ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling Smith visiting UofL - 5th yr SR

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Shot 42% from the 3 pt line last year, at Coppin St.

Looks like a back-up plan should Lee choose to go elsewhere.

I believe Smith made more 3s than 2s and would probably play a reserve role here, although I admit I haven't seen him play.

If you haven't seen him play then how is it you have him coming off the bench? Head scratcher.

Originally posted by ShortCreek:
If you haven't seen him play then how is it you have him coming off the bench? Head scratcher.
Looks like a pure SG if he's made more 3s than 2s meaning he'd probably back up Lewis since Lewis appears to be a more proven commodity at guard. Smith has offers from Ga Tech and WF indicating he's not in high demand.

What are your thoughts on him? Or would you rather keep breaking down my thoughts?

Either is fine.

This post was edited on 4/15 9:27 AM by Ipartiedwithhopgood

Sterling Smith 2014-15 (Junior): Named to the All-MEAC second team and College Sports Madness Third Team…Was named MEAC Defensive Player of the Week on Dec. 29…Preseason honors included being named to the College Sports Madness All-MEAC fourth team…Averaged a team-best 13.9 points in 31 games…He was also second on the team in rebounding (4.9)…Smith was among the conference leaders in field-goal percentage (46.8 percent) and three-point shooting (41.8)..He led Coppin State with 76 3-pointers…He scored in double figures 23 times and hit for 20 or more points seven times…Had an eight-game stretch in which he went for 20 or more points five times…He scored a career-high 28 points against Norfolk State and had 27 points against Savannah State…Made at least four 3-pointers in a game 10 times…Had two double-doubles: Eastern Michigan (14 points, 11 rebounds) and Delaware State (27 points, 10 rebounds)…Was second on the team with 44 steals….Was third in the MEAC in 3-pointers made per game (2.5), 3-point field goal percentage (41.8), seventh in steals (1.4), 12th in scoring and field goal percentage (44.8) and 19th in rebounding.

I don't really like that pickup unless he plans to go 3 guards, or there is no other players out there to fill the 2 scholly.

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:

Maybe he could play SF or we could run 3 G?

Thx for stats Cardio nice rebounding #'s.
7th in conference in steals too so he plays some D.

Yeah, who needs a 6'4 guy that stuffs the stat sheet, is much more mature then most players you could get at this point, and plays good defense. Oh, and shoots 42% from 3. Yeah, might want to pass on him with the loaded roster we have...

I picture this guy as what Mike Marra should have become. A reliable shooter off the bench. What I don't like seeing is that all these numbers were put up for an 8-23 team playing in the MEAC. Against the five power 5 teams Coppin St played, Smith averaged 7.4 pts, 3.4 reb, 2.4 ast, 2.0 stl, 50%/31%/75% shooting. In those 5 games against P5 teams, Coppin St lost by an average of 35 points while giving up an average of 101 points per game. At the very least, this will be a massive culture shock for Sterling Smith.

If we have a scholarship to fill, I like seeing Pitino find guys like this. But I don't like that it's come to the point where we're hunting for prospects on one of the worst teams in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT