ADVERTISEMENT

Much maligned relief pitching was superb Sunday

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
UNC has some serious hitters, but for 11 shutout innings this rotation delivered some disciplined pitching. In those 5 extra innings, there was only one walk, and only 5 walks the entire game. Carter Lohman was in total command of his pitches, catching the low inside corner multiple times on the right hand batters that he faced.

Reactions: earsky
UNC has some serious hitters, but for 11 shutout innings this rotation delivered some disciplined pitching. In those 5 extra innings, there was only one walk, and only 5 walks the entire game. Carter Lohman was in total command of his pitches, catching the low inside corner multiple times on the right hand batters that he faced.
Agree about UNC. I gotta say,I was totally surprised by Lohman's command of the breaking ball. He could make a push to crack the starting 4 man rotation if that's how he's gonna pitch.

Agreed; Carter appeared to be relaxed and confident as soon as he reached the mound. It starts with self confidence, and he sure exhibited no sign of feeling pressure despite a pressure-packed situation.

Sometimes I forget what Roger Willams can do during the season to work on improving his rotation.

Reactions: earsky
Agreed; Carter appeared to be relaxed and confident as soon as he reached the mound. It starts with self confidence, and he sure exhibited no sign of feeling pressure despite a pressure-packed situation.

Sometimes I forget what Roger Willams can do during the season to work on improving his rotation.
Alright,so going back to the fallout following Kuehner's second straight dismal performance Friday night,I'm on record as saying that CDM would stay the course with Kuehner,hoping that the warmer weather would bring about a significant change in form for him.
However,after watching what unfolded on Sunday with Phillips' low pitch count and the unexpected form reversal for Lohman,could we see a somewhat bold shifting around of the starting weekend rotation?
Perhaps Red goes to Friday,Poland stays at Saturday,Lohman on Sunday and Kuehner moving to Tuesdays?Just a thought. Stay tuned....

I still like Prosecky as a starter. That would give you a hell of a 1-2 punch. They both have swing and miss stuff. With this offense that may just do the trick.

Bullpen wise use the whole group. 1 inning at a time. It is nice to have a dominant closer but he is worthless if you can’t get to him. There are good enough arms to manage 3-4 innings.

I still like Prosecky as a starter. That would give you a hell of a 1-2 punch. They both have swing and miss stuff. With this offense that may just do the trick.

Bullpen wise use the whole group. 1 inning at a time. It is nice to have a dominant closer but he is worthless if you can’t get to him. There are good enough arms to manage 3-4 innings.
We might see something coming one way or another.

I love the one inning stint idea. Why not? Seems like many of the guys are good for one inning. Then, maybe two on occasion. You have plenty of arms. Plus, if I pitch on Friday I can certainly pitch again Sunday (for an inning or two).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT