ADVERTISEMENT

The UofL vs Uk Game

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
The Cards vs cats game is at Rupp in 8 days. What are your predictions for this game?

Even if we keep it respectable, which is highly doubtful. The whistle at Rupp will not go in our favor whatsoever I predict 20+ turnovers, and Curry to foul out.

99 to 69. Payne will feel the Pain that Cal beats down on his hapless Cards. Will be ugly...just like the Cards play.

UK will probably lead by 25 at some point, but Cal will empty the bench and UK will win by around 20. UK 72- UofL 51.

Reactions: Louis III
This UK team coached by John Calipari isn't capable of beating anyone by the kind of margins you guys are predicting. I'm expecting an ugly low scoring game with a final score of something like.

Kentucky - 63
Louisville - 56

Should be one of the easiest wins on uk schedule. It's at Rupp and against by far the worst UofL team of the modern era. If Cal somehow loses this game he should be fired on the spot. But he has virtually no chance at losing this one.

Cards 54
Cats 78

This UK team coached by John Calipari isn't capable of beating anyone by the kind of margins you guys are predicting. I'm expecting an ugly low scoring game with a final score of something like.

Kentucky - 63
Louisville - 56
Then you haven't watched us play. UK is average but we are awful!!! Lex by 22.

Reactions: Cardiac Red

Kentucky - 63
Louisville - 56
I remember they had a pretty bad team by their standards in 2017-2018 when we had David Padgett and a decent roster and they still ran us out of Rupp.

Their team this year is much better and we are much worse.

Reactions: Mayoman
The best we can do is have a moral victory by not getting embarrassed. We will be demolished on the boards but if we can somehow limit the turnovers to under 10, and make around ten 3's, we could lose by 7 to 10.

UK 77
Cards 68

But, if we get down by a lot early, look for bad body language and Zac Payne on the floor.

UK 92
Cards 58

But, if UK totally overlooks the Cards and shoots under 30 percent, with a 10+ more turnovers and the big man picks up 3 fouls in the first 10 minutes and then his fourth foul 5 minutes into the 2nd half...

UK 66
Cards 65

After all, we're also very unlucky in one point games.

In other words, I have a better chance my scratch off lottery game will win me 10 grand than the Cards beating UK. I still haven't played the $20 scratch off I got from my grandchildren.

Think I'll do that right now. If I come back here with the results, the Cards will pull the upset. 🤑

UK is another terrible matchup for the Cards. Almost goes without saying this season. Cal will most definitely have his team ready to play in this one.

UK has several guards this year that can shoot the 3. They have not shot it particularly well in some of their big games (Gonzaga, UCLA). CJ Fredrick transfer from Iowa and Reeves another transfer from IL State can light it up. Wallace and Carson are solid as well. Tshiebwe obviously has the potential to have a really big game. Did not mention Wheeler who is a solid but small PG.

Cal will do his best to take away or neutralize Ellis. Fully expecting at times for him to put some size and length with one of his bigger guards instead of Wheeler on Ellis. More than likely throw different guys at him.

If you’re into moral victories…. keeping this one under a 15 to 20 point loss may prove to be a chore for UofL.

Season high in turnovers? Hoping Cal shows KP a little mercy.

Cal will do his best to take away or neutralize Ellis. Fully expecting at times for him to put some size and length with one of his bigger guards instead of Wheeler on Ellis. More than likely throw different guys at him.
His formula for keeping an upper hand in this series has been spearheaded by slowing down or neutralizing our point guard. No doubt KP knows this but what's he got up his sleeve to counter? Hard to see any options but to hope we can make damn near every shot we take. 🤷‍♂️

His formula for keeping an upper hand in this series has been spearheaded by slowing down or neutralizing our point guard. No doubt KP knows this but what's he got up his sleeve to counter? Hard to see any options but to hope we can make damn near every shot we take. 🤷‍♂️
I agree. Cal has had a knack for being able to do this very well in this series. I’m hoping KP has something prepared because if not this game could get away from them quickly. I’ve actually noticed some adjustments from KP over the last few games especially NC State. I think he will have something. Hopefully enough to keep it close.

A long post (another one) but interesting to me considering this is UK game week.

I heard Drew Deener this morning on his show talking about Louisville’s break and Danny Manning’s comments last night on KP’s radio show. Manning was feeling in for KP.

Topic: Length of break. The team has been off for break since last Thursday’s game at NC State. A 5 day break from basketball for a 2-11 team.

Paraphrasing here - Manning made comments about them “getting back in the gym today for practice and will begin their preparation for the game today.” Said that “the team is getting back in the gym to knock a little of the rust off.” He said, “hopefully, they got in the gym and did a little over the break.” Something to this effect.

I know most teams take some type of a break for Christmas but also use this time to make significant progress with their teams as well.

This coupled with the comments from the CJ I read, is either going to be a great move by KP and team comes out ready to play or this team comes out flat and is down by 15 to 20 (maybe worse or sooner) before the 10 minute mark of the first half.

Overreaction? Good or Bad? Kenny the Zen Master Payne? Is anyone still listening to the staff or players comments?

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...reak-reset-kentucky-rivalry-game/69755388007/

Snippets from CJ:
coach Kenny Payne said it was important for his team to take a few days away from the court – “I want them to go home and have a couple days and spend them with their families, enjoy the Christmas break.”

Reflection during the holidays, Payne said, could be a good thing. “I also want them to think about what more they can do to bring more to the table,” he said. “What more can they do, each individual, to help us get over the hump?”

The lengthy break is coming at a good time, Payne said. The holiday season can always brighten the mood, he said, and can serve as a good time to mentally reflect as well.

It’s a quick break, though, he noted. The Cardinals will have to flip the switch in a hurry. “We have to lock back in real quick,” he said Thursday. “… While we’re at home we have to remember our obligation to our team. We can’t just be sitting down, not working out, not staying in shape like that. … This break will allow us to reset and allow us to get our minds together and then come back and get back to work.”

Payne knows what the Cardinals are up against, too. A longtime assistant to Calipari, Louisville’s coach said he wants to take time this week to ensure his team understands “the magnitude of the rivalry,”

The Cardinals will need to take this week seriously to be prepared for that game, Payne said, and to be ready for the rest of the season.

“The second half of this is coming fast, and we’re going to be playing some really good teams,” he said. “We have to be on point, we have to be 100% bought-in and go in there and fight for everything that we get.”

A long post (another one) but interesting to me considering this is UK game week.

I heard Drew Deener this morning on his show talking about Louisville’s break and Danny Manning’s comments last night on KP’s radio show. Manning was feeling in for KP.

Topic: Length of break. The team has been off for break since last Thursday’s game at NC State. A 5 day break from basketball for a 2-11 team.

Paraphrasing here - Manning made comments about them “getting back in the gym today for practice and will begin their preparation for the game today.” Said that “the team is getting back in the gym to knock a little of the rust off.” He said, “hopefully, they got in the gym and did a little over the break.” Something to this effect.

I know most teams take some type of a break for Christmas but also use this time to make significant progress with their teams as well.

This coupled with the comments from the CJ I read, is either going to be a great move by KP and team comes out ready to play or this team comes out flat and is down by 15 to 20 (maybe worse or sooner) before the 10 minute mark of the first half.

Overreaction? Good or Bad? Kenny the Zen Master Payne? Is anyone still listening to the staff or players comments?

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...reak-reset-kentucky-rivalry-game/69755388007/

Snippets from CJ:
coach Kenny Payne said it was important for his team to take a few days away from the court – “I want them to go home and have a couple days and spend them with their families, enjoy the Christmas break.”

Reflection during the holidays, Payne said, could be a good thing. “I also want them to think about what more they can do to bring more to the table,” he said. “What more can they do, each individual, to help us get over the hump?”

The lengthy break is coming at a good time, Payne said. The holiday season can always brighten the mood, he said, and can serve as a good time to mentally reflect as well.

It’s a quick break, though, he noted. The Cardinals will have to flip the switch in a hurry. “We have to lock back in real quick,” he said Thursday. “… While we’re at home we have to remember our obligation to our team. We can’t just be sitting down, not working out, not staying in shape like that. … This break will allow us to reset and allow us to get our minds together and then come back and get back to work.”

Payne knows what the Cardinals are up against, too. A longtime assistant to Calipari, Louisville’s coach said he wants to take time this week to ensure his team understands “the magnitude of the rivalry,”

The Cardinals will need to take this week seriously to be prepared for that game, Payne said, and to be ready for the rest of the season.

“The second half of this is coming fast, and we’re going to be playing some really good teams,” he said. “We have to be on point, we have to be 100% bought-in and go in there and fight for everything that we get.”
Wow to me this seems like a recipe for disaster. This team needs all the help and practice they can get and they've had an almost week long break. Judging from their past, this is not a disciplined bunch of guys either.

I have uk winning by around 24 points but it might get worse than that. Your whole post did absolutely nothing to inspire confidence and makes me wonder if Payne has already checked out on this team and is washing his hands of the whole thing. Maybe I'm overreacting and they'll play uk close...but I'm not seeing it.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
Extra practice over Christmas for this team makes me think of the phrase “beating a dead horse.”

Probably doesn’t matter at this point. Maybe an extended break is what they need. Either way this game has the potential to go sideways very quickly extra practice or no practice. Opening spread will more than likely be in the -15 to -18 range for UK.

Extra practice over Christmas for this team makes me think of the phrase “beating a dead horse.”
Unless Payne has suddenly figured something out--which I doubt--I'm not sure what more time spent in the gym with this coach is gonna accomplish in the short run.

Better to have these guys do a mental purge of how bad they've really played. Maybe time away from the sport helps with that.

I know I wouldn't want a reminder if I was a player. And the less I witness of this team and the way it plays makes me a happier fan...

“I also want them to think about what more they can do to bring more to the table,” he said. “What more can they do, each individual, to help us get over the hump?”

this is not coaching. send these kids home with some videotape of the opponent. and some individualized video clips of their play and what they can do to improve.

Really hoping tomorrow does not go as bad as I think it could.

Oh it's going to and then some..

UsucK has not been playing very well but you can bet your last dollar they will play better than they have played all year and they are going to rub our face into the Rupp arena floor.

I just hope that after it happens all the fans react the same way they did towards Satterfield when he got drug by them..

The Cards vs cats game is at Rupp in 8 days. What are your predictions for this game?
In honor of the 97-98 3-6 Cards upset of #4 UK in Rupp Arena:

UofL- 79
UK- 76

If only this team had Tony Williams, Marques Maybin and Eric Johnson to light a fire under them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT