ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA has responded to U of L

FURYREVENGE4

One-Star Poster
Mar 20, 2017
NCAA rejects U of Ls defense of Rick.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The NCAA enforcement staff has responded to the University of Louisville's reply to allegations against it surrounding the sex-for-recruits scandal within its men's basketball program.

From the 118-page redacted NCAA response released on Thursday, the four major takeaways:

-- The NCAA has roundly rejected arguments U of L made in its defense involving strippers and prostitutes being provided for recruits at the men's basketball dorm

Last edited:
what does that mean for the program?
Not 100% sure but I believe the program itself is in the clear. Pitino on the other hand will be suspended for some unknown amount of games (more than likely) IMO. From what I've read, the NCAA is saying Pitino did not make frequent spot checks, ask the proper questions, or solicit honest feedback or in other words, he didn't want to know what was going on. Basically, he failed to monitor his program.

None of us will ever know the truth IMO. I suspect there are 3 sides to this issue. Pitino's, the NCAA's, and the truth.

Not 100% sure but I believe the program itself is in the clear. Pitino on the other hand will be suspended for some unknown amount of games (more than likely) IMO. From what I've read, the NCAA is saying Pitino did not make frequent spot checks, ask the proper questions, or solicit honest feedback or in other words, he didn't want to know what was going on. Basically, he failed to monitor his program.

None of us will ever know the truth IMO. I suspect there are 3 sides to this issue. Pitino's, the NCAA's, and the truth.

Coach Pitino will be suspended 3-9 games.
Probably an additional year of probation.

Coach Pitino wanted to know. He was lied to, yet he still could have did a check on that clown who was supposed to keep this stuff away.
He gave the idiot the benefit of the doubt and it burned the program.

Reactions: Deeva
Coach Pitino will be suspended 3-9 games.
Probably an additional year of probation.

Coach Pitino wanted to know. He was lied to, yet he still could have did a check on that clown who was supposed to keep this stuff away.
He gave the idiot the benefit of the doubt and it burned the program.

Syracuse was on probation and boehiem suspended. we put ourselves on probation, took scholly's. I bet pitino just gets suspended and that's it

Reactions: Kentucky31
That third side is Pitino's/U of L's. They're in bed together.

And there's not going to be a penalty on Pitino--if it ever occurs--until those guys agree with the NCAA. This could just be the beginning of a long fight.

You (re-)learned a few valuable lessons in here...
  • The NCAA is still comprised of idiots you can't trust.
  • U of L was foolish to have agreed to anything until everything had been negotiated.
  • The postseason ban was way premature.
  • Chuck Smrt wasn't worth the paper his check was printed on.

Reactions: Deeva and Cue Card
That third side is Pitino's/U of L's. They're in bed together.

And there's not going to be a penalty on Pitino--if it ever occurs--until those guys agree with the NCAA. This could just be the beginning of a long fight.

You (re-)learned a few valuable lessons in here...
  • The NCAA is still comprised of idiots you can't trust.
  • U of L was foolish to have agreed to anything until everything had been negotiated.
  • The postseason ban was way premature.
  • Chuck Smrt wasn't worth the paper his check was printed on.
100% agree. I still think the truth is somewhere in between though (as it usually is).

What we know fo sure.

1. M(youknowwho) lost his coaching career and IMO he should have. (Thanks Kerry!)

2. Pitino is going to lose money which he has plenty of.

3. The university has already lost money due to the self imposed ban and hiring the former NCAA investigator as a consultant.

4. Powell got her 15 minutes of fame (maybe a few extra bucks), and possibly a few extra clients.

Last edited:
100% agree. I still think the truth is somewhere in between though (as it usually is).

What we know fo sure.

1. Cards player never to be named ever
lost his coaching career and IMO he should have.

2. Pitino is going to lose money which he has plenty of.

3. The university has already lost money due to the self imposed ban and hiring the former NCAA investigator as a consultant.

4. Whoor got her 15 minutes of fame (maybe a few extra bucks), and possibly a few extra clients.

Fixed it for you.,

Im just guessing an additional year of probation which means another year they have to be perfect.

If we get put on probation for another year I might not even watch. Pointless to watch knowing the whole time there is 0 chance of playing in the post season. I hated that last year.

If we get put on probation for another year I might not even watch. Pointless to watch knowing the whole time there is 0 chance of playing in the post season. I hated that last year.

Probation not post season ban.

This means UofL will have to be squeaky clean , otherwise they would get hit with LOIC,
thus devastating the program; Coach fired. Post season bans. Scholarship reductions. Transfers.

Reactions: HRTheCard
I could see a 2 or 3 year probationary period. There won't be any further post season ban. The 1 year self imposed post season ban should have satisified the NCAA that the university president and athletic director were serious about addressing the issue.

I'm going to say Pitino gets a 9 game suspension without pay, and 2 years probation. No further scholarship reduction and no more post season ban.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
The NCAA believes that members of our coaching staff paid for sex for recruits.

Sorry if I am not full of optimism. Not sure anything that came out today should give us any more hope either.

I usually get on this time of year and read about recruiting, who's staying, etc. Now this all I can think about. I think it could get worse before it gets any better.

Reactions: Kentucky31 and awf
Shortsighted and a bad attitude...

Whst else should they do?

Hindsight is 20 20.
The correctable measures are in place.
You had 3 players verbal to UofL, 1 play DESPITE the shenanigans.

Its a black eye and embarrassing. Cards did the crime, now theyre doingbthe time.
So many Universities have gone/are going through problems.

As long as there are no vacated wins, im happy with the punishments.

Sorry if I am not full of optimism. Not sure anything that came out today should give us any more hope either.

I usually get on this time of year and read about recruiting, who's staying, etc. Now this all I can think about. I think it could get worse before it gets any better.
I'm not sure if you understand the process... It can only get worse for Pitino personally. Any major stuff involving U of L is over.

Now, do I think U of L will just roll over because it's relegated to Pitino? Not in your life. Pitino and Jurich are joined at the hip, and Pitino went along with this suicide idea AKA "postseason ban." They will fight big time to keep Pitino's name in the clear.

So it's only getting worse in terms of time until final resolution. Penalties involving U of L are set...

3 post in 7 years ?
What do you stash a bunch of user IDs o_O

Reactions: earsky and Cue Card
I'm not sure if you understand the process... It can only get worse for Pitino personally. Any major stuff involving U of L is over.

Now, do I think U of L will just roll over because it's relegated to Pitino? Not in your life. Pitino and Jurich are joined at the hip, and Pitino went along with this suicide idea AKA "postseason ban." They will fight big time to keep Pitino's name in the clear.

So it's only getting worse in terms of time until final resolution. Penalties involving U of L are set...
How can you possibly know that?

They can fight all they want.
His defense was rejected.
He will be suspended.
Of course the calls for his head arent far behind.

Most fans can live with him being suspended. If he cant, tough.

How can you possibly know that?
Because despite how much it pains slapd!cks, U of L and the NCAA agree on everything else including the self imposed penalties. The only thing left is Pitino and a possible suspension which I ain't convinced is happening at all.

Slappies need to focus on winning games at a point in the tournament where they usually have problems.

"Elite program," my a$$...

He will be suspended.

I hope they fight it tooth and nail to the Supreme Court. That's what they should have done from the beginning based on the flimsy evidence and purported "benefits."

U of L's learned a valuable lesson (again)... Don't trust a bastard you can't trust.

Because despite how much it pains slapd!cks, U of L and the NCAA agree on everything else including the self imposed penalties. The only thing left is Pitino and a possible suspension which I ain't convinced is happening at all.
What are you basing that on? Without even looking through Louisville's submission and the NCAA's response, it appears they disagree as to the "value" of the "impermissible benefits" and, more importantly, the relevance of any such valuation (i.e., the NCAA -- or at least the enforcement staff -- does not care about the value in this type of case given what the "benefit" was).

I hope they fight it tooth and nail to the Supreme Court. That's what they should have done from the beginning based on the flimsy evidence and purported "benefits."

U of L's learned a valuable lesson (again)... Don't trust a bastard you can't trust.

By taking a self imposed ban an scholly reduction is basically admitting wrongdoing.

He will be suspended.

You mean the calls for his head will return. There have been plenty of people in the past who felt Pitino should have been fired a long time ago. I'm OK with it though because I honestly feel he just trusted his staff a little too much. He delegated instead of monitoring and it will cost him. He's human, and like most successful people, he has enemies who want to jump on him at a moments notice when it's convenient to do so. I'm not falling for that trap. He'll retire from coaching the Cardinals when he decides to retire. Not a minute before.

By taking a self imposed ban an scholly reduction is basically admitting wrongdoing.
It's really admitting nothing. Settlements are cut everyday that admit or find nothing. It's usually done for expediency. U of L's finding out now how much that was worth...

My "shortsighted" remark was in response to the save-the-banner-at-all-costs comment. That sounds like something like a slappy would say...

If the banner came down (which it wont), it wouldn't be the only punishment.
Where do you get all cost ? Thats something a slappy would say.

They self imposed a ban , scholly reductions and recruiting limitations.
Theyll accept a suspension on failure to monitor the traitor from California.

Well, you clearly have more time as of now, so what is your substantive (as opposed to ad hominem) response?
U of L has other sports that matter in full swing. We're not a one-trick pony like you're familiar with.

It's really admitting nothing. Settlements are cut everyday that admit or find nothing. It's usually done for expediency. U of L's finding out now how much that was worth...
Louisville's statement today says otherwise: "We continue to regret that NCAA legislation was violated by a former UofL employee. His behavior was shameful and wrong. This behavior is the reason we self-imposed severe penalties on ourselves."

Louisville's statement today says otherwise: "We continue to regret that NCAA legislation was violated by a former UofL employee. His behavior was shameful and wrong. This behavior is the reason we self-imposed severe penalties on ourselves."
U of L's going to SAY a lot to get it in the rear view mirror. The mistake they made was thinking that following the NCAA script was going to get other stuff promised or assumed. And because they're dealing with the NCAA, those were poor assumptions.

Why is a slapd!ck so ill-informed about how NCAA penalties are meted out?

From another poster ;

We won't get anymore bans or vacated wins and here's why: the PROGRAM was not charged with any major violations. No failure to monitor or LOIC. Those are the most serious and we were never accused of those. We were never accused of using ineligible players. PITINO himself has been charged with failure to monitor an employee NOT his program. The only thing left on the table is Pitino getting suspended. This was both sides presenting their cases and now the COI will decide what happens. This was not an appeal that was rejected. This is the NCAA saying we're not buying your defense and will continue to "prosecute" Pitino. It's heavily focused on Pitino because that's the charge we are rebutting. Pitino will have the chance to present his case to the COI this summer. No reason to panic. Eric Crawford said he'd be shocked if Pitino got more than 5 games because he wasn't charged with failure to monitor his program like Boeheim and Brown were, just his employee. We will keep the banner and will get to play in the postseason. The only reason that would in jeopardy is if there were charges against the program, which there are not.

Nothing changed from the original allegations. The NCAA didn't change their position which is no surprise. Did anyone think the NCAA was going to say their wrong? Pitino gets a number of game suspensions after a legal dance this summer. The ban and loss of scholarship will be it for the university. So no the university didn't jump the gun because we were going to get hit. UL was doing nothing more than trying to clear Pitino name. How the NCAA handles this from here on out will determine how other universities respond in the future. They slam UL as a school with more than we've already done the NCAA will get fights in the future like UNC is putting up. This thing has hung over our heads for nearly 2 years I would hate for it to go on for two or three more years. That's not to say they won't punish Pitino.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT