP won in two seasons. Hell, it might take just the first few games.

The numbers KP accumulated are as bad as any coach I've ever seen. This everyone knows, but just how bad he really was will all sink in after Louisville blows out It's exhibition opponent instead of losing.

Looked to me like BHH, Johnson, James, Glenn, JJ, and probably Clarke could contribute next year under good coaching.

UNC was just the first school I checked against the narrative that “all kids are testing the portal.” My guess is I could find another example otherwise and without much effort…

Last edited:
Not if you include in that resume the incessant bitching and negativity towards that same program. I don’t care how many tickets you buy or donations you make. You are simply trying to buy a perch from which you can spew constant criticism, even towards a coach who hasn’t had one practice yet, let alone a game.
You’re confusing fan with fanboy. That doesn't confuse me.

You’re also off topic and choosing to stay there…

Last edited:
Just how bad KP was as head coach will be fully realized when this new Louisville team with all new players and a new coach, win more games by February than KP won in two seasons. Hell, it might take just the first few games.

The numbers KP accumulated are as bad as any coach I've ever seen. This everyone knows, but just how bad he really was will all sink in after Louisville blows out It's exhibition opponent instead of losing.
KP is the lowest possible bar, now the clown standard.

CPK better be a LOT better than his predecessor…

You judge it by what the players have done, not what the program has achieved historically. These Louisville players won 12 games in 2 years. What are you saying? That PK should’ve kept everyone because Louisville won a title 11 years ago?
The fanboy narrative was that we are an elite program with millions of NIL money and coaches standing in line to work here.

Sounds like UNC to me, as but one example…

This thread’s about recruiting, but what exactly has been the basis for “excitement?”

When CPK’s name emerged, there was an outpouring of WTF…
When they had the introductory press conference, I think that most Cardinal fans were universally impressed and pleased. And so far he has pulled in three players from the transfer portal who look like they will help. And then there was the NIL fund-raising, pretty impressive. So most people are feeling better, but you have a need to throw a lot of shade at the positive things that are happening. Sad.

I’m simply going by what I see—100% attrition unless/until someone returns…
I guarantee Kelsey laid out what
the expectations were for players that wanted to stay and none of them were up to the challenge. To his credit, he is bringing two players with him from his team at CoC..

Can't blame any of the players for wanting to get a fresh start. Can't blame CPFK for not wanting to keep any of them. It's really simple..

BHH - very good player, ranked 23rd best in the portal by 247. Would have been a nice to have.

Terrence Edwards, also very good player, ranked 34th best. Was a very good player to add.

Skyy Clark, very good player, ranked 43rd. See BHH above, BUT he plays the same combo guard position as Edwards, so I’m not going to count Skyy as a miss.

The rest of UofL’s 2023-4 roster is ranked between 82nd (James) and 241st (Okorafor). White, Glenn, Williams, Evans, Johnson, and Traynor are all ranked around 100. Reyne Smith and James Scott are 173 and 174, below all of the former UofL players except Okorafor.

To me, it’s too early form an opinion one way or the other. The only CPK miss so far for me is BHH.

BHH was a good offensive player from 15 feet in. Not a good defender, nor defensive rebounder with slow feet.

Reactions: UofLouisville
BHH was a good offensive player from 15 feet in. Not a good defender, nor defensive rebounder with slow feet.
Your right offensively he was much quicker than he was on defense. And there was a reason why. He wasn't taught defense by what's his name.

BHH - very good player, ranked 23rd best in the portal by 247. Would have been a nice to have.

Terrence Edwards, also very good player, ranked 34th best. Was a very good player to add.

Skyy Clark, very good player, ranked 43rd. See BHH above, BUT he plays the same combo guard position as Edwards, so I’m not going to count Skyy as a miss.

The rest of UofL’s 2023-4 roster is ranked between 82nd (James) and 241st (Okorafor). White, Glenn, Williams, Evans, Johnson, and Traynor are all ranked around 100. Reyne Smith and James Scott are 173 and 174, below all of the former UofL players except Okorafor.

To me, it’s too early form an opinion one way or the other. The only CPK miss so far for me is BHH.
Good info. So a number of U of L's kids from last year are rated above 2 of the 3 transfers in.

That doesn't sound reassuring...

What should sound more reassuring is that the players we have landed so far are the three best players off of their two teams … teams that went a combined 59-13 this season and won one regular season conference title, two conference tournaments, and one NCAA tournament game over the Big Ten team that knocked Purdue out of the Big Ten tourney.

I think it is the new world when a coaching change happens players are entering the portal. They have to see their value and pretty quickly. I agree BHH and Clark are legit starters for most D1 programs. Johnson is as well but he may have trouble getting eligible. They had real NIL value. The question for staffs is do you want to spend 40-50 of your NIL budget on guys that went 8-24. That may fit or not.

I know people want Glynn back but he is a terrible fit for Kelsey but a great fit for say Seaton Hall. Hailey is a good example she wasn’t worth the squeeze for LSU. She was a terrible fit.

Look at Arkansas see how of their players hit the portal. Again it isn’t fair in this world to hold a new coach accountable for players entering the portal. You have to evaluate them by who they bring in. Then even if you are happy or unhappy we have to see how they play.

Louisville basketball is a very different case when it comes to players leaving. I don't see any reason why any of them, minus Traynor, wouldn't leave the program after the past two seasons. Why deal with that when you can go somewhere else very easily? Traynor is a local kid, so him staying home could have happened.

It used to be difficult or cumbersome to transfer so most players would stick it out. Had there been a portal in 2011, Russ Smith would never had stayed in Louisville. Today, players transfer not just to get playing time, but to win. Something UofL has a lot of the former but hardly any of the latter.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT