ADVERTISEMENT

Officially top 10

It's a well deserved top 10 ranking, I'll say that. Nothing has come easy. From looking like the bad news bears early on, to a suspect bullpen, to some really tough series, this team has really come together. Credit Mac big time, him keeping struggling pitchers in too long and all.

It's a well deserved top 10 ranking, I'll say that. Nothing has come easy. From looking like the bad news bears early on, to a suspect bullpen, to some really tough series, this team has really come together. Credit Mac big time, him keeping struggling pitchers in too long and all.
Don’t question the cook until the baking has been done…

I think differently. Can this team be a top-10 team? Yes. Are they there now? I just don’t see it. Still seeing fielding mistakes (physical and mental). Pitching - while the pen showed up Sunday…where has it been? Very inconsistent still. Starting pitching? Poland has been really good. Phillips has been pretty good. Tate has been trending downward - like a deadstick jet falling out of the sky. This team is still leaving a LOT of runners on the bases. That, too, needs to improve. Now, I don’t want people jumping on me because of my opinion. I do think the pieces are there to make a Great team. I do think they are playing with more swagger than we have seen for a while (i.e. We never feel like this team is done until the final out of the game). The last road test wasn’t great. Let’s see how they play next weekend vs. FSU.

Reactions: earsky
I think differently. Can this team be a top-10 team? Yes. Are they there now? I just don’t see it. Still seeing fielding mistakes (physical and mental). Pitching - while the pen showed up Sunday…where has it been? Very inconsistent still. Starting pitching? Poland has been really good. Phillips has been pretty good. Tate has been trending downward - like a deadstick jet falling out of the sky. This team is still leaving a LOT of runners on the bases. That, too, needs to improve. Now, I don’t want people jumping on me because of my opinion. I do think the pieces are there to make a Great team. I do think they are playing with more swagger than we have seen for a while (i.e. We never feel like this team is done until the final out of the game). The last road test wasn’t great. Let’s see how they play next weekend vs. FSU.
I think we've definitely not hit the ceiling. As much pressure as the offense puts on opposing staffs over 9 innings,I'd still love to see a bit more discipline from some of the guys. Had a conversation with somebody at the game yesterday about the defense's penchant to make spectacular plays but somehow struggle on routine plays.
I think Kuehner will come around,but if he doesn't,somebody else(Lohman?) will have to.
Point is,I don't think we've seen the best yet.

Reactions: Bardman
Maybe it's the transfer portal or maybe it is coming off 2 weird COVID years, but this year, more than others, has seemed crazy across the board. I agree this team does not seem like the steamroller teams that chewed up and mowed down the ACC from 2015-2019 for the most part. For starters, that was ALWAYS going to be an anomaly and shows how awesome and unique those teams were. If we use that as the standard, most teams will pale in comparison.

Other than Tennessee, who doesn't have some head scratchers on their resume. UVa looked like a freight train and just got swept at a VERY good Miami team. MS State is defending champion and Top 10 preseason and they have struggled from the jump. Ole Miss was Top 10 recently and just got swept by Auburn. Vandy is not in the Top 25. NC State looked unbeatable and is also out of the Top 25. UNC is a dang good squad that we just saw and they are out of the Top 25.

I think we've definitely not hit the ceiling. As much pressure as the offense puts on opposing staffs over 9 innings,I'd still love to see a bit more discipline from some of the guys. Had a conversation with somebody at the game yesterday about the defense's penchant to make spectacular plays but somehow struggle on routine plays.
I think Kuehner will come around,but if he doesn't,somebody else(Lohman?) will have to.
Point is,I don't think we've seen the best yet.
I don't know about the freshmen, because they don't get a lot of PT, but our guys, I'm not sure if there's a lot of MLB talent there. But, they are getting it done. The M&M bros, Rushing, Bianco- those guys were role players, for lack of a better term. Now, they are our most dangerous hitters. I see what our Sophomores are doing: Knap, Beard, Payton, and Humphrey, but our upperclassmen are leading the way. Oh, regarding Payton, I think I heard yesterday when he's behind the plate, runners have successfully stolen a base 13/15 times. Not good. I think Rushing is 8/13, or something near there. Davis spoiled us.

But, they are getting it done
This is the key as opposed to last year. The schedule gets tougher as we go and we're all waiting,hopefully for all phases to come together. They are a gritty group and if they can get to some more of these starters and into bullpens,they can really wear you down offensively.
Looking forward to the next half of the season.

Bardman: I belief everything is relative. You, and I are focused on UL baseball, while everyone (other than Tennessee) right now have their own roster Issues; otherwise they would not have 7 to 10 losses.

That early loss to UConn might have been misinterpreted as questioning UL at the time, but now most recognize that was not such a bad loss. Conversely beating TCU, Michigan and sweeping ND are pretty significant accomplishments.

Much like College basketball, parity has arrived in college baseball as well. One good pitcher can take an unranked underdog over a top ranked opponent on any given week.

Reactions: Bardman
Bardman: I belief everything is relative. You, and I are focused on UL baseball, while everyone (other than Tennessee) right now have their own roster Issues; otherwise they would not have 7 to 10 losses.

That early loss to UConn might have been misinterpreted as questioning UL at the time, but now most recognize that was not such a bad loss. Conversely beating TCU, Michigan and sweeping ND are pretty significant accomplishments.

Much like College basketball, parity has arrived in college baseball as well. One good pitcher can take an unranked underdog over a top ranked opponent on any given week.
Sure it can but it doesn’t guarantee you anything in a regional or super regional scenario.

Strong take (and one I agree with 100%) - Jack is not a real threat at catcher. He has been hitting the ball very well (as we all know) and he seems to ‘catch’ the pitchers well enough. But, he struggles to just get the ball to second when finishing warmups each inning. He has a long throwing delivery and those few added seconds make all the difference. If they cannot improve his release he may be stuck as the fill-in catcher and DH. Rushing, meanwhile, has a cannon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT