ADVERTISEMENT

Huntley-Hatfield

in all honesty, if he returns and can give us a good 20-25 minute effort each game, and with Okorafor in the mix, i'm now predicting you will see at least two if not three upsets down the stretch. and we will be feared in the acc tourney (now that's sarcasm on this last part but you never know......)

Last edited:
Won't stop rooting for these guys I feel a little disappointed in his play this year. Maybe that's my fault for setting expectations too high but I really thought he'd put up better #'s and play tougher. But he's a young guy, he has time to improve. Hopefully he returns next season.

Maybe that's my fault for setting expectations too high
Happiness = Reality/Expectation meaning if you have no expectations you can only be happy and the more expectations you have the less happiness you will have in your life. i guess i came into this season with zero expectations. now next year, i expect to be way better, but this year i had none.

Happiness = Reality/Expectation meaning if you have no expectations you can only be happy and the more expectations you have the less happiness you will have in your life. i guess i came into this season with zero expectations. now next year, i expect to be way better, but this year i had none.
I’m curious as to why you expect things to be way better next year. I’m not busting your chops, but I would like to know what it is you see that I don’t.

I’m curious as to why you expect things to be way better next year. I’m not busting your chops, but I would like to know what it is you see that I don’t.
for this year, we sucked ending last year, lost decent players, and current players left have their fourth coaching style in two years (mack, pegues, mack again with new terms, pegues again, payne - and thus a another change would be stupid) and thus had no expectations. then considering ncaa probe was hanging over our heads no way we were going to sign any kids period with our turmoil. so no recruits, no players, new coach... no chance this year. were worse than i thought we'd be but i didn't think we had any players to start with and the ones we had don;t know basic fundamentals and that's not on KP. they simply don;t have high bball iq's. they've lived off talent and nothing else.

now for next year, i fully expect some recruits to be signed. i fully expect to be the kind fo players KP wants and nto the one's he came in to. for those who think somehow he is going to bring us a top 10 class, well RP never did that and in most cases he rarely if ever got even top 20 recruits. adn the ones he did recruit that high either never came or were absolute failures based on their projections. RP won here with 4 and 3 stars kids who gelled, had a senior PG runnign the show and a dominate pick adn roll no one could stop btu they had Siva running the show. btu simply RP won with lesser talent.

and KP will recruit the same way and i think if oyu give him a few kids, let the young guys get some confidence going into next year, there's no reason to think we cannot win 20 next year. this year is simply a fluke base don a whirlwind of circumstances. when i watch the games i see the coaching but i see players who just don;t knwo how to play the game for 40 minutes.

but if go back in posts form years past i constantly complained how RP teams many many times came out and laid an egg and got drubbed by 20. we complained tons of times how we constantly turn the ball over on bfast breaks. how we constantly failed. then in 2013 it all came together but RP had many years and many games where we got outplayed, out coached out shot and out hussled. except for 2013 i thought rp was mostly a failure and he never brought the talent he had at uk.

so bring on next year!!!

I have zero confidence things will be better next year with Payne as coach. So far he has not provided a glimmer of hope. He better kill it in the portal this off season to even have a sliver of a chance to do better next season.

He needs to bring on some guards, especially a couple of point guards, that can contribute right away ASAP. Another shooting guard as well. If the players like James and Lands can play their true position at SF, it could help their games.

But the bar is so low after this disappointing of a season that I worry if Payne wins 8 to 10 games next year some people will say it's a huge improvement and want to keep him for a third year.

I have zero confidence things will be better next year with Payne as coach. So far he has not provided a glimmer of hope. He better kill it in the portal this off season to even have a sliver of a chance to do better next season.

He needs to bring on some guards, especially a couple of point guards, that can contribute right away ASAP. Another shooting guard as well. If the players like James and Lands can play their true position at SF, it could help their games.

But the bar is so low after this disappointing of a season that I worry if Payne wins 8 to 10 games next year some people will say it's a huge improvement and want to keep him for a third year.
i won't be satisfied next year with 10 wins. if we're not somewhere around 10-6 or 9-5 halfway thru next year then he should probably be gone.

for this year, we sucked ending last year, lost decent players, and current players left have their fourth coaching style in two years (mack, pegues, mack again with new terms, pegues again, payne - and thus a another change would be stupid) and thus had no expectations. then considering ncaa probe was hanging over our heads no way we were going to sign any kids period with our turmoil. so no recruits, no players, new coach... no chance this year. were worse than i thought we'd be but i didn't think we had any players to start with and the ones we had don;t know basic fundamentals and that's not on KP. they simply don;t have high bball iq's. they've lived off talent and nothing else.

now for next year, i fully expect some recruits to be signed. i fully expect to be the kind fo players KP wants and nto the one's he came in to. for those who think somehow he is going to bring us a top 10 class, well RP never did that and in most cases he rarely if ever got even top 20 recruits. adn the ones he did recruit that high either never came or were absolute failures based on their projections. RP won here with 4 and 3 stars kids who gelled, had a senior PG runnign the show and a dominate pick adn roll no one could stop btu they had Siva running the show. btu simply RP won with lesser talent.

and KP will recruit the same way and i think if oyu give him a few kids, let the young guys get some confidence going into next year, there's no reason to think we cannot win 20 next year. this year is simply a fluke base don a whirlwind of circumstances. when i watch the games i see the coaching but i see players who just don;t knwo how to play the game for 40 minutes.

but if go back in posts form years past i constantly complained how RP teams many many times came out and laid an egg and got drubbed by 20. we complained tons of times how we constantly turn the ball over on bfast breaks. how we constantly failed. then in 2013 it all came together but RP had many years and many games where we got outplayed, out coached out shot and out hussled. except for 2013 i thought rp was mostly a failure and he never brought the talent he had at uk.

so bring on next year!!!
Nope. I just don’t see it. Where will these new players come from. Who looks at Louisville right now and thinks “Hey, that looks like a good program for me”? Who looks at KP and thinks, “Yeah, look what he’s done so far…I need to be coached by that guy”? I’ll be surprised if we hang on to even a few of our current players and even more surprised if our current commits follow through.
I know playing time and NIL can influence some players, but if a decent player is looking at his options I don’t believe Louisville looks like a good option as long as KP is at the helm. With NIL in the game, it’s a bidding war for top players. Enticements of all sorts are being used to attract great talent. As we sit here today, Louisville does not look like a player in the high stakes game of player recruitment. And if we’re thinking we get lesser players and develop the ala Pitino, well……we haven’t seen anything so far to believe that’s a possibility.
Finally, “Getting the players that Kenny wants/needs” is not the end all be all. KP still hasn’t shown that he is a capable HC.

Nope. I just don’t see it. Where will these new players come from. Who looks at Louisville right now and thinks “Hey, that looks like a good program for me”? Who looks at KP and thinks, “Yeah, look what he’s done so far…I need to be coached by that guy”? I’ll be surprised if we hang on to even a few of our current players and even more surprised if our current commits follow through.
I know playing time and NIL can influence some players, but if a decent player is looking at his options I don’t believe Louisville looks like a good option as long as KP is at the helm. With NIL in the game, it’s a bidding war for top players. Enticements of all sorts are being used to attract great talent. As we sit here today, Louisville does not look like a player in the high stakes game of player recruitment. And if we’re thinking we get lesser players and develop the ala Pitino, well……we haven’t seen anything so far to believe that’s a possibility.
Finally, “Getting the players that Kenny wants/needs” is not the end all be all. KP still hasn’t shown that he is a capable HC.
funny thing is i'm a pessimist but for some reason have hope in this situation

so bring on next year!!!
With perhaps one exception, none if the players that should be retained, have played for anyone but Payne. Given that, I don’t think hiring someone else who’s actually competent, would be stupid.

Besides, 95% of players today don’t care about coaching changes - how many different HS and AAU coaches have they already played for before getting college?For further evidence, simply look at the sheer numbers of them that enter in the portal every year. It’s “can this person help me get to where I want to go”.

What prospective high level recruit could honestly look at Payne and say he’s the guy to do that? Clearly the majority of the current roster doesn’t believe that - if they did, they might actually give consistent effort.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Besides, 95% of players today don’t care about coaching changes - how many different HS and AAU coaches have they already played for before getting college?For further evidence, simply look at the sheer numbers of them that enter in the portal every year. It’s “can this person help me get to where I want to go”.
not quite apples to apples, there's not coaching in AAU and HS, it's just give the damn ball to the best player and let him dominate. not quite team games. more isolation ball. and best players dominate w/o much competition. college whole different story. and they are being drilled everyday on how to play and every six months someone new is telling them to play differently. and with the portal, again, most are going somewhere that learning doesn;t need to happen, they go where they can just come in and shoot or play D but transfers on the whole do not change a team nor dominate. they tend to be complimentary players unless they are simply coming to a team that sucks. and in the portal cases most are upper classman who've been playing in systems and know some fundamentals. they are not top 10 recruits who can change a program.

even simpler answer.... to quote Robert Kennedy-
“Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not.”

and if i'm right i look like the greatest genius on this board (which doesn't take much lol) and if i'm wrong i am still right because i was one of the few who said never hire a first time coach, we are a top 10 program and he has no experience so don't hire him in the first place. i was anti-KP from the start but i drank his kool-aid

Reactions: Tenncard
if i'm wrong i am still right because i was one of the few who said never hire a first time coach, we are a top 10 program and he has no experience so don't hire him in the first place. i was anti-KP from the start but i drank his kool-aid
Nearly the entire board was against the hire because he had never coached before, among other reasons. Sorry you were just not one of the few that said the program needed an experienced HC. I think about 90% of the posters didn't want him because he had no experience this is a pretty wild claim you're trying to claim here.

What prospective high level recruit could honestly look at Payne and say he’s the guy to do that? Clearly the majority of the current roster doesn’t believe that - if they did, they might actually give consistent effort.
To have any hope for a better season he's going to have to land a legit PG so let's see what he does. Of course if he does that doesn't mean hey things are great. But if he whiffs on a PG again I see no hope for next year, at all.

All that said I fear the $ is the driving factor and there ain't any, so I'm actually bracing for a long term KP era. Doesn't matter what I want it's just what I think is on the table. But if he has a near identical record next year he could be in peril it's just hard to say!

If anything, the performance against UVA demonstrated there is some talent on this UL roster, capable of competing in the ACC, but it also provided ample evidence as to just how unqualified KP is as HC.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Very little talent across the board. Equal amounts coaching and player.

not quite apples to apples, there's not coaching in AAU and HS, it's just give the damn ball to the best player and let him dominate. not quite team games. more isolation ball. and best players dominate w/o much competition. college whole different story. and they are being drilled everyday on how to play and every six months someone new is telling them to play differently. and with the portal, again, most are going somewhere that learning doesn;t need to happen, they go where they can just come in and shoot or play D but transfers on the whole do not change a team nor dominate. they tend to be complimentary players unless they are simply coming to a team that sucks. and in the portal cases most are upper classman who've been playing in systems and know some fundamentals. they are not top 10 recruits who can change a program.

You say high school coaches don't coach 🤣..I personally know several high school coaches that could coach circles around KP.

KP could bring in Steph Curry and Spider Mitchell next year and still struggle to make the tournament. HE CAN'T COACH !!

Hope is a desperate last resort action when there are no other options.

We still have other options.

You may have a point about AAU but, you’re completely wrong about HS. Running different sets - either offensively or defensively - is not telling players how to play differently. Additionally players need to be adaptive as the further they go in the game, they will play for multiple coaches with different styles.

As far as the players having difficulty switching to a new coach - given that Payne has no style/plan - I’d say that it would be fairly easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT