ADVERTISEMENT

Not bailing on CRP, but...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
If he resigns or is eventually forced out who are your choices to succeed?

My number one guy would be Shaka Smart. Yeah, he has a new gig at Texas but the AD who hired him has already been fired. Also, he is playing fourth fiddle behind: 1) football 2) spring football 3) football recruiting. I love his pressing, attacking style and anyone who won at the level he did at VCU is worth a hard look.

My second choice (easily 1-A) would be Gregg Marshall at Witchita State. The guys a winner, plain and simple.

I think Bruce Pearl is a recruiting machine but has his own NCAA baggage in his past. So he's out.

Whoever comes here needs a sqeeky clean image and must be a stud recruiter.

What about going the nba route? Steve Kerr has health issues maybe he just needs a change of scenery ala urban Meyer. I don't see Rick going anywhere though. So when he eventually retires I hope his son has the resume to take the reigns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stonewall12
If, and thats a big big IF, we should be all in on Gregg Marshall. If a dude can win big at WSU imagine what he could do with our program

Would you guys make a run at Kenny Payne, or is he seen as a traitor?

Would you guys make a run at Kenny Payne, or is he seen as a traitor?

I don't view him as a traitor at all, anymore than UK fans should consider guys like Wayne Turner or Walter McCarty traitors for working at UofL. If your desire is to be a head coach someday, you don't turn down an opportunity like UK or UofL. As far as pursuing Kenny Payne, I would say no. From everything I remember and hear about him now, he is a good guy and very good recruiter, but he is not elite program head coach material at this point in his career. He may prove to be a great coach years down the road, but you don't get to learn the ropes at premier programs like Louisville. This isn't football, we (as well as UK), can't, and don't need to, take chances on highly regarded assistant coaches. And no, I don't think possible NCAA sanctions will deter a coaching search. It didn't hurt UK from getting Pitino.

We view Payne as being unqualified.

There may come a time when a program not named Louisville gives him an initital shot due to his ties in recruiting but it's rather telling that nobody appears to have offered him during this "run" he's had as a Calapari assistant.

To even be mentioned as a replacement at Louisville at this time is silly. He hasn't coached anywhere and Louisville has had 2 coaches in the last 40 years and they are both HOFers. Our last hire was a title winner and FF participant at multiple schools who had 2 HC jobs in the NBA also, one with quite a bit of control. And you ask if an assistant coach with no HC experience would be a candidate that could be worth making a run at LOL - Payne wouldn't even be on a list that included 50 names.

Uh, no.

Well here's why I think he'd make a good choice. You're going to face probation a couple of years anyway, right? Pitino had two years to turn the UK program around while not eligible for the tournament. But are guys like Marshall and Smart going to wait two years? It's different today.

Payne can get you the players. Obviously he doesn't have the experience making adjustments, calling timeouts at the right time, and everything else that goes into being an elite bench coach. It's a trade-off.

But here's the best reason to hire him...he's a bridge to the Crum years. I've talked to a lot of people (not fellow UK fans) who have said they liked Crum but never did like Pitino. Your reputation is tarnished right now. It's not what t was in the glory years. Kenny brings some of that back and if he doesn't work out, if nothing else he brings back your mojo.

We view Payne as being unqualified.

There may come a time when a program not named Louisville gives him an initital shot due to his ties in recruiting but it's rather telling that nobody appears to have offered him during this "run" he's had as a Calapari assistant.

To even be mentioned as a replacement at Louisville at this time is silly. He hasn't coached anywhere and Louisville has had 2 coaches in the last 40 years and they are both HOFers. Our last hire was a title winner and FF participant at multiple schools who had 2 HC jobs in the NBA also, one with quite a bit of control. And you ask if an assistant coach with no HC experience would be a candidate that could be worth making a run at LOL - Payne wouldn't even be on a list that included 50 names.

Uh, no.
Hell Naw !

Well here's why I think he'd make a good choice.

I don't doubt you think this. He's just not anywhere close to being a candidate for a Top 6-7 program (depending on who you ask) without any head coaching experience.

The link to being a former player in theory makes a tad bit of sense but he's been coaching as an assistant for years and never here. The reality is he's not overly fond of the Louisville program dude, but that doesn't matter because he's not on the radar anyway.

Sorry. He isn't close to being a candidate.

Well here's why I think he'd make a good choice. You're going to face probation a couple of years anyway, right? Pitino had two years to turn the UK program around while not eligible for the tournament. But are guys like Marshall and Smart going to wait two years? It's different today.

Payne can get you the players. Obviously he doesn't have the experience making adjustments, calling timeouts at the right time, and everything else that goes into being an elite bench coach. It's a trade-off.

But here's the best reason to hire him...he's a bridge to the Crum years. I've talked to a lot of people (not fellow UK fans) who have said they liked Crum but never did like Pitino. Your reputation is tarnished right now. It's not what t was in the glory years. Kenny brings some of that back and if he doesn't work out, if nothing else he brings back your mojo.
Thanks for the laugh LOL

Scenario...

Our head coach dies of a heart attack a week before the NCAA tourney. You can hire Payne, or any other assistant in the country to scramble something together and try to win the damn thing...

OR

You could hire Scotty Davenport and roll with him into March Madness.

You pick...

Go Cards!

Reactions: Jkwo
Scenario...

Our head coach dies of a heart attack a week before the NCAA tourney. You can hire Payne, or any other assistant in the country to scramble something together and try to win the damn thing...

OR

You could hire Scotty Davenport and roll with him into March Madness.

You pick...

Go Cards!

Scotty Davenport all the way!

"Payne can get you the players."

You have just exhibited one major difference in our fan bases.

Kenny was a very good Card and has been an excellent recruiter, especially getting top recruits to play for Cal and UK. He has never had to recruit these 5*s to play for Kenny. Not to mention his inexperience running the show as others have.

Besides, Kenny is making more at UK than most HCs at other places. The last I heard was $450, 000 per year. That is tough money to leave to chase the unknown. I don't think Kenny's ego is that big. I wish him the best, even when it comes back to haunt us.

Reactions: Jkwo
Meh, it probably wouldn't happen because of the Nike/Adidas thing anyway. Just a thought. He's a hell of a good assistant. Denny always said you'd never find a better person when talking about him on the Joe B and Denny show.

That's funny! Every kittie fan in the state hated Crum's guts while he was having success challenging their old school mentality and whipping them on the court. Then the losses started to mount for Denny and they started to love the guy, funny stuff!

Last edited:
Brad Stevens or bust and I hope TJ is already in his ear. Rick is done people, he may get to finish this season but he won't be here next year.

That's funny! Every kittie fan in the state hated Crum's guts while he was having success challenging their old school mentality and whipping them on the court. Then the losses started to mount for Denny and they started to love the guy, funny stuff!

I never liked Denny until I heard him on his show with Joe B. They were both very positive about both schools, so it was hard to hate him any more.

The only problem keeping Pitino, if there is more to the story or a significant penalty, will be his recruiting. It will be impacted. With that said who else would you want to take unheralded recruits and turn them into a good team? Pitino is perfect in many ways to build the program back up.

No thanks on Payne.

There is a reason Saint John doesn't have a coaching tree his system can't be duplicated. The people funneling him players aren't going to do the same for his assistants. Also, look how his assistants don't leave the nest either for other top assistant jobs or coaching jobs. I think he has had two coaches move on to head coaching jobs, one was fired and the other won't be too far behind. Guess where they will come back too.....UK. It is a system that is very difficult to duplicate without Cal.

Stevens or Marshall, either is a home run. I like Scotty Davenport but he is a little older than I would like to see our next Coach.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
The only problem keeping Pitino, if there is more to the story or a significant penalty, will be his recruiting. It will be impacted. With that said who else would you want to take unheralded recruits and turn them into a good team? Pitino is perfect in many ways to build the program back up.

No thanks on Payne.

There is a reason Saint John doesn't have a coaching tree his system can't be duplicated. The people funneling him players aren't going to do the same for his assistants. Also, look how his assistants don't leave the nest either for other top assistant jobs or coaching jobs. I think he has had two coaches move on to head coaching jobs, one was fired and the other won't be too far behind. Guess where they will come back too.....UK. It is a system that is very difficult to duplicate without Cal.

Most coaches don't have a coaching tree. Pitino was an exception, not the rule. Dean Smith. Knight had K, but who else with any staying power? Other than that, who has produced other coaches that became anywhere near as successful as themselves?

It's really amazing to consider Pitino's tree. Tubby won a title. Donovan won two. I'm probably forgetting someone else.

I didn't suggest Payne because he coaches under Cal. I suggested him because he can heal the program and bring the pro-Crum and pro-Pitino halves of the fan base together.

Hey double T, you suggest Payne because he would drive the program in the ground! The guy has no resume to deserve the job. We've moved on from the Crum "family" hires. T.J. and the Cards will go out and get a proven coach if and when that day comes. Payne as a suggestion is laughable.

Payne for our next HC? Hell no. He could probably get a head coaching job somewhere at a smaller school but is nowhere near qualified to take the reins at one of the top 5-7 programs in the country.

Stevens would be my first choice. I was always a big fan of that guy from Villanova but I feel they have fallen off over the course of the last 5 or 6 years. Still, put him at UofL and it may be a perfect match. Donovan would be a good choice but I think I'd like to see us take a look at Bill Self. He recruits top talent and I think he could even maximize that here with our facilities. Self would probably be my second choice.

He sounds like another Josh Pastner

Payne makes zero sense. Has the guy shown he can coach at all?

If you're a top 10 program, you have an opening, and you don't open the vault for Gregg Marshall, you're a fool. I would LOVE to have Marshall succeed Cal but he will likely get a big time job sooner rather than later.

Payne makes zero sense. Has the guy shown he can coach at all?

If you're a top 10 program, you have an opening, and you don't open the vault for Gregg Marshall, you're a fool. I would LOVE to have Marshall succeed Cal but he will likely get a big time job sooner rather than later.
Marshall has proven himself to be a really good coach but, I don't see him at UK. That job is only about 50% X's & O's (fortunately for Cal - lol) and 50% ego, spin, showmanship, PR and hucksterism - which is why guys like Pitino and Calipari are successful and Smith & Biily Clyde weren't. Someone like Sean Miller is really better designed for uk.

Also, Kenny Payne would be a TERRIBLE choice for Louisville - no offense to him but, UofL is waaaay bigger than that guy.

I don't view him as a traitor at all, anymore than UK fans should consider guys like Wayne Turner or Walter McCarty traitors for working at UofL. If your desire is to be a head coach someday, you don't turn down an opportunity like UK or UofL. As far as pursuing Kenny Payne, I would say no. From everything I remember and hear about him now, he is a good guy and very good recruiter, but he is not elite program head coach material at this point in his career. He may prove to be a great coach years down the road, but you don't get to learn the ropes at premier programs like Louisville. This isn't football, we (as well as UK), can't, and don't need to, take chances on highly regarded assistant coaches. And no, I don't think possible NCAA sanctions will deter a coaching search. It didn't hurt UK from getting Pitino.

Good points. However, you gotta think that sanctions may possible hurt. Pitino was nowhere near the coach or the big name he is now when UK hired him. Yeah, he was an NBA coach but didn't do great and was looking for a new opportunity. It's not like he was a Calipari or a Donovan is today.
To think that Steve Kerr is going to leave the NBA champs to come to UL is ridiculous. Same thing with Shaka Smart. I think a great hire and good possibility would be Marshall. He is on my short list to follow Cal at UK. I would say Sean Miller would be a possibility but he has things going in Zona and would be tough to leave there for UL at the moment. Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens are pipe dreams. Theyre not coming to UL. Now, UL is an elite job and will draw interest but nowhere near the interest it would if this scandal wasn't hanging on the roof. I think another good candidate would be Archie Miller at Dayton. He seems to be a great up and coming coach. Not sure Lil Ricky would have enough experience to get the job, nor do I believe they would want another Pitino taking over. If they do fire Rick, they will want to separate themselves from the Pitinos. Just my opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Morgantown Card
Stevens would be my first choice. I was always a big fan of that guy from Villanova but I feel they have fallen off over the course of the last 5 or 6 years. Still, put him at UofL and it may be a perfect match. Donovan would be a good choice but I think I'd like to see us take a look at Bill Self. He recruits top talent and I think he could even maximize that here with our facilities. Self would probably be my second choice.

You're even delusional on your own board. Stevens? Donovan? Self? You really think any of those guys are possibilities? I know UL is a good gig but come on, they're not going to leave their jobs to take over after this scandal. Those guys would be hard to get for anyone, even without anything hanging over the program. You throw the scandal in and you have NO chance at those guys. You gotta be realistic about it. You're looking at a guy like Marshall or Archie Miller. Just don't think UL can get those types of names at the moment.

I don't view him as a traitor at all, anymore than UK fans should consider guys like Wayne Turner or Walter McCarty traitors for working at UofL. If your desire is to be a head coach someday, you don't turn down an opportunity like UK or UofL. As far as pursuing Kenny Payne, I would say no. From everything I remember and hear about him now, he is a good guy and very good recruiter, but he is not elite program head coach material at this point in his career. He may prove to be a great coach years down the road, but you don't get to learn the ropes at premier programs like Louisville. This isn't football, we (as well as UK), can't, and don't need to, take chances on highly regarded assistant coaches
. And no, I don't think possible NCAA sanctions will deter a coaching search. It didn't hurt UK from getting Pitino. [/QUOTE]
Denny was a highly regarded coach coming from UCLA !
That was at the beginning of Rick's career, probably a lot different now he is close to the end of his career[/QUOTE]

IMO possible sanctions are not going to deter any coach from coming here, UofL will pay big money for a coach, they won't have any pressure on them to succeed right away and they'll have a chance to be a hero for bringing the program back to prominence.

IMO Even if we get hammered on this scandal the worst case scenario will losing a couple scholarships and a 2 year post season ban, we can be rebuilding during that time, as we've seen down the road it only takes one good recruiting class to be a contender.

You're even delusional on your own board. Stevens? Donovan? Self? You really think any of those guys are possibilities? I know UL is a good gig but come on, they're not going to leave their jobs to take over after this scandal. Those guys would be hard to get for anyone, even without anything hanging over the program. You throw the scandal in and you have NO chance at those guys. You gotta be realistic about it. You're looking at a guy like Marshall or Archie Miller. Just don't think UL can get those types of names at the moment.
I can think of plenty of reasons a coach would and should choose us over Kansas.
-Since 1980 we have 3 championships to their 2.
-It's middle of nowhere Kansas. Louisville is far and away a superior location. Gotta imagine the coach would have a better time recruiting and it definitely offers a better quality of life.
-ACC>Big 12. No contest.
-Facilities. Allen Fieldhouse is great but we have the best arena in college basketball. No contest.
-A more supportive fan base. We have the most knowledgeable and practical fans.
Really the question should be why wouldnt you leave Kansas for us? Because of some overblown allegations? Get out of here with that stuff. That story will be done with in no time.

Most coaches don't have a coaching tree. Pitino was an exception, not the rule. Dean Smith. Knight had K, but who else with any staying power? Other than that, who has produced other coaches that became anywhere near as successful as themselves?

It's really amazing to consider Pitino's tree. Tubby won a title. Donovan won two. I'm probably forgetting someone else.

I didn't suggest Payne because he coaches under Cal. I suggested him because he can heal the program and bring the pro-Crum and pro-Pitino halves of the fan base together.

I wouldn't consider Tubby from Pitino's tree. Tubby never ever used Pitino's coaching system or philosophies. Tubby used the flex offence and ball line defense that he picked up at Virginia Commonwealth. Most every coach that used the combination of flex O and ball-line D have been out of coaching for years. Tubby is the exception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT