ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino should resign

Now would not be a good time for Pitino to go - plus he needs to do (more than) his part of cleaning this mess up.

Unfortunately this could be just a good faith gesture to avoid other repercussions. If Mangok was somehow involved they would be banned this year anyway since he has already played. Then they would be banned next year as well. They are trying to "minimize" the damages.

It is always looked favorably on by NCAA "to get out in front of things".

Reactions: American Male
It is always looked favorably on by NCAA "to get out in front of things".

This is simplying falling on your sword move UofL, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino wasn't somewhat behind it. 1st of all hopefully this keeps the 2013 banner up which is objective #1. Secondly, this team only has 2 seniors and as good as this team is do you think we could put together a run of 6 games against good teams together to win the title? Next year we look at a 5 of Snider, Mitchell, King, Spalding, Nanu. We have without a question a top 5-10 team next season. My thoughts is that everyone feels it's better to take it now get it over and out the way before next season.

Reactions: nccardfan
So then your giving this bad news to VJ King. Anyway you slice it youre giving bad news to somebody who doesn't deserve it.
That is apples and oranges comparing the situations of Lee/Lewis to King. King is still in high school. He could go to a different school next year. Yes, he might be disappointed, but that is the only impact. For Lee/Lewis, they are done. They have no more eligibility. They came to Louisville for one year with the hope of NCAA glory. Now they don't even get to play in the ACC tourney.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
this is nothing more then the University covering it's but at the expense of young men. do not get me wrong. I understand the University has to protect for the future. and that's probably the smart thing to do. but as a sports fan and a fan of good young men who play at a high level the right way, this is hard to swallow.

in a case like this in my opinion punish the coaching staff. start there. maybe sit RP a few games even take some of his pay. but to take away the one thing these young men have (playing ball) is just wrong.

think about what this will cost those 2 young men. both still moving up draft boards. so not only do they get to miss out on playing in a once in a life time situation , they will also miss out on performing in the biggest show coll bball offers. one good game in the tourney and your draft stock goes through the roof. and a shooter like Lee only needs one chance to blow up on the biggest stage in the world in March. so also hit these young men in the pocket.

not sure how bad the findings were. but UNC has kept the NCAA at bay by not self reporting and self punishing. at the end of the day does anyone really think that the Ncaa will go easier on UL once all said and done because they screwed these 2 young men in 2016?

I would of been impressed had the AD , Coach and Pres said this was a failure on our coaching and admin staff. so that's who will suffer in this self imposed punishment . not 2 young men who were not even in the state much less on the team when the violations happened. sad just SacoSaco

Grown men make bad decisions and the kids take it on the chin. It happens all the time in college basketball. I feel sorry for the kids.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I don't think Pitino should be punished for a post season ban that he didn't impose or agree with. I really think this is overkill and Rasmey and the UofL admin are doing too much. We shouldn't even be in this position. Schools have done much worse and have had head coaches actually involved without a post season ban

Reactions: Fostercat
That is apples and oranges comparing the situations of Lee/Lewis to King. King is still in high school. He could go to a different school next year. Yes, he might be disappointed, but that is the only impact. For Lee/Lewis, they are done. They have no more eligibility. They came to Louisville for one year with the hope of NCAA glory. Now they don't even get to play in the ACC tourney.
If Louisville doesn't place a PSB ban prematurely then the NCAA will conclude their investigation and there will be a PSB next year.

So you recruited VJ King under this shadow, he decides to trust Pitino opinion and choose a college, then when he gets here and sometime after the conclusion of the NCAA investigation and appeal he finds he can't go to the tournament. Your assuming he won't go pro after 1 year. A and O's? Sounds to be almost identical. At the very least it's tangerines to oranges. Pitino would be at a PC months from now telling us how bad he feels for the recruits that he brought in to this mess.

Last edited:
I totally disagree with Rick resigning but I'm betting he will choose to do something else next year.

From the lack of public support from Ramsey to the fact that he is aging quickly I'd say it's over.

Maybe it was a preemptive strike that Rick was in on to keep recruits from bailing or maybe there was no alternative but I doubt it. At the very least they should have tried to delay this for the sake of Damion and Trey.

This is absolutely utter BS is all I have to say. You have these kids who worked their butts off this season, only for it to amount to nothing.

people keep mentioning the 2013 banner. does anyone really believe by doing this post season ban in 2016 that it will satisfy the NCAA from taking down the banner?

iU went this route and the NCAA still slammed the door on them. I just do not see by doing this that it will affect the NCAA in its decision on the banner.

I also do not believe the NCAA will take down a banner and squash a entire year that ended in a NC run. I think the NCAA will come out and punish future players and classes. why UL would add to the punishment this year confuses me. the NCAA if I remember correctly has never squashed or taken down banners after a championship year. they've hit runner ups but I even think UNLV kept there banners? I could be wrong tho.

Reactions: Hoosier42
Don't agree with resigning, Pitino is accountable for basketball program, but that doesn't mean he should resign. There is no proof that he even knew something was going on.

I still think the NCAA and schools are going at it all wrong. The student athletes that get punished generally have nothing to do with what happened. Even when UK had their ban years back, the players that were punished had nothing to do with it. I believe you should just severely punish each school with a monetary penalty that is above and beyond what revenue they would receive in the post season (include apparel, ticket sales, etc.)....and I mean serious cash penalty. That would change schools monitoring of this crap.

The NCAA has never been about the student athlete if it was it would never penalize students that had nothing to do with the violations. I absolutely agree the offending parties need to be held accountable as well as the university. At no point should athletes that had nothing to do with a violation be penalized.

Last edited:
It happen on your watch as well, so will you be resigning from posting on the board ? Please do so, if not then you're just a loud mouth hypocrite !

Furthermore, lets analyze the logic of this. A staff member breaks the rules and then we punish the players....ones that weren't even there. I'm sorry but someone has to be the fall guy. While you might be ok with the players taking the fall, I'm not. That fall guy should be Rick Pitino. There is no one else there to take the heat.

people keep mentioning the 2013 banner. does anyone really believe by doing this post season ban in 2016 that it will satisfy the NCAA from taking down the banner?

iU went this route and the NCAA still slammed the door on them. I just do not see by doing this that it will affect the NCAA in its decision on the banner.

I also do not believe the NCAA will take down a banner and squash a entire year that ended in a NC run. I think the NCAA will come out and punish future players and classes. why UL would add to the punishment this year confuses me. the NCAA if I remember correctly has never squashed or taken down banners after a championship year. they've hit runner ups but I even think UNLV kept there banners? I could be wrong tho.

No one needs to worry about the 2013 banner; it will not come down. I have never seen a situation wherein a banner came down because of sanctions. Could they strip Louisville from the 2014 and 2015 tournament? Yep. If UNLV got to keep theirs, there is no way that Louisville loses theirs. Who becomes champion if Louisville or anyone loses a championship? Everyone else lost their last game. I hate it that Lee and Lewis get punished, but this is a situation where one's decisions usually affects future generations (or players in this case). This was a better-safe-than-sorry approach. If they aren't going to pound UNC, then they won't pound Louisville, unless it's egregious, or a multiple offender (like Sampson at IU, or SMU)

This was my view during the Penn State scandal.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to be the end of the penalties. Whatever they found or verified led to a really quick decision on the post season ban. It had to be significant to make this decision.

It is actually comical that Louisville is self imposing a penalty and they received no players from the events that created the violation....brilliant!

Reactions: awf and CatPhight
I think that this in part is a PR move by Ramsey to make himself seem more presidential and less smarmy. He and he alone made the decision to throw this team under the bus to look better.

Worst part is that it probably won't even work. We might still get hammered further and in addition to looking smarmy, he now looks totally self-serving.

Reactions: SoulSr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT