ADVERTISEMENT

Osobor to washington for $2MM

If accurate 2M is stupid, you are getting an undersized 5 to be the focal point of your team in a conference that has a ton of physical bigs. Not only that you are doing this in a game where guards or perimeter players are the path to real success.

Let’s see how Washington does, I could be wrong.

Washington has a ton of NIL then to pay that much and also field the rest of their team. Could definitely see this breeding jealousy in the locker room.

Reactions: Mayoman
Not necessarily and if they did they would have already been killing it. Not sure I believe the number being reported.

Just like Arizona St. they are blowing the budget on one player to spark the fan base. Unless he can shoot like Carmelo Anthony, one player ain't gonna do it.

Cards can't win a true NIL war for "stars". At least 30 other teams have much higher NIL pots available.
Why would you want to win this battle? I get your post but the market value has to translate into actual production. A undersized big from Utah State is reportedly getting 2M and hasn’t proven he can even play in the Big 10 or ACC.

Hawkins while I am not sure his production will justify he at least did it in the Big Ten.

Reactions: shadow force
Why would you want to win this battle? I get your post but the market value has to translate into actual production. A undersized big from Utah State is reportedly getting 2M and hasn’t proven he can even play in the Big 10 or ACC.

Hawkins while I am not sure his production will justify he at least did it in the Big Ten.
Look we really can't blame the kid, this NIL system has created this Frankenstein. If you're not willing to spend the money, then likely you won't get the player. Its a win-win situation for the player, even if he "flops" he can be set up financially.

I am not sure I agree with this not setting the market. I guarantee agents are going to start there. It is just a matter if there will be any takers.

it affects the market in so much that he was smart enough to wait until every one else has signed and now you're in supply vs demand set the rate. when there are 100 big buys on the board, market is cheap, when there are 3 market is outrageous. smartest thing for any player to do is wait out the process and let demand increase. he's shown that all other players who already signed were stupid. if all had waited their price would double or triple. signing early was stupid by every player. looks like he was the smartest kid int he portal, got 5x his worth simply by waiting 6 weeks. pure business smarts. that's the effect he'll have on the market. players should wait and sign until the last minute and generate demand for their services. JQ probably could have gotten $4MM if he waited another three or four weeks. the dumb sign early, the smart wait and really get paid

I am not sure I agree with this not setting the market. I guarantee agents are going to start there. It is just a matter if there will be any takers.
supply vs demand sets the market. with no salary cap the market sets itself constantly. just because people have money to spend doesn;t mean they are smart spenders. any fool can spend money the hustle will be how schools allocate their nil funds. unlimited funds from a rich donor who wants to win and the market will skyrocket, but just because one school is willing to pay does not mean others will.

I hope everyone is happy that greed has destroyed college basketball. Something that has been around since 1893 will be destroyed in a couple of years by (he got his) greed.

I agree and I think this will be interesting to watch. The kid and agent did their job. In my opinion the University are the fools. The whole point of this for the University is for the team to win. They have bring in others to support him all their price tags just went up.

The market will correct and deals like this speed up that correction. Dickerson got a similar deal with Kansas and it produced blah results. Paying 2M doesn’t guarantee winning especially if you don’t have dudes around him. I couldn’t even justify it for Louisville, who I think has a great roster to make him better.

I hope everyone is happy that greed has destroyed college basketball. Something that has been around since 1893 will be destroyed in a couple of years by (he got his) greed.
it's debatable. college basketball has been ruled by maybe 10 schools over the last 70 years, out of over 330. that's not fair and the reaosn was those schools had huge underground illegal booster networks that bought houses, cars, gave jobs, and tons of $$$ handshakes which maid most sports in the ncaa winnable by only a select few schools. if you think that a select few school that's been cheating for a 100 years and winning the majoroity of championships was fair that you are living in a dream world. it was not fair adn never has been. but not every single school has a fair chance of signing any kid. no longer is every 5* kid going to unc, duke, uk or kansas. it's an open market, it's the definition of a free market capitalistic system. that fact that you think the governance of the ncaa over teh last 100 years was good, again, means you;re clueless. we are now looking at the precipice of great change, where any school now has a chance to win, especially in bball. football more difficult based on the size and weight of offensive linemen, but in bball, any school now can sign a couple of great players and make a run. maybe that's seems broign to you but it's the pure defeintion fo equal competition. the ncaa used to be the greedy ones and that's all that was talked about for decades, hwo they take all the moneya dn the kids get nothing. now the kids, ie employees, are finally getting paid and the slavery that was the ncaa (which you seemd to think was great for the sport for some reason), run by rich white men, is now over. this is the beginning of the greatest era in college sports. the doomsayers are morons and clueless. this is the awesom!!! the players are no longer slaves to their schools, their coaches, or the ncaa. the coaches were always allowed to cheat, move on, get new jobs, quit and do whatever adn the kids always had no recourse. now they can leave. just like every other american intheir jobs. athletes have been slaves to the ncaa and now it's finally over.

Reactions: cardsfan53
I don’t think it has ruined the sport. What it shows is colleges lack the discipline when it really matters. It isn’t the kids fault, it is the college that agreed to pay 2M for a player that doesn’t have a great roster. The player is great for college basketball.

The colleges aren't paying. Really rich people that get what they want with their fun $ are paying. As to exactly how much, we don't really know we don't see the paperwork. Maybe we can believe Twitter but maybe that's BS.

There's no reason to think this is going to stabilize or correct itself the way people are hoping any time soon. Politicians seem to have their hands tied and there's not a thing the NCAA can really do here. If they try flexing programs are just going to form their own leagues with their own rules, they will probably do that eventually anyway.

You've already seen crash and burn stuff happen to A&M in football and UK had a guy not even willing to play in basketball a few years ago, and those flipping the bill are still going for it. It's a lot of $ for the majority to think about, but not for the people actually throwing it around.

As for this specific player it is really hard to say how this went down from the UofL side, as none of us were present during negotiations/discussion. It is possible the Cards used most of their $ early on to secure the guard play the HC desires. We're going to have to wait a few years to see how the Cards fit in with all this.

Coaches will have to navigate when to move on from certain players also. I can see in the future guys dragging it out as long as possible to get more money. Osobor is a good player but it is others that I would pay more than him.

Last edited:
it's debatable. college basketball has been ruled by maybe 10 schools over the last 70 years, out of over 330. that's not fair and the reaosn was those schools had huge underground illegal booster networks that bought houses, cars, gave jobs, and tons of $$$ handshakes which maid most sports in the ncaa winnable by only a select few schools. if you think that a select few school that's been cheating for a 100 years and winning the majoroity of championships was fair that you are living in a dream world. it was not fair adn never has been. but not every single school has a fair chance of signing any kid. no longer is every 5* kid going to unc, duke, uk or kansas. it's an open market, it's the definition of a free market capitalistic system. that fact that you think the governance of the ncaa over teh last 100 years was good, again, means you;re clueless. we are now looking at the precipice of great change, where any school now has a chance to win, especially in bball. football more difficult based on the size and weight of offensive linemen, but in bball, any school now can sign a couple of great players and make a run. maybe that's seems broign to you but it's the pure defeintion fo equal competition. the ncaa used to be the greedy ones and that's all that was talked about for decades, hwo they take all the moneya dn the kids get nothing. now the kids, ie employees, are finally getting paid and the slavery that was the ncaa (which you seemd to think was great for the sport for some reason), run by rich white men, is now over. this is the beginning of the greatest era in college sports. the doomsayers are morons and clueless. this is the awesom!!! the players are no longer slaves to their schools, their coaches, or the ncaa. the coaches were always allowed to cheat, move on, get new jobs, quit and do whatever adn the kids always had no recourse. now they can leave. just like every other american intheir jobs. athletes have been slaves to the ncaa and now it's finally over.
You’re full of 💩. Nobody on X or any other social media is saying college basketball is in a good place. You call me clueless yet you don’t have the sense to see that the 2 major football conferences SEC and Big 10 have the money to do what Washington just did. You do know Washington is in the Big 10?
What we are going to see in basketball is the same thing in college football. The schools from the 2 major conferences have the money to out bid the Louisville’s.

The colleges aren't paying. Really rich people that get what they want with their fun $ are paying. As to exactly how much, we don't really know we don't see the paperwork. Maybe we can believe Twitter but maybe that's BS.

There's no reason to think this is going to stabilize or correct itself the way people are hoping any time soon. Politicians seem to have their hands tied and there's not a thing the NCAA can really do here. If they try flexing programs are just going to form their own leagues with their own rules, they will probably do that eventually anyway.

You've already seen crash and burn stuff happen to A&M in football and UK had a guy not even willing to play in basketball a few years ago, and those flipping the bill are still going for it. It's a lot of $ for the majority to think about, but not for the people actually throwing it around.

As for this specific player it is really hard to say how this went down from the UofL side, as none of us were present during negotiations/discussion. It is possible the Cards used most of their $ early on to secure the guard play the HC desires. We're going to have to wait a few years to see how the Cards fit in with all this.
If that were the case Louisville would have just paid more. You people think money grows on trees.

If that were the case Louisville would have just paid more. You people think money grows on trees.
How do you know UofL had more $ to offer? They wanted him badly enough to get him on campus a week ago. Everything points to being outbid.

$ does grow on trees, for some people. This is what you literally said 2 posts back to Glass. They got outbid by the B10.

'Merica. F/÷+@^&$ yeah!

How do you know UofL had more $ to offer? They wanted him badly enough to get him on campus a week ago. Everything points to being outbid.

$ does grow on trees, for some people. This is what you literally said 2 posts back to Glass. They got outbid by the B10.

'Merica. F/÷+@^&$ yeah!
Maybe you should read your other post were you said. “Really rich people that get what they want with their fun $ are paying.” My reply was to that comment. You’re mixed up buddy. Maybe you oughta lay off the pipe in the morning.

The colleges athletic department is part of this process. It may not be their money today but they are the ones getting the boosters to pay. The college ultimately agrees to paying a kid 2M. Someone at Washington could have said no and it wouldn’t happen.

I think it will correct itself over time. At the end of the day boosters want to back a winner. They aren’t going to throw money around to lose.

A&M went bust on on a historical level after paying top $ and they turned around and got themselves a T10 class the very next season. They didn't pull $ back, they fired the coach.

Sharpe took his NIL and facilities and gave UK nothing and they turned around and paid everybody. They lost and ran their HC out of town.

It's loose change for these people and they will take their turns getting desired results.

This thing is going one way. Not the direction most fans want.

Probably see a few super conferences to finally put the nail in the coffin for a lot of fans.

Some dude allegedly just got paid 2M to go play ball for a trash program. Etc, etc, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT