ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Tennis coach fired

That doesn’t seem to be a surprise to most. Hate to hear it. But then again, I don’t any info on the reason, other than it clearly wasn’t a mutual decision.

What a shame to end a 29 yr career this way. I don’t know anything other than what’s been posted here. Ears and eyes, including pic/video, folks just need to aware these days.

Reactions: zipp
Who cares. If he wasn’t fired for the allegations or whatever, they could’ve fired him for having sucky teams here recently. It’s no different than football and basketball coaches getting fired for not winning.

"Parting ways"... LOL!

That makes exactly half of the 16 head coaches on staff that have hit the bricks in the last 1+ years. And we were all assured this would never happen.

No doubt we have another quality assistant ready for that head job...

Reactions: Law007
Never like to see a long tenured coach leave but he is being paid his full contract. Louisville just moving in a different direction.

If this whole thing was largely about results, then it’s disappointing how it was handled.
Agreed. Rex has been there how long? He’s had some mediocre seasons but he put U of L’s tennis program on the map. He also does things for Louisville youths to have tennis opportunities that they normally wouldn’t have. Tennis is a non revenue sport. Is the emphasis more on winning than on developing young men for life after college.

Apparently, a soft ass racket swinger or two complained about practicing in 45 degree weather. Wusses got him fired.

Apparently, a soft ass racket swinger or two complained about practicing in 45 degree weather. Wusses got him fired.

I heard Clinton Glasscock talking on Ennis’ show saying that and also some player was mad that Ecarma told him to comb his hair. I have to believe there is more than that. The problem is that the way it has been handled will make it tough for Ecarma to get a college coaching job elsewhere. I hope that the whole story can be revealed. Otherwise Ecarma will have to deal with this cloud of suspicion and it makes Tyra look bad as well.

Based on the publicly available information this firing is troubling. This is the first personnel decision under Tyra that seems off-kilter. For the sake of both sides, I hope more information is released.

Only problem i dislike with the way this school continues to do business .I would just wish they put all their marbles on the table as to why the decision was made keeping all dishonest speculation out of the hands of the media . As it is now. All you see and hear is Rex's side so yes he is going to slant the firing towards him being mishandled. I've also heard from a reliable source familiar with the Tennis program (friends son is a player).U of L has possibly evoked a clause that allows him to be dismissed at their choosing .Until it all comes out we will not know the exact truth. This is a narrative U of L has total control of . Who advises this school on PR cause they do a terrible job every time.

...I've also heard from a reliable source familiar with the Tennis program (friends son is a player).U of L has possibly evoked a clause that allows him to be dismissed at their choosing...
None of these coaches normally have a contract guaranteeing anything beyond the expiration date. That means any coach can simply have his/her contract paid in full and sent packing. Basically, that's what "fired without cause" means, and it's what happened to Rex Ecarma.

There's no specific clause that is evoked. Ecarma was modestly paid, so it's easy and inexpensive to just dump him. So he was dumped...

None of these coaches normally have a contract guaranteeing anything beyond the expiration date. That means any coach can simply have his/her contract paid in full and sent packing. Basically, that's what "fired without cause" means, and it's what happened to Rex Ecarma.

There's no specific clause that is evoked. Ecarma was modestly paid, so it's easy and inexpensive to just dump him. So he was dumped...

And why, oh why, cannot we do the same thing to gruesome? Send his @$$ packing back to Centre and Glenview Trust.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Honest question: if they were going to fire someone without cause, basically "thanks for your service, but we're going in a new direction," then why the suspension and investigation? It just seems unnecessary if they were going the "without cause" route and pay out his contract.

Was it worth the headache and now bit of public backlash over a coach only (relatively speaking) making $150K?

JP

Based on quotes from players about Ecarma cutting down women, blacks & Mexicans I think Tyra & UofL made the correct decision. All that jumped the gun on judging what went down can now back off.

Based on quotes from players about Ecarma cutting down women, blacks & Mexicans I think Tyra & UofL made the correct decision. All that jumped the gun on judging what went down can now back off.
So after 29 years, all of a sudden Rex is a bully. Probably more like spoiled brats and their “my kid is perfect” parents. I guess if we can get rid of DC after 2 NC’s, I’m sure it’s ok to get rid of Rex.

Reactions: Jason Puckett
So after 29 years, all of a sudden Rex is a bully. Probably more like spoiled brats and their “my kid is perfect” parents. I guess if we can get rid of DC after 2 NC’s, I’m sure it’s ok to get rid of Rex.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I was shocked to hear that he had a 6 year contract.

I wonder whom would do such a thing ? As usual to try and discredit Tyra that man is a business man he knows how to maneuver correctly. Not that he can't make mistakes either . I have total trust in this guy leading this athletic dept the right way. yes he will stumble along the way learning to be a AD .

Hey Archie Bunker, any employer in the country would have fired him for what’s being reported. Get out of the 70’s. Seniority has nothing to do with what he’s reportedly said. In 2019 you can’t say what he said, it doesn’t matter if he’s been the coach for 29 years or 59 years.

Some folks in high places think they are untouchable. Times have changed.

Hey Archie Bunker, any employer in the country would have fired him for what’s being reported. Get out of the 70’s. Seniority has nothing to do with what he’s reportedly said. In 2019 you can’t say what he said, it doesn’t matter if he’s been the coach for 29 years or 59 years.
Read back your previous post and apply that to the POTUS. I wasn’t voicing my opinion one way or the other. Just stating facts. We most likely will hear that Bobby was “mistreating” his players. It can happen now to any coach that doesn’t see eye to eye with players and especially their parents.

Read back your previous post and apply that to the POTUS. I wasn’t voicing my opinion one way or the other. Just stating facts. We most likely will hear that Bobby was “mistreating” his players. It can happen now to any coach that doesn’t see eye to eye with players and especially their parents.
Wrong. As a coach you must always be on guard, Ecarma gave those who wished to take him down the ammo to do so - if the quotes are accurate. Given your viewpoint no one would coach and no teams would play. It’s a different time Archie!

Any racial remarks towards players if true automatic firing period! And if any of the stated he was alleged to have made left this University open for serious litigation .And Tyra was made aware of this and he acted accordingly as the AD if he did not he would be just as guilty. We cannot repeat bad history anymore at this school. "Whites are better than blacks" now i see why the program had very few minority players on the team .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT