ADVERTISEMENT

Now that basketball is officially in Sunbelt Scotty territory…

I’m intrigued by Ben McCullom. Don’t think we could get a Nate Oates or similar to come at this point.

I’m intrigued by Ben McCullom. Don’t think we could get a Nate Oates or similar to come at this point.
McCullom has been a HC for 12 years - with apparently a lot of accolades. My question - not knowing much about him - is, why isn’t he already coaching a D1 school?

Also, why don’t you think UofL - a top 10 all time program with incredible facilities and fan base - couldn’t pull someone like Oates away from a school like Alabama where he’s always going to be second fiddle. He’s compensated basically at the same level as UofL has paid Mack and Payne.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I don’t study Alabama’s finances, but my guess is they have big money. We have no money.

We’re sure not gonna money whip the Tide for a coach they wanna keep…

I don’t study Alabama’s finances, but my guess is they have big money. We have no money.

We’re sure not gonna money whip the Tide for a coach they wanna keep…
Obviously different situations however, that was the conventional wisdom with Brohm and Purdue. Oates not the prodigal son but, UofL is an enormous step up in programs and prestige - particularly since the ncaa cloud has lifted.

Obviously different situations however, that was the conventional wisdom with Brohm and Purdue. Oates not the prodigal son but, UofL is an enormous step up in programs and prestige - particularly since the ncaa cloud has lifted.
I don't think UofL can take certain coaches like Drew away from Baylor, but with the NCAA crap behind us and a permanent AD and president in place, their position to hire a new coach is much stronger than when we hired Payne. I'm not sure if a guy like Oates would come here or not though.

I doubt we money whipped Purdue for Brohm. If they wanted to keep him, they could have paid him more than we can afford.

Brohm is a Louisville guy who wanted to come home. There isn’t a basketball equivalent that I know of.

Any successful coach working for an SEC or Big Ten school should carefully weigh his options…

I doubt we money whipped Purdue for Brohm. If they wanted to keep him, they could have paid him more than we can afford.

Brohm is a Louisville guy who wanted to come home. There isn’t a basketball equivalent that I know of.

Any successful coach working for an SEC or Big Ten school should carefully weigh his options…
You missed the point of my post. I didn’t say that we outbid Purdue for Brohm or, that we would or could have - though he did get a slight bump.

And while I fully acknowledge there is no basketball equivalent of Brohm that we should want - looking squarely at you Kenny Payne - I do think that there are multiple significant and attractive intangibles that UofL has going for it over a program like Alabama.

I think that he’d definitely have to be increased - but I don’t think that if he wanted to be here - it would take something like doubling his current salary.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I don’t disagree with any of that. I simply think the days are over when we can point at a coach, offer the necessary money, and successfully hire him.

We had money in the bank but not anymore. And as lucrative as the ACC is, it’s not the Big Ten or SEC.

We used to be able to rely on the fact that a typical SEC school doesn’t care as much about basketball. Even if it’s still true, I don’t know if that’s enough to matter today.

I’m not at all confident that we have set the table to go out and hire a good replacement for Payne. And we’ve proven we can make a bad situation worse (while it’s hard to imagine that happening in this case).

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I don’t disagree with any of that. I simply think the days are over when we can point at a coach, offer the necessary money, and successfully hire him.

We had money in the bank but not anymore. And as lucrative as the ACC is, it’s not the Big Ten or SEC.

We used to be able to rely on the fact that a typical SEC school doesn’t care as much about basketball. Even if it’s still true, I don’t know if that’s enough to matter today.

I’m not at all confident that we have set the table to go out and hire a good replacement for Payne. And we’ve proven we can make a bad situation worse (while it’s hard to imagine that happening in this case).

All this talk about if we can or can't make a good hire to replace Kenny sadly doesn't matter. I just don't see it happening this year. I hope it does...he is a terrible coach no way around it. But it's just not gonna happen.

We used to be able to rely on the fact that a typical SEC school doesn’t care as much about basketball.
Regarding your first point you may be right but honestly - we don’t know. Mack appeared to be the first choice after Pitino and inexplicably, Payne appeared to be the first choice after him.

I think talk of Jay Wright is silly - doubt he’d be interested or, in within our price range but a guy like Oates? Even with the extra money from the SEC , programs like Alabama have never shown the interest in giving 1/10 the investment that they do with football. As the disparity on ROI continues to widen between football and basketball, I don’t see that changing thus creating opportunities for more basketball tradition rich programs like UofL.

Once again I’ll bring up a point I am sure people are getting tired of me repeating myself. However, coaching in the SEC with the exception of a few schools there is nothing to do in the towns those schools are located.

I don’t think it will happen. I think KP believes 100% he can fix it. He will be given time to fix it. The results this year have forced a serious conversation at the end of the year. They have to reevaluate the plan. He needs his network to help him identify and acquire his kind of player.

It has to play out like Satterfield which may happen depending on how the rest of the year plays out.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I haven't been to a game this year because how bad it's been what is the attendance like for someone who's been there

I don’t think it will happen. I think KP believes 100% he can fix it. He will be given time to fix it. The results this year have forced a serious conversation at the end of the year. They have to reevaluate the plan. He needs his network to help him identify and acquire his kind of player.

It has to play out like Satterfield which may happen depending on how the rest of the year plays out.
I so hope you are wrong about KP being given more time. KP may believe he can fix it but where is the experience to do it? What tools does he have to fix it? Where will he get the players to fix it? His “network”? What network? We were led to believe he had great relationships with the NBA, with Nike, with pro players, with WWW. If true, what have those relationships yielded so far? And, I am done listening to talk about the cloud causing this. Previous coaches still got players before KP and KP has lost players since the cloud dissipated. Done with that.

Giving Payne more time will only result in more lost years for this program.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Like it not they knew this year wasn’t going to be good. They didn’t anticipate it would be this bad.

We will see by summer if he can acquire players in 2023 and 2024. None of us know if he can or can’t.

Reactions: earsky
McCullom has been a HC for 12 years - with apparently a lot of accolades. My question - not knowing much about him - is, why isn’t he already coaching a D1 school?

Also, why don’t you think UofL - a top 10 all time program with incredible facilities and fan base - couldn’t pull someone like Oates away from a school like Alabama where he’s always going to be second fiddle. He’s compensated basically at the same level as UofL has paid Mack and Payne.

I’m not sure if McCullom has interviewed for D1 jobs or not. Certainly having someone with proven D1 credentials would be more comforting.

As for Oates and guys like him - first of all SEC and Big 10 schools have the money to match anything if they want. Obviously i agree about job prestige. However I just wonder if that even matters as much anymore. When you look at many of the recent big head coaching changes - UofL, UNC, Duke, LSU, Missouri, Arizona - the schools arent making seismic moves. None of the guys hired were from head coaching P5 schools. Not sure if it’s a supply or demand issue? My guess is that these P5 coaches just aren’t jonesing to move because they can get paid where they are at.

I haven't been to a game this year because how bad it's been what is the attendance like for someone who's been there
I've been to one game early on and I would guess attendance was probably around 8 or 9 thousand. Buddy of mine went to a game recently and said 7 or 8 thousand.. Only thing that might help this year is a lot of seats were sold before anyone knew we would be this bad. A lot of people who normally don't go to games bought those tickets up to have a chance to sit in the lower bowl.

If KP is back next year nobody is going to be buying tickets when they know it's going to SUCK !

All this talk about if we can or can't make a good hire to replace Kenny sadly doesn't matter. I just don't see it happening this year. I hope it does...he is a terrible coach no way around it. But it's just not gonna happen.
I agree. There’s no way UL will fire Payne after this year, nor should they. He needs to start showing improvement next year and I think he will. He’ll soon start getting top players and improve this team.

I agree. There’s no way UL will fire Payne after this year, nor should they. He needs to start showing improvement next year and I think he will. He’ll soon start getting top players and improve this team.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

I don't have any links but a couple of rumors had Cronin waiting for the phone to ring...

Doesn't he still own a car leadership in Lexington? I think he still has a lot of ties to Kentucky.

Of course, here comes the leprechaun jokes...

The cost of living difference between LA and Louisville alone would be a raise for Mick.

I’m still rooting for him, with all my heart. Desperately hoping he can pull off a miracle and win even 5 more games the rest of this year. That would be 5 more than he’s favored to win and 3 more than he’s projected to win by the ESPN FPI. That would demonstrate some small level of progress that his coaching methods are improving this woefully constructed team.

Then I need to see him get just one verbal commit from a top 50 caliber 2024 recruit to demonstrate his abilities to sell his vision on the recruiting trail this winter/spring.

Those two “milestones” are critical here in the short term, the period of time prior to the end of the season when any decision about retaining/firing would be made. Roster additions/subtractions via the portal won’t happen until after the season and any coaching decision are over.

Once again I’ll bring up a point I am sure people are getting tired of me repeating myself. However, coaching in the SEC with the exception of a few schools there is nothing to do in the towns those schools are located.
I tend to disregard this reason because during the season coaches are way too busy to be concerned about “things to do”. And since they are wealthy, in the small amount of time they have off during the off-season, they can afford to take their families to wherever vacation spot they want to visit.

Their wife and children, due to their family’s wealth, can also go anywhere they want at any time of the year.

The one situation where location can make a huge difference is one like Scott Satterfield dealt with when his family learned of his father’s cancer diagnosis. Scott probably realized that the time he had left with his father was precious, and that made returning to the Carolina’s a priority.

The pull of Louisville for Jeff Brohm (to be close to family during his parent’s “golden years”) is a similar situation.

Reactions: Mayoman
Poor families having to sit in boredom for 11 1/2 months out of the year. But yeah they can take them on a 2 week vacation anywhere in the world and then come back to boredom for 50 weeks. Ole Miss has a beautiful campus and Oxford is way nicer than Starkville.
They even more pizza parlors, more gas stations and a car wash wash. Plus they have more than 5 doctors so they don’t have to drive 3 hours for a physical. The most exciting thing to do outside of the sporting event in town is watching the grass grow or the paint dry. After weighing my options I would rather live somewhere that paid me the same amount of money with more to do.

I've never seen or heard anything of substance about Cronin. The only thing we have in our favor as far as he's concerned is our geographical location.

Major dollars are coming UCLA's way in the Big Ten not to mention a better schedule with Eastern and Central time zone teams...

I've never seen or heard anything of substance about Cronin. The only thing we have in our favor as far as he's concerned is our geographical location.

Major dollars are coming UCLA's way in the Big Ten not to mention a better schedule with Eastern and Central time zone teams...
Cronin has a $24M buyout this year. $20M after next year.

Cronin has a $24M buyout this year. $20M after next year.
Haven't researched it, but that can't be his buyout to leave voluntarily. If it is, he needs to change agents--and you're right, there's no way we could pay that.

That may just be his buyout for termination without cause...

Haven't researched it, but that can't be his buyout to leave voluntarily. If it is, he needs to change agents--and you're right, there's no way we could pay that.

That may just be his buyout for termination without cause...

Towards the end they dive into the buyout portion. Maybe there is more to it won't pretend to be an agent.

You're right, that's the way it reads. Cronin's agent has basically handcuffed him to that job if this reporter (Sam Connon) is correct. He's certainly not an option for U of L anytime soon...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT