ADVERTISEMENT

The 5th Yr Sr Transfers...

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
We have no idea what we're going to get here.

Rick clearly didn't like the reserve wings @ all from last year, so much that he'd rather lose their multiple years of eligibility remaining to bring in two one year 5th yr Srs.

Lewis impressed me when I saw him play. But, it is one thing to be a good player on a bad team and then transition to a role player on a good team.

I didn't see Lee play @ all, and the vibe I get is he's about to lead us in PPG.

Is it just me, or is this just madness.

I think Rick is drawing a line in the sand and saying, "I can win anyway I want with whoever I want."

And... I think he's going to do it. We're going to hover around .500 in the ACC, but I could see a potential underdog team make some strides in March.

Reactions: beasleythecard
We are looking to replace scoring. Asking guys to come score seems to be the plan with the 5th year guys.
We will be up tempo and use more guys pressing and trapping.

I expect that we will be a better team than most believe. He (Rick) doea not want to slip in any way.

I am hopeful that being able to line up shooters makes life for out bigs easier.

Last edited:
We have no idea what we're going to get here.

Rick clearly didn't like the reserve wings @ all from last year, so much that he'd rather lose their multiple years of eligibility remaining to bring in two one year 5th yr Srs.

Lewis impressed me when I saw him play. But, it is one thing to be a good player on a bad team and then transition to a role player on a good team.

I didn't see Lee play @ all, and the vibe I get is he's about to lead us in PPG.

Is it just me, or is this just madness.

I think Rick is drawing a line in the sand and saying, "I can win anyway I want with whoever I want."

And... I think he's going to do it. We're going to hover around .500 in the ACC, but I could see a potential underdog team make some strides in March.

Do we know for sure that it played out like that though?

I think that for whatever reason those guys are gone, Rick saw that this was one of his youngest teams in a while, and that the team needed two things very badly- upper classman leadership and scoring. Throw proven 3 point shooting out there as well.

By bringing in veterans Lee and Lewis, who I both think mentioned showing leadership on this team, Rick probably figured it was the best way to plug the immediate gaps on this particular squad. True we don't know how well it will work out or if it will work out at all, but bringing in proven guys (even if it was at a lower level) brings what would probably be the best shot at making this a successful season. If these guys mesh together well and play as a team, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards have a pretty darn good run. We'll see in a few more months.

We lost our top 4 scorers from last year. Aaron was a bust. We had to bring in a couple of proven scorers or the 2015-16 season was going to be a disaster. I expect Lee, Lewis and Mitchell to be the top 3 scorers on the 15-16 squad. Still not sure how good we will be because of so many unproven players. I think RP had to go this route. I'm sure he would tell you this is not the route he would prefer to go, but in this case he had to. Lee and Lewis give us a chance to be a pretty good team. Maybe a real good team.

Pitino, has his pride (I mean that in a good way) and he's in a league with Coach K, Williams, etc. He doesn't want to lose and he saw a need to bring in some shooters immediately as he was losing so much scoring. Plus these are experienced players who want a chance to showcase their abilities on a big stage. What Pitino will have to do is make sure they are team players who want to win and just not fill up their stat sheets.

I think if he can do this, we will have a MUCH better team than we expect. I don't think a final 4 is out of the question.

If he can't meld these 5th year SRs to play for the good of the team, it might be a debacle. I think if anyone can, Pitino can pull this off. I think we are going to be very good next year, but I tend to be optimistic anyway.

I think it's great, this shows CRP still has the fire and wants to win big and the thing I like best is that Calipari doesn't like what he did which shows some concern from slick that we might be a really good team next year.

Reactions: tn00nan
I think it's a risk, sure, but overall a pretty good bet. 5th transfers are just another take on "one-and-done"... which is not a bad thing. They come in, have 1 year to make an impact, then they are gone (NBA., Europe, China, grad school, whatever)... it provides a sense of urgency.

Can Lee, for example, come into a new school, on a much bigger stage, with more pressure, and be THE MAN when it comes to scoring? We won't know until December or January most likely. However, if you are looking to "rent a player" as Coach Ryan says... who do you rent, a HS phenom, a JUCO transfer, or a 5th year? Of those options, seems the 5th year is lowest risk.

Shadow I admit I'm making assumptions on how it played out.

I know he only played those guys around TV time-outs and if he had any desire to keep them around they probably would have gotten a bit more burn.

Either way they are gone he didn't seemed disappointed they seem ready for their next chance so I'm happy for everybody.

I do not understand comments like this is risky or we do not know what we are getting. These guys have played 3 years of college basketball already. That tells us a LOT more than just about any HS recruit. I understand there are questions about how they will fit in, but that is true of anyone coming into a program. I am sure the homework was done in watching film and talking to these guys and their coaches about their attitude and work ethic. I expect them to contribute faster and way more than a college freshman. It does not hurt that we get to take them to Puerto Rico to give us a head start blending them into the program.

I do not understand comments like this is risky or we do not know what we are getting.

I may not have read the entire thread closely, who said it was risky?

I guess you never know what you're getting.

I was specifically stating we don't know what we're getting only because we've never had a 5th yr SR for just one year before. We don't have a sample. We have a good track record with transfers and the NE. We have no track record w/ 5th yr Srs. Now we're bringing in 2 @ the same time to contribute and it's groundbreaking for this program.

I do not understand comments like this is risky or we do not know what we are getting. These guys have played 3 years of college basketball already. That tells us a LOT more than just about any HS recruit. I understand there are questions about how they will fit in, but that is true of anyone coming into a program. I am sure the homework was done in watching film and talking to these guys and their coaches about their attitude and work ethic. I expect them to contribute faster and way more than a college freshman. It does not hurt that we get to take them to Puerto Rico to give us a head start blending them into the program.

What you say is true. Lee and Lewis have a way more proven track record, after 3 years of college basketball played, than a HS freshman. However while the risk may or may not be as great, there is still a risk- and we don't know exactly what we are getting because no one can guarantee team chemistry/play/cohesion etc. I know that is true with any recruit but that doesn't change the fact that Lee and Lewis are coming in to play for one season on a team they've never played on, a coach they've never played for, and with teammates they've never played with before.

So just as you say there isn't really a risk or that we already know what we're getting, you also can't guarantee that everything will be all sunshine and rainbows either. I mean I sincerely hope it is, that this team gels very well, and that they go really far BUT it still remains to be seen and we won't know until the games are played.

However while the risk may or may not be as great, there is still a risk- and we don't know exactly what we are getting because no one can guarantee team chemistry/play/cohesion etc. I know that is true with any recruit but that doesn't change the fact that Lee and Lewis are coming in to play for one season on a team they've never played on, a coach they've never played for, and with teammates they've never played with before.

A agree wholeheartedly! New team, new coach, much bigger stage, and tougher competition. Plus, going from THE BMOC to a role player... major changes. Will they step up? Will they just fill a niche? Will they fizzle out? Hard to say until December/January... I think a 5th year transfer is less risk than a HS player, but they are not without risk.

A agree wholeheartedly! New team, new coach, much bigger stage, and tougher competition. Plus, going from THE BMOC to a role player... major changes. Will they step up? Will they just fill a niche? Will they fizzle out? Hard to say until December/January... I think a 5th year transfer is less risk than a HS player, but they are not without risk.
We will be fine! No worries. These are high caliber 5th year players.

I think Pitino brought these guys in because they can shoot more than anything. We both are tired of watching all those bricks being thrown up last year.

We are looking to replace scoring. Asking guys to come score seems to be the plan with the 5th year guys.
We will be up tempo and use more guys pressing and trapping.

I expect that we will be a better team than most believe. He (Rick) doea not want to slip in any way.

I am hopeful that being able to line up shooters makes life for out bigs easier.

I thought you guys didn't like one and done guys.

I thought you guys didn't like one and done guys.
Ok. These guys have actually attended school and have earned degrees. Do you understand this concept? This is isn't selling out our school for one year basketball players to say they 'went' to UofL. If you can't see the Difference then oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being able to have mature guys help coach up the team. Guys that know what it takes to win... Guys who have the bitter taste of losing to MSTATE and being a free throw away from the final four.

I like the makeup of our 2015-2016 team. What has been missing is players that are a serious threat to hit open shots at a high percentage. We have that now.

We have slashers, and sharp shooters. We also have 25-30 fouls to give at the 5 spot.

If we can get 10 and 10 from the 5 spot a game, we will be a vastly improoved team over last seasons squad.

Lee and Lewis hit more 3's last year than some of our guys attempted. They did that as the bmoc and the guy other teams had to stop.

Imagine what they will do as wide open shooters......

Save up to travel and enjoy this team. Its going to be fun.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT