ADVERTISEMENT

Spring is in the Air

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Yes I know we've got snow possibly coming but the Boys of Summer are at it over on 3rd and Central.
Stopped over to watch some batting practice today. Nothing like the sound of batting practice.
It's right around the corner and I can't wait.
Lots of new faces from a fairly high ranked class promise to make it interesting with the competition for swings.

Reactions: Bardman
Logan Beard - 2B/Dh
Braden Andersen- IF/OF
Noah Smith - SS/2B
Isaac Humphries- RF
Brandon Calise -IF
Eddie King Jr-OF
Drake Wescott- 1B
Will Cook- Everywhere

Humphries and Beard are 2nd year guys that we will see on the field a lot.
Beard probably will split time at 2nd and DH, Humphries in RF with probably Hawkins.

Unranked, young, perhaps technically rebuilding, after a non postseason last year, it's shaping up to be season where the Cards have a lot to prove.

I think that these Redshirts and true Frosh will have to play significant roles for this team to achieve at the highest level.
As is the case most seasons under CM,the two,three and more year guys will probably get the nod opening day.
I do think that there are several spots where the youngsters will be playing early with a chance to see more regular time.
Honestly,besides Usher and Metzinger,we could see serious competition at a lot of the other spots.
I think Peyton will probably be catching for 2 of the 3 weekend games,kinda going back to the way it was pre Henry Davis.
Rushing will probably be in the lineup somewhere most of the time. Wescott and Cook are both guys that are physically ready to step in at the 1B/DH positions.

Don’t see it as a rebuilding year. I think they will be fine. Plenty of tools in tool chest. Last year’s pitching staff was a mess between injuries (main issue) and inconsistencies. They should be right back where they belong somewhere in the top 15.

It was good to bring in a strong class to add to what's here,based solely off of the way the season ended for Usher,Masterman and Rushing.

Looking forward to, and patiently waiting for, the 2022 roster to drop. College baseball has always piqued my interest when it comes to the final roster. You can be on the team, but it doesn't mean you'll make the final roster.

Reading my mind. I stopped over today for a few minutes. I was thinking the same thing as I watched infield practice with 4 guys at 1st and about 5 splitting up 2nd and short.
Next break in the cold I'm calling baseball season. Lol

Didn't see Knapczyk on the field yesterday. Hope he's okay to go in a few weeks.

Looking forward to, and patiently waiting for, the 2022 roster to drop. College baseball has always piqued my interest when it comes to the final roster. You can be on the team, but it doesn't mean you'll make the final roster.
I went back and counted 47 on the 2021 roster. Gotta believe that most of the position players have been decided on.
There are probably a lot of arms that have to be sorted out this late before the release? Idk

I went back and counted 47 on the 2021 roster. Gotta believe that most of the position players have been decided on.
There are probably a lot of arms that have to be sorted out this late before the release? Idk
Well, after what we saw from the bullpen last year, I hope Mac takes all the time he needs to sort things out, despite my strong interest in seeing the updated roster.

Reactions: earsky
Do you have any information about the status of Luke Seed?
No. My contact person no longer works where I used to see them so I haven’t been able to ask.

I just checked another source and it appears he will be on the spring roster so I am assuming he skipped surgery and should be good to go this spring.

Last edited:
No. My contact person no longer works where I used to see them so I haven’t been able to ask.

I just checked another source and it appears he will be on the spring roster so I am assuming he skipped surgery and should be good to go this spring.
Well,assuming Luke is not ready, Lohman,Poland and Kuehner look like the weekend guys going in.
I would think that Corbett will be our late closer.

Reactions: CardX
Knappy back. They're practicing in the snow.
That's when you know it's close. Love it!
Calise, Smith and Beard taking ground balls at 2nd.
Knappy and #4 are taking them at Short.
Not sure who that is but he is about 6'2"

Do you live close to Patterson? How do you know when they are practicing or is it your secret? 😉 Are you going to baseball dinner tonight? It’s my first one so I’m a little pumped!

• Haha
Do you live close to Patterson? How do you know when they are practicing or is it your secret? 😉 Are you going to baseball dinner tonight? It’s my first one so I’m a little pumped!
Man that sounds like fun. I am not going.
I do live kinda close and have had some free time lately.
No ancient Chinese secret,but if they do practice it's usually around the same time.

I believe #4 is Kurtis Reid. I would hope to see Noah Smith get a shot at SS too. I also spoke to Luke Seed at the poster signing. He said he would be ready to go on opening day.

Well,assuming Luke is not ready, Lohman,Poland and Kuehner look like the weekend guys going in.
I would think that Corbett will be our late closer.
I believe Ryan Hawks will be in the running for a weekend starter and maybe Will Kroger.

I believe #4 is Kurtis Reid. I would hope to see Noah Smith get a shot at SS too. I also spoke to Luke Seed at the poster signing. He said he would be ready to go on opening day.
So with Smith and Reid we've picked up the highest rated shortstops in Illinois and Ohio?
Great to hear about Seed.

More good news about Seed.
Wow,if everybody is healthy,which I know is a long shot,there are a lot of battle tested arms rounding out this pitching staff.
I do expect to see Poland move into one of those weekend spots. He looked really good in the Fall.

There are a couple of scrimmages slated for tomorrow and Monday I think.
I thought I saw noon tomorrow and 2 o'clock on Monday.

Reactions: nccardfan
I figured Knapp would have SS locked, given how much experience he gained, and how much he played.

I figured Knapp would have SS locked, given how much experience he gained, and how much he played.
Yeah I agree
I think it's his to lose,but there are some talented newcomers nipping at his heels.
CDM kinda gave him the reins last season. I would expect that his baptism by fire last season has worked to his advantage coming in to this one.

Kinda curious to see the lineups today and other than spotting some guys who've been hurt,my primary reason for going over.
Might get a sneak preview of the opening day lineup.

I think it’s his bat that will keep him in the lineup. Being able to stay consistently above .300 and being able to make contact will keep on the field. I think his arm strength is more suited to 2nd.

Reactions: shutterbug
I think it’s his bat that will keep him in the lineup. Being able to stay consistently above .300 and being able to make contact will keep on the field. I think his arm strength is more suited to 2nd.
Let's hope he has improved that arm strength 💪
His range has to be the only reason for not being at 2nd.

Gonna be hard to keep Logan Beard off the field. He continues to impress going back to Fall Ball.
Triples in the first at bat off Poland,just missing a dinger.
He will probably be at 2nd base opening day.

Lots of new faces on the mound. I'm sure some are battling for those last couple spots on the roster.

Hawkins,Benson and Humphries battling for the right field spot.
Blanco playing 1st for the Red team,Cook playing first for the black.

Rushing and Peyton catching. Little bird over there tells me there's a real battle at that spot. Of course,I fully expect to see Rushing in the lineup somewhere.

Eddie King Jr broke his leg at some point. Probably out for the season.
Knappy and Smith playing the ss positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT