ADVERTISEMENT

Returning Seniors

Cardsfan25

Getting the Hang of It
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2007
After the NCAA granted a free Covid pass for eligibility it‘s been brutal keeping up with who has remaining years and who doesn’t. Do we have any seniors that can/will return next year? I’m assuming if they participated in Senior Day Saturday they are gone but like I said, I can’t keep up with eligibility anymore lol

No idea. It is very confusing right now. My best guess to who will not be back next year (main contributors):

Masterman, Usher, Metzinger, Bianco, Rushing, Poland, Seng. Lots of lost power!

Reactions: Cardsfan25
No idea. It is very confusing right now. My best guess to who will not be back next year (main contributors):

Masterman, Usher, Metzinger, Bianco, Rushing, Poland, Seng. Lots of lost power!
McDonnell will have his toughest job since being here next season. He loses his top 4 HR hitters, his best defensive player and his only ACE starting pitcher. I think he may have to reconsider his stance on the transfer portal.

We have had some good transfers previously. May also depend on how they truly feel about the incoming FR class. With pitching…we all know there is talent. Can that talent be consistent talent? That, as we know, has been the problem.

My first question would be is the draft back to what it used to be completely?
If so,I'd say everybody that gets drafted will be gone.
As far as the cupboards being empty,the word on the street is there's some serious talent coming in,especially at the pitching position.
Replacing the home runs probably a bit harder to do.
Have to say though,we're watching a lot of young,budding superstars around the country,Freshmen and Sophomores that absolutely are destroying the ball. Maybe we've signed one or two guys like that,Idk.

McDonnell will have his toughest job since being here next season. He loses his top 4 HR hitters, his best defensive player and his only ACE starting pitcher. I think he may have to reconsider his stance on the transfer portal.
I’d argue his toughest year was this year. He did an outstanding job. He trained/coached those guys up big time.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
Barrett and Westcott have entered the transfer portal according to Card Chronicle. I think McDonnell has to look at the portal for at least a couple guys. I would think there would be some very talented players who would jump at the chance to play at Louisville.

Reactions: rh62531
Draft this year is 20 rounds. Not surprised by Westcott. Barrett - a little surprised. Maybe Westcott doesn’t think he could beat out Anderson at 1B. Barrett - did he fall into the doghouse maybe?

Draft this year is 20 rounds. Not surprised by Westcott. Barrett - a little surprised. Maybe Westcott doesn’t think he could beat out Anderson at 1B. Barrett - did he fall into the doghouse maybe?
Couple of different scenarios I see that could have fueled Prescott wanting to transfer. Depending on whether or not Cam Collier makes it to campus after the draft,he is a 3rd baseman. That might mean he could play 1st or Anderson could slide over there if Beard doesn't.
And to add to the mix,we have the #1 shortstop in Ohio redshirting this year in Kurtis Reed. I'm just throwing out scenarios. Hell,Reed could end up in the outfield,who knows.

Last edited:
Lohman has been in college for a few years already but I’d love to see him come back and take a weekend spot next year. I think his pitch mix gives him a chance to be drafted though and he’s already 22

I thought Prosecky was a Soph and I was wrong. Doubtful he returns. I doubt the two guys entering the portal are doing so because of NIL. Playing time, want to be closer to home, just not happy, etc. - who knows. Baseball transfers happen (a lot) - UofL has been fortunate to not lose very many.

Don’t understand why these guys enter the transfer portal when a CWS berth is still a possibility?
The timing is definitely strange to me. It's not really a huge surprise there are always unhappy campers. Happens everywhere. Idk about the timing🤷.
Seems kind of disruptive to me.

Prosecky is technically a third year Sophomore,so he's eligible for the draft I believe.

Robinson, Schmeltz and Seed also done. I wouldn’t be surprised to see another pitcher or two bit the portal. Of these guys can’t throw strikes and or not get guys out at this level…they will need to look elsewhere.

They are all seniors. Don’t see a scenario they stick around for an extra covid year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT