ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Ok, I am extremely frustrated over this ACCT performance which very likely has cost the team a national seed. I also know there is more baseball to be played this year. Yet, again, I am frustrated and need something to think about other than these last two games.
Thoughts on next year? We lose a lot of experience and power. Lots of guys to fill in the gaps for positions. Pitching is my concern. I really thought Covid had a real effect on our staff last year as opposed to it being a talent issue.I am not so sure now. Who on this current staff has shown starter potential for next year? Phillips is the only one that jumps out to me - maybe Maybe Lohman if he opts to come back for an extra year; but has never been able to find any consistency. I still see Tate, Ryan and Evan as bullpen guys. I like what I have seen (in spurts) from Walter, Galvan Liggett and Grundy. All the others - meh. Korbett-great Fr year, inconsistent this year. Dowling- didn’t show much. Koger-just bad. Ferris-didn’t show much. Weigman-inconsistent. Jacob Miller appears to be the top pitcher coming in next year. Main takeaway - inconsistency. This gives me very little confidence about next year’s staff. I really hope we do not bring in any Juco pitchers. If we bring any pitchers in they need to be from a D1 school (IMO). Feel free to pick apart my thoughts. I hope a Fr comes in and can earn a starting role.

Don't ask me to tell you who,but I'm hearing from a guy I've known for years who is close to the program that help is on the way. I trust this guy. He was referring to pitchers.
Yes,we lose a lot of homers. Tough to get past that. I'm ok with that if we just have a group that puts the ball in play and out of the air.
The Program will be fine. My 2 cents.

I believe Earsky is much closer to the truth than we know! I was at the FCA Dinner a few weeks ago and had the rare opportunity to talk to CDM; one comment that stayed with me, was the high level of talent he has coming into 2023.

I agree about the hitting. While HRs are great I am all for contact hitters up and down the lineup. Knap, Humphrey, Payton, Beard. If pitching can improve next year’s team will be as competitive as ever.

A quick look reveals three incoming players who pitch have velocities in the mid-90s!! Will they come to campus or go is the big question.

A quick look reveals three incoming players who pitch have velocities in the mid-90s!! Will they come to campus or go is the big question.
As is the case with Cam Collier,the highest ranked recruit in the class. Third baseman/ pitcher who also throws low 90s. Was he one of the guys you looked at? The best chance we've got to retain Cam is his age. He's only 17,won't be 18 till next Fall. He hopefully believes his time here will be the best thing for his future.
Knap,Smith,Payton,Beard,Humphrey.
A healthy Eddie King Jr who has Redshirted for injury. Redshirts Cook and Reid,caught up in numbers crunch at their positions and lastly Hawkins.
Not sure who stays,but that first group most assuredly will be back and that's a really good core to work with.

Yep Cam is one of them. Jacob Miller and Ethan Patera are the other two. Perfect Game lists them all with mid-90s fastball velocity. We really need to have a year when a couple of our top 2-3 recruits come to school.

Yep Cam is one of them. Jacob Miller and Ethan Patera are the other two. Perfect Game lists them all with mid-90s fastball velocity. We really need to have a year when a couple of our top 2-3 recruits come to school.
Hey Bardman,saw my man over there today. Tucker Biven from New Albany was one of the guys he was referring to.
He said he was at the Indiana sectional final Monday. Biven struck out 15.
He's signed with us for next season.

Reactions: Bardman
If I understood Sean correctly yesterday, he said “everyone has a chance to return next season”. While I am not sure he meant that literally; I interpreted his brief comment that Covid variance ruling are still in effect that would grant extra eligibility for some of our Seniors who might like another year in college to advance their draft status.

If I understood Sean correctly yesterday, he said “everyone has a chance to return next season”. While I am not sure he meant that literally; I interpreted his brief comment that Covid variance ruling are still in effect that would grant extra eligibility for some of our Seniors who might like another year in college to advance their draft status.
I would say probably everybody but Bianco,who's probably about 25 by now.Lol
I think the guys that get drafted in those 20 rounds will probably be gone.

Am I wrong or does it appear that all of our 3 year pitchers will be back with the exception of Prosecky?
Phillips,Hawks and Kuehner are a pretty good core of guys to build a staff around if so.

Yep. And, there are very good young arms in the mix. Ljggett, Webster, Galvan, Gundy, Koger, Weigman, Walter. Lots of potential.

Reactions: shutterbug
Knap, Payton, Humphrey,Beard, Smith
King Jr,Hawkins,Cook,Calise, Benson, Anderson and Bode.
Purportedly in the transfer pool: Wescott,Reid and I don't know who else.
Can anyone shed some light on who else might be coming back as far as the pitchers or entering the portal from the list of guys mentioned above?

Knap, Payton, Humphrey,Beard, Smith
King Jr,Hawkins,Cook,Calise, Benson, Anderson and Bode.
Purportedly in the transfer pool: Wescott,Reid and I don't know who else.
Can anyone shed some light on who else might be coming back as far as the pitchers or entering the portal from the list of guys mentioned above?
I think Bode has already entered the transfer portal and will play at IU.

I was sure he was going to split time behind the plate this year with Jack. Maybe there is too much talent at catcher coming in. Obviously he could just not be happy here and wants a change.

I was sure he was going to split time behind the plate this year with Jack. Maybe there is too much talent at catcher coming in. Obviously he could just not be happy here and wants a change.
Idk Bardman but I just read an older article about Will Vierner and Matt Klein from Trinity. I think it was from the Card Chronicle and it basically said that with these 2 guys the future was set at catcher.
Maybe Bode read it too idk.
On another note, look for Mr Baseball Forbes from Bowling Green to transition to pitching. Looking forward to seeing the Freshmen in a few months.

Reactions: shutterbug
Actually, I heard he wasn't catching that much this summer so he may have decided to concentrate on another position...

Interesting. I guess until an updated roster comes out or someone close to the program gets some intel we are in the dark.

Reactions: earsky
Just checked the transfer portal - with very little success. However, holy cow - LSU snagged multiple highly ranked transfers - yikes!

LSU got tired of watching their neighbors Ole Miss and MSU enjoying so much of the success representing the SEC in the College World Series. This transfer portal is an easy way to become relevant quickly. The increase in the MLB drafting HS Seniors is only going to further advance the Transfer portal as the way schools advance their baseball programs.

Just checked the transfer portal - with very little success. However, holy cow - LSU snagged multiple highly ranked transfers - yikes!
I believe that's how A&M built there team last season and it worked out fairly well, although that can be tough sometimes to bring in that many. I'm hoping we've got a really good core of veterans,along with some really good looking Frosh that will mesh into a contender for the elusive National Title.
I would think that if you lost most of your best commits and a healthy chunk of vets to the draft,you better have a plan B.😅(LSU,Vandy and the likes that is)

Last edited:
So far it doesn’t appear CDM has really considered the portal as a viable recruiting option (unless I am just forgetting someone). We have had Juco guys and a transfer here and there (more traditional transfers before the portal junk).

So far it doesn’t appear CDM has really considered the portal as a viable recruiting option (unless I am just forgetting someone). We have had Juco guys and a transfer here and there (more traditional transfers before the portal junk).
I think CDM spends a great deal of time in his recruitment of players to fit the type of player he wants. For instance, he likes catchers who can run, he likes all of his players to be able to run. So it is not as easy to go out and replace a player he already feels fits his style with someone who has been coached under a different philosophy. Obviously, things have mostly worked out for CDM.

Interesting. I guess until an updated roster comes out or someone close to the program gets some intel we are in the dark.
Nothing official but I am hearing that Rocko Brzeniak (sp?) won't be here in the fall. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge can comment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT