ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino was right.

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Before the 2nd half started Pitino complained about the refs and he is right. There's just nothing that can be done to ever change that. A visiting team has to play lights out to win in Rupp. In a close game where both teams dive for balls, the foul is going to be on the visiting team. When both teams drive to the goal, the fouls are going to be on the visiting team. It's just the way it is.

Let me ask you this then. When UK plays at Yum do you anticipate a bunch of bad officiating putting the Cats in a hole? Do you worry about your best post player getting two fouls in the first five minutes? Do you worry that the Cards are going to shoot double the FT's? Admit it. Rupp arena is a great advantage.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Cards were first to the bonus in both halves despite a lot of jump shooting from both teams. It got a bit scrappy. Honestly, I thought the refs only missed a few blatant calls here and there and misfired on both Techs.

So Louisville shoots double bonus with 6:28 left and Kentucky's not even in the bonus and Kentucky had home court advantage?
Screenshot_2015-12-26-14-08-30-1-1_zpsoikfsnr0.png

When you commit a foul, it needs to be called. The refs were fine except the last 5 or 6 mins of the first half. Unfortunately, that portion was a travesty for Louisville, and the difference of the game. Some things never change...winning in Rupp Arena is a very, very difficult thing to do for obvious reasons.

Reactions: JohnCard28
There were some terrible lack of calls and some terrible calls which DID affect UofL in the fist half big time. How could anyone see it differently. Did could wind up being fairly even - sure. But UK made plenty of contact on their defensive end without being called for it - Which I would say some of it was fine. But those same defensive plays were being called on us. Bottomline - too many dead eye threes by UK and too many poorly executed offensive plays by UofL.

I started this thread at halftime and it was the officiating in the first half that I was referring to. Yes, once UK got up by 16 in the 2nd half, the refs then started to even out the fouling. Some of this was because UK relaxed a little. I never said the refs are biased or have some agenda. My point is that at Rupp when both teams are being physical, the calls go UK's way. There is no denying that.

The game started and Onuaku got two BS fouls in the first 5 minutes. I saw many moving screens the rest of the game on both sides not get called. But those refs knew to look for Onuaku and both times he tried to screen they blew the whistle. At one point in the first half UK had a 18 to 8 advantage in made FT's and that last three minutes of the half were really bad. Stockman was fouled on his dunk attempt. UK player had the ball but he also had the Cards player entire arm. No way would there have been no whistle if that was a UK player being fouled on a dunk.

UK always has a home court advantage at Rupp and when it matters in a close game, they get the benefit of the whistle. UK fans know this. The coaches know it. The media knows it.

But, Louisville still could have won the game but missed FT's and bad turnovers cost the victory. But there's no doubt in my mind had Onuaku not been sent to the bench with those two BS fouls, the outcome would have been different.

So Louisville shoots double bonus with 6:28 left and Kentucky's not even in the bonus and Kentucky had home court advantage?
Screenshot_2015-12-26-14-08-30-1-1_zpsoikfsnr0.png

Reactions: Deeva
Crazy take to me. With the hard nosed defense UL plays, there is no way refs were in UK's corner with only a 2 foul differential. If it were 10 or more you would have a point.

I thought Lee tried to "avoid" contact too much which is why he didn't get those calls and led to off balance bad shots. But with us in the double bonus, why would he try an off balanced 30 ft shot instead of going to the rim??

Reactions: Deeva
There was a lot of make up calls in this game. Every time Louisville would get a call Cal would complain and then UK would get a make up call. Still a great game for the Cards. If it's at the Yum Center or on a neutral court we win.

Call it even throughout the game, Cards win by 6+

3 times Lee drove and shot, no call.
Thats 6 FTA, and 3 potential fouls on Scat.

Same manure-different year........
Kerry we both expected this, and said as much before the game was ever played. I'm not upset about it because I had already accepted it before the first jump ball. It is what it is.

The Cardinals played thru the BS and made it a game. They showed a lot of heart and determination to NOT lay down. Most teams that run into that in Rupp usually lay down and get rolled by 20+. Our guys did not. They fought back and actually had a chance to win the game on the last possession of the game.

UofK earned the win by hitting some outstanding well contested 3 point shots in spite of not hitting them all season long. I tip my hat to them and congratulate them for doing that. That wasn't the refs. That was just great offense beating great defense. They won't shoot that well against a better defensive team for the rest of the season.

The non calls in the first half were simply abysmal. The Murray pass to himself late in the game was laughable. There were a few that went in UofL's favor too, but it wasn't anywhere near 40-60 like I had hoped it would be. It was closer to 85-15 in UofK's favor and that along with the outstanding 3 point shooting by UofK is why they won.

Hopefully both teams can get healthy and meet up again in the NCAA tourney. A neutral court game would be a better outcome for the Cards IMO.

The officiating was so bad the KY fans in my section were even saying it was bad. I know we came out ahead in the foul department but it sure seemed like we called for a lot of those little touch fouls 60 and 90 feet from the basket. That's ok though we still played hard and had a chance to win. I hope we get another shot at them in the tournament. If we do we will win by at least 10.

It was expected Cue.

It was a combination of one sided refs, tight players,and Coach Pitino also tightening
up.

Should have never came down to a last second shot. Im upset with ALL losses.
Winning at COruppT sets you up with a number one seed by winning the ACC.

The zone is what he likes. He's going to live and die with it.

Bottom line, as proven anually ; they outcoach and outplay the Cards. Fact.

Reactions: Cue Card
There was a lot of make up calls in this game. Every time Louisville would get a call Cal would complain and then UK would get a make up call. Still a great game for the Cards. If it's at the Yum Center or on a neutral court we win.
More makeup calls in one game both ways than I can remember in my lifetime IMO. Refs looked like youth league refs being manipulated by two HOF manipulators.

Hats off to the Cats. Their 3-shooting and our poor play late 1st half and early 2nd were too much to overcome today.

Reactions: yum center

You do realize that last year UK was called for 20 fouls and UL 16 right? This year was even closer. No, it was not the refs.

Reactions: DeadAhead
I understand disagreeing with a call or thinking a few bad calls may have led to a loss on a rare occasion; but I hope we at least leave the referee conspiracy hand-wringing and whining to UK fans, because it really identifies an extremely ignorant fan - and UK has a whole bunch of them. They obsess over the referees in every game and proudly like to show that they know the names of each one as it spews from their mouth (or keyboard) with obvious disgust. They even come up with nicknames for them that all the other nut jobs in their club use. And these idiots believe that each referee is more biased against UK than the last - with all of them being out to get UK as their prime mission in life.

Reactions: Steelers2012
All the tic tac fouls are being called in every game in collage basketball. With the new emphasis on free movement for the ball handler it really creates a lot of calls that fans are not use to. I've seen some games where fifty or more fouls are called creating a slow, boring game dictated by the officials. Which is the opposite of what the rule is suppose to do which is open up the offense.

Players are driving the lane for more lay ups because they can draw the foul easier then before. When a player is dribbling the ball he is suppose to have free uninpeded movement.

Gona become a four quarter pro style game with little defense until the closing minutes

Why you UK fans keep harping on the final fouls total are purposely ignoring the point of this thread. I know you have seen enough games to know what I'm saying. When the game was close and both teams were physical, the home team had the advantage with the whistles. It was Lewis who had four fouls. It was Onuaku who got two early fouls. Ulis, Murray or Poythrese never had that problem did they?

Translation

Had UofL pulled off the upset, Scat fans would blamed the refs.
Ulis wasnt benched with two fouls. Onuaku, Luke, Trez, Wayne, David, Herb were.

Reactions: earsky
It was expected Cue.

It was a combination of one sided refs, tight players,and Coach Pitino also tightening
up.

Should have never came down to a last second shot. Im upset with ALL losses.
Winning at COruppT sets you up with a number one seed by winning the ACC.

The zone is what he likes. He's going to live and die with it.

Bottom line, as proven anually ; they outcoach and outplay the Cards. Fact.

U of L was in the bonus first both halves so not buying it. Do agree that Pitino tightening up kills U of L every year. What was the FT disparity? Number of fouls? Pretty much even for both sides. Look at the screen shot above with U of L in double bonus and UK not even in the bonus. Nuff said.

U of L was in the bonus first both halves so not buying it. Do agree that Pitino tightening up kills U of L every year. What was the FT disparity? Number of fouls? Pretty much even for both sides. Look at the screen shot above with U of L in double bonus and UK not even in the bonus. Nuff said.
Again with this nonsense. It's a purposely denial of the point. Have you ever watched a football game where at the end the flags were about the same for each team, but the key holding and interference calls went against the road team?

The officiating was so bad the KY fans in my section were even saying it was bad. I know we came out ahead in the foul department but it sure seemed like we called for a lot of those little touch fouls 60 and 90 feet from the basket. That's ok though we still played hard and had a chance to win. I hope we get another shot at them in the tournament. If we do we will win by at least 10.
I'll take that bet. In fact, anyone that would give either team 10 points or more I'd take the bet. Game is just about always close whether at Rupp, Yum or neutral. Which team is ranked higher doesn't seem to matter either.

Again with this nonsense. It's a purposely denial of the point. Have you ever watched a football game where at the end the flags were about the same for each team, but the key holding and interference calls went against the road team?

Played 9 times, half at your place and half at Rupp with a couple of NCAA games on neutral court. So you are saying the refs are nailing U of L at home and neutral sites as well? Since Cal and Rick have squared off the tally is Kentucky 8 and U of L 1. We are told U of L has better players, better program, better coach, better facilities so why the huge disparity in the series all time and recently?

Played 9 times, half at your place and half at Rupp with a couple of NCAA games on neutral court. So you are saying the refs are nailing U of L at home and neutral sites as well? Since Cal and Rick have squared off the tally is Kentucky 8 and U of L 1. We are told U of L has better players, better program, better coach, better facilities so why the huge disparity in the series all time and recently?
There is no debate which team has had the better players since Cal took over. Many of UK's recent wins had enough to do with officiating. I'm not arguing that UofL was better than UK these past several years. My point is the games at Rupp arena. What happened today was typical and you know it. If Ulis got two fouls in the first five minutes and had to sit and Murray had to play with four fouls the last part of the 2nd half that would not have been typical.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
There is no debate which team has had the better players since Cal took over. Many of UK's recent wins had enough to do with officiating. I'm not arguing that UofL was better than UK these past several years. My point is the games at Rupp arena. What happened today was typical and you know it. If Ulis got two fouls in the first five minutes and had to sit and Murray had to play with four fouls the last part of the 2nd half that would not have been typical.

Remember one key point. Pitino used to coach here and we know his style very well. He coaches his teams to be physical - to push, shove, grab... whatever you can get away with. If the refs call it he has a hard time, but if not and they get turnovers and easy buckets it is hard to beat. We saw it here for years, and it is a smart style to teach - just have to be prepared for when it does not.

Saw it all too many times and it is the truth with his teams. They usually win big or lose tight games. It was that way when he was at UK.

Murray drove down and went for a dunk with plenty of contact and no foul. You can find missed fouls in any basketball game ever, and on both sides. The fact that Lee got to the line 10 times and U of L spent much of the 2nd half in the bonus--I think it was pretty even.

Always quick to blame the Refs, you guys act like Onauaku never gets in foul trouble. Look at your stats, You foul a lot, you were called for about the same number of fouls as any game you all play in.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadAhead
Translation

Had UofL pulled off the upset, Scat fans would blamed the refs.
Ulis wasnt benched with two fouls. Onuaku, Luke, Trez, Wayne, David, Herb were.
The refs did not bench them. RP did. He " hates losing to that team". Maybe he should try some different strategy if his guys get early fouls. Or try some different approaches that will keep his future NBA players in the game.

Why you UK fans keep harping on the final fouls total are purposely ignoring the point of this thread. I know you have seen enough games to know what I'm saying. When the game was close and both teams were physical, the home team had the advantage with the whistles. It was Lewis who had four fouls. It was Onuaku who got two early fouls. Ulis, Murray or Poythrese never had that problem did they?
As for my opinion I was just referencing collage basketball in general. The officials are imposing the new emphasis and you either have high scoring games or foul plagued games that are not fun to watch.

Until coaches and players adjust the officials will rule. The player with the ball has to have free movement. So hand checks, hip checks and any physical action that impedes free movement that was not called as frequently in the past is being called more frequently this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT