ADVERTISEMENT

Rain in Tallahassee

I hope they can dig in and get back in this one. Defining time maybe.

Just tuned in and…yep, guys getting smoked again. Very disappointing.

Dude for FSU has 4 RBI's in this game and he had 4 total for the season.

Then you have the Cards once again embarrassing themselves defensively, the latest being Beard at 2nd base not catching the ball on the stolen base.

FSU is so much more focused than Louisville and now they're confident while the Cards are tentative. There's usually a road series each season like this where you lose two or all three games. FSU may be that series this year.

Like the .167 UNC guy who just blasted UL in that first game. Beard, to me, has been suspect (like Knap) all year long.

I think this team is only a few players from being a World Series contender.

They have a very strong middle lineup that can put up crooked numbers.

Metzinger, Masterman, Rushing, Payton

They have some great contact hitters with Knap and Beard and always the potential of Levi Usher.

Bianco is having a career year and Humphrey has a nice left-handed bat.

They have a top end closer and a bevy of talented but erratic arms after him.

If this line-up was backed up with top level defense and two ace like starters, I believe this team could have what it takes. You know, like the past world series Cards teams?

Unfortunately, this is the worst defense I've seen in the McDonnell era. It also may be the worst baserunning team as well. The Cards are very suspect and weak up the middle. The corners is just as weak except at third base. Metzinger is great.

Usher in centerfield is top level but the corner outfield is average at best. Not very strong arms and struggles with fly balls. Masterman has made some awesome diving catches but he's allowed several fy balls to drop in front of him.

Its a shame because this team is close. If Poland and Phillips can pitch even better and somehow the defense doesn't kill them, they may see Omaha.

Reactions: Deeva
Just look at last night’s top 25 game; UL is not alone. For example, just in the ACC, UVA lost last night, and both ND and Miami lost Thursday and Friday night,

TCU beat #4 TT twice this weekend and #1 Tennessee lost, DBU twice, Arizona lost, LSU lost, UF lost, Ole Miss lost, #7 TX lost, Gonzaga lost.

I believe Miami gave up almost 30 runs against VT a in their 2 losses ……. Parity is college baseball is increasing and there are no easy series and very few easy weekday games anymore.

This UL team has some flaws, but so does everyone else.

Reactions: Deeva and Bardman
Just look at last night’s top 25 game; UL is not alone. For example, just in the ACC, UVA lost last night, and both ND and Miami lost Thursday and Friday night,

TCU beat #4 TT twice this weekend and #1 Tennessee lost, DBU twice, Arizona lost, LSU lost, UF lost, Ole Miss lost, #7 TX lost, Gonzaga lost.

I believe Miami gave up almost 30 runs against VT a in their 2 losses ……. Parity is college baseball is increasing and there are no easy series and very few easy weekday games anymore.

This UL team has some flaws, but so does everyone else.
Yeah,it's gonna be about getting hot at the right time. The team also has to realize that they are usually the highlighted series on a lot of opposing teams' schedules.
Somebody said it earlier about intensity and focus. There seems to me that there's a real lack of both and that is something that can be addressed quickly.
Usually,as with the pitchers,you juggle things a bit,just to get somebody's attention. At least that's how it used to be done back in the old days. Lol

Guess everyone is tired of watching poor Cardinals baseball. 😢 another starter and another poor outing

And another obvious replay that still goes against the Cards. That obstruction call at 2nd base was the worst I've ever seen. It's unreal what UofL sports has to go through since joining the ACC.

Reactions: Bardman
Sort of garage. All on runner interference by Beard. Our batters really need to swing into the pitches. Too many Ks while swinging wildly at bad pitches.

Guess everyone is tired of watching poor Cardinals baseball. 😢 another starter and another poor outing
Pitching and defense is not at Louisville baseball standards. Pitchers are young so there's hope but McDonnell might need to start taking transfers to fill some holes.

And once again an error, this time on Metzinger. What! They ruled that a double? What the hell! Big time corruption with the official scorer in this series for FSU.

Sort of garage. All on runner interference by Beard. Our batters really need to swing into the pitches. Too many Ks while swinging wildly at bad pitches.
I'm following the score,but I'm in the middle of grandkids baseball. I keep waiting for this group to show signs of life.
Time for the leaders on this team to take over.

It's crazy how FSU keeps fouling off 2 strike pitches. This series has been so one sided with the Cards looking at times like a HS team and FSU looking like the best team in the country.

This series against FSU is the same as Notre Dame's series was against Louisville. The home team was motivated against the highly ranked team who was not prepared mentally for it.

Here we go again with obstruction on the bases and the Cards may get screwed again. It's unreal. Payton didn't obstruct the plate until he received the ball.

Glad we got that call. Mentioned swinging into the pitch earlier…Humphrey and Jack both do that very well.

Hate to use the cheesy cliche but this series is looking like "It's not in the Cards".

I'm thinking we're going to need a Easter weekend miracle to avoid a sweep. It just looks like everything is going the Seminoles way.

Agreed. And, on que…random dude hits his first HR of the season against us. Then Beard makes a horrible throwing error.

It's been very hard to stomach watching these three games. I know the announcers are FSU hacks but they're terrible. Just another annoying thing with these three games. Hopefully we will see these chumps in the ACC tournament.

Dude blew a kiss to Beard as he rounded 2nd base. In the majors, that earns you a brush back.
And the thing is he wasn't knocked to the ground on that play at 2nd base. He was barely clipped and it was his momentum that carried him to the ground. The throw wasn't off either as it was a bang bang play at first.

The dude was whining and he was barely touched and now he's pulling shit like winking at Beard. I know McDonnell won't allow it but this dude's next at bat he should get a fastball in his hip.

And why was FSU's coach allowed to scream at the home plate umps strike zone? I'm not liking any of this 3 game series and not just the losing.

Why can’t Knap throw the ball to 1B?
Because he has a weak arm. He has the weakest arm at shortstop I've seen at this level of baseball. He's best suited as a second basemen and if he ever plans to play professional baseball, it will not be at SS.

The pitching just isn’t good enough and then top it off with bad fielding. Hard to win games against good teams.

Bats will come and go. Good pitching limits good hitting.

They scored 9 runs today and lost. That should be plenty of runs.

And bad at bats too. Time to shake up the lineup for sure.
Bianco followed by Knap is a bad combination. Both are up a lot with ducks on the pond and one is a complete mistake hitter and the other a slap hitter. Needless to say, there's a lot of stranded runners.

Maybe this sweep will convince McDonnell to make some adjustments? I have had a couple different lineups I would like to see but this one I believe would be the better.

1. Usher
2. Beard
3. Metzinger
4. Rushing
5. Payton
6. Masterman
7. Knapcyzk
8. Bianco
9. Humphrey

Usher is the fastest runner and has the power to lead off a game with a home run. Beard is a great contact hitter which is needed at the 2 spot.

Metzinger should have been hitting 3rd all season making the middle of the order 3 to 6 one of the best in college baseball. McDonnell could adjust who bats cleanup based on if it's a lefty or righty starting pitcher.

I think Humphrey is the better of the 7 to 9 hitters so I like him hitting 9th against right handers and have Bianco batting in the 9 hole against south paws. Knap is better suited near the bottom of the order. I could see him batting 2nd if the leadoff hitter bats right handed but don't know who that would be. Maybe Benson?

As for the starting rotation, there's really not much McDonnell can do. None of them are a #1 ace type starter. Poland is the best and should be the Friday starter.

Frustrating series. I really, really disliked the passive aggressive commentary by the ACCTV crew. I know they were FSU guys, but that was super not fun to listen to for three straight games. I miss a natural grass field. The digital sign behind FSU’s home plate is stupid. FSU players are mouthy. Mouthy! It was a huge series for them, you could tell. They came ready to play, and talk. Cards didn’t get humbled. They got humiliated. Regroup, get better, move on. Strange season all around college baseball.

Reactions: earsky
It was a huge series for them, you could tell.
This seems to be the case in a lot of these series. It comes with the success of the program. The Cards need to grow a chip on their shoulders and answer the challenge.

Bats will come and go. Good pitching limits good hitting.

They scored 9 runs today and lost. That should be plenty of runs.
I was thinking in particular about the 3-4 spots in the lineup. Three for 21 this weekend.
I swear I'm not trying to sound harsh or pick on anybody,but we've seen this sinking ship before.

Bianco followed by Knap is a bad combination. Both are up a lot with ducks on the pond and one is a complete mistake hitter and the other a slap hitter. Needless to say, there's a lot of stranded runners.

Maybe this sweep will convince McDonnell to make some adjustments? I have had a couple different lineups I would like to see but this one I believe would be the better.

1. Usher
2. Beard
3. Metzinger
4. Rushing
5. Payton
6. Masterman
7. Knapcyzk
8. Bianco
9. Humphrey

Usher is the fastest runner and has the power to lead off a game with a home run. Beard is a great contact hitter which is needed at the 2 spot.

Metzinger should have been hitting 3rd all season making the middle of the order 3 to 6 one of the best in college baseball. McDonnell could adjust who bats cleanup based on if it's a lefty or righty starting pitcher.

I think Humphrey is the better of the 7 to 9 hitters so I like him hitting 9th against right handers and have Bianco batting in the 9 hole against south paws. Knap is better suited near the bottom of the order. I could see him batting 2nd if the leadoff hitter bats right handed but don't know who that would be. Maybe Benson?

As for the starting rotation, there's really not much McDonnell can do. None of them are a #1 ace type starter. Poland is the best and should be the Friday starter.
You really answered your own question in that last paragraph. We don’t have a true ace for Friday so we throw a guy who can compete and hopefully our bats win the game. Then you go with Poland and hopefully go up 2-0 in series. If you go with Poland Friday night, no guarantee he gets a win against their ace and you increase chances of getting swept. With Poland in the middle you’re likely either 1-1 or 2-0. At least I think that’s the reasoning with what we have now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT