ADVERTISEMENT

Detmers throws 109th Immaculate inning in MLB

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Los Angeles Angels starter Reid Detmers became the first pitcher in seven years with a no-hitter and an immaculate inning in the same season, achieving the latter against the Texas Rangers on Sunday.

The Rangers matched the 1979 San Francisco Giants as the only lineups to have three immaculate innings thrown against them in a season. Houston got Texas for two immaculate innings in the same game June 15.

Detmers, who pitched a no-hitter against Tampa Bay on May 10, struck out three Texas hitters on nine pitches in the second inning for the 109th immaculate inning in baseball history.

The left-handed Detmers struck out Ezequiel Duran, Kole Calhoun and Charlie Culberson. It is the fourth immaculate inning in the majors this year.
The Rangers became the first team to have it happen twice in the same game when Astros starter Luis Garcia retired the side in the second inning and reliever Phil Maton did it in the seventh on June 15.

Duran has been one of the batters in all three against the Rangers, a first according to MLB.com.

Detmers has struggled since his no-hitter. He was sent down to Triple-A Salt Lake for a couple of weeks before being recalled.

Before Detmers, Houston's Mike Fiers in 2015 was the latest to do the immaculate/no-hitter double in the same year.

It is only the third immaculate inning in Angels history, with all three occurring in the second inning. Nolan Ryan was the first on July 9, 1972, against Boston, and Garrett Richards accomplished it on June 4, 2014, at Houston.

Immaculate innings remain special but aren't as rare as they once were. This is the 10th since 2020 and 61st since 2000. There were none recorded from 1929 to '52.

Nice.
Detmers with 12 ks,no decision as the Angels bullpen can’t hold down the Rangers in the 9th.
Three hits scattered over 7 innings. The no hitter earlier withstanding,he’s really pitching well.

Last edited:
he's been on a streak since being sent down after the no-no...

SEATTLE — The new and improved Reid Detmers continues to give the Angels hope for the future.

Detmers gave up one run in seven innings in the Angels’ 7-1 victory over the Seattle Mariners in the second game of a split doubleheader on Saturday night.
Detmers’ performance, along with homers by Mickey Moniak and David Fletcher, helped the Angels split after they lost the first game, 2-1.

The 23-year-old rookie left-hander, has now posted a 1.16 ERA over 31 innings in five starts since he returned from a brief demotion to Triple-A. He has struck out 38 and walked 10.

Even though he’d pitched a no-hitter in May, Detmers had a 4.66 ERA when he was sent down in June. At Salt Lake, Detmers made a minor tweak to his delivery that helped him throw his slider, and since then he’s been a different pitcher.
“I think you’re seeing a really good one just growing before our eyes,” Nevin said. “He’s making adjustments on the mound. Today he was able to land changeups behind in the count. The slider was what it’s been his last few times out.”

Nevin was particularly impressed with the way he finished.

Detmers cruised through the first four innings, allowing just one hit. The Mariners began to get to him in the fifth, including a Luis Torrens homer. Detmers got a double play to escape in the sixth. In the seventh, he gave up two hits as his pitch-count reached 100.

Nevin left him in the game, and he struck out Sam Haggerty — who had two of the hits against him — on his 106th pitch of the night.

“To me it’s a learning moment for him,” Nevin said. “I want him to be able to pitch out of those jams. He’s somebody that we consider that’s going to pitch at the front end of a rotation and those guys do that. They reach back when their pitch count is up where it was and get big outs in the seventh and eighth innings. We saw in the no-hitter obviously he got hungry and went after guys and then we’re seeing it more and more each time out. I feel like he’s he’s improving each time.”

Detmers said he appreciated his manager’s confidence to try to get out of that inning.

“That was huge,” Detmers said. “Obviously. I wanted to finish the seventh. I didn’t know if my pitch count was going to let me. I got out of it. Got a couple swings and misses. It felt good.”

Nevin gave him the opportunity because he was trying to preserve the bullpen in the second game of a doubleheader and also because the offense had provided a 5-1 lead.

Reactions: earsky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT