ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft

I imagine he’ll take that opportunity too. 10th round for a Sr isn’t bad at all.

I was the one who said something about Miller. Met his dad at the regional and knew his AAU coach through a mutual friend. At the time I was told that he would only sign if the number was really high. Guessing that the 46th pick and him going to the draft was the number they were looking for.

CDM added a LHP late in the recruiting cycle probably anticipating a loss or two from the class. Hopefully the rest are all safe now.

There's only so many High School kids that get drafted in the first couple of rounds,then it seems like an onslaught of college players going in rounds 3-10.
We were obviously hoping Miller wouldn't be one of those early guys.
Could be worse. Could be Vandy or LSU.

My question is there really room in professional baseball for 176+ players every year? Are there that many existing rosters that are being shuffled out of the system?

If I was the parent of one of these late round draftees, I would like to see the statistical data on financial outcome. I would not be so concerned for the College Seniors, but underclassmen and HS kids should have some understanding as to the percentage of those who are successful in signing early.

Reactions: earsky
There's only so many High School kids that get drafted in the first couple of rounds,then it seems like an onslaught of college players going in rounds 3-10.
We were obviously hoping Miller wouldn't be one of those early guys.
Could be worse. Could be Vandy or LSU.
I weep for both programs 🤡

My question is there really room in professional baseball for 176+ players every year? Are there that many existing rosters that are being shuffled out of the system?

If I was the parent of one of these late round draftees, I would like to see the statistical data on financial outcome. I would not be so concerned for the College Seniors, but underclassmen and HS kids should have some understanding as to the percentage of those who are successful in signing early.
Well,a couple of things come to mind. I know that there are probably insurance policies that are available for kids wanting to hold off on the dream of starting their pro careers and risking injury at the college level. I just don't know how that works.
To me,the financial situation of the family probably is at the forefront of most decisions to take the money and run. It is just a real way of looking at a lot of these kids and their families.

Now what? Lots of arms go undrafted while Masterman does as well.
Card commit Dickerson goes in the last round to the Twins. He'll look better in Red and Black.

dodger fan here so it's pretty cool. miller hasn't made it yet to the show. but still awesome.
Kirk Gibson can f#&k off!

Lol, he's actually a good guy but I grew up from my little league days a big A's fan. After that BS loss to the Dodgers and then getting swept by the Reds a few years later, I moved on from my childhood/teenage team.

The superstation and the Braves became my team to this day and the satisfaction I felt last October beating the Dodgers was on par with the Cards 2013 title.

Plus, there were a couple assholes I worked with who were Dodgers fans and they are UK fans as well.

I do believe Will Smith got snubbed for the all star game and should have went ahead of the Braves catcher Travis d'Naurd..

Reactions: glassmanJ
I’d be surprised if Korbyn signs a contract. The top arms did get taken. Poland and Prosecky. Masterman…Who knows what happens. Now we all wait and listen for news from the baseball complex.

Masterman…Who knows what happens
I'm guessing Cam signs a free agent contract. Idk,just a guess.If the 3rd year pitchers all return,we'll have as veteran of a staff as I can ever recall next year.

Not sure I saw this posted. Gavin Kilen, SS from WI taken by Boston in the 13th round. That’s two SSs drafted from our class (Logan, 6th round). Obviously these two are not 1/2 round guys and signing money drops off quite a bit as the rounds progress. But, a HS 6th round pick - tough call to come to school or go pro.

Not sure I saw this posted. Gavin Kilen, SS from WI taken by Boston in the 13th round. That’s two SSs drafted from our class (Logan, 6th round). Obviously these two are not 1/2 round guys and signing money drops off quite a bit as the rounds progress. But, a HS 6th round pick - tough call to come to school or go pro.
Didn't we hear we might lose 4-5 commits somewhere earlier? I'm guessing Logan will sign and Kilen is another 50/50 guy.🤞
So as it stands now, we probably will lose Collier,Miller and Logan for sure with the other two hopefully holding off on starting their pro careers.

Reactions: Bardman
Didn't we hear we might lose 4-5 commits somewhere earlier? I'm guessing Logan will sign and Kilen is another 50/50 guy.🤞
So as it stands now, we probably will lose Collier,Miller and Logan for sure with the other two hopefully holding off on starting their pro careers.
My guess as well.

Kirk Gibson can f#&k off!

Lol,
i was at GA Tech my sophomore year, living in an off campus townhouse, watching in my t-shirt and boxers, and i remember thinking that may have been the highest i've ever jumped in my life and the loudest i ever screamed. and every time i see the replay i still get goose bumps. to quote jack buck, "I don't beleive what I just saw". and in seeing interviews later, gibson had studied eck and saw he liked to go back door slider deep in the count and eck threw it...and same with you on the superstation, braves and wgn for cubs. you learned to root for them becasue they were the only games on. otis nixon, pascal perez, dale murphy, sid bream, and the pitching staff of course. chicks dig the long ball LOL

I was a baseball nut as a kid, especially with stats. I became a Braves fan watching the superstation. I just couldn't be a Cubs fan and Harry Carey got on my nerves.

Dale Murphy was my fav until he retired but it was the worst to first 1991 season that put my childhood A's fandom to bed. Ron Gant and Dave Justice and John Smoltz were my favorite players.

I often wondered all these years later would I have stayed with the Braves had they been a one and done winning team and went back to losing. But 1991 was just the start of 14 straight division titles. I was hooked for life.

Last years world series title made up for a lot of Braves postseason frustrations. They're very much like Louisville Cardinals hoops. A team that wins a whole lot but only a few titles to show for it. The women's team and the baseball program still haven't won that first title despite being a elite team.

It was such an unexpected title last year. It would be like Louisville winning it all as a #7 seed.

Braves look better this season and I fear the Dodgers more than the Mets.

Reactions: glassmanJ
Maybe I missed it here, but…Carter Lohman signed a FA contract.

Anybody heard anything about Wagner signing a contract with the Dodgers yet? I haven’t seen anything online yet.

Has anyone actually signed yet? Other than free agent contracts….

Sorry, hopefully my comment wasn’t taken out of context. I was actually asking the question…’Has anyone signed yet?’ Each year it is tricky trying figure out who signed a pro contract (recruits and team members), who transferred out or in, any seniors who may be sticking around, which recruits made it (or dis not make it) to campus.

No worries.it wasn’t. You’re right,it’s a different animal than other sports. Everything does seem more tight lipped in the baseball circles. I tried to find this particular kid on Twitter and he doesn’t have an account so you have to rely either on second hand information or the Dodgers web site,which btw I haven’t checked yet.

Ah ha! I found a draft tracker on their website and they’ve yet to sign any of their drafts yet. Probably negotiating as we type. Stay tuned.

So,just to expand on this topic a little bit. Each team that drafts has until August 1st to “come to terms” with its draft picks.
I only looked at the Dodgers’ site that has a draft tracker section. Dalton’s slot value at the 40th pick is 1.9 million while it drops off significantly when you get to Wagner’s slot which is a quarter million(not nearly as enticing imo). Either way,we should know much more by the weekend.

Jacob Miller did sign on Friday with the Marlins,although terms were not disclosed.
Poland has not signed yet with the same team.
Miller’s slot value is 1.6 million while JP’s is 300k.
Just to help everyone understand better,slot values only apply to first 10 round picks. You can google each team’s draft tracker and keep up to date on signings.

Last edited:
Wagner signs 600k deal,well over his slot value per twitter.
Usher signs for 72500,well under his slot value of 150k

As far as I know, Dickerson and Gillen have not signed a contract. I hope this sticks and these two young men are wearing Red and Black in the Fall. As of the deadline yesterday,I don’t think either has signed.

Reactions: PushupMan and Deeva
JP signed with the Marlins for 150k.
I just wanna say good luck to all of the Cards drafted or free agents that signed and are moving on. Hope to see you guys in The Show some day. Thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: shutterbug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT