ADVERTISEMENT

If Pitino lays down to this UK in December he doesn't deserve to coach here

This UK team is going to be good but I'm not sold on them as much as their previous two teams.

Pitino has been laying down to UK and cal while terrible ooc and sec teams play them toe to toe.

Don't want to hear the excuses about it being at Rupp this year because we've been laying down to them at home too. Don't want to hear the excuses about refs because the game has been called evenly as of late.

Rick please please please no timid ass basketball against UK this year.

Final Four, Championship, Sweet 16 and an Elite 8 (with a bunch of knuckleheads mind you) and you're spouting this nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
The UofL fans that say it doesn't matter, it's an early season OOCgame, it's UK's super bowl, we're eyeing the big prize this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things, are all just weak excuses because we've lost so many times they don't expect to win. These same people can't wait to brag about our record against them in football (spare me the it's only a 12 game season so it means more, win all the conference games and it doesn't matter anymore than basketball unless we're good enough to be in the playoffs) They've owned us, admit it. People around here like to think our rivalry is one of the best in the country, it's means something to win for MOST fans of both sides, some people look for excuses to avoid reality. I'm not a Pitino fan at all, but you really can't argue with his overall success, but Cal owns him and if you think he's ok with that you're avoiding reality again, Rick would love for the record to be in our favor.. Quit making excuses and except it, you sound like slapdick fans.
WAAAAAAAAAY too many generalizations in that post...

No one's saying the LPT game doesn't matter. What people like me do say is that it matters more than any other nonconference game and any conference game that doesn't cost us a conference championship if lost. Or that it matters more if losing it leads to a significant drop in NCAA seed. IOW there are definitely seasonal goals that are higher priority.

I don't brag about our football record against them. Beating them means nothing nationally, even many times in a row. I WILL evoke the numbers to put them in their proper place or simply to put things in perspective. That's mostly a fact-based point or done to ridicule them, not something borne out of pride.

I find that terms like "being owned" and "making excuses" are used by U of L fans who are unduly frustrated by the series results and think that the rest of us should hold that same POV. It's also a pretty good sign of being their little brother.

"Elite program", my a$$...

I find that terms like "being owned" and "making excuses" are used by U of L fans who are unduly frustrated by the series results and think that the rest of us should hold that same POV. It's also a pretty good sign of being their little brother.

Wrong as usual.. Unduly frustrated ? What's Cals record against Rick since taking up residence in Lexington ? Nothing unduly about that, there's nothing wrong with expecting at least a 500 record against your rival when you're a top 5/6 team of all time.. As far as wanting you to share my/our point of view, wrong again, you and guys like you don't enter into my thoughts when I'm pissed about getting owned by the slapdicks. . And as far as little brother goes, there is no "bigger" little brother in Card nation than you Zipp, your infatuation with all things LPT is known from Paducah to Hazard and all points in between. .

Anyway, how bout this weather, huh ?

I know for 3 or 4 years back to back the Cards had players hurt just before gametime. Palacios a day or 2 before the game,even Deng got hurt during warmups one year, Bohannon in and out the next.In the early season games I bet we have played with our starting 5 only 2 or 3 times.The injured players was the norm for a few years if you remember.Had fans asking,is it the shoes,is CRP practicing them too hard.Although some of Ricks players are experienced he is still working on putting the pieces together for March,much like Denny use to do. Its always been next man up,when an injury occurs.UofK fans talk about Ricks first 5 years at Louisville vs Cals first 5 at UofK,...hell when Rick started at UofL there was no one and dones,look how many committed early to only go pro and not show up.Not the same with Cal,he brought guys he was recruiting for Memphis with him and others that WWW assigned there.They talk about their 2013 team loosing by only 4 to our championship team.That was in December,you don't really believe that your NIT team could have been close? Like I said,Rick has pieced teams together many times and has done better than most fans expected by the end of the season.Im talking about the injuries being epidemic like for a few years.How can anybody not remember that! And the one and only time during that stretch that a UofK player was injured, was when Noel went down.How did the great almighty Coach Cal handle that? It sure wasn't next man up was it?
He couldn't even muster up enough will in HIS TEAM to beat Robert FREAKING Morris

The UofL fans that say it doesn't matter, it's an early season OOCgame, it's UK's super bowl, we're eyeing the big prize this game means nothing in the grand scheme of things, are all just weak excuses because we've lost so many times they don't expect to win. These same people can't wait to brag about our record against them in football (spare me the it's only a 12 game season so it means more, win all the conference games and it doesn't matter anymore than basketball unless we're good enough to be in the playoffs) They've owned us, admit it. People around here like to think our rivalry is one of the best in the country, it's means something to win for MOST fans of both sides, some people look for excuses to avoid reality. I'm not a Pitino fan at all, but you really can't argue with his overall success, but Cal owns him and if you think he's ok with that you're avoiding reality again, Rick would love for the record to be in our favor.. Quit making excuses and except it, you sound like slapdick fans.
The game is a rivalry and it matters but it not close to the most important thing that determines whether a season is a success. Many fans think Cal is cheating to get the best class every year so its kind of hard to blame Pitino for not beating him when not cheating. They have owned us but many of is realize there are more important parts to the season. Lets say we do lose this year but win the Accc and make the final four. What do you want to happen to Pitino? Should we fire him? Should his job be in jeopardy?

Losing to Uk in football is different than losing in basketball. For one UK is good is basketball. If we lose the football game chances are we aren't that good and had a rough season.

We played ugly to keep the score respectable.

WHAT? In your initial post you said Louisville laid down. Now you say the score was respectable but we played ugly. I'm not sure how one keeps a score close by playing ugly. So the Cards laid down and played ugly? The fact of the matter is that Louisville lost to a team by 8 that was two wins away from doing what no team has done since 1976 - win them all. A team that beat Kansas and UCLA by 30+ point. In no stretch of the imagination did Louisville or Pitino lay down against Kentucky last season or any time in my memory.

Reactions: shadow force
It's no longer UofL versus UK. It's UofL versus agents, shoe companies, NBA, CAL, ESPN, the officials and NCAA. The whole dam system wants their guys to shine. And shine big. Else they all look like tools. We're against the entire marketing machine of the one and done system. ..and how great it is for basketball.

Call me less of a fan, but I don't play cards against a stacked deck.

Reactions: LockdownCard
The game is a rivalry and it matters but it not close to the most important thing that determines whether a season is a success. Many fans think Cal is cheating to get the best class every year so its kind of hard to blame Pitino for not beating him when not cheating. They have owned us but many of is realize there are more important parts to the season. Lets say we do lose this year but win the Accc and make the final four. What do you want to happen to Pitino? Should we fire him? Should his job be in jeopardy?

Losing to Uk in football is different than losing in basketball. For one UK is good is basketball. If we lose the football game chances are we aren't that good and had a rough season.

1st of all, I'm not in the "if he doesn't beat uk he has to be fired camp" although I personally don't like him.. 2nd, if he were "cheating " it most likely would have come out by now, that sounds like something a UK fan would say. 3rd, yeah, an ACC championship and a FF would be better than beating the slapdicks, but what does one have to do with the other ? It's like some of you people think if we put emphasis on winning this game it means we're sacrificing the rest of the season... Most UofL fans I know, and that's a lot, dread this game every year because of our lack of success since Cal got there, and like I said in my other post, it's not too much to ask to be at least 500 against your rival when you're a top 5/6 team of all time. As far as your football comment goes, they very easily could have beaten us the last 2 years, we've not been great the last 2 years but we haven't been that bad either.

Yep. It's their bread and butter if the game is close at half. Dip, duck, drive, ram and flail as if you just got shot.
LOL... You must never watch UK play other than the UofL game. And during that game, yes UK does dip, duck, and flail, due to the slap, grab, bump, defense that UofL employs every year.

It's no longer UofL versus UK. It's UofL versus agents, shoe companies, NBA, CAL, ESPN, the officials and NCAA. The whole dam system wants their guys to shine. And shine big. Else they all look like tools. We're against the entire marketing machine of the one and done system. ..and how great it is for basketball.

Call me less of a fan, but I don't play cards against a stacked deck.
Oh whay... :(

WHAT? In your initial post you said Louisville laid down. Now you say the score was respectable but we played ugly. I'm not sure how one keeps a score close by playing ugly. So the Cards laid down and played ugly? The fact of the matter is that Louisville lost to a team by 8 that was two wins away from doing what no team has done since 1976 - win them all. A team that beat Kansas and UCLA by 30+ point. In no stretch of the imagination did Louisville or Pitino lay down against Kentucky last season or any time in my memory.
Like I said man Louisville for some reason has laid down to UK since cal came and that's the truth whether you want to admit it or pretend like it's not. Numbers don't lie, just look at the 1-7 record and 0-2 in the tourney against UK since cal came. I'm not bashing rick because there is absolutely no reason to but this series shouldn't be this lopsided.

And last years game we played timid against them as usual. And yes we did have to ugly the game up to keep it close. Jones played like an ass and was an absolute clown out there. Trez only shot jumpers. Our bigs was scared. Our guards did ok. Our freshmen were terrified and Roziee was the only cardinal that came to play. If their jumpers were falling then we lost by 25 to them last year.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Like I said man Louisville for some reason has laid down to UK since cal came and that's the truth whether you want to admit it or pretend like it's not. Numbers don't lie, just look at the 1-7 record and 0-2 in the tourney against UK since cal came. I'm not bashing rick because there is absolutely no reason to but this series shouldn't be this lopsided.

And last years game we played timid against them as usual. And yes we did have to ugly the game up to keep it close. Jones played like an ass and was an absolute clown out there. Trez only shot jumpers. Our bigs was scared. Our guards did ok. Our freshmen were terrified and Roziee was the only cardinal that came to play. If their jumpers were falling then we lost by 25 to them last year.

Their jumpers haven't found bottom anytime during that 1-7 run. And we still lost. :confused: Gosh their freshman are good. ;)

Wrong as usual.. Unduly frustrated ? What's Cals record against Rick since taking up residence in Lexington ? Nothing unduly about that, there's nothing wrong with expecting at least a 500 record against your rival when you're a top 5/6 team of all time...
Through 2015, LPT has had 27 five star kids since Pitino Lite's arrival.

In that same timeframe, U of L is 2-6 against Duke and UNC who have had 20 five star kids between them.

U of L has had one of those kids through 2015.

Someone needs to correct me otherwise, but that looks like a trend. Yet, I don't see many little brothers on here whining about our dismal records against Carolina-based schools. Because you're not THEIR little brother.

The little brothers need to start their own little brother lament thread and one in which you clearly speak for yourselves. Make sure you identify it up front as "little brother thread", and leave those of us who choose not to measure ourselves against LPT out of it.

Reactions: blubo
Let's check out the difference in how each program views its failures. We'll have to include football - sorry UK fans - in the mix of what "dominance" actually means.

UK loses to Louisville every season and, like clockwork, each July and August they literally salivate looking forward to reclaiming the series domination. This year was uber-epic, ha ha - no one there believed for a second that UK would lose. Naturally, after the losses, their world crumbles appropriately as the scapegoat search takes on progressively meaner appetites.

Louisville loses to UK every Christmas/New Years and they continue soldiering on, in spite of the wrath felt by certain Louisville fans who view it as an abomination. Instead of calling Pitino's somewhat mild shrugging reaction to the losses an element of genius in keeping his team on the same track it was on prior to the game leading into the conference play he deems most important, these fans literally somehow want to pry out his fingernails. Luckily, it;s not that many. Meanwhile, while we do lose to them then, and even in some of the the Final Fours we end up making, sometimes we also win National Championships.

I somehow think there is a rather large difference.

You say we would have lost by 25 if they played better but ignore the fact that we had something to do with it. They blew out a lot good teams last year and we played them better than most did. They didn't lay down. There is 1 game against them that I felt we laid down and that was 2010. Every other game we generally gave them one of their harder games that year.

1st of all, I'm not in the "if he doesn't beat uk he has to be fired camp" although I personally don't like him.. 2nd, if he were "cheating " it most likely would have come out by now, that sounds like something a UK fan would say. 3rd, yeah, an ACC championship and a FF would be better than beating the slapdicks, but what does one have to do with the other ? It's like some of you people think if we put emphasis on winning this game it means we're sacrificing the rest of the season... Most UofL fans I know, and that's a lot, dread this game every year because of our lack of success since Cal got there, and like I said in my other post, it's not too much to ask to be at least 500 against your rival when you're a top 5/6 team of all time. As far as your football comment goes, they very easily could have beaten us the last 2 years, we've not been great the last 2 years but we haven't been that bad either.
Something isn't right there. He has 5 star players coming to sit on the bench behind other 5 stars. Whenever they need a player to change classes they end up doing it without issue. He has also been busted twice for cheating at his 2 previous jobs. Neither happened immediately. When you make blanket statements like he needs to win or else like the OP did then you bring up the question what happens if he does not beat uk? You accuse fans who don't flip out about the loss of lying to themselves when they say they don't like but also don't freak out about it. How do you know how they feel?

As for football. We almost lost to them the last 2 seasons with better teams. I blame the coaching staff for the way the games went. The staff's obsession with Bonnafon almost cost us the game last year.

Reactions: OmegaCard

I agree with the majority of your post, but the football game does mean much more than the basketball game.

Reactions: SoulSr
When you make blanket statements like he needs to win or else like the OP did then you bring up the question what happens if he does not beat uk? You accuse fans who don't flip out about the loss of lying to themselves when they say they don't like but also don't freak out about it. How do you know how they feel?

First of all, the first sentence of my post said "I'm not in the Rick needs to win or be fired camp"

2nd of all, I don't know how they feel, just what they post, that says enough for me...

Based on what I have seen out of UK since we beat Duke, U of L should be favored in this game by around 3.5 points. They are clearly the better team right now and I'd expect them to win by double digits on a neutral floor.

Rick just can't get it done..maybe I should join the "It's only a December non conference game" crowd. Another year same result. Coach should be embarrassed at the way he annually drops this game to uk.

Reactions: UKortho
Rick just can't get it done..maybe I should join the "It's only a December non conference game" crowd. Another year same result. Coach should be embarrassed at the way he annually drops this game to uk.
This game matters more than any other random otherwise meaningless game on our schedule. It doesn't matter more than the rest of the games--which includes most of our conference games.

If you feel otherwise, your perspective is simply offbase. Coaches, players, and rational fans are all in disagreement with you.

Losing to Uk in football is different than losing in basketball. For one UK is good is basketball. If we lose the football game chances are we aren't that good and had a rough season.[/QUOT

gocards if that helps you sleep at night then believe away. but honestly you sound like a IU fan. UK cheats so when UK beats us it's not really a loss because they cheat. like I said if it helps you sleep at nights. owe and if you think UL is not playing in grey areas when recruiting, like I said if it helps you sleep at nights.

So, is a two point loss "laying down", Lockdown?
Point being is we lost and I'm not taking the moral victory route. I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to this game coach has NO CONFIDENCE and I truly believe the players feed off that negatively as it shows in their play. We've played scared,passive and timid straight out of the gated to start the second half and that ultimately cost us the game because you can't play catch up at the same time while you're getting burnt three after three after three.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
This game matters more than any other random otherwise meaningless game on our schedule. It doesn't matter more than the rest of the games--which includes most of our conference games.

If you feel otherwise, your perspective is simply offbase. Coaches, players, and rational fans are all in disagreement with you.

Zipp I usually am all for the things you say but when it comes to the rivalry you are very idiotic. Your hate for UK has blinded you to the fact you constantly play down the rivalry as a meaningless game. It will just kill you to admit that the uk game matters, Cal constantly beating Rick matters.

Assume this is just sarcasm. The left bar vs. the second-from-right suggests another explanation...

5-star%20recruits_zpsi4y3troz.jpg

So it's simply a disparity in talent that keeps UK winning? The fact that UK plays Louisville with guys who just started playing together a month and a half before the game doesn't equate into the figure at all? You don't think it takes talent to put that roster together? Look at Coach K's difficulty handling that exact situation this year.

Pitino is a great coach. Great mind for the game. I do think that there is a failing on his part to handle this rivalry, however. You simply can't explain away 1-8 with "they have more talent, we have better coaching." The two times you have won recently, we went to the NIT and the game was close. You hung a banner in 13' and won by 3 at home. Just saying, it ain't all talent and its a cop out to say so. Cal is owning RIck on and off the court and the hard numbers prove it.

Reactions: trojantim66
So it's simply a disparity in talent that keeps UK winning? The fact that UK plays Louisville with guys who just started playing together a month and a half before the game doesn't equate into the figure at all? You don't think it takes talent to put that roster together? Look at Coach K's difficulty handling that exact situation this year.

Pitino is a great coach. Great mind for the game. I do think that there is a failing on his part to handle this rivalry, however. You simply can't explain away 1-8 with "they have more talent, we have better coaching." The two times you have won recently, we went to the NIT and the game was close. You hung a banner in 13' and won by 3 at home. Just saying, it ain't all talent and its a cop out to say so. Cal is owning RIck on and off the court and the hard numbers prove it.
I think you had FIVE 5-star kids today who got significant minutes. U of L had ZERO.

Any coach anywhere will tell you that's a significant edge in talent in addition to the home court advantage. Give Pitino and Pitino Lite the same talent, and let's tip it off.

"Elite program", my a$$....

It's not about it being either teams super bowl. Every year UK coaches and players want it more than us and it definitely shows in the 1-8 win/loss column.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you just said it's not about it being their Super Bowl even though it is, and that explains the wins and losses.

Good stuff.

I think you had FIVE 5-star kids today who got significant minutes. U of L had ZERO.

Any coach anywhere will tell you that's a significant edge in talent in addition to the home court advantage. Give Pitino and Pitino Lite the same talent, and let's tip it off.

Stop it dude ! Briscoe didn't even play and Hawkins outplayed Snider this Uk is nowhere near Calimari's other teams so talent is not even the issue Rick doesn't know how to caoch against Calipari plain and simple.

Who's fault is that? So Pitino can't recruit and "coaches up" the rest he can get? Sure, I'll take that as an excuse, but you are still underestimating the outliers of experience together and overall. Sure, having Alex and Dominique played a huge role today. Also, of our 5 star kids that played today, only Alex played well. Ulis (a 4star) and Hawkins (a 3 star) were two of our most important players.

This team has 12 games under their belt and you are acting like we are the freaking New York Knicks. There's no excuse for why Pitino can't compete with Cal.
There's no "fault". Pitino Lite just lands extraordinary talent. And that has next-to-nothing to do with what most people call "coaching".

U of L's record against Duke and UNC since 2010 is 2-6, about the same as our record against LPT. And look at that graph again and add up the number of 5-star kids on Duke's and Carolina's rosters.

Pretty easy analysis.

You just continue to spew nonsense while talking in circles zipp. I'm starting to believe that Homerblue account belongs to you man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT