ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino should resign

^^^^^
This. Plus I think the decision to have the press conference today was calculated. It's the Friday before the Super Bowl and no national radio shows are even talking about it.

If Ramsey and Jurich took this drastic action, it means to me that something really ugly went on and cannot be sugar coated. When the report is finalized and released I think what we all hoped did not happen actually did and then some.

Which raises the question, is it Rick's last season as the Louisville head coach?

^^What other penalties do you think will happen?
I have no idea, but you don't self imposed a post season ban unless it is a major violation(s).

The only NCAA violation that was ever an issue was the money changing hands. 'We know that the money reportedly that changed hands isn't really significant. That basically boils down to a $5,000, which is peanuts in college sports today. Is that really enough to self impose a post season ban?

The other issue that hasn't been verified is who is Coach Mike. Was another coach involved is that coach still on staff? That would be a institutional control issue.

Something doesn't add up with what has been reported to happen.

Reactions: awf
I have no idea, but you don't self imposed a post season ban unless it is a major violation(s).

The only NCAA violation that was ever an issue was the money changing hands. 'We know that the money reportedly that changed hands isn't really significant. That basically boils down to a $5,000, which is peanuts in college sports today. Is that really enough to self impose a post season ban?

The other issue that hasn't been verified is who is Coach Mike. Was another coach involved is that coach still on staff? That would be a institutional control issue.

Something doesn't add up with what has been reported to happen.
This will be a tricky situation, the admittance of a Coaching staff member (Magee) being involved makes this a hard hill to climb, probably Pitino resigning instead of the post season ban would have been a better show of cleaning up the mess and possibly saving tbe banner.

That is apples and oranges comparing the situations of Lee/Lewis to King. King is still in high school. He could go to a different school next year. Yes, he might be disappointed, but that is the only impact. For Lee/Lewis, they are done. They have no more eligibility. They came to Louisville for one year with the hope of NCAA glory. Now they don't even get to play in the ACC tourney.

Get lost clown

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
Post season ban at this point is wrong on so many levels. The bottom line this isn't in the best interest of the University because the University is its students. They threw their students under the bus.

The proper way to handle it is notify the NCAA that you are aware and verified a serious violation(s). The University is prepared to do a post season ban once the report is released. We ask that you allow all the student athletes impacted to transfer with no penalty. Done, yes the basketball team will suck for a couple of year but the players that are on the team made a decision to stay or come to the school.

I personally could care less about the post season ban but for those students athletes this is just wrong.

Reactions: wellnow
I hope that we have coach until the water is less murky, I don't want any other coach trying to coach up a team made up primarily of 3 and 4 stars.

It's always the players that pay the price. Pitino and Ramsey make millions. The Compliance Head makes high six figures. And the players get screwed.

Reactions: SoulSr
Get over it people...STOP Worrying about, and Pointing Fingers at other Universities...UK, UNC etc...for Cheating...An EX Louisville Player on the Louisville Coaching Staff thought he could cheat to get players to Louisvile...The University of Louisville IS RESPONSIBLE for his actions...The Punishment is JUST for the University...REGARDLESS of the Student Athletes that had NOTHING to do with it!!!

Be Disappointed for Lee, Lewis and the rest of the team...Be PISSED off at Magee...But ACCEPT the FACTS...Magee CHEATED, and Louisville is RESPONSIBLE for his CHEATING...I DON'T Like it either...But I Will NOT CONDONE Cheating from ANYONE at UofL...MAYBE Jurich, Pitino and Ramsey should ALL Resign as well!!!

:cool:

Fine the university, don't affect kids who had nothing to do with it, I don't see how it's not that simple. Those who were involved are getting away untouched regardless. This is the epitome of stupid.

Reactions: SoulSr
If Ramsey and Jurich took this drastic action, it means to me that something really ugly went on and cannot be sugar coated. When the report is finalized and released I think what we all hoped did not happen actually did and then some.
I fear you're 100% on the mark. And a lot of this will make sense. But I do believe Ramsey jumped the gun.

Jumped the gun? They were notified of at least one major infraction. The clock started ticking right then. Uh... We are going to wait until it has all been disclosed, in the meantime keep acting like nothing has happened. I'm sure that attitude would go a long way.

Coach Mike is coach Balado and is currently on staff. Don't know his involvement.
The "coach mike" stuff was in the book. It's who McGee supposedly said he had to call to come up with more cash.
Coach Mike was also the lead recruiter for the Blakeney kid. That would be the same Blakeney kid who was set up with Powell's daughter (while his "guardian" was in the other room with Powell) 6 months AFTER McGee had left for UMKC.

The student athletes, most of whom had nothing to do with this, are served up as the sacrificial lambs. Just to protect Pitino and Jurich. UL's self imposed penalty should have been to fire Jurich and Pitino. Do that and then wait and see what the NCAA has to say. At least that way these kids would be able to have a post season.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to be the end of the penalties. Whatever they found or verified led to a really quick decision on the post season ban. It had to be significant to make this decision.

It is actually comical that Louisville is self imposing a penalty and they received no players from the events that created the violation....brilliant!
One aspect that people are forgetting about is the ongoing police investigations that have been underway.

Police agencies investigate quicker then the NCAA does. Maybe the reason for the faster conclusions and actions being taken.

Criminal issues change the way people respond espically when the facts have been uncovered by the police and they tend to cover their own.

If the university uncovered enough evidence to do this then they should take that evidence to the authorities and let responsible parties face real legal ramifications for laws that were broken. If that evidence wasn't found they just pleaded guilty to violations that might not have actually occurred.

That is apples and oranges comparing the situations of Lee/Lewis to King. King is still in high school. He could go to a different school next year. Yes, he might be disappointed, but that is the only impact. For Lee/Lewis, they are done. They have no more eligibility. They came to Louisville for one year with the hope of NCAA glory. Now they don't even get to play in the ACC tourney.
Mark this date on your calendar... I agree with a slapd!ck.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Reactions: -BBH-
The student athletes, most of whom had nothing to do with this, are served up as the sacrificial lambs. Just to protect Pitino and Jurich. UL's self imposed penalty should have been to fire Jurich and Pitino. Do that and then wait and see what the NCAA has to say. At least that way these kids would be able to have a post season.
Thanks, buster. Can't wait for your 2nd post or your upgrade to 4.0...

Reactions: awf and baseonballs
I have no idea, but you don't self imposed a post season ban unless it is a major violation(s)...
Yeah, I wish I could believe that even though I don't want violations to be worse. If I was dealing with Jurich alone, I'd have a lot of confidence in the decision. These other guys, not so much...

I don't care if he knew or not. Happened on his watch.

Oh, knuckle.............maybe it's reached the stage that it's worse for the whole university if Pitino stays. Might just have to start new. I don't think Pintino knew about any of this. Do you think a coach, or parent, knows every minute what an 18 or 20 year old is doing?

Pitino can coach. I wish this team could finish the year out. There doing some great things.

At the same time, I guess that's why Calipari left U Mass and Memphis and 2 final fours were vacated at those schools? The NCAA rules have changed. I coach can be suspended even if there is no evidence that they new nothing about it. Cal would have been suspended back then. The rules have changed.

I guess Jim Boeheim at Syracuse, or any other coach, that is suspended even if they didn't know about what was going on when a rule was violated, should resign?

The NCAA has never been about the student athlete if it was it would never penalize students that had nothing to do with the violations. I absolutely agree the offending parties need to be held accountable as well as the university. At no point should athletes that had nothing to do with a violation be penalized.

I agree entirely. The NCAA is BIG BUSINESS and about money. Almost every decision they make can be traced back to money, not the "student athlete." Sad 2 good kids like Lewis and Lee get the brunt of this. The NCAA does this a lot.

...It is actually comical that Louisville is self imposing a penalty and they received no players from the events that created the violation....brilliant!
That's not comical, it's a highly relevant point. In fact, I'd have used it as a basis to question the "impermissible benefit" element.

That would have been, of course, had we not fallen on our sword...

You have missed the statement regarding future recruits AND current or past players. This leads me to believe that there is some truth regarding possibly some players last year (rozier and Harrell) and possibly at least 1 current player on the roster now.

That's not comical, it's a highly relevant point. In fact, I'd have used it as a basis to question the "impermissible benefit" element.

But the allegations implicate other recruits and players, including guys like Harrell and Rozier, so the "impermissible benefits" element would still be an issue, and likely is the key issue going forward (and, of course, the type of impermissible benefit in this case is what makes this situation unique and colors the entire conversation).

But the allegations implicate other recruits and players, including guys like Harrell and Rozier, so the "impermissible benefits" element would still be an issue, and likely is the key issue going forward (and, of course, the type of impermissible benefit in this case is what makes this situation unique and colors the entire conversation).
Fine, but the issue today is the appropriateness of a self imposed ban. That petty stuff stuff you're talking about with existing players obviously falls well below that penalty...

Fine, but the issue today is the appropriateness of a self imposed ban. That petty stuff stuff you're talking about with existing players obviously falls well below that penalty...
Huh? Do the rules differentiate between impermissible benefits for recruits versus existing players? Or are you saying that the self-imposed ban was based on other violations?

Huh? Do the rules differentiate between impermissible benefits for recruits versus existing players? Or are you saying that the self-imposed ban was based on other violations?
No idea. But you derive something much greater providing the same benefit to a recruit vs. an existing player. The first guy commits and signs, the latter is already here. UNLESS those guys already here knew that benefit was in the offing had they signed on. Then it would be a recruiting inducement in both cases.

You just give a guy something more once he's here, that's a violation. But there's no tangible advantage gained. Hell, I'd even argue that if your recruiting isn't off the charts...

No idea. But you derive something much greater providing the same benefit to a recruit vs. an existing player. The first guy commits and signs, the latter is already here. UNLESS those guys already here knew that benefit was in the offing had they signed on. Then it would be a recruiting inducement in both cases.

You just give a guy something more once he's here, that's a violation. But there's no tangible advantage gained. Hell, I'd even argue that if your recruiting isn't off the charts...
I agree with the logic of you this, but I am not sure the rules differentiate. If anything, it is probably worse under the rules to give impermissible benefits to existing players (or recruits that end up matriculating) because they are technically ineligible after receiving the benefits (presumably above a certain, rather arbitrary, amount), whereas there is no risk of playing an ineligible player when a recruit doesn't end up coming to the school. With that said, the ineligibility follows the player to wherever they end playing, which is how the NCAA was able to get Blakeney and Lyle to talk. So in this instance, it is sort of bad luck for Louisville that two of the players at the center of this ended up going somewhere else because they had every incentive to tell the truth when the NCAA presented them with immunity, whereas it likely would not have played out that way if they were currently playing at Louisville. Also, the fact that both guys committed to Louisville after the recruiting visits in question and then reneged doesn't look good.

Nice try you yut troll. Run along now.

One aspect that people are forgetting about is the ongoing police investigations that have been underway.

Police agencies investigate quicker then the NCAA does. Maybe the reason for the faster conclusions and actions being taken.

Criminal issues change the way people respond espically when the facts have been uncovered by the police and they tend to cover their own.
Silly yut troll.
Police investigation? Do you honestly think that Louisville metro is actively investigating what at worst would turn out to be a prostitution case?
Maybe you should go back to your board and figure out if the yuts will qualify for the tournament this year.

Nice try though.

I agree with your line of thinking except in my opinion money changed hands. More importantly, I think, money changed hands from a representative of the University of Louisville to a 3rd party that benefited a recruit or current player. Even though that athlete didn't come to Louisville he still received an "impermissible benefit".

The insane part of this whole deal was the entire concept was unnecessary and destined to fail. It is plausible that the recruits didn't come to Louisville because they or their handlers knew what was going on against NCAA rules and more importantly would eventually be exposed. If a player receives a "impermissible benefit" they know it but the question is will they get caught. These cash gift cards impossible to track. A party with money and strippers at a college dorm.....danger Will Robinson!

To me it was a lame attempt by McGee to become a real player in the recruiting world, someone that made things happen. He thought by bringing in people he trusted he could control the environment no one would be the wiser. He failed to understand it is impossible to control people and eventually someone would spill the beans.

I agree with your line of thinking except in my opinion money changed hands. More importantly, I think, money changed hands from a representative of the University of Louisville to a 3rd party that benefited a recruit or current player. Even though that athlete didn't come to Louisville he still received an "impermissible benefit".

The insane part of this whole deal was the entire concept was unnecessary and destined to fail. It is plausible that the recruits didn't come to Louisville because they or their handlers knew what was going on against NCAA rules and more importantly would eventually be exposed. If a player receives a "impermissible benefit" they know it but the question is will they get caught. These cash gift cards impossible to track. A party with money and strippers at a college dorm.....danger Will Robinson!

To me it was a lame attempt by McGee to become a real player in the recruiting world, someone that made things happen. He thought by bringing in people he trusted he could control the environment no one would be the wiser. He failed to understand it is impossible to control people and eventually someone would spill the beans.

I agree with most of your post. The only problematic part for me is, who called McGee months after he left to set up the Blakeney party? They always say, "follow the money trail". I fear that the fall on the sword ceremony we saw yesterday was calculated wishful thinking on the administration's part. They have an ex NCAA guy on board. I think they are scared and he advised them to pull the plug on the 2016 post season. I hope I am wrong.

I think that this in part is a PR move by Ramsey to make himself seem more presidential and less smarmy. He and he alone made the decision to throw this team under the bus to look better.

Worst part is that it probably won't even work. We might still get hammered further and in addition to looking smarmy, he now looks totally self-serving.

I don't think that Pitino should be fired or resign. Until the investigations over we should know if he knew what was occurring -or not. What you do is apply constraints and procedures to ensure the issue can't happen again. I'm sorry that Lee and Lewis are not given the chance to play in the ACC and Tourney. Why not another type of penalty like no televised basketball games unless they make it to the conference and Tourney. Loss of scholarships -monetary fine, loss of HC salary and assistant money once proven they knew or contributed. Why penalize the participants in the ring who were not a part of the violations. Money is everything in Big time sports -you take money away from those at fault ---and you'll see change!

Reactions: awf and SoulSr
Cardsfan,

Good post. Let's think about it. All those things you proposed to be taken away seem appropriate. However, if we were willing to accept those things than they can't be as severe as what the university did with the post season ban. Hopefully the rules committee sees that as well and any other consequences won't be as harsh. If we proposed anything less, we could have still been hammered and still may as yet.

No one needs to worry about the 2013 banner; it will not come down. I have never seen a situation wherein a banner came down because of sanctions. Could they strip Louisville from the 2014 and 2015 tournament? Yep. If UNLV got to keep theirs, there is no way that Louisville loses theirs. Who becomes champion if Louisville or anyone loses a championship? Everyone else lost their last game. I hate it that Lee and Lewis get punished, but this is a situation where one's decisions usually affects future generations (or players in this case). This was a better-safe-than-sorry approach. If they aren't going to pound UNC, then they won't pound Louisville, unless it's egregious, or a multiple offender (like Sampson at IU, or SMU)

This was a chicken sh** approach. Do you really think the NCAA won't see through this obvious self-serving action. All we have done is added to the penalties, not reduced...IMHO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT