ADVERTISEMENT

Spring is in the Air

There are several guys that came into a very crowded situation last year that had to sit and watch. Some of these Redshirts are pushing for a spot.
Logan Beard
Isaac Humphries
JT Benson
Drake Wescott
Heading over. I'll try to take better notes today. Too cold yesterday

I finally got to put some names with numbers today for these new arms.
Kade Grundy from Somerset was lights out. It was definitely a pitchers day today. 0-0 after 5.
Another kid from Richmond looked good as well,Jacob Ferris.
Knappy looks the part at Short. He made several nice plays and I expect him to anchor that spot although I did see Metz playing short for the Red team while Braden Anderson and Will Cook were playing 3rd.

How did Benson look?
He is pushing for that 3rd spot in the outfield. He looks good. Basically,Usher and Masterman probably have locked down the other 2,but doesn't mean that they can have the type of seasons they had last season and feel comfortable about keeping them. The right field spot looks like a competition between Benson,Humphries,Seng and Hawkins.
Btw,he's got a new number. He's wearing 13 now. Binelas' old one.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPGhost
He is pushing for that 3rd spot in the outfield. He looks good. Basically,Usher and Masterman probably have locked down the other 2,but doesn't mean that they can have the type of seasons they had last season and feel comfortable about keeping them. The right field spot looks like a competition between Benson,Humphries,Seng and Hawkins.
Btw,he's got a new number. He's wearing 13 now. Binelas' old one.
He’s crazy athletic and a great team guy. Kid is a winner - hope he plays his way into some clock.

Reactions: earsky
Iced out of the park yesterday as the show did go on. We had to watch from left field outside the fence. I stayed long enough to see Poland continue to progress towards a weekend starting spot and Masterman hit a 400 ft blast into the parking lot.
Hopefully we get to go inside today,but I'm thinking not.

Edit: From the time I rode over to Kroger and back they closed the gates😧

#18-Will Koger
Number 1 ranked outfielder out of Carmel Indiana pitching.
Right hander ranked no. 7 as a pitcher in Indiana

Phillips pitching for Red team. Looking good.
Koger has struck out Rushing twice.
Note: Batters starting with 1 strike. Advantage pitchers.

Carson Ligget
Rh pitcher Kansas
#50 Adam Dowler
Lhp out of Illinois
Grundy is#7

Last edited:
There are some impressive Freshmen pitchers out here. Coaching staff really went out and got some good looking prospects.
They are showing really good control in 42 degree weather. I know it's not a real game,still they are probably battling for a spot on the pitching staff this season.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
There are some impressive Freshmen pitchers out here. Coaching staff really went out and got some good looking prospects.
They are showing really good control in 42 degree weather. I know it's not a real game,still they are probably battling for a spot on the pitching staff this season.
I’m usually cautious about preseason baseball. Pitching is almost always ahead of batting because hitters don’t usually get to see a lot of live hitting.

I’m usually cautious about preseason baseball. Pitching is almost always ahead of batting because hitters don’t usually get to see a lot of live hitting.
Probably the wise approach. I was mainly speaking of their control.

Reactions: nccardfan
Let’s face it - our pitchers really struggled finding the strike zone last year and found the meat of the plate too often. Consistent pitching will go a loooooong way in winning many games.

Reactions: earsky
#1 Jacob Ferris
Rh pitcher from Richmond Ky

#36 Kyle Walter
6'5" Righty juco transfer

Last edited:
Has Seed gotten on the mound yet?
Left after 6 yesterday and early Sunday,but no not yet. Haven't seen him at all yet.
Could've missed him last weekend or this series of scrimmages. Hopefully today.

Just to kinda follow up on my point about the rookie arms coming into the program that I've seen so far this season.
I have seen a lot of our veterans struggling with finding the zone out there in the past weeks. I won't name the guys,but by comparison there have been several in this 2021 class of pitchers that have shown quite the opposite.
It's very refreshing to see after what we saw last season. It is too early to tell how good they'll be or if they contribute a lot this season,but they are passing the eye test with me so far.
Getting ahead in the count,command of off speed pitches and throwing those off speed pitches for strikes. Genuinely impressive.
I saw another today,the second time I've seen Jacob Ferris. He is a transfer from EKU I think. He's out of the 18 class so he's probably 22 years old.
I hope they're able to contribute because I think we all know you never have enough quality depth pitching.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT