ADVERTISEMENT

On to TCU.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I found it odd TCU is coming into town for a mid week game, and not a weekend series, but then I see TCU just played a series at UK. That makes sense. Their Kentucky swing, so to speak. TCU lost that series 2-1. They are 8-3 overall. I suspect they'll be just a slight step up from Akron. Sabo has got some work to do.

TCU normally has a good baseball team. If they lost 2/3 to UK I like our chances.

Reactions: CardX
Just looking at the scores from the uk series,pretty evenly played except for the pitching performance by uk in the first game Saturday.
TCU gets up off of the canvas to avoid the sweep Saturday night.

Poland gets the start. I think CDM knows these mid-week games are important and after last season this team must perform better.

I like what I am seeing from the team. Grit. Better patience at the plate. Making plays when they need to be made. It is these intangibles which just were off the mark last year. Thing is…even if they lose games…there is a good way to lose vs a bad way. Plain not hitting the ball, walking batters and committing errors = bad loss. Minimize those issues and still lose - I can live with it.

Reactions: earsky
Heck of a game for Poland this far. Would like to see us score some runs to help him out.

Good call on Poland. Another very business like approach by the Cards today.

I asked and I received! 4 runs so far in the 5th inning!

Bullpen has CHOKED. Way to similar to last season.

They held on - great. But, my goodness, the bullpen just sucked ballz today. Poland was outstanding and the defense was sound.

Solid effort for 3/4th of the game. Offense is playing well. That bull pen, ugh!

Yeah, just throw strikes with a 9 run lead. Coach was fired up after the game.

If we had lost, it would have further distracted from the confidence these relievers are struggling to maintain.

CDM witnessed the “fear in their eyes” and he said that he knew they needed to go sit. I truly wonder if Roger even ask the bullpen as to which of the kids can keep it in the strike zone before putting them in; most self destructive 2 innings that I can recall. Poland was superb, but Seed and the others just about gave it away.

Yeah,and I'm sure that the coaches thought that putting guys in that needed to be in a higher profile game like that one with a big lead is what those pitchers needed going forward,to get their confidence up.
It absolutely was the right time and place to do it. Hopefully,it's win win all the way around if they can learn from it.
We'll know soon enough.

Reactions: Bardman
For anybody who was there, don’t understand letting Corbett only throw 6 pitches, even though he gave up a hit. He’s a guy you have to have confidence or he’s going to wonder the next time he pitches, he’s going to be yanked. Seemed like we panicked..

Whole bullpen has got the yips. Lack of confidence is contagious.
Yeah,you get the middle infielders working through their yips,then you have to deal with the bullpen getting them. I think Coach calling out guys has to be about not seeing guys go out and compete. Cold day,big lead. Guys just not focused on whatever their role is.
Just glad we had 9 runs.

For anybody who was there, don’t understand letting Corbett only throw 6 pitches, even though he gave up a hit. He’s a guy you have to have confidence or he’s going to wonder the next time he pitches, he’s going to be yanked. Seemed like we panicked..
I was there but left before all of the madness began. I'm just assumed listening to it that with bases loaded, it was a lefty coming to the plate. That's what I remember thinking. Not sure if it was or not. I'd have to think that CDM's ire probably not intended for Corbett.

I was there but left before all of the madness began. I'm just assumed listening to it that with bases loaded, it was a lefty coming to the plate. That's what I remember thinking. Not sure if it was or not. I'd have to think that CDM's ire probably not intended for Corbett.
That makes sense. I still find it odd that we are pitching Corbett and Prosecky together. It’s like we want to make sure we win one game. Prosecky cannot close every game.

I still find it odd that we are pitching Corbett and Prosecky together. It’s like we want to make sure we win one game. Prosecky cannot close every game.
Moth alluded to the two pronged closers with Prosecky and Corbett,as though that's probably the plan. I don't think the coaches wanted to throw both yesterday. What made it more difficult after all those walks and the comeback was that TCU has 3 or 4 switch hitters in their lineup. I don't think we'll see both very often,but situationally maybe.

Funny you mention switch-hitters. I can’t recall the last time we even had one switch hitter.

Kind of off topic but related a little. I think it's critical that Lohman and Seed progress into the season. It seems like most of the reliable guys out of the pen are righties with the exception of Prosecky and Webster.
We really need more left handed pitching to emerge from the bullpen and the obvious guys are Lohman and Seed.
Schmeltz is another one,but all three look like they're just not there yet.

So far the rotation is Kuehner, Poland and whoever. Hopefully I think it’s Seed but who knows. Really need a solid 3rd starter.
I'm kinda thinking more about the pen. Just seems like it's all righties trotting out from there. If Seed isn't gonna be a 3rd or 4th starter and Lohman as well,it sure would be nice to see them as middle guys against left hand dominated lineups. Right now it's hard to imagine either one as a starter.

I think Phillips is a weekend guy now. I’d like to see him Saturday and Poland on Sunday.

I was standing directly behind the plate next to the guy with the velocity gun, and I could see the warmup pitchers were not in the strike zone, even at speeds between high 70s to mid 80s. I appreciated the Burdi brothers and others who had struggled with finding the strike zone when they were in the mid to high 90s; just cannot understand how 4 of those 5 relievers struggled so much with their control at those modest velocities. Again, CDM made it a point in post game interview, that “he saw fear in their eyes”. Hope they learn something from that experience, but it may speak more about the fragile nature of some of these kids.

just as cold for TCU pitchers, as it was for us!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT