ADVERTISEMENT

If Pitino lays down to this UK in December he doesn't deserve to coach here

LockdownCard

1500+
Nov 11, 2014
This UK team is going to be good but I'm not sold on them as much as their previous two teams.

Pitino has been laying down to UK and cal while terrible ooc and sec teams play them toe to toe.

Don't want to hear the excuses about it being at Rupp this year because we've been laying down to them at home too. Don't want to hear the excuses about refs because the game has been called evenly as of late.

Rick please please please no timid ass basketball against UK this year.

The games have been competitive, so I'm not sure what you mean by lay down. I have not seen any 'weak ass basketball' by UL when playing UK. UK has had the edge in talent, and will this year as well. But the game is always a war.
We are always world's better than the way we play UK. For some strange reason pitino just coaches poorly against them and that is why he's timid against UK. He may not care to win the game but us fans certainly do.

Every year we come out shaky and flat. I hate cal with a passion but one thing I admire is how much he is in tuned with the rivalry. Treats it and approaches it like a title game while Pitino just dismisses it arrogantly like it means nothing.

I'd like to beat them, but this game is more important to us, we have 18 conference games that are more important.

If we are going to be a top five team at this point, we must beat Michigan State and UK.

It's a big game. It's a rivalry game. It means a lot to the fans and to both programs. There is no denying that. The consolation is the outcome means little to the overall body of work. It's just one out of conference game in that sense.

UofK has dominated the outcome of the games recently, but the last 3 wins by UofK have been battles to the end. Pitino didn't "lay down" as the OP suggested. The talent level was grossly in Calipari's favor and his inability to coach better against Pitino is why the games were closer than they probably should have been.

Not much has changed. Calipari still has a ton of raw talent, and Pitino has put together a roster that is better than most people thought it would be. Because of Calipari's inability to coach up his talent to their level, the game will be probably be a battle again. Maybe the Cardinals can win this battle this year. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: American Male
This UK team is going to be good but I'm not sold on them as much as their previous two teams.

Pitino has been laying down to UK and cal while terrible ooc and sec teams play them toe to toe.

Don't want to hear the excuses about it being at Rupp this year because we've been laying down to them at home too. Don't want to hear the excuses about refs because the game has been called evenly as of late.

Rick please please please no timid ass basketball against UK this year.
A lot to overcome at Rupp. I watched some of their game last night and they shot over 40 free throws to the opponents 10. Seems like every time down the floor they either scored or went to the line while at the other end kids were getting fouled and no call was made.

Reactions: Louisvillian
I'd like to beat them, but this game is more important to us, we have 18 conference games that are more important.
Way to set up the straw man... LOL... LockdownCard is proof that there are MANY UofL fans that want desperately to win that game, even if its just an OOC game that means nothing, as you say.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
A lot to overcome at Rupp. I watched some of their game last night and they shot over 40 free throws to the opponents 10. Seems like every time down the floor they either scored or went to the line while at the other end kids were getting fouled and no call was made.
You and I didn't watch the same game obviously. The reason UK was at the line so much was because Illinois St played physical to stay in the game, it was their only chance. But, in the end, it didnt matter much considering how poorly UK shoots free throws.

Don't like playing uk in any sport. The rivalry is damaging to the city and state because it is so much more than just one fan base vs the other. Their fan base hates Louisville and runs this state - worst run state in the country. Top of all bad lists and bottom of all good lists.
Not optimistic about the women's game this year. Could have won these past 4 years - Sara Hammond never beat them. And now, we are 1-4. :-(
Ellen

You and I didn't watch the same game obviously. The reason UK was at the line so much was because Illinois St played physical to stay in the game, it was their only chance. But, in the end, it didnt matter much considering how poorly UK shoots free throws.

Having your best players foul out does matter. I watched the game, ISU didn't settle for jumpers, if you think that Kentucky wasn't fouling also you are delusional. Heck, with a few minutes left, Murray knocked a guy sideways at mid court, stole the ball, and the other guy gets called for fouling Murray at the other end. If Louisville had a game that was officiated like that, your fanbase would be foaming at the mouth.

All ball, right?
<iframe src="" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

Blocked it so hard the ball still went up. Must be the coaching

Reactions: OmegaCard

UL's defense is about the same as ISU......look for a repeat in the free throw category.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
Having your best players foul out does matter. I watched the game, ISU didn't settle for jumpers, if you think that Kentucky wasn't fouling also you are delusional. Heck, with a few minutes left, Murray knocked a guy sideways at mid court, stole the ball, and the other guy gets called for fouling Murray at the other end. If Louisville had a game that was officiated like that, your fanbase would be foaming at the mouth.
The usual Rupp Arena bias for UofK occurred last night. UofK shot 46 free throws. ISU shot 10. UofK hit 29 free thows. ISU hit 8. UofK won by 12.

Nothing else needs to be said. It speaks for itself.

The usual Rupp Arena bias for UofK occurred last night. UofK shot 46 free throws. ISU shot 10. UofK hit 29 free thows. ISU hit 8. UofK won by 12.

ISU didn't get the memo on the rule changes.......i.e...hand checking, arm bar , etc

Not quite... context matters. FT definitely made a difference in that game; but was it because the refs were in UKs pocket, or was it because ISU used a lot of fouling to slow down the much faster paced and more talented UK?

Hey i love the GAME. Really its the people who look at this GAME and there school as a part of there identity. It is a family and friend event. I love it. Cook out ,hang out with fam n friends and get into the game together.

Some people take the fun out of coll sports because they make it personal. We all still live in a state tha we need to fix. I think we all can look past a game to be civil to each other.

Not quite... context matters. FT definitely made a difference in that game; but was it because the refs were in UKs pocket, or was it because ISU used a lot of fouling to slow down the much faster paced and more talented UK?
I was flipping back and forth last night while watching an NBA game, and what bits of the game I saw, the context fit the free throw disparity. The one "block" in this very thread shows exactly what I'm talking about. That ISU player got hammered and nothing was called. It happened like that each and every time I tuned it in. I guess it's possible I only saw small insignificant snips of only ISU getting screwed. Yep, I'm sure that's it.

46 to 10 from the free throw line when the difference in 3 point shooting isn't off the charts wide tells me the game was called in UofK's favor. Not unusual or surprising in Rupp Arena. UofK hit 29 free throws. ISU only shot 10 and hit 8. When you get outscored 29-8 from the free throw line, you probably are going to lose and lose big. Since UofK won by 12 in spite of scoring 21 more points from the charity stripe, then it's pretty clear the refs decided the outcome, not the players.

Reactions: OmegaCard
I was flipping back and forth last night while watching an NBA game, and what bits of the game I saw, the context fit the free throw disparity. The one "block" in this very thread shows exactly what I'm talking about. That ISU player got hammered and nothing was called. It happened like that each and every time I tuned it in. I guess it's possible I only saw small insignificant snips of only ISU getting screwed. Yep, I'm sure that's it.

46 to 10 from the free throw line when the difference in 3 point shooting isn't off the charts wide tells me the game was called in UofK's favor. Not unusual or surprising in Rupp Arena. UofK hit 29 free throws. ISU only shot 10 and hit 8. When you get outscored 29-8 from the free throw line, you probably are going to lose and lose big. Since UofK won by 12 in spite of scoring 21 more points from the charity stripe, then it's pretty clear the refs decided the outcome, not the players.

Yep. Integrity of the game is almost gone.

All ball, right?
<iframe src=" " width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

Are you saying that was a foul on Briscoe? There may have been a lot of missed calls in that game, but that definitely wasn't one of them. If you watch it frame by frame, he very clearly got a piece of the ball first (the ball didn't keep going up; he hit it with his finger, which caused it to stop in the air). Sure, he hit his arm on the follow through, but that doesn't matter once he hit the ball first. Not even a close call. Again, I am not saying there weren't missed calls or that there wasn't a huge foul disparity, but that is simply a poor example to choose because it was not a foul.

Also, not sure why everyone is saying that UK may win due to the officiating in Rupp. UK and UofL have played 8 times since Cal arrived. Louisville has only won of those games, despite 3 being played at YUM and 2 in the NCAA tournament. And the one game Louisville won was UK's NIT team against Louisville's title team, and the game was still very close at YUM. My point is that I don't think anyone can use the officials as an excuse in the series lately.

All ball, right?
<iframe src=" " width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

Nope, looked like a foul there. Some get missed. Nevertheless, one missed call hardly supports your argument that UK gets all of the calls at home. If you were a UK fan and watched many of their home games, you'd certainly think differently.

You said it yourself, you didn't watch the game, only a small sample, and then read the box score and made an assumption that fits your narrative - that UK gets favorable calls at home. You obviously don't watch many UK home games, as I hardly watch any UofL home games, but if you were to ask most UK fans if it's true, they'd almost certainly disagree. Most of the time it seems like KerryRhodes, Zipp and LockdownCard are reffing the games the crap calls they get/dont get. In this particular game, the disparity was due in large part to ISU's very physical game plan. It was their intention to hack and grab to disrupt any offensive flow, and it worked. They just didn't do it well enough to win.

Reactions: DTDcatfan
Russ and Luke's senior year we beat ourselves in the sweet 16 game. 13-23 at FT line for one of the best shooting teams we've had in a while.

Russ and Luke's senior year we beat ourselves in the sweet 16 game. 13-23 at FT line for one of the best shooting teams we've had in a while.
Russ shot us out of that sweet 16 game. That game stings more than the ff lost in 2012.

it is time that this U of L Rick coached BB team go and beat them. Sorry a rivarly is only a rivarly when both teams beat each other. Any fan with common sense knows when U of L plays them we all of sudden don't know how to play BB. I've seen these same U of L teams play other opponents that had just as musch talent and cards play above themselves . U k always seems to have a Josh Harrelson type kid play above their heads in the series. this year will be a Willis or hawkins . We need a win period. Who doesn't get tired of us losing to them if you aren't upset you are not a true fan.

Glad there are some folks on here not downplaying this rivalry game. I'm sick of some fans acting like this game is less important than conference games. I hate when UofL loses to UK in any sport and I'm tired of us getting pushed around by UK in bball. I want our guys to play fearlessly against them and beat their a$$es.

I agree everyone wants t beat UK. But to claim RP doesn't belong here if he doesn't....that's ignorant! So what? UK is hardly a college team anymore. ESPN/NBA could care less about our guys compared to UK. Their guys already got their tickets stamped. So any chance they get to promote them they will. Nothing more high-profile than UK/UofL RP/Cal.

Guess we didn't watch the same game because I saw the only way Kentucky stayed in the game was going to the line over 40 times. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have but I did see the same type of fouls committed on both ends but only called on one.

Reactions: Cue Card
Guess we didn't watch the same game because I saw the only way Kentucky stayed in the game was going to the line over 40 times. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have but I did see the same type of fouls committed on both ends but only called on one.

That's because of the dribble drive and jump into the defender offense Cal runs.

I agree everyone wants t beat UK. But to claim RP doesn't belong here if he doesn't....that's ignorant! So what? UK is hardly a college team anymore. ESPN/NBA could care less about our guys compared to UK. Their guys already got their tickets stamped. So any chance they get to promote them they will. Nothing more high-profile than UK/UofL RP/Cal.
No his window of beating them is steadily closing and it's crazy how fans have the UK football loser mentality when it comes to when we play them in basketball. We've left two titles on the table because Pitino forgets how to coach when he faces his old school. The "That game don't matter because it's a December non conference game" ppl are in denial and act like they haven't sent two of our best teams home in March/April.

Too many fans have developed battered wife syndrome ever since cal arrived in Lexington.

I think it's time to lock out Lockdown. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm done reading his obvious flame bait drivel about a hall of fame coach.

Welcome to the ignore list LockdownCard.

I think it's time to lock out Lockdown. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm done reading his obvious flame bait drivel about a hall of fame coach.

Welcome to the ignore list LockdownCard.

I do question his timing. Only SuCkS fans bring up the basketball after their
latest fiasco in football against the Cards. Not saying he is a Scat fan, but to
focus on a game 27 days away, and not MSU is puzzling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT