ADVERTISEMENT

Lipscomb

More wild base running in which we just got lucky to blowing another inning with dumb gambles.

Benson a couple of bonehead plays. Spinning throw to second that was way overthrown and sliding for a ball and kicking it to the center field fence, totally unnecessary.

Strange happenings in the outfield 😅
Don't know quite what either one of those plays were by JT,the wild throw then the slide and kick-strange.
Forbes better get his counts or these guys can put up some runs.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Not sold on Rose leading off as Mac continues to search for that guy. Moore or Kilen look more like they fit that spot the best. If we fart around with these guys we will get our asses beat again.

Reactions: Bardman
I would lead off moore. Good eye at the plate, makes contact and hell on the base path. Hitting. 425 right now so that would be an easy sell

More McCoy struggles defensively. Bobbled one earlier and barely recovered. This time it cost an out.

I don't understand the number of pick off attempts at 2nd. I'm not seeing a whole lot of guys stealing 3rd so why?

Reactions: earsky
Please tell me someone is warming up. Think they just said no one was throwing. WTF?

I just don’t see it with this guy. D2 - why? Sooo many D1 pitchers in the portal and CDM and RW go for a D2 guy. Additionally, ONCE AGAIN, no one ready in the pen. It didn’t take long to see Karaba starting to struggle this inning.

Can't like how this game is going. I have no doubt that our memories are short from the whoopin we took last year from these guys. Just really strange baseball all the way around since about noon on Sunday.

On a rant now LOL. I hat is wrong with Klein’s arm. Every dang throw to second is bouncing. I like Klein BUT he has to figure out his arm.

Cards pitching is just subpar. Plain and simple. The lack of control has been an issue the last few seasons and this season looks the same.

I do agree that McDonnell constantly juggling the lineup is counterproductive. Coming off the loss to Northwestern, he should have went with the best lineup that's produced during this stretch of games.

Now we're down to Lipscomb who for some magical reason, owns the Cards. We really should have knocked that starting pitcher around as he was average at best.

I think the guys have let up a bit after winning 10 in a roll and are looking ahead to ACC play.

Reactions: rh62531
It's looking like one of those games where things just don't go your way. Three of the Cards RBI have been on outs. That's why the Cards haven't had a big inning.

On the other hand, Lipscomb is hitting homers instead of sacrifice flies. Baseball is a funny game sometimes as Lipscomb being 4 and 0 all-time against Louisville shows.

I don't recall Will looking so sharp in quite a while. Much needed and a pleasant surprise. Needless to say,if we can get this type middle relief from him going forward,it's a huge plus in ACC play.
Phillips and Koger key bullpen guys on the weekends.

Reactions: Bardman
Well, Gavin Kelan had enough of the sacrifice flies and went yard and turned the game around. He's looking like an all American in the making.

And Will Koger looked like a closer to me. It's going to be interesting in ACC play to see if all these offensive weapons the Cards have will get it done.

Very rough start to today’s game. Liggett hit hard. Starke hitting Lipscomb hitters hard LOL. Card hitters are not doing much if anything (at the moment).

More strange happenings on the basepaths and in the field. Dirty baseball

West looking good. Just not getting it done at the plate.

Damn nice comeback fellas 👏
Let's get a zero then come in and win this thing. Great job Eddie!

Hot damn, what a game. The Cards kept chipping away. When Benson came up to bat in the bottom of the 10th, I knew it was game over. The kid delivers.

Reactions: earsky
I am so glad Dan could not hear me asking to remove McCoy. Great comeback win

Hey, I was saying the same thing. His bat had been subpar. His bat picked up and then he started striking out again. Then his glove went MIA but his bat returned.
Fact is: His power is needed. If he is inconsistent it will hurt this team. If he can be consistent he will be a huge asset.

McCoy is what he is. He's never going to hit for average and he will strike out a lot. He however has tremendous power and will take advantage of bad pitches.

He's a classic mistake hitter. He should stay in the lineup and near the bottom of the order. Unless some other bat gets hot and can play first base, McCoy will start most of the season.

I think the biggest question is the Hoy, Alicia and Rose situations. Who of these three will see the most playing time? Can Rose play another position? I'm thinking Hoy will see the field the most of the three.

Will Beard and King continue to be backups? Will Moore and Humphrey hold onto to their starting spots? This is one of McDonnell's deepest position player teams.

Pitching on the other hand is up for grabs.

Hey, I was saying the same thing. His bat had been subpar. His bat picked up and then he started striking out again. Then his glove went MIA but his bat returned.
Fact is: His power is needed. If he is inconsistent it will hurt this team. If he can be consistent he will be a huge asset.
Baseball more than any other sport relies on confidence. McCoy started out hitting early in the lineup and struggled with the offspeed pitching, but instead of benching McCoy, Mac moved him down in the lineup so he can see more fastballs. I am guilty as most of second guessing all of sports coaches but I trust Coach Mac probably the most because he has earned that right. He is with these players nearly 9 months of the year almost daily. Benching players because they go 0-3 with 3 strikeouts probably hurts a player more than letting him work his way out of it. Every player who has ever played has gone through slumps. Baseball is a very humbling sport even when you're doing everything right.

I know everyone is focused on McCoy, but what about Logan Beard? He made 54 starts last year, and has almost disappeared. This year, he's started only 7 games, is hitting .235, and is an occasional DH. Senior-itis?

I think Logan is a good college player. Anderson has been too good to keep out of the lineup. Alicea and Hoy have been great at second. Where does he play? I would think he’d DH before Rose but I don’t make that decision.

I know everyone is focused on McCoy, but what about Logan Beard? He made 54 starts last year, and has almost disappeared. This year, he's started only 7 games, is hitting .235, and is an occasional DH. Senior-itis?
I personally think you will see more Beard when we start ACC play. He's a senior and hopefully can bring some leadership. What 95% of our fans never know is what kind of adversity these kids face personally. Not saying I know anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT